David(s) Wu

Additions and modifications to the database

David(s) Wu

Postby yukabacera » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:08 pm

David Wu (胡大為) has quite a few different credits in the movie Sapporo Story (https://hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtml?id=6898)

The problem is that some of these credits use his supposed pseudonym 吳大衛 (in the same movie!), which is just another way to write David Wu (Ng) in Chinese, basically. The issue is that, at least in Sapporo Story, 吳大衛 is not Hong Kong's David Wu (胡大為) but a Taiwanese singer also called David Wu (吳大衛).

The issue now is whether David Wu (胡大為) was ever really credited as 吳大衛, or if that alias was mistakenly added by an editor based only on the Sapporo Story credits.

I'm going to fix the Sapporo Story entry and create the new David Wu, but I would really appreciate the help of other editors in the matter of the validity of 吳大衛 as an alias for 胡大為. If he really was credited like that somewhere, please let me know in this thread so we can keep the alias. Since the Taiwanese David Wu is a singer and composer, I will check all of 胡大為's music-related credits on my own to be sure.

EDIT: for further clarity, the soundtrack record claims that Sapporo Story was the first Hong Kong movie that the (Taiwanese) David Wu had composed the music and theme song for.
yukabacera
HKMDB Editor

Re: David(s) Wu

Postby bkasten » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:55 pm

I see no reason why 吳大衛 would be an alias for 胡大為 as 吳 and 胡 do not sound at all alike in Cantonese. The alias 吳大衛 should be removed for 胡大為 unless there is evidence to the contrary. Perhaps leave an editor's note. I will make this change after I do some further investigation.

I see you have already added the Taiwanese singer David Wu (吳大衛).

Great find. Thanks.
bkasten
Administrator

Return to Additions and Modifications