King Hu question

Additions and modifications to the database

King Hu question

Postby Chen Hung Lieh » Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:00 pm

King Hu Chin-Chuan:

https://hkmdb.com/db/people/view.mhtml? ... ay_set=eng

I might be wrong, but my impression was always that the "King" in his name derived from the character "金". There are a lot names/aliases in the database, where this is the case. In COME DRINK WITH ME, for example, he is credited as King Chuan / 金銓.

Now that his romanized main name is "King Hu Chin-Chuan", one have to assume that either "King" serves as a western forename or "King Hu" as a Chinese double surname. The latter can be excluded of course, while King as a western forename might not be impossible, but at least pretty rare, I guess. If however "King" derives from 金, then we have the same character twice in his romanized name (King & Chin).

I can't remember that he was ever called like that, I think outside of Asia he is commonly known just as King Hu, which would be the appropriate main name in my personal opinion.

However I'm not much of a King Hu expert and maybe just missed the good reason to call him like that?
Chen Hung Lieh
HKMDB Editor

Re: King Hu question

Postby bkasten » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:53 pm

I agree. This is very much a mystery. King is definitely *not* a Cantonese romanization of 金 (which sounds like "gum")...nor is it a Mandarin romanization of 金. There are some Mandarin "dialects" (which are not really dialects) where this character romanizes to king or ging. But this is still speculation...

In any case, I agree with your opinion that he should be set to King Hu as our romanized name.
bkasten
Administrator

Return to Additions and Modifications