Unknown ID Collection: Unknown Korean Actor (3)

All requests to identify actors in images.

Unknown ID Collection: Unknown Korean Actor (3)

Postby Gaijin84 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:12 pm

Created a new ID - please add as you see fit
http://hkmdb.com/db/people/view.mhtml?id=84917&display_set=eng
Gaijin84
HKMDB Immortal

Re: Unknown ID Collection: Unknown Korean Actor (3)

Postby Gaijin84 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:53 pm

After some help over at KFF, looks like this unknown actor is actually Jang Cheol

If no one objects I'll update in 5 days
Gaijin84
HKMDB Immortal

Postby venomsfan » Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:34 pm

Gaijin84 wrote:After some help over at KFF, looks like this unknown actor is actually Jang Cheol

If no one objects I'll update in 5 days

Hello, I personally have doubts about this being the same actor. The faces and some features seem to be completely different in my opinion based on the images I’ve seen of them both. Is there any further proof that can be provided that these are the same people?
venomsfan

Postby Gaijin84 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:45 pm

I don't have any defining proof, but all three of his appearances are major ones, warranting second or third billing in the films. Jang Cheol supposedly appears in a couple of the films as well but has yet to be identified in all the existing IDs. I agree that there is some discrepancy in the faces, but it could be that some of the old IDs are incorrect (the cross-eyes ones?) and these three are right. I can leave the actor as unidentified but I'll add a reference.
Gaijin84
HKMDB Immortal

Postby J.J.Hayden » Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:58 pm

I'll sort this out, once I get used to the editing.
J.J.Hayden
HKMDB Editor

Postby Gaijin84 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:44 pm

thanks JJ
Gaijin84
HKMDB Immortal

Postby J.J.Hayden » Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:42 am

Gaijin84 wrote:thanks JJ

Mo man tai.
J.J.Hayden
HKMDB Editor

Postby Michael Kistner » Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:25 pm

Jang Cheol in the Korean movie database:

https://www.kmdb.or.kr/eng/db/per/00000892
Michael Kistner
HKMDB Immortal

Postby Gaijin84 » Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:55 pm

Looks like the same guy from here too:

https://hkmdb.com/db/people/view.mhtml?id=18300&display_set=eng

So Unknown Korean Actor (3) is most likely not Jang Cheol. Problem is I think he has been credited in movies that he doesn't appear in.

Do your magic JJ!
Gaijin84
HKMDB Immortal

Postby J.J.Hayden » Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:39 pm

Gaijin84 wrote:Looks like the same guy from here too:

https://hkmdb.com/db/people/view.mhtml?id=18300&display_set=eng

So Unknown Korean Actor (3) is most likely not Jang Cheol. Problem is I think he has been credited in movies that he doesn't appear in.

Do your magic JJ!

LOL, it was enough of a mess to begin with, but it seems KMDB has updated both Jang Cheol pages and made things even more confusing :lol:

What's causing the most trouble here, is that the Lee Jae-yeong that is Unknown Korean Actor (3) is given the stage name of Jang Cheol according to the KMDB. Since they interviewed him I assume it's correct, but of all the films I could confirm he is in, he's never been credited as Jang Cheol.

I have a theory that maybe he got it on the set of North Shaolin & South Shaolin as both Lee Jae-yeong's feature in it, but this is just a hunch. And good luck thinking the Hanja credits might help, as I went through them and it's mostly gibberish.

The Unknown Korean Actor's will be one of my first ports of call. My magic will be swift and terrible. :P
Cheers
J.J.Hayden
HKMDB Editor

Postby J.J.Hayden » Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:41 pm

Still waiting on a few things before I can make a start on the complete overhaul of these guys. But as I was doing something else involving Soul Killer[1982] and Monkey War [1982], and since this involved simply adding rather than changing, I added a few pics of Lee Jae-yeong #1 as he does appear in these movies.

I only had access to Soul Killer thanks to Gaijin84, so cheers. :mrgreen:

It seems someone has put one of his pics in the preceding movie New Pilgrims To The West [1982], but as far as I could see (on a YT vid), he's only in Monkey War, so if someone more familiar with Taiwanese cinema wants to check it over, I'd appreciate it.

Cheers
J.J.Hayden
HKMDB Editor

Postby Gaijin84 » Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:34 pm

Weighing back in here... are we determining that HKMDB's Jang Cheol is going to be the guy that is slightly cross-eyed for now, no matter what his real name is down the line?

His filmography has almost no actual roles, which makes me think he is still being mixed with this guy and I don't think they are the same person.
Gaijin84
HKMDB Immortal

Postby J.J.Hayden » Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:07 pm

They're not the same person. If the credit is for Jang Cheol, assume it is the comedic actor as even though they say on the KMDB that the white beard guy also has the stage name Jang Cheol, I've never seen it. I've only seen him credited as Lee Jae-yeong, which causes him to be mixed with the other Lee Jae-yeong, especially as they're both in South & North Shaolin :shock:

I'll try to move the "Lee Jae-yeong situation" up in priorities list to finally put an end to the confusion (funnily enough I just spotted him in another un-credited role this morning :P But it won't be this week, I'm already 5 layers down in a project that started off as a side thing, and turned into a huge multifaceted nightmare :oops:
J.J.Hayden
HKMDB Editor

Postby Gaijin84 » Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:16 pm

I can certainly create another unknown Korean actor entry (4) for the cross-eyed guy - if no one objects I'll do that on Monday. I think maybe we shouldn't have a Jang Cheol in the database until we figure out who it actually is
Gaijin84
HKMDB Immortal

Postby J.J.Hayden » Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:56 pm

There's no need, Jang Cheol is the cross-eyed guy 8) . All the pics on his page are fine, there may be a few mistakes on his film credits but I'll address these and the two Lee Jae-yeong's and the page for Kang Ho at the same time, so it might be better to leave it be for now and I'll get round to it soon. I might not be explaining it well, but in my head it's all crystal clear. :mrgreen:
J.J.Hayden
HKMDB Editor

Postby Gaijin84 » Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:49 pm

J.J.Hayden wrote:There's no need, Jang Cheol is the cross-eyed guy 8) . All the pics on his page are fine, there may be a few mistakes on his film credits but I'll address these and the two Lee Jae-yeong's and the page for Kang Ho at the same time, so it might be better to leave it be for now and I'll get round to it soon. I might not be explaining it well, but in my head it's all crystal clear. :mrgreen:

Makes sense - just two credits that I know are wrong... Incredible Shaolin Thunderkick (1982) and 7-Star Grand Mantis (1983). Both those are based on thinking Unknown Korean Actor (3) was Jang Cheol.
Gaijin84
HKMDB Immortal

Postby J.J.Hayden » Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:39 pm

Lee Jae-yeong #1 / LJY#2 / Jang Cheol project update

I've finally got things organised and ready to be uploaded in what I believe is the most efficient and simple way possible. Sorting this whole thing will involve changing the pages of five people. One being removed completely and four updates including two brand new IDs. This will hopefully help to keep things organised and easy to understand what's been changed and what new info has been added.

The last four will have their own update threads, but I'll put the deletion here as it's fairly straight forward. The deleted page was for Kang Ho (2), the only credit being of Double Dragon In Last Duel [1978] but this was a miscrediting. The reason being that Kang Ho (or Kkang Ho) is actually a not often used stage name of Lee Jae-yeong #1 (probably to play off Wang Ho's name) who was the film's star. The info (and 2 pics) on Kang Ho (2) belonged to a different Korean martial arts actor who's main stage name is Wang Ho (though his real name is Choe Kang-ho), who only began working on films in the late 80s, none of which I've found on the HKMDB. None of the info needed to be moved as it all applied specifically to Choe Kang-ho.

The first of the four updates is only loosely connected, in that due to an incorrectly tagged picture in South Shaolin Vs North Shaolin [1984] (that implied LJY#1 played two characters) led to some confusion. I wasn't totally convinced it was him, but I thought maybe it's just the beard and make-up blurring his features and at first it made me consider that LJY#1 and #2 were probably the same person. It took tracking down Swordsman San Ji-ni 3 to finally get proof that there was two LJYs. The actor in the incorrectly tagged picture was actually Ma Bin, so I'll correct that error and cover his other films too, as there's only a few on the HKMDB.

All being well, I'll upload the other three updates over the next few days. I'm happy to finally close the book on this subject which apparently has been a puzzle for some time. If there's any further confusion, feel free to ask.

Cheers
J.J.Hayden
HKMDB Editor

Postby Gaijin84 » Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:29 pm

Seriously incredible work here on this whole saga of IDs - invaluable contributions!!
Gaijin84
HKMDB Immortal

Postby J.J.Hayden » Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:09 pm

Mo man tai. It was overdue, but my external hard-drive issue screwed with things a bit and I also can't help going down rabbit holes, especially when I know some things to be safe from me forgetting them completely, I tend to put them on hold :P

Still, the thanks is appreciated and it's always satisfying for me to put an end to a mystery. :mrgreen:

Cheers
J.J.Hayden
HKMDB Editor

Return to Actor Identification