Dragon Inn

Additions and modifications to the database

Dragon Inn

Postby pjshimmer » Thu Feb 01, 2001 4:28 am

Does anyone know anything about the original Shaw Brothers version directed by King Hu in the late 1960s? I'm looking to add it to the database also. Any info is appreciated.<br><br>
<b>"Film will only become an art when its materials are as inexpensive as pencil and paper."</b> -- Jean Cocteau

What's a good movie? <b>"You may love it; you may hate it. But let him who is not a ghost dare say that he has felt nothing."</b>
pjshimmer

Re: Dragon Inn

Postby STSH » Thu Feb 01, 2001 5:38 am

I have some of the cast, somewhere in my files. Again, I don't know the Chinese title, but I think my records said it was released in 1967.<br><br>
STSH
HKMDB Immortal

Postby mpongpun » Thu Feb 01, 2001 11:07 am

Dragon Inn is not a Shaw Brothers film. It was put out by a Taiwanese company.<br><br>Silver Fox
mpongpun

Postby pjshimmer » Sat Feb 03, 2001 4:27 am

Are you sure? The director and the cast all seem to be involved in Shaw Bros movies of that era.<br><br>Here is where I found the info: http://brns.com/timeline/time1965.html<br><br>
<b>"Film will only become an art when its materials are as inexpensive as pencil and paper."</b> -- Jean Cocteau

What's a good movie? <b>"You may love it; you may hate it. But let him who is not a ghost dare say that he has felt nothing."</b>
pjshimmer

Postby pjshimmer » Sat Feb 03, 2001 4:30 am

I can help with the Chinese title. However, I have no idea how to make the image/GIF/JPG of the Chinese title as shown on every movie page.<br><br>

pjshimmer

Postby mpongpun » Sat Feb 03, 2001 9:26 pm

Yes, I am 1000% sure. I have the movie and I am unable to read the English name of the company that released it. However, it starts with an "F". MY guess is Far East Prod." <br><br>Silver Fox
mpongpun

Postby STSH » Sun Feb 04, 2001 11:22 pm

How to input the Chinese characters - that involves getting into the weird and wonderful world of big5 script.<br><br>To give you just a brief idea, go to any movie or actor page and click on the "big5" link in the extreme top right corner. The chinese gifs change to a strange line of characters. Each PAIR of these characters represents a chinese character.<br><br>There are a number of other sites which have chinese dictionaries in big5. I've been killing myself for the past few years trying to learn it. But as a Chinese speaker, you'll probably have an easier time about it.<br><br>In the meantime, if you can post Chinese names (drawn in some artistic format and saved as gifs or something) for movies or actors somewhere on the net and provide a link, I or someone else could code them into big5.
STSH
HKMDB Immortal

Postby pjshimmer » Tue Feb 06, 2001 10:29 pm

OK, but you would still need the characters typed in BIG5 in order to make them into images, is that correct?<br><br>I can easily make BIG5/GB characters in Chinese. I have several software that allow me to do so. If I just know the right Chinese characters I'm sure I'll have no trouble coming up with BIG5/GB versions of them. However I'm still unsure of how to make images of Chinese titles. Do you just copy the BIG5 characters and paste them into a image maker say Adobe Photoshop and save it as an image?<br><br>

pjshimmer

Postby STSH » Tue Feb 06, 2001 11:05 pm

Nope, it's easier than that.<br><br>When creating a new actor or movie listing, there a box for "big5 name". Just paste the big5 string of characters into this box, and the site software does the rest.<br><br>For instance, Ti Lung is ¨fÀs<br><br>After you create a new listing with big5, it's always a good idea to the Filmography or Basic Credits link, just to check that the big5 chars you pasted produce the right result. And I'd recommend using a basic text editor like Notepad to compose the big5 strings in. If you paste characters in or out of MS Word, some chars used in big5 become transformed or get removed (VERY annoying !).<br><br>If you want to add big5 to a char/movie which doesn't have them, go to "Edit This Movie/Actor" link, the go to the "Basic Info" link, where you'll find the big5 box near the top.<br><br>As I said, there are quite a few sites on the web with big5 dictionaries or lookup facilities. If you have a big5 string and you want to pre-check it, go to this excellent big5-to-hanzi browser<br><br>http://www.ntuaa.org/chgif/<br><br>
STSH
HKMDB Immortal

Return to Additions and Modifications