New movie: 花心財神 aka 狐狸兵團 (1984)

Additions and modifications to the database

New movie: 花心財神 aka 狐狸兵團 (1984)

Postby Michael Kistner » Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:14 am

Added that new movie:

https://hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtml? ... ay_set=eng

with credit images with a few missing names I not added (cast and crew):

https://hkmdb.com/db/movies/credits.mht ... ay_set=eng

Online you find the movie as 花心財神 on a few chinese pages with a image from a advertisement (watermarked).
I choose the translation of that title as English title - be free to correct me.

My copy has sadly no end titles. I guessed the martial arts director - but it is very obvious if you watch the action in the movie.

The movie is a not very funny comedy but with many stars and the last 30 minutes have non-stop action with good stunts.

Happy christmas :D
Michael Kistner
HKMDB Immortal

Re: New movie: 花心財神 aka 狐狸兵團 (1984)

Postby Chen Hung Lieh » Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:29 pm

Happy Christmas, Michael, and all other editors and immortals^^

Hate to nag about your great work, but...
Michael Kistner wrote:I choose the translation of that title as English title - be free to correct me.
I know I could feel free to just change the english title, as you suggested, but I would prefer an agreement with all editors that we ALL either generally don't translate chinese titles on our own OR allow it for everyone (in the latter case I wouldn't change it, not even sure what it exactly means). It makes no sense if I change it now into pinyin and another editor with a different opinion later feels free to translate it again.

I know how tempting it can be to translate a title oneself, almost did that myself with another lost wuxia title meaning "Golden Swallow", but then I stopped and chose Pinyin because I didn't feel authorized to invent titles that might later be mistaken for official ones. There were (and maybe still are) also examples of self-translated titles that disastrously went wrong.

I personally wouldn't argue against literal titles provided they are added as alias only and with a clear note "HKMDB translated", or similar.
Chen Hung Lieh
HKMDB Editor

Postby Harlock » Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:42 pm

just to be clear literal translation are not authorized... you can change it in pinyin, no problems.

and Merry Christmas to all editors and users !!
Harlock
HKMDB Immortal and Co-Developer

Postby yukabacera » Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:23 pm

Nice work adding this movie, Michael. I was going to try and add it from some information I gathered from various sources at some point, but it's much better to add it from an actual copy.

The original Chinese title is 唔係嘢少 and I think the English title is The Investigator, but I have to check that (not at home so can't access my files right now.) The 花心財神 title is from the its (first?) theatrical release in 1984 in Singapore (for which the English title was The Boo Boo Investigator.) I think it was shot around 1982 but it was never released in Hong Kong. The director 'Yuen Kong' is actually an alias for Yuan Fan-ta - I assume that applies to the other Shaw movie credits as well but I don't know about the 1974 credit.

Finally, yes, have a nice Christmas everyone!
yukabacera
HKMDB Editor

Postby Michael Kistner » Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:55 am

Thanks for your input!

I had a bad feeling about GOD OF WEALTH as title, but I had hesitated to call it HUA XIN CAI SHEN.

Changed the English title for the moment to The Boo Boo Investigator.
If you find your files with proof for the other title we can change it to THE INVESTIGATOR.

A original poster or lobby card would be great.

What are your feelings about the main chinese title for the hkmdb?

唔係嘢少 - original Chinese title?
花心財神 - theatrical release in 1984 in Singapore
狐狸兵團 - title in the credits

the director 'Yuen Kong' is actually an alias for Yuan Fan-ta - I assume that applies to the other Shaw movie credits as well but I don't know about the 1974 credit.

Someone objects if I merge the directors (without the 1974 Taiwan movie)?
Michael Kistner
HKMDB Immortal

Postby yukabacera » Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:16 pm

Here is the lobby card with the original titles:

The 狐狸兵團 title is from the Taiwanese release, by the way, which was in 1986 or so. I think we should use the original Chinese title 唔係嘢少 as the primary one. The other two were used for the Singapore and Taiwan markets - 唔係嘢少 is a Cantonese expression with colloquial Cantonese characters so it wouldn't have been suitable for the Mandarin dub. I assume that's why it was changed.

By the way, Michael, your guess of the martial arts director is correct according to the lobby card!
yukabacera
HKMDB Editor

Postby Michael Kistner » Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:14 am

Thanks!

Changed the chinese and the English primary title.
Michael Kistner
HKMDB Immortal

Return to Additions and Modifications