ID Me: In Sword We Trust (1996?)

All requests to identify actors in images.

ID Me: In Sword We Trust (1996?)

Postby Gaijin84 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:42 pm

Gaijin84
HKMDB Immortal

Re: ID Me: In Sword We Trust (1996?)

Postby Gaijin84 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:02 pm

There seem to be some blatant misidentifications here - if no one objects I'll remove the IDs of Ge Sha and Da Ni-Ya (2)
Gaijin84
HKMDB Immortal

Postby yukabacera » Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:59 pm

I added those IDs. What is the issue with them?
yukabacera
HKMDB Editor

Postby Gaijin84 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:40 pm

I guess I'm presuming things, but they both look Caucasian. Are their names translations? Where did you find the information?
Gaijin84
HKMDB Immortal

Postby yukabacera » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:12 pm

The credits have character names, like a lot of Mainland movies. I just fast-forwarded through the movie to watch some key scenes and matched them to those. The guy who plays the British officer who gets impaled(? don't remember exactly) at the end is definitely Caucasian and 達尼亞 doesn't really sound like a real Chinese name either. Ge Sha, the actor who plays the priest, is Russian according to this website: http://cn.hkiaa.ca/hkiaa.ca/cn/gesha.aspx (there is a photo of him there too) but other sources say he's mixed Chinese and Russian. Either way, I can say with confidence that is him since I've also seen him in GUIDE (playing a foreigner again, of course!)

If I remember correctly, in the end I based the 達尼亞 ID on a press still that shows his death scene and identifies him as 戈林. The priest was less ambiguous since he's called 威拉裡 a lot by the other characters.
yukabacera
HKMDB Editor

Postby Gaijin84 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:30 pm

Ok, sounds good. The version I saw had no credits so I was confused where the IDs came from. Thanks!
Gaijin84
HKMDB Immortal

Postby yukabacera » Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:19 pm

Went over this movie a bit again. Tagged Li Wei*, Li Xida and Chen Hai. Not in the DB:
- THIS is Song Linlin (宋林林)
- THIS is Li Dagang (李大剛)
- THIS is Li Guoli (李國麗)

Liang Minghua (梁明華) is one of the British, but I'm not sure which one and I don't think he's among the portraits. Yang Xinyu is also not in the current set of portraits.

*I think this Li Wei and the Li Wei from Winner aren't the same person, since I checked that movie to help ID him in this one, but I don't know about the 1988 movie - I briefly checked that one too, but he has no role name there and there's lots of extras. I don't know which movie the name was first assigned to, so I'm not sure which of the two (three?) actors should take this page over... I think the 'Winner' Li Wei might be the first, since I seem to recall it was me who added him to both this movie and the other one. I've left him tagged for convenience for now, though.
yukabacera
HKMDB Editor

Postby Gaijin84 » Wed May 11, 2022 11:37 pm

yukabacera wrote:Liang Minghua (梁明華) is one of the British, but I'm not sure which one and I don't think he's among the portraits. Yang Xinyu is also not in the current set of portraits.

I pulled every character with screen time for IDs, but I would not be surprised if I watched an edited version of the film.
Gaijin84
HKMDB Immortal

Postby yukabacera » Thu May 12, 2022 5:22 am

Gaijin84 wrote:I pulled every character with screen time for IDs, but I would not be surprised if I watched an edited version of the film.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply you neglected to make a portrait of them - your gallery is excellent and very thorough. There just don't seem to be many clear shots of either of them in the movie. I think Liang should be the short guy with big ears who reports to Price (Song Linlin) - now that I take a closer look, that should be him in the back of Song Linlin's portrait - and Yang is one of the Buddhist monks - probably the one who appears the most, but still a very minor character and not even shown face-on at any point, as far as I could tell.
yukabacera
HKMDB Editor

Return to Actor Identification