Lee I Min has arrived

Additions and modifications to the database

Lee I Min has arrived

Postby STSH » Tue Feb 13, 2001 12:29 am

I've added this action hero. It took awhile, mainly because Lee's middle name is a torturously difficult character.<br><br>Can some kind soul who reads Chinese check it ? My Cantonese pronounciation dictionary says this char is pronounced "Ngai", and the staff at the Chinese video shop confirm this, but the character matched here on the Db comes up as "Aau".<br><br>For comparison, Lee I Min's chinese name appears at the top far left of this poster -> <br><a href="http://www.hkmdb.com/hkmec/ads-bw/photo/MagnificentWanderers 1977-1-b.jpg">Magnificent Wanderers</a><br><br>or go to <br>http://www.hkmdb.com/hkmec/ads-bw/m/MagnificentWanderers 1977-en.shtml<br><br>and click on the thumbnail (small pic)
STSH
HKMDB Immortal

Re: Lee I Min has arrived

Postby pjshimmer » Wed Feb 14, 2001 12:15 am

The characters are most likely correct. They all match the pronounciations I'm familiar with.<br><br>
<b>"Film will only become an art when its materials are as inexpensive as pencil and paper."</b> -- Jean Cocteau

What's a good movie? <b>"You may love it; you may hate it. But let him who is not a ghost dare say that he has felt nothing."</b>
pjshimmer

Postby STSH » Wed Feb 14, 2001 10:43 pm

Does that mean hkmdb's pronouciation of Aau is wrong ?<br><br>There are a few funny errors in the canto pronounciations. For instance, "Fa" (meaning "Flower") is transliterated as "Dut".<br><br>
STSH
HKMDB Immortal

Postby pjshimmer » Thu Feb 15, 2001 12:50 am

All I know is, Lee Yi Min is in fact the exact pronounciation of his name. In Mandarin it is Li Yi Ming. I can't think of how AAU would even come close.<br><br>
<b>"Film will only become an art when its materials are as inexpensive as pencil and paper."</b> -- Jean Cocteau

What's a good movie? <b>"You may love it; you may hate it. But let him who is not a ghost dare say that he has felt nothing."</b>
pjshimmer

Postby STSH » Thu Feb 15, 2001 4:35 am

*puzzled*<br>The people at my main video pronounced his name as "Lei Ngai Man". Are they speaking some sort of sub-dialect, or does Cantonese allow for the same char pronouced as Ngai or Yi ?<br><br>
STSH
HKMDB Immortal

Postby pjshimmer » Fri Feb 16, 2001 5:11 am

Well, I'd leave Ngai out of the database (until a more authoritive figure confirms this anyway) just because nobody can be sure of it.<br><br>BTW, the link to the Magnificent Wanderers poster doesn't seem to be working

pjshimmer

Postby STSH » Sun Feb 18, 2001 6:31 am

Don't know what's happening there. The address is deinitely correct, but it changes when pasted in. Dave, any ideas ?<br><br>Try the thumbnail link I added above. If not, then go the long way (i.e. start with the B&W Ad link and lookup the title).<br><br>
STSH
HKMDB Immortal

Return to Additions and Modifications