Who Am I? [1998] update

Additions and modifications to the database

Who Am I? [1998] update

Postby J.J.Hayden » Sat May 06, 2023 11:14 am

https://hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtml?id=8330&complete_credits=1&display_set=eng

Did another deep dive into the cast of a Jackie Chan film, this time it's Who Am I?.

There was less to do than with Mr. Nice Guy but has probably been more difficult as info on the Dutch and South African cast members seems a lot harder to come by, there were actually a few that I ID'd in real life, but for reasons listed below couldn't ID them in the film. I've also rearranged the credit order as it was a bit mixed up and I've done some updates to the actors involved too if I found new info on them.

There's also the problem of what seems to me to be lots of scenes deleted from the finished print, as some characters don't seem to appear at all (even in the available deleted scenes) and some are on screen for one shot and then gone. Also at least one (but I suspect several) is playing a different character than they're credited as on the film. Dick Rienstra is credited as Army, yet in the English print he's clearly the Air Force and I'm no expert but I believe his uniform is that of the Air Force, especially as there are two other characters (though blink and you'll miss them) that appear to be in Army uniform and Marines uniform. Obviously I'll put the right name to the right pic, but what shall I do with the credit?

I've also added all the stunt team as Stunt Doubles as I managed to spot each an every one of them doubling at some point in the film, especially Nicky Li who seemed to double everyone. There were times I thought Kwan Yung could've been doubling too and maybe even William Duen but couldn't be sure on either so didn't add them. I did however spot Kwan Yung as a stuntman in the hospital scene. The team were very busy on this film.

I've got a bunch of new pics including some new pics of people already ID'd that I picked up along the way. I am pleased people are enjoying the info I'm digging up.
Cheers

To see IDs please go to "Who Am I? [1998] - IDs" in the Actor Identification section.
Last edited by J.J.Hayden on Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
J.J.Hayden
HKMDB Editor

Re: Who Am I? [1998] update

Postby Harlock » Sat May 06, 2023 12:32 pm

nice jobs !! i unchecked portrait on somes of them because remember not all images are portrait, but you can add all the images you want

Cheers
Harlock
HKMDB Immortal and Co-Developer

Postby J.J.Hayden » Sat May 06, 2023 12:44 pm

I'm a bit confused now, as going over some stuff I got another ID, but the uniforms don't seem to match the characters.

I've ID'd Jeremiah Fleming, his credit says Marine assistant, but the guy next to him appears to be Navy (I think, looking at his uniform i.e. white hat and golden sleeves. The guy next to Jeremiah has already been ID'd as Fritz Krommenhoek, but this may be from looking at the guy's uniform as I did.

And after watching the scene again, Dick Rienstra is referred to as General (even though he looks to me like Air Force). He appears to have an assistant, which would match the credits as Army Assistant, though the actor there is Rinaldo Van Ommeren, but the assistant in the film is clearly a woman, and as far as I know Rinaldo is a masculine name?

I think Dick Rienstra and Pim Daane are most likely the two officers who actually have dialogue as both worked on several other films whereas it seems Who Am I? is the only credit for Fritz Krommenhoek and Fred Van Ditmarsch has only done 2 more. Pim Daane being the Marine would then fit with Jeremiah being his Assistant.

Would anybody like to weigh in on this?

Cheers

And I've only just realised how ironic the film's title is when considering this mess right here :P
J.J.Hayden
HKMDB Editor

Postby J.J.Hayden » Sat May 13, 2023 2:48 pm

I went back to do a bit more digging and I turns out that both Rinaldo and Fritz are multi-sex names, I'd never have guessed that. But now all the pieces fit, It seems that the positions the cast members hold i.e. being assistant of X are correct but the armed force they represent is mixed up. Maybe they were originally in different uniforms, or maybe there was just a mix up in the paperwork or something. Whatever the issue was, I believe the case is closed.

I've added pics for these people, but unfortunately we only ever see the back of Fritz' head, so I've added the shots anyway for reference, but not attributed them as portraits.

Cheers
J.J.Hayden
HKMDB Editor

Postby J.J.Hayden » Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:47 pm

Caught another great interview with Eric Jacobus last night, this time with super-kicker (and super nice guy) Ron Smoorenburg. It was very interesting and Ron was even good enough to join in the chat, happy to say he still seems like a great guy. But there was also a very interesting part where he's talking about his involvement in Who Am I and they actually show the blink-and-you'll-miss-it moment where he played an office worker with a briefcase, before he spoke to Rocky Lai who helped him get the role most of us know him for. Sadly we don't get to see him head on, so although I've added a close up, I've not selected it as a "portrait". I've also added the name "Briefcase man" alongside "Morgan's hitman" to the cast list.

Please check out the interview and Eric channel yourselves, lot's of great stuff there:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9MDgkWYAzI

Cheers
J.J.Hayden
HKMDB Editor

Return to Additions and Modifications