Unknown Hong Kong film with dragons

Additions and modifications to the database

Unknown Hong Kong film with dragons

Postby Kaiju No. 14 » Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:07 am

Hi, I just wanted to ask, according to a book found online, Eiji Tsuburaya worked on a film at Nihon University for a Hong Kong film with a man who battles a dragon during the 1960s. Here is the quote in the 2001 Japanese book The Visual World of Eiji Tsuburaya: 円谷特技研究所の代表作は、『太平洋ひとりぼっち』とか、インドにスタッフを派遣し、インド映画の製作に参加した作品とか、レナウンのイエイエのCMなどがあるけれど、英二自らが手を下した香港映画の龍が舞うシーンが私自身には忘れられない。この香港映画では研究所のスタッフが他の仕事で殆ど参加出来なかったので、私も現場を手伝うチャンスに恵まれた。日大のステージを使用させてもらい撮影した。中国風の龍を上から吊り、操演したものと、中国の時代劇の衣裳を着た男優との決闘場面がそれである。その編集作業を英二は自宅の応接間に持ち込んで、私にネガ合せをさせたのだ。
(Google Translate: "Tsuburaya Special Skills Laboratory's representative works include "Taiheiyo Hitoribocchi", a work in which staff was dispatched to India and participated in the production of an Indian film, and the commercial for Renown's Yeie, but Eiji himself did his part. I myself cannot forget the scene where the dragon dances in the Hong Kong movie. In this Hong Kong film, most of the staff at the research institute were not able to participate due to other work, so I was blessed with the opportunity to help out on the set. I was allowed to use the stage of Nihon University to shoot. This is the duel scene between a Chinese-style dragon that is hung from above and manipulated by an actor wearing Chinese period drama costumes. Eiji brought the editing work into his living room and made me do the negatives."). Does anyone have any ideas of what this film is?
Kaiju No. 14

Re: Unknown Hong Kong film with dragons

Postby STSH » Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:47 am

Great question.

I also used Google Translate to scan the 1960-1969 paragraphs of his Japanese Wiki entry,
and can find no references to this.
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%86%86 ... 1%E4%BA%8C
STSH
HKMDB Immortal

Re: Unknown Hong Kong film with dragons

Postby yukabacera » Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:17 am

It seems like it's probably The Founding of Ming Dynasty (aka Tsu Hong Wu) which was released in 1971, after Tsuburaya's death. In the credits of the film itself Takano is the credited effects director, but early Taiwanese newspaper ads mentioned Eiji Tsuburaya himself. Peter Yang Kwan was quoted after the release saying that the movie took four years to shoot, so it's conceivable that Tsuburaya could have done some work on it before he died.
yukabacera
HKMDB Editor

Return to Additions and Modifications