New ID: Hsieh Wan-chu

All requests to identify actors in images.

New ID: Hsieh Wan-chu

Postby yukabacera » Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:07 pm

I've been very interested in identifying this actor for a long time now. He shows up in a lot of Taiwanese movies. While I was checking the movie 霹靂女嬌娃 for another reason, I spotted him there and noticed he has a fairly large role and his character is called 萬居. This immediately brought to mind the name of Hsieh Wan-chu (謝萬居) so I set out to check what credits of his I could and see what I could find:

太太沒在家 - prominent acting credit for Hsieh Wan-chu - unknown actor can be seen in a lobby card photo
古厝夜語 The Tale of Old House - set runner credit for Hsieh Wan-chu - actor can be seen in our cast gallery
索命三娘 The Fate - set runner and acting credit for Hsieh Wan-chu - actor can be seen in the movie
女人禁地 The Masks - unit manager credit for Hsieh Wan-chu - actor can be seen in our cast gallery
浪子!不是我 - props and acting credit for Hsieh Wan-chu - don't have this movie to check, but the actor can be seen in a screenshot uploaded to Douban
女獄秘聞 Woman Prison - this movie is not in the database (I can add it later) but there is a props credit for "Hsieh Wan" (謝萬) and the unknown actor is also in it

I can think of a bunch of other movies that the unknown actor has been in (he is in many of Yeh Ching-hui's movies) but most of them don't have credits that are detailed enough to credit props or anything else like that, so unfortunately they aren't much help here. However, I think what I've managed to find is enough, especially considering the 霹靂女嬌娃 connection I mentioned above. If anyone disagrees, or has more information to contribute, I would really appreciate a response.

P.S. here is a list of some of his uncredited appearances not mentioned above:
魔幻神功 (1987) (in our cast gallery)
艷女痴情 (1987)
上班女郎 (1987)
少婦戀情 (1988)
花痴 (1988)
騙王之王 (1988)
慾之火 (1988)
江湖女記者 (1988)
處女情仇 (1988)
女煞星 (1988) (in our cast gallery, see above picture)
小小免當兵 (1989) (in our cast gallery)
阿郎!阿郎! (1990)
yukabacera
HKMDB Editor

Re: New ID: Hsieh Wan-chu

Postby Michael Kistner » Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:02 am

Good work.

The new ID looks correct for me.

I also have a list of his movie appearances - but without new titles you not mentioned :D
Michael Kistner
HKMDB Immortal

Postby yukabacera » Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:41 pm

Nice to hear that, Michael. I'll start adding his appearances (and role names where I can) then. Looking forward to seeing more as well.
yukabacera
HKMDB Editor

Postby Chen Hung Lieh » Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:08 am

Side note:
Although Hsieh Wan-Chu is called 杜三爺 in Nu Sha Xing, there's also a 萬居 mentioned in the dialogues, but that character does not actually appear in the movie. Mentioned just in one scene when gambling-addict Chang Wu-Chieh is complaining he lost a big sum of money against that guy, but it was only shown how he lost against Wai Wang who is called 何彪.
Chen Hung Lieh
HKMDB Editor

Postby yukabacera » Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:51 pm

Chen Hung Lieh wrote:Side note:
Although Hsieh Wan-Chu is called 杜三爺 in Nu Sha Xing, there's also a 萬居 mentioned in the dialogues, but that character does not actually appear in the movie. Mentioned just in one scene when gambling-addict Chang Wu-Chieh is complaining he lost a big sum of money against that guy, but it was only shown how he lost against Wai Wang who is called 何彪.

Interesting. I guess 萬居 is one of those names that is/was common in Taiwan but not really elsewhere. By the way, after checking The Tale of Old House, I found that Hsieh Wan-chu's role name there is 老謝. He appears in a few different scenes and has some dialogue, including a little comedy routine with Ting Kuo-sheng, who is called 老丁. Some of the other actors in minor roles use their real names too.
yukabacera
HKMDB Editor

Return to Actor Identification