Xiao Xiao Mian Dang Bing (1989) Hsu Pu-Liao -> Hsu Chai-Liao

Additions and modifications to the database

Xiao Xiao Mian Dang Bing (1989) Hsu Pu-Liao -> Hsu Chai-Liao

Postby Chen Hung Lieh » Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:49 pm

Xiao Xiao Mian Dang Bing (1989)

https://hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtml? ... ay_set=eng

許不了 Hsu Pu-Liao was already dead († 1985) when this movie came out in 1989. He was mixed up with a guy called 許再了 Hsu Chai-Le, who is credited on the poster, but not in the database entry:

Because of the resemblance in face and name, I almost did the same mistake and was already about to suggest 許再了 as an alias for 許不了, until I noticed he died 1985. So I did a google research with both names and found this small but enlightening newspaper article from 1989:
https://eresources.nlb.gov.sg/newspaper ... 9-1.2.81.4

Rough translation:
Hsu Pu-Liao has an successor, called Hsu Chai-Liao. His strong resemblance with the deceased comedy star Hsu Pu-Liao gave him the opportunity to switch from a stuntman/martial artist (opera?) to a leading actor and signing a two-years contract with Longzu Film. Ye Ching-Hui, the director of "Xiao Xiao Mian Dang Bing", said Hsu Chai-Liao is of course not as flexible as Hsu Bu-Liao, but delivers a good comedy performance on the screen.

If no one objects, I will also change Hsu Chai-Le's name into Hsu Chai-Liao, as it seems to be an artist name inspired by the name Hsu Bu-Liao ("了" can be pronounced "Le" or "Liao").
Chen Hung Lieh
HKMDB Editor

Re: Xiao Xiao Mian Dang Bing (1989) Hsu Pu-Liao -> Hsu Chai-

Postby bkasten » Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:07 pm

Very nice work!
bkasten
Administrator

Re: Xiao Xiao Mian Dang Bing (1989) Hsu Pu-Liao -> Hsu Chai-

Postby Chen Hung Lieh » Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:27 pm

Changed Hsu Chai-Le's name into Hsu Chai-Liao and replaced Hsu Pu-Liao.

bkasten wrote:Very nice work!

All hail to the editor who added Hsu Pu-Liao's death date, without him I would have done the opposite of nice work and merged them^^
Chen Hung Lieh
HKMDB Editor

Return to Additions and Modifications