Hero of Tomorrow (1988) ID's needed

All requests to identify actors in images.

Hero of Tomorrow (1988) ID's needed

Postby Bearserk » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:19 am

Hero of Tomorrow

Some more images to ID
Bearserk
Chief Image Editor

Postby MrBooth » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:28 am

We should remove some of the older non-portrait shots from this one... would the original uploader like to do it?

I do like having the shots where the actor/character is introduced though :)
MrBooth
HKMDB Immortal

Postby Bearserk » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:41 am

The pictures taken from the movie seems fine to me, the portrait images with the nasty text all over it on the other hand, those I would love to get rid of :D
Bearserk
Chief Image Editor

Postby MrBooth » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:05 am

It's not that they're bad pictures, just that I'm not sure what justification we have for keeping them there now that we have portraits for everyone :)

The ones with the characters don't look as nice, but do make for interesting reference material (if you're trying to learn the Chinese characters, for instance) and constitute a good proof of identity should someone dispute an entry in the DB...
MrBooth
HKMDB Immortal

Postby Bearserk » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:47 am

In my opinion such lobbycard pictures show much about the style and atmosphere of the movie in a way that no Portrait can do and shows it better than most reviews can describe when it comes to use of lighting and camera angles, how the picture is filmed, I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking so, a picture tells a thousand words, or how that saying goes :)
Besides, if you would remove some of those images because there have been added portraits, then it would have to be done with all the other movies were portraits have been added as well, which would result in a loss of good and relevant information in my eyes, on the other hand it could be wise to maybe limit the maximum number allowed of such pictures, 6 - 9 images seems to be a nice number IMHO, that would let people who are interested in checking out the movie get a good understanding of the movie using both reviews and images taken from the movie.
As for those pictures with text across them being a good proof of evidence for their identity, sure, but in my opinion this is better done with gathering pictures of each and every actor for each of their movies, sure it's a daunting task, but it's one HKMDB should aim for in my opinion, it will just take some time and effort to get there :)
And to let people learn chinese is not something that should be done using the HKMDB image pages, no matter how appealing that sounds :)
Maybe someone could have a little lecture for those who wish to learn a little chinese in the off topic forum or something like that instead :)
Bearserk
Chief Image Editor

Postby Beat TG » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:55 am

the guy to the right next to Sin Ho Ying is Lung Ming-Yan.
Beat TG

Postby MrBooth » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:23 pm

In my opinion such lobbycard pictures show much about the style and atmosphere of the movie in a way that no Portrait can do and shows it better than most reviews can describe when it comes to use of lighting and camera angles, how the picture is filmed, I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking so, a picture tells a thousand words, or how that saying goes

I agree, but we need to endeavour to choose a selection of pictures which showcase such aspects of the film as cinematography, lighting, costumes, action design etc, rather than just doubling up on pics of the cast that now have portraits. The pics for HERO OF TOMORROW are a pretty good selection, but we can probably lose a couple safely (sometimes less is more, as they say!). I'd probably delete these two myself:

http://www.hkmdb.com/db/images/movies/7074/HeroofTomorrow+1988-18-b.jpg
http://www.hkmdb.com/db/images/movies/7074/HeroofTomorrow+1988-9-b.jpg

As for those pictures with text across them being a good proof of evidence for their identity, sure, but in my opinion this is better done with gathering pictures of each and every actor for each of their movies, sure it's a daunting task, but it's one HKMDB should aim for in my opinion, it will just take some time and effort to get there

Yes, I agree we should collect as full set of images. Was just thinking that in case somebody really doubts that the actor in picture X is Gam Siu Mooi, we could point to this image as proof:

http://www.hkmdb.com/db/images/people/7316/GamSiuMooi-1-b.jpg

But I can see it's a losing argument ;)
MrBooth
HKMDB Immortal

Postby Gaijin84 » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:40 pm

Personally, I think that as higher quality images are added to a movie for IDs, the old ones should be removed... there is no point in keeping lower quality shots on the server when there are better ones available.

For example, Swordsman at Large:
http://www.hkmdb.com/db/movies/images.mhtml?id=5262&display_set=eng

With Celestial Pictures releasing this on a remasterd DVD, shouldn't we replace the original IDs with clearer ones?
This is no dig at the uploader of the original IDs, but as we move on we should aim for quality, no?

sorry - i realize that this should probably be brought up in the Images forum...
Gaijin84
HKMDB Immortal

Postby MrBooth » Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:47 pm

I definitely agree - but in the case of Swordsman At Large, I left the older portraits for the cast members where I hadn't got portraits in my own capture run :)

I should shuffle them down to the bottom of the list though, since they're all minor characters :)
MrBooth
HKMDB Immortal

Postby STSH » Mon May 01, 2006 5:44 am

Not so fast .......

Bearserk wrote:As for those pictures with text across them being a good proof of evidence for their identity, sure,

This point should not be dismissed lightly. Any image which assists new people on the site to become familiar with the various ways of identifying actors is a core duty of hkmdb, and should be retained and defended.

Bearserk wrote:but in my opinion this is better done with gathering pictures of each and every actor for each of their movies, sure it's a daunting task, but it's one HKMDB should aim for in my opinion, it will just take some time and effort to get there :)

*Both* need to be done.

Bearserk wrote:And to let people learn chinese is not something that should be done using the HKMDB image pages, no matter how appealing that sounds :)

Not so much appealing, but educational, and a useful example to set. If it isn't done here, then where ?

Bearserk wrote:Maybe someone could have a little lecture for those who wish to learn a little chinese in the off topic forum or something like that instead :)

It is not off topic in the slightest. It is what many of us are here to do.

What Bearserk is getting at, and it is a fair discussion point, is to what extent hkmdb should be educational, and if so, what material counts as contributing to that function. My opinion is that the site should be educational, and that such images need to be retained for that purpose.

MrBooth wrote:I should shuffle them down to the bottom of the list though, since they're all minor characters :)

No problem there. Inferior quality images should be lower down. Useful info, especially such as "Actor as Role" captions, should not be removed.
STSH
HKMDB Immortal

Postby Bearserk » Mon May 01, 2006 6:35 am

STSH wrote:This point should not be dismissed lightly. Any image which assists new people on the site to become familiar with the various ways of identifying actors is a core duty of hkmdb, and should be retained and defended.

Off course, but the text of the actors name written across the entire picture is not adding anything, after all the name of the actors is written below each ID'ed image so no information is lost, not being able to read chinese myself I just have to guess that the pictures is showing the actors name and role, this is information which is already there.

STSH wrote:Not so much appealing, but educational, and a useful example to set. If it isn't done here, then where ?

I'm sure there are several sites out there on the web that might help people to learn chinese to some degree, in my eyes HKMDB is a site dedicated to gather information about actors and movies, and should focus on just that, I would have loved to learn some chinese just as much as anyone here, it's just that I feel that the image pages in HKMDB is not the place to do so.

STSH wrote:It is not off topic in the slightest. It is what many of us are here to do.

It was the most appropriate forum I could see, which is why I chose to mention the off topic forum :)

STSH wrote:....... Useful info, especially such as "Actor as Role" captions, should not be removed.

Well, I can't say that I agree so much with that, as I stated further up, that information is already there and doesn't add anything in my eyes.
That would almost be the same as to start adding credit images showing all the actors with their roles, although that might be stretching it a bit :lol:
Although a separate area to upload credit images would have been nice, in case someone wanted to take a look at them, but this is not the right forum for that kind of discussion :)
Bearserk
Chief Image Editor

Postby STSH » Tue May 02, 2006 12:14 am

Bearserk wrote:Well, I can't say that I agree so much with that,

Clearly, we are agreeing to disagree on a number of points.
Nothing wrong with that.

Bearserk wrote:That would almost be the same as to start adding credit images showing all the actors with their roles

That option has been canvassed on other threads, and it is a good idea. Especially for more obscure movies, and to assist/verify the identification of less well-known actors.
STSH
HKMDB Immortal

Return to Actor Identification