The Merciful Sword (1971) Shaw brothers movie?

Additions and modifications to the database

The Merciful Sword (1971) Shaw brothers movie?

Postby Chen Hung Lieh » Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:26 pm

https://hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtml? ... ay_set=eng

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=43117&hilit=merciful+sword
calros wrote:"Merciful Sword": added 1 prod. company, producers, 1 writer, phot., art dir. and 1 actor.

Somebody added Shaw Bros. as prod. company. I think this is wrong.
I think too Shaw Brothers is wrong. According poster it was a collaboration between Hsien Dai & Chien Hwa Film, no sign of SB in the two posters. I've also checked the advertisements in the HK newspaper digital archive, not a single ad mentions SB, not even as a distributor. SB movies usually have a Shaw Scope logo in the ad.

If no one objects, I will delete Shaw Brothers and add Chien Hwa Film Co. Ltd. in 2 weeks.
Chen Hung Lieh
HKMDB Editor

Re: The Merciful Sword (1971) Shaw brothers movie?

Postby yukabacera » Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:47 pm

Nice catch, I agree. Maybe the confusion stems from the fact it was shown in the Shaw circuit in Singapore. If an editor way back then had or saw one of those ubiquitous flyers and it had the Shaw logo on it, he might have added it based on that. It seems to have become quite a widespread error across the internet though.
yukabacera
HKMDB Editor

Re: The Merciful Sword (1971) Shaw brothers movie?

Postby Chen Hung Lieh » Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:32 am

Almost forgot this topic...

yukabacera wrote:Maybe the confusion stems from the fact it was shown in the Shaw circuit in Singapore. If an editor way back then had or saw one of those ubiquitous flyers and it had the Shaw logo on it, he might have added it based on that.

Makes sense, I know what flyers you mean.

Shaw Brothers removed.
Chen Hung Lieh
HKMDB Editor

Return to Additions and Modifications