ID this obscure actioner - possibly feat Mark Houghton

Additions and modifications to the database

ID this obscure actioner - possibly feat Mark Houghton

Postby STSH » Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:54 am

The first HK movie double bill I ever saw at Sydney's long-gone Australia Cinema (one of TWO HK cinemas in Liverpool Street) was Stephen Chow's Magnificent Scoundrels and a low-budget actioner.

This was in Christmas 1991, just a year after I'd seen my first HK movie in Thailand.

I have never been able to ID this action cheapie. About 15 years later I tracked down the newspaper ad for this double in the local newspaper (by then on microfilm), but the actioner was not named. Very annoying.

Here is what I remember.

A Vietnamese gang was targetted, one of their members being killed. A surviving member sits at a campfire and swears "Vincent ... I must revenge on him". This is in the first few minutes.

The 2nd-ranked villain is a fat redhead gwailo (with a moustache ?) who was one helluva kicker. The scene I remember had him arrogantly slumped in an office chair, behind a desk, before flying out and kicking wildly. The pics I looked at, just now, of Mark Houghton seem to be a good match, though he must have piled on the pounds for this one. This scene was well into the second half.

The main villain gets killed in the final scene by being impaled by a bunch of steel rods.

Any guesses ? If you can solve this one, I have an even more difficult one from the early 80s to roll out yet again :|
STSH
HKMDB Immortal

Re: ID this obscure actioner - possibly feat Mark Houghton

Postby Chen Hung Lieh » Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:01 am

This sounds like "Fury in Red" (1991)
Chen Hung Lieh
HKMDB Editor

Re: ID this obscure actioner - possibly feat Mark Houghton

Postby STSH » Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:29 am

Chen Hung Lieh wrote:This sounds like "Fury in Red" (1991)

Hooray ! After 30 years, an ID.
Yes, Robin Shou looks very much like the main villain :)
STSH
HKMDB Immortal

Return to Additions and Modifications