ID me: Modern Girl (1951)

All requests to identify actors in images.

ID me: Modern Girl (1951)

Postby Teddy Wong » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:18 am

http://hkmdb.com/db/movies/images.mhtml?id=18441&display_set=eng

Thanks to Harlock for cropping and uploading!
Teddy Wong
HKMDB Editor

Re: ID me: Modern Girl (1951)

Postby heinz Germany » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:00 am

Hello Teddy & Harlock - Thanks for Your massive input efforts. I appriciate that.
But in this case of castpage: Why not tag those many "portraits"?
You have all role names in English & Chinese and I suppose it was not a cantonese video. Was it without subs?
One should be able after watching it to ID some more actors though with help of the role names - or isn't it that possible..but still one should be able to ID Yun's mother at least through the story itself... So we got 29 unknown pictures and missed a big chance for many first IDs - that's very dissapointing.

BTW: Some pictures are tagged as "portrait" but they will not really help recognize anything- for example:
http://hkmdb.com/db/movies/image_detail ... ay_set=eng
This is directed to Harlock, who told me, that my "work" is of no use for him - now that is no use, too I must say.. :? Sorry to say that.... :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMzRijTYnGg (Mandarin with Chinese subs - so easy task if somebody wants to - but I won't)

P.S.: I prepared and downloaded about 80+ B&W classics from Youtube this year, but after I realised their will be no thanks at all and only bashing for my input
I cleaned them from my PC already and decided not to waste countless hours by making those castpages, which will not be wellcomed by anybody.
Still I will make some castpages of colour movies out of my DVD and youtube collection, because I want to reduce my collection to 10% of its size and
before I give or throw them away I will take this last chance to make castpages - since nobody else took the chance to do so during twenty years....
heinz Germany
HKMDB Immortal

Postby Teddy Wong » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:53 pm

One should be able after watching it to ID some more actors though with help of the role names

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMzRijTYnGg (Mandarin with Chinese subs - so easy task if somebody wants to - but I won't)

A couple of reasons:
1.I used the same version of the movie, as in the link you gave. There are no detailed credits, and the only listed actors are Ou-Yang Sha-Fei and Yeung Lau (without rolenames). There are no on-screen rolenames. Regarding roles in our DB... I think it's wrong to make IDs using ONLY role listings from our DB (who added these roles? from which source?) or any other cast listing on the web. I can use it only as a hint or an additional proof for ID, but not as a main one.
2.Some of the roles and rolenames in the movie are different from the roles we have in our DB.
3.I'm not familiar with these actors and movies from that era,

So the only new ID I was able to make is Xu Li, because I also checked him in his other movie - "Sorrows of the Forbidden City" and the roles both in "Modern girl" and in "Sorrows of the Forbidden City" fit the same actor.

Regarding other unknown actors and their roles...Here they are:
1.ImageImage - role in the movie Li Yun-Zhen's cousin Zhang Mei-Ying (???). Possibly Yeung Lau (couldn't find any other of her movies)
2.Image - role in the movie - Miss Feng (???). Possibly - Wu Ching-Hung
3.Image - role - Tan Han-Min's friend
4.Image - role - Tan Han-Min's friend Old Wang (??)
5.ImageImage - role - Lin Zhi-Hua's friend?
6.Image - role - Sister Qiu (??)
7.Image - same as 6?
8.Image - role - Director Hua (???)
9.Image - role - Li Yun-Zhen's mother
10.Image - role - Li Yun-Zhen's maid Ah Feng (??)
11.Image - role - Li Yun-Zhen's mother's maid Ah Feng (??) (same as 10???)
12.Image - role - Li Yun-Zhen's maid (same as 10 or 11???)
13.Image - role - probably a cook
14.Image - role - Wet nurse (??), so according to the roles in our DB might be Ma Zhong-Ying (2)
15.Image - role - Li Yun-Zhen's classmate
16.Image - role ?
17.Image - role - Ah Feng's (10) husband
18.Image - role - Tan Han-Min's maid
19.Image - role - Li Yun-Zhen's son
20.Image - role - Doctor Li (???)

Others are extras

BTW: Some pictures are tagged as "portrait" but they will not really help recognize anything- for example:
http://hkmdb.com/db/movies/image_detail ... ay_set=eng
This is directed to Harlock, who told me, that my "work" is of no use for him - now that is no use, too I must say.. :? Sorry to say that.... :(

I don't know what was Harlock saying, but I did screencaps for this movie, so I should answer.
I agree that many of the images are not clear and probably some of them are no good for "pure" identification, but I think that this is the same case of many extras or stuntmen that we identified through the years. If you know the face and can spot him in action, than his "portrait" in our DB is only for reference or for an additional proof. Same case is here, I believe, if somebody knows the actor and see him in that movie in action, he might recognize him.
Maybe we just should remove the "portrait" tag from these images.

P.S.: I prepared and downloaded about 80+ B&W classics from Youtube this year, but after I realised their will be no thanks at all and only bashing for my input
I cleaned them from my PC already and decided not to waste countless hours by making those castpages, which will not be wellcomed by anybody.

That's not completely true. We are a small group of editors and maybe we don't often cheer each other for the work we do, but remember that HKMDB is used by many users around the world. Although there are many other Chinese movie databases now, HKMDB is still the most detailed and accurate DB among them and one of the few that still does IDs of very less known actors.
I don't say that you have to do the cast pages for these movies, but remember that any input is useful.
Teddy Wong
HKMDB Editor

Postby heinz Germany » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:48 am

Hi Teddy, thank You very much for the long reply, which was a lot of work, too!
I added the chinese role names from the HKFA, which seems quite reliable to me and translated them to English.
I just thought we missed a big opportunity to make first ID of many actors from a early period and we gave it away.
This is one main reason for making cast pages. So it was such a shame for me. That was the only reason I made
all those old B&W cast-pages from Youtube to fill the gap - even I didn't enjoy watching in Cantonese bad sound
and many times without subs, unfamilair with that period, too. I highly recommend Youtube user ???? for
old movies from the past. (and: lydbcc , Lim steven, ?? - all those I added to my favorites before).

After all I still want to express my appreciation for Your massive help and input - sadly we don't have much people like You.
Maybe about 8 to 10 out of over 4.400 members and the latest user joined years ago. I am watching the number of members
many times and waiting for user No. 4444 (Which will be no lucky number, as You know)
heinz Germany
HKMDB Immortal

Postby heinz Germany » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:04 am

Tagged Ma Zhong-Ying (2) Our wet nurse since I found her in the cast page of "The Storm"
result: http://hkmdb.com/db/people/view.mhtml?i ... ay_set=eng
Now we have one puzzle part added, and this is kind of a promissing start.
heinz Germany
HKMDB Immortal

Postby yukabacera » Wed May 11, 2022 11:57 am

This is an old movie from the occupation period that only runs 68 minutes in the currently-available version, so it's possible it might have missing scenes, which would also explain the strange absence of characters like the "female classmate" and the "old professor", and possibly the "manager."

Teddy Wong wrote:3.Image - role - Tan Han-Min's friend
4.Image - role - Tan Han-Min's friend Old Wang (??)

Tagged these two as Huang Yu and Hong Tao respectively.

Teddy Wong wrote:6.Image - role - Sister Qiu (??)
7.Image - same as 6?

This one is confusing, because I agree it looks and sounds like the same person, yet in the upper scene she is called Mrs. Li and in the lower scene she seems to be Mrs. Wang. Yunzhen is familiar with her in the upper scene, but then gets introduced to her in the lower scene. So I guess they must be different even though they don't really look like it. I tagged the lower one as Sima Dan for now.
yukabacera
HKMDB Editor

Return to Actor Identification