It's a Mad, Mad, Mad World 2 (1988) ID's needed

All requests to identify actors in images.

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad World 2 (1988) ID's needed

Postby Bearserk » Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:47 am

It's a Mad, Mad. Mad World 2

Lots of images to ID here as well.
Bearserk
Chief Image Editor

Postby AkiraRus » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:58 am

15th row, left - Shing Fu-On
18th row, middle - Vincent Kok
AkiraRus

Postby Michael Kistner » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:25 am

Added name Shing Fu-On to image and cast list.

ID Hui Ying-Ying.
Michael Kistner
HKMDB Immortal

Postby AkiraRus » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:55 am

I can bet my life on that the ctor I identified as Vincent Kok is Vincent Kok. Saw the movie not long ago - it's definitely him.
He appears in Canada scenes as Elsie Chan schoolmate and Kok was there at the time studying communications (according to bio at the brns.com).
I suggest to ppl who know his works and looks :) to find the movie and see it yourself.
AkiraRus

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:17 pm

I'd also recommend the film to my fellow Canadians, particularly if you want to see how ignorance and misrepresentation of an alien culture (namely, my own!) works both ways! I've no doubt the Hong Kong immigrant experience isn't always easy, but this film more than any other I've yet seen except perhaps WOMEN ON THE RUN, makes Canada look like some kind of dingy hellhole, where redneck truckers will KILL YOU if you pass them on the highway and your daughter Loletta Lee (if she was really your daughter) will be forced to run around a university campus in her underwear! It's tough to shake the feeling that the filmmakers share the some of the goofy beliefs of the characters in this one, even while trying to offer up a critique of certain Hong Kong-ian attitudes toward "others." Mind you, Hong Kong is treated nearly as badly in the film, so maybe a Canuck shouldn't complain! :lol:
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:37 pm

By the way:

This ain't Shing Fui-on. Not by a long shot:
http://www.hkmdb.com/db/movies/image_detail.mhtml?id=6999&image_id=29425&display_set=eng

Also, here are some Gweilo and Chinese-Canadian names from the closing credits. I doubt we'd have much luck matching them up, but they could be added to the credit list for the sake of completeness:

Robert Hinksman
Adam Yawrenko
Jean Brissom
Denise Brillow
Karen Yee
Pauline Crawford
Harry Davis
Gary Davis
Scott Davis
Bruce Devereux
Linda Parmelee
Jill Partridge
Ruby Partridge
Michelle Moonen
Anne Rae
Neil Gilligan
Dale Peterson
Tyson Lee
Tong Lung
Brian Thibodeau

Postby dleedlee » Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:41 pm

It's Shing FU-On, not FUI-On, a different fellow. I said the same thing to myself at first, too.

Another HK'er in Canada film: Never Ending Summer w/Carol DoDo Cheng.
???? Better to light a candle than curse the darkness; Measure twice, cut once.
Pinyin to Wade-Giles. Cantonese names file
dleedlee
HKMDB Immortal

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:12 pm

Ah, my mistake then. :oops:

I guess he must be in the credits somewhere.

I'll have to check out NEVERENDING SUMMER. Despite my thoughts about MAD MAD II, I do enjoy watching Hong Kong films shot over here, though invariably they're shot in the early or late winter, which does no justice to the scenery around this place!

I just found an old VHS at my local library for a movie called LOVE ME LOVE MY DADDY (both on the package and onscreen). I suspect this MIGHT be LOVE MA AND DAD (1988) in the database, but I haven't watched it all the way through yet. Turns out it's shot mostly in Toronto, so there's plenty of recognizable landmarks, and it thankfully doesn't cast a lot of "colorful" locals.

From what I've seen so far, it's about divorcee Ti Lung's retired father coming to live with him in Toronto, only to discover that his old triad enemy is living next door with his divorcee daughter.

I'm not entirely convinced that this is LOVE MA AND DAD, since there are no "MA's" in the whole film. However, the director of that film is Stephen Shin, who HAS shot other films over here, so this could be the same film. which means it might need to be added to the DB, possibly as an alias or vice-versa. More later.
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Bearserk » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:55 pm

Brian Thibodeau wrote:Also, here are some Gweilo and Chinese-Canadian names from the closing credits. I doubt we'd have much luck matching them up, but they could be added to the credit list for the sake of completeness:

Robert Hinksman
Adam Yawrenko
Jean Brissom
Denise Brillow
Karen Yee
Pauline Crawford
Harry Davis
Gary Davis
Scott Davis
Bruce Devereux
Linda Parmelee
Jill Partridge
Ruby Partridge
Michelle Moonen
Anne Rae
Neil Gilligan
Dale Peterson
Tyson Lee
Tong Lung

I would have loved to see them added, but I leave that decision to other more capable editors :)
Bearserk
Chief Image Editor

Return to Actor Identification