2010: The Digital Movie Bonanza

Discussions on Asian cinemas: Japanese, Korean, Thai, ....

Re: 2010: The Digital Movie Bonanza

Postby Mike Thomason » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:38 pm

Points taken about the "adult elements" of other countries cinematic output of the era; I'm not really conversant in European or Japanese cinema of the day, so I just based my comment on what little I did know. Obviously, in regard to American cinema (which I wasn't trying to denigrate as being overly conservative) 1968 was a watershed year for many changes in what was permissible - one of my favourite American westerns, The Wild Bunch was historic evidence of that. Anyway, some more Shaw titles I've managed to secure since my last post...

Behind the Yellow Line (now OOP in HK on DVD; Blu-ray still available)
Empress Wu
Journey of the Doomed (now OOP in HK on DVD)
Killers Five (replacement for faulty Malaysian edition as listed above)*
Look Out, Officer! (replacement for faulty Malaysian edition as listed above)*
The Lotus Lamp
Mahjong Heroes (Long OOP in HK on DVD)
On the Wrong Track (Long OOP in HK on DVD)
The Rat Catcher
The Sword and the Lute (Long OOP in HK on DVD)

And a little Blu-ray present for my wife, who was a huge Michael Jackson fan...

This is It (Blu-ray edition)

Additionally, as a "present of misfortune", I've been off work three days with stronger than usual flu bug - outside possibility is that I contracted swine flu while abroad :(

* quality control obviously has never been a high priority for Malaysian distributor Speedy Home Entertainment (as I've had several duds from them over the years)
http://eyeswidescreen.wordpress.com/ (Due for a sporadic return throughout 2010)
Mike Thomason

Postby Mike Thomason » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:26 pm

Folks might be pleased to know that, much to my amazement, there's a new Shaw title being released through IVL on March 23rd...

http://www.dddhouse.com/v3/product_deta ... ctID=10649

...a whisker dearer than the older titles used to be, but a new Shaw title nonetheless. Maybe those internet rumours* were true afterall? :wink:

* except the Kam & Ronson being the new dustributor bit -- IVL renewed their licence in 2008.
http://eyeswidescreen.wordpress.com/ (Due for a sporadic return throughout 2010)
Mike Thomason

Postby Masterofoneinchpunch » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:42 pm

Journey of the Doomed has to be my least favorite Shaw Brother film I have ever saw. There is a R1 release Well Go) that is in print.

Jealous of all those Shaw's you got :).

Speaking of Peckinpah (I'm a fan but I need to see more films of his; I've seen seven): watched Ride the High Country last night. I've liked so many Randolph Scott acted westerns and this is amongst them (the Budd Boetticher directed films of The Ranown Cycle are also tops with me). Always fun to see Peckinpah push boundaries of that time period. I'm going to have to do some more research on that film. The extra: Justified Life: Sam Peckinpah and the High Country had more to do with his early life as narrated from his sister than about the film. The next film I watch of his will be Major Dundee.
My Amazon Reviews

“That’s Icky to Infinity.” – The Tick
Masterofoneinchpunch

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:33 pm

Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:watched Ride the High Country last night. I've liked so many Randolph Scott acted westerns and this is amongst them

Safe bet that we both picked this up for the same price at the same place? ;) RIDE was on my Amazon wish list for ages, so it was a pleasant surprise when it turned up at BL in the $3 Warner liquidation racks. I remember if from years ago on television, but I suspect the DVD will be a whole new experience, when time permits to finally watch it (at last!). Also found THE BALLAD OF CABLE HOGUE there which isn't quite on par, but still prime Peckinpah (and another one I've only seen on television, so it's great to find the DVD for such a swell price). Have to agree that WILD BUNCH ('69, surely? ;) ) was one of those key pictures that all but demanded new tolerances for violence in mainstream, A-list Hollywood product, although plenty of independent producers (and possibly the odd of studio production, if I recall correctly) had beaten Peckinpah and company to the punch, by at least a few years and in various genres, and many even managed to get their pictures distributed by the majors (mostly to drive-ins and metropolitan centres, no doubt), meaning that wide-ish roll-outs were not uncommon, but they too often tend only to get their due in discussions of "exploitation" fare, which I'm not always sure is entirely fair. Still, all in all, it would have been an interesting time to be a film buff, if I'd been born yet! :lol:
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Masterofoneinchpunch » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:17 pm

Brian Thibodeau wrote:
Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:watched Ride the High Country last night. I've liked so many Randolph Scott acted westerns and this is amongst them

Safe bet that we both picked this up for the same price at the same place? ;) RIDE was on my Amazon wish list for ages, so it was a pleasant surprise when it turned up at BL in the $3 Warner liquidation racks. I remember if from years ago on television, but I suspect the DVD will be a whole new experience, when time permits to finally watch it (at last!). Also found THE BALLAD OF CABLE HOGUE there which isn't quite on par, but still prime Peckinpah (and another one I've only seen on television, so it's great to find the DVD for such a swell price). Have to agree that WILD BUNCH ('69, surely? ;) ) was one of those key pictures that all but demanded new tolerances for violence in mainstream, A-list Hollywood product, although plenty of independent producers (and possibly the odd of studio production, if I recall correctly) had beaten Peckinpah and company to the punch, by at least a few years and in various genres, and many even managed to get their pictures distributed by the majors (mostly to drive-ins and metropolitan centres, no doubt), meaning that wide-ish roll-outs were not uncommon, but they too often tend only to get their due in discussions of "exploitation" fare, which I'm not always sure is entirely fair. Still, all in all, it would have been an interesting time to be a film buff, if I'd been born yet! :lol:

myself wrote:Sam Peckinpah's Legendary Westerns Collection (The Wild Bunch / Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid / Ride the High Country / The Ballad of Cable Hogue)

Actually got it from the box set which I got used at FYE with a half off coupon. I had two of them already but I got the set quite cheap.

I haven't got to watching THE BALLAD OF CABLE HOGUE yet. I feel that STRAW DOGS is quite over-the-top :D.

American films: Don't forget BONNIE AND CLYDE (1967) which really pushed the violence level up for mainstream Hollywood (since the Hays Code in 1934; though one wonders how in the world did The Scarlet Empress (1934) passed the code EDIT: I'm getting conflicting reports on whether this acually was passed or came out right before). There were definitely plenty of films that pushed the edge like racism in The Intruder (1962), nudity in The Pawnbroker (1964), scenes of atrocities like in Judgment at Nuremberg (1961).
Last edited by Masterofoneinchpunch on Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Amazon Reviews

Masterofoneinchpunch

Postby Bearserk » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Masterofoneinchpunch wrote: I got the sex quite cheap.

You got what cheap :shock:

Do we need to add a age restriction to the forum, or did you just have your mind a different place, hehe ;)
Bearserk
Chief Image Editor

Postby Masterofoneinchpunch » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:21 pm

Bearserk wrote:

Do we need to add a age restriction to the forum, or did you just have your mind a different place, hehe ;)

Hee Hee, fixed the typo (or was it a Freudian slip). Sometimes I like to put little puns out there or malapropisms, but that one was a pure mistake.
My Amazon Reviews

Masterofoneinchpunch

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:31 pm

Bearserk wrote:

Hey, now, let's not knock cheap sex. The less you have to pay, the more you get to have . . . or so I've heard. Image Besides, Shawn lives in California, so we can't really blame him. :D

Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:There were definitely plenty of films that pushed the edge like racism in The Intruder (1962) . . .

Taken in context—i.e. early in his career, before his style and mannerisms were well-known or imitated—this is one of the better Shatner performances on record.
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Mike Thomason » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:35 am

More Shaws! I'm determined on cracking the magical 400 owned-DVDs benchmark :P

Guess Who Killed My Twelve Lovers?
A Place to Call Home
Susanna
A Time for Love
Usurpers of Emperor's Power
Young Lovers (Jenny Hu)

Now, is there anything contemporary (eg: from the last couple of years) out of Hong Kong that anyone would like to recommend? :shock:
Last edited by Mike Thomason on Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mike Thomason

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:27 am

Mike Thomason wrote:More Shaws! I'm determined on cracking the magical 400 owned-DVDs benchmark :P

I'll welcome you to the club then. I'm at 441 (not boasting, since I've watched only a fraction but, like a loser, I actually counted :lol: ). Technically, the number was higher a while back, but I realized rounding up so many Shaw movies while relying solely on memory was a slight mistake, as I ended up with a few duplicates. For the first time ever, I actually had to make a list of something I own just to carry it on my iPod for visits to the Chinatowns here, otherwise I'd be bound to keep blowing money unnecessarily. :(

Most frustratingly, there's one huge Chinese movie/music place between home and the office that has a massive stock of Shaw DVDs and VCDs in stock—probably about 150-200 different titles I'd guess, some in multiples, and enough OOP stuff to make me seriously nervous about procrastinating too long before buying the ones I still need. The problem is their prices, which have never dropped—$24.99CDN (about the same in AUD it seems) for a DVD, $14 for a VCD. Every other place around the city where I've bought them priced them around $5-$12 for DVDs and $5 or less for VCDs—depending largely on how long they gathered dust on the shelves—but I suspect these folks figure somebody, sooner or later, will want them bad enough to pay full price. I honestly hope it's not me, thus I visit about once a week to see if they've had a sudden change of heart, but so far, no luck. I'm patient . . . more or less. :lol:

Actually, this reminds me. I picked up some 2-for-1 Shaws on the weekend, in small part because of the recent discussion before, but mostly because the good man at the Wa Yi Trading Co.'s replaced his "30% Off Shaws" sign with a "Buy-One-Get-One" sign as part of his perpetual Going-Out-of-Business sale. He routinely switches the signs, which is kind of a pain, since I rarely seem to be downtown when the better deal is on.

Anyways, still gotta read Mike's full list a few posts back, but I'd bet most of these are already on it or previously seen:
(can't top his $6 a pop either; these were about $7.50 each, but in fairness, his airfare to Malaysia is much cheaper than mine :lol: Wish I knew a reliable online retailer over there!)

MASTER STRIKES BACK
CLAN FEUDS
THE SAVAGE 5
LEGEND OF THE FOX
IRON BUDDHA
THE WEIRD MAN
MONKEY KUNG-FU
LOVE WITHOUT END x2 (original and remake)
THE PIRATE

Edit: Forgot a few that I picked up during a recent trip to the states:

DVD:
KING'S ROW (1942)
PAYBACK: DIRECTOR'S CUT (1999)
I love the original, despite it's troubled history, but held off on this one until it was super cheap, just to be safe.

Warner 4 Film Favorites: Urban Action (BLACK BELT JONES, HOT POTATO, THREE THE HARD WAY; BLACK SAMSON)

BLU:
WIZARD OF OZ: EMERALD EDITION (3 Disc)
$13.99 at Deep Discount ever so briefly, then back up to $40. They oughta have sales like that more often!
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:29 pm

For those so inclined, and with stores nearby, it appears Big Lots has rolled out yet another huge assortment of $3 brand new DVDs, mostly Paramount stuff from what I've been reading (perhaps they learned something from the higher-priced $5 Paramount palettes that barely moved a few weeks back). I really fear for my wallet when I'm back home next weekend, especially as the store in Michigan that I visit doesn't get picked over too heavily, meaning I may end up with another armful of stuff. :roll: (thank god for resale!) Just a heads-up for some of you folks who don't mind slumming a bit. :lol: I think we're gonna see a lot more of these deals in the months and years ahead . . .
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Mike Thomason » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:34 pm

Brian Thibodeau wrote:MASTER STRIKES BACK

Nice score on that one! It was the one DVD, that I harboured some interest in (due to having the first film in the set, THE KUNG FU INSTRUCTOR, already), that got away.
I ordered it from three different online retailers, who listed it as a stock item, and each one came back with it being OOP.
And, of course, it hasn't seen DVD release in Malaysia or Singapore yet... :(
Foiled again!
Mike Thomason

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:37 pm

Mike Thomason wrote:
Brian Thibodeau wrote:MASTER STRIKES BACK

Nice score on that one! It was the one DVD, that I harboured some interest in (due to having the first film in the set, THE KUNG FU INSTRUCTOR, already), that got away.
I ordered it from three different online retailers, who listed it as a stock item, and each one came back with it being OOP.
And, of course, it hasn't seen DVD release in Malaysia or Singapore yet... :(
Foiled again!

Pure luck more than anything, I guess. Whatever I can find, and preferably cheaply, I'll take at this point. Certain discs are still out there, if in ever decreasing quantities, so hopefully MASTER will turn up sooner or later in your neck of the woods. Perhaps your nearby Chinatown might have some Shaw stragglers squirreled away in a dusty corner? While I'm not fully up-to-speed on OOP titles, I know there are a few available in at least one store here (as mentioned in a previous post), but my most frustrating roadblock so far has been in trying to locate a couple of the CRIMINALS films to complete that set. I was able to find just one in a store here and two online back when they were in print, but I delayed on the others and now face the same OOP emails from online retailers, usually after several weeks of "trying to locate these products for you" emails. :? Can't win 'em all, I suppose.
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Mike Thomason » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:11 pm

Well, maybe if I'm lucky The Master Strikes Back might see a release on DVD in Singapore soon -- as we've already started talking about our next trip abroad.

Btw, does anyone per chance have a DVD copy of the George Lam SB comedy Disco Bumpkins? I picked up the Singaporean edition a couple of weeks ago, while in Malaysia, and the disc is only 4:3 (even though it was a later release on the HK schedule); I'd like to confirm whether or not the HK disc is actually 16:9 anamorphic?

4:3 letterbox DVD transfers tend to look a bit naff on our 106cm HD set :(
Mike Thomason

Postby Mike Thomason » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:54 pm

Well, since we last all met for tea and scones and tableside banter, I ordered some more Shaw titles...

Death Valley
The Fastest Sword
The Magnificent Swordsman
Rape of the Sword
Shaolin Prince
Shaolin Rescuers*
The Twin Swords

* stb OOP -- but again, we'll what comes through the week; the last two OOP titles (The Bastard Swordsman series & The Jade Raksha) proved to be just that, sadly.
Update: Lost out on the IVL version of King Boxer, but they came through with the OOP title Shaolin Rescuers (not a high priority title for me, but I scored one!)
Last edited by Mike Thomason on Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Thomason

Postby cal42 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:03 pm

Coming soon (or already here, watched and reviewed with my finger hovering on the "post" button):

Haeundae (not sure I'll like this, but I'll give it a go)
The Fate of Lee Khan (got tired of waiting for a DVD version, so I got the VCD)
When Taekwondo Strikes
Welcome to Dongmakgol (liked it, and even persuaded my girlfriend to watch it)
Tokyo Zombie
Thirst (on Blu-ray)

And I have to admit a boob - I saw a Special Edition "Red Cliff" BD and whipped it off the shelf pronto when I saw it was in two parts. It's been chopped up horribly over here, and I assumed this was the original version, but it turns out there's still an awful lot that's been removed.

Kind of wished I hadn't wimped out of buying the BDs in Toronto now!
Heroes of the East - the only blog in the world with the world famous Lam Suet-o-meter!
cal42

Postby Mike Thomason » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:23 am

Which reminds me -- for the Shaw fans on board: which of the Huangmei Opera films on DVD are the ones that feature the multi-part overview featurettes?
I recently bought The Lotus Lamp and that had the third part in the featurettes (which focused on the stories themselves); it'd be nice to snap up the other parts of the series -- and the films that accompany them too. :wink:
Mike Thomason

Postby Masterofoneinchpunch » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:05 am

Let's see what I got lately:

Black Magic 2 (1981) Hong Kong: I know Brian likes this.
Match Point (2006): Haven't seen this Woody Allen film yet.
Reds (1981)
Jimmy Neutron Boy Genius (2001)
She Wore A Yellow Ribbon (1949): Already watched.
The Dark Knight (2008) LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY: Was happy to find this for cheap at FYE.
Ninja Assassin (2009)
Aces Go Places (1 through 5: Fortune Star Box Set): Just saw the first one.
To Kill A King () Blu-ray
The 36th Chamber of Shaolin (1978: HK): Have seen the DVD.
Return to the 36th Chamber (1980: HK): Already watched.
Call Me Madam (1953)
Woodstock - 3 Days of Peace & Music (The Director's Cut) (1970)
Duel in the Sun (1946): Already seen.
Man on Wire (2008)
The Cardinal (1963)
Alice Adventures in Wonderland (1972)
Alice in Wonderland (1933)
Balls of Fury (2007): Have seen a few times.
Modigliani (2004)
The Kite Runner (2007)
48 HRS/Another 48 HRS: Looking forward to seeing again.
Beast Cops (1998: HK): Really looking forward to this one.
My Amazon Reviews

Masterofoneinchpunch

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:07 am

Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:Let's see what I got lately:

Reds (1981)
The Cardinal (1963)

Big Lots, by chance? :D

Went there myself this weekend and did not leave empty handed. Based on what I'd been reading in a thread at another forum, I figured there were about four or five I'd buy from this latest Paramount dump, but I left with around fourteen. :shock: :lol: (including three Elvis movies!) I'll update when I get back home. Best. Prices. Anywhere.

Watched this one myself about two weeks ago. Ordered it for my mom actually (big fave, apparently), at Amazon during their big Warner sale, and borrowed it when she was done with it. Now I'm not sure I want to give it back. Great film!
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:20 am

Home at last. Here's the Big Lots haul (or, as I like to call them, funding for future Hong Kong DVDs :lol: )

DAYS OF HEAVEN (Paramount version; at $3 the perfect price to decide whether to upgrade to the Criterion Blu)
REDS: 25th ANNIVERSARY EDITION
DEATH WISH (seen plenty of times over the years, but never owned)
CHINATOWN: CENTENNIAL COLLECTION (BL also has the previous special edition of this for $3, which has alternate special features)
THE TWO JAKES: SPECIAL COLLECTOR'S EDITION (hardly special, with one featurette and a trailer)
APRIL FOOL'S DAY (1986) - 2006 packaging
DONOVAN'S REEF
FUNNY FACE: CENTENNIAL COLLECTION (again, BL also had the earlier 50th Ann. edition in the display)
THE LADIE'S MAN (Jerry Lewis; had to at least experience one of his movies)
THE ITALIAN JOB (already own the U.K. import with the easy-to-damage packaging, which this will replace)
AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH (previously seen)
PARADISE, HAWAIIAN STYLE*
ROUSTABOUT*
FUN IN ACAPULCO*

THE RAINMAKER (Coppola) Bought for someone else

* The three Elvis movies mentioned earlier. I picked up LIVE A LITTLE LOVE A LITTLE from BL a few visits back and was rather taken by its now-quaint charms (and the inclusion of a favourite song, "Edge of Reality"). Not the first Elvis movie I'd ever seen, but probably the first one I'd seen all the way through (a few others were caught in bits and pieces on television 30 years ago). LIVE A LITTLE had all the visual hallmarks and storytelling depth of a higher quality AIP Beach movie (to reference a recent sidetrack in this thread) of the era, though it was released by a bigger studio. Again, for $3, these other three are at least worth a look . . .

Also:

RED HEAT (Blu-ray) An $8.00 Wal-Mart special

And, just picked up tonight:

THE STORM WARRIORS
BODYGUARDS AND ASSASSINS
BAD BLOOD DDD House has this coming out next week, but I'm guessing the store I got it at here released it early to get a whatever meager advantage it could before the inevitable bootlegging

I was tempted to get CONFUCIUS, but that will have to wait until pay day, I suppose.
Last edited by Brian Thibodeau on Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Masterofoneinchpunch » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:41 pm

Brian Thibodeau wrote:
Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:Let's see what I got lately:

Reds (1981)
The Cardinal (1963)

Big Lots, by chance? :D

Went there myself this weekend and did not leave empty handed. Based on what I'd been reading in a thread at another forum, I figured there were about four or five I'd buy from this latest Paramount dump, but I left with around fourteen. :shock: :lol: (including three Elvis movies!) I'll update when I get back home. Best. Prices. Anywhere.

Watched this one myself about two weeks ago. Ordered it for my mom actually (big fave, apparently), at Amazon during their big Warner sale, and borrowed it when she was done with it. Now I'm not sure I want to give it back. Great film!

Of course Big Lots :D. It was a couple different visits though. Yeah you are right on all of those :).

I'm a fan of John Ford (been a bigger one the past few years). I have now seen 29 of his many, many films :D. I enjoyed SHE WORE A YELLOW RIBBON. It is one of his calvary pictures along with FORT APACHE (which I really want to watch) and one more.

RE: DAYS OF HEAVEN: I have the Criterion version (not the blu-ray yet). It is a beautifully directed film. I'm not so sure on the VO and some of the acting performances like Sam Shepard, but it is a good film. Some Criterion fan-boys usually put this as one of their favs.

RE: THE LADIES MAN: I have this in a Jerry Lewis Collection. Haven't seen it yet, but I highly recommend THE BELLBOY is you get a chance. So far it is my favorite JL film over THE NUTTY PROFESSOR, THE FAMILY JEWELS (which I do like) and THE DELICATE DELINQUENT

Extra and random thoughts: Have you seen FUNNY FACE? I'm still not sure what I think of CHINATOWN. I love certain scenes, but there is this underlying feeling of not only Polanski, but almost racist connotation I feel at the end. Not sure. It's been years since I have seen THE TWO JAKES (but great for you mentioning this; this could be a great gift for my Dad if I find it) One of these days I'm going to have to watch DEATH WISH. Have no interest in AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH :D. I don't know if I've ever seen a whole Elvis film (most likely no). I will have to give a few a chance sooner than later.
My Amazon Reviews

Masterofoneinchpunch

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:08 am

Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:Have you seen FUNNY FACE?

No, but I've read a fair amount about it over the years in various books I have. It's one of many that I figured I'd get around to sooner later, either by renting or buying affordably (which seemed increasingly unlikely until these golden Big Lots dumps.

Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:I don't know if I've ever seen a whole Elvis film (most likely no). I will have to give a few a chance sooner than later.

Easily worth a try at these prices. If you don't like them, you can probably sell them or trade them for about what you paid, if not more.

One amusing thing about Elvis movies I've seen is how often awkwardly they try to work song performances into the narrative, rather than just having them background a montage. Elvis must SING! Since most of his movies weren't musicals, per se, and because he made so many of them in his prime, the filmmakers must have gone insane thinking up ways to inject another potential hit into the plot line for Presley to perform, as they did in this obvious and barely surreal "dream sequence" from LIVE A LITTLE LOVE A LITTLE:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZBG5AY8AUQ
(this clip does no justice to the film's widescreen compositions, but it does suggest the cotton candy flavor of the picture.)
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Mike Thomason » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:53 pm

Rounding out the month and leaning into Easter, some more Shaws...

A Friend from Inner Space
Hong Kong Playboys
How to Choose a Royal Bride
The Iron Buddha
Law or Justice?
Let's Make Laugh II
Love with the Perfect Stranger
Mr. Virgin
Pursuit
Six Assassins
Trilogy of Swordsmanship
The Winged Tiger

...and we're definitely heading into the home straight for the final few dozen Shaw titles I wanted to collect now. :P
Last edited by Mike Thomason on Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Thomason

Postby Harlock » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:24 am

so far theses are the shaw brothers title i can't find anywhere on DVD

IVL101656 Legends Of Lust (1972)
IVL103100 Ghost Eyes (1974)
IVL611001 Hong Kong Nocturne (1967)

still got 50-60 dvds to buy to got them all (yes all), not bad :D

20 are from the 70's (my priority) and the rest from the 80's

ordered this week and shipped
dddhouse
V-IVL102585 DVD-Mad World Of Fools A
V-IVL101496 DVD-Shadow Boxer The
V-IVL101205 DVD-King Gambler
V-IVL106538 DVD-Rolls Rolls I Love You
V-IVL107078 DVD-Thunderbolt Fist The
V-IVL101182 DVD-Human Goddess The
V-IVL105470 DVD-River Of Fury
V-IVL100567 DVD-Heroes Of Sung
-IVL109485 DVD-Starry Is The Night
V-IVL102394 DVD-Five Billion Dollar Legacy
V-IVL105708 DVD-Jade Faced Assassin The
V-IVL100581 DVD-Sunset
V-IVL106873 DVD-Golden Lion The

on ebay

IVL103384 Lover's destiny OOP
IVL106569 Rival of Kung Fu OOP Thai edition
IVL101311 Web of Death OOP
IVL103575 Shaolin avenger OOP
The Enchanting Ghost zoke dvd (ivl vcd only)

amazon france

La main de fer (2 dvd edition) (king Boxer) OOP
18 armes legendaires (Legendary Weapons Of China)
Le tigre de Jade (Jade Tiger) OOP

joy sales dvds

V-JSDVD3168 DVD-Big Boss Of Shanghai (Fortune Star) (1979)
V-JSDVD3278 DVD-Hellfire Angel The (Fortune Star) (1979)
V-JSDVD3469 DVD-In The Line Of Duty III (Fortune Star) (1988)
V-JSDVD3415 DVD-Lady Killer The (Fortune Star)
V-JSDVD3156 DVD-Queen's Ransom A (Fortune Star) (1976)
V-JSDVD3134 DVD-Kung Fu Girl (Fortune Star) (1973)
V-JSDVD3159 DVD-Blade Spares None The (Fortune Star) (1971)
V-JSDVD3083 DVD-Backalley Princess (Fortune Star)
V-JSDVD3150 DVD-Bandits From Shantung (Fortune Star) (1972)
V-JSDVD3323 DVD-Crazy Chase The (Fortune Star) (1981)
V-JSDVD3490 DVD-Mr Vampire III (Fortune Star) (1987)
V-JSDVD3218 DVD-Naughty Boys (Fortune Star) (1986)
V-JSDVD3209 DVD-Pom Pom Strikes Back (Fortune Star) (1986)
V-JSDVD3026 DVD-School On Fire (Fortune Star) (1988)
V-JSDVD3169 DVD-Those Merry Souls (Fortune Star) (1985)
V-JSDVD3338 DVD-Return Of Pom Pom The (Fortune Star) (1984)
V-JSDVD3176 DVD-Pom Pom (Fortune Star) (1984)
V-JSDVD3139 DVD-Mr Boo Meets Pom Pom (Fortune Star) (1985)
V-JSDVD3485 DVD-Mr Vampire II (Fortune Star) (1986)
V-JSDVD3488 DVD-Inspector Wear Skirt The (Fortune Star) (1988)

i want Little Big Soldier (Blu-ray) (2010)Pre-Order (Release on Apr 10) but after police story blu-ray im afraid of hk blu-ray
Harlock
HKMDB Immortal and Co-Developer

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:40 am

Harlock wrote:still got 50-60 dvds to buy to got them all (yes all), not bad :D

Now I'm impressed with a Shaw haul. Of course, it appears the database here has been a direct benefactor from your efforts as well. 8)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

For those so inclined, WBshop.com has a very nice special on their Warner Archive Collection single-disc DVD-R's. Buy 5 for $55 with free shipping. Their ridiculous regular price on these are $19.95. As well, there are two "$5 Off" coupons (WELCOME09 and CABIN WB) that you can use to bring the order down to $45 shipped. In my mind, $9 is much closer to what these are actually worth, though still a tad high.

THE TERMINAL MAN
THE NEXT VOICE YOU HEAR**

FREEBIE & THE BEAN
CAPTAIN NEMO & THE UNDERWATER CITY
IF LOOKS COULD KILL

**A rather curious/bizarro religious picture, believe it or not, bought solely on the strength of Glenn Erickson's review at DVDTalk (he's about the only reviewer they have worth reading). Perhaps those HK Media Evangelism movies are rubbing off! :lol: Guess I better ship them over to Bearserk ASAP before I start feelin' all healed 'n such. :twisted:
Last edited by Brian Thibodeau on Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Harlock » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:06 am

OOP i must seek on ebay :shock:

IVL101656 Legends Of Lust (1972)
IVL611001 Hong Kong Nocturne (1967)
IVL103100 Ghost Eyes (1974)
IVL613210 the kiss of death
IVL100246 Oily Maniac
IVL104596 The Invincible Fist (1969)
IVL101212 Swordsman And Enchantress (1978)
IVL100673 Heaven and Hell (1979)
IVL102134 Hex Vs Witchcraft (1980)
IVL101069 Two Champions of Shaolin (1980)
IVL107146 Godfather from Canton (1982)
IVL106965 Mercenaries from Hong Kong (1982)
IVL105906 Shaolin Intruders (1983)
IVL103841 The Roving Swordsman (1983)
IVL101786 Holy Flame of the Martial World (1983)
IVL100574 Secret Service of the Imperial Court (1984)
IVL106224 The Hidden Power of the Dragon Sabre (1984)
Harlock

Postby Gaijin84 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:23 pm

Here is Holy Flame of the Martial World on eBay, it is the Thai edition though:

Holy Flame...
Gaijin84
HKMDB Immortal

Postby Harlock » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:36 pm

thanks but i need to "refill" my wallet before :D
Harlock

Postby Masterofoneinchpunch » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:52 pm

Don't forget that Holy Flame of the Martial World is not OOP in its R1 Well Go release. $ 9.16 new at Deep Discount
My Amazon Reviews

Masterofoneinchpunch

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:19 pm

cal42 wrote:And I have to admit a boob - I saw a Special Edition "Red Cliff" BD and whipped it off the shelf pronto when I saw it was in two parts. It's been chopped up horribly over here, and I assumed this was the original version, but it turns out there's still an awful lot that's been removed. Kind of wished I hadn't wimped out of buying the BDs in Toronto now!

Meant to ask Cal about this earlier. I've been thinking of picking up Magnolia's new Blu of the "original international version" of RED CLIFF from Amazon . . .
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0030A6ID0/
. . . but is this the version you suggest is still missing a lot of material? They list a run time of 288 minutes, which I believe was its length during it's Asian run, but you know how Amazon can be with run times on occasion, and your comments have me wondering if this is the version you got. :? I picked up the HK DVDs of this a while back, but have a friend who's willing to take both off my hands (for what I paid, no less) when I'm done with them, so I'd like to be sure I'm getting a worthy replacement. (by the way, those who poo-poohed Woo over his "relevancy" over the past few years can go pound salt, as they say . . . his Hollywood stuff did indeed bottom out, but RED CLIFF shows he never truly lost his mojo. :lol: )
Brian Thibodeau

PreviousNext

Return to Asian Movies