2010: The Digital Movie Bonanza

Discussions on Asian cinemas: Japanese, Korean, Thai, ....

2010: The Digital Movie Bonanza

Postby Bearserk » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:17 am

Seems I have the honour of opening the thread this year.

Another Sky
Barking Dogs Never Bite
Chaser
China Dolls
Crazy Racer
Crying Sky
The Detective
Doctor Ghost
Evil Baby
The Film of Movie
Funny Ghost
Ghost
Ghost and Nimbus
Ghost Servant
The Ghost Story - Print Skin
The Ghost Story - Lin Luk
The Ghost Story - Lotus the Beauty
Massage Girl on the Rainbow
Money Sex Deal
Practicing Doctor
Rebellion
Rich Man
Sex Flash Get
Hot and Spicy
Sound From the Dark
Split Second Murders
Tender Heart
Ultimate Fight
Untold Story - The Lost World
Vampire's Breakfast
Welcome to Dongmakgol
The Wicked Ghost 3 - The Possession
X Imp

Bearserk
Chief Image Editor

Re: 2010: The Digital Movie Bonanza

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:57 am

It's been far, FAR too long since we've seen one of your purchase updates in these threads. Just looking at all the video sleeves is amazing. Well, until I realize how many of those I don't have! :lol: :cry:

Only bought a few in 2010 so far. I'm not at home this weekend, but here's a partial list from what I can remember:

SPLIT SECOND MURDERS
POKER KING
PERFECT MATCH (this may not be a Hong Kong movie. Looks interesting though)
HAEUNDAE (Hong Kong edition; bought mainly to watch the FX sequences again and loan to my GF)
SIMPSONS SEASON 12

The Wa Yi (my usual downtown haunt for most of the above) had an impressive 3-disc (?) SE of FOUNDING OF A REPUBLIC that was tempting, but I'm not sure I want to spend so many $$$ on such blatant propaganda (which fascinates me nonetheless) that I might only watch once. Looks like it comes with some kind of documentary detailing the all the characters in the film, which might be handy.
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Bearserk » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:51 pm

I just hope that I get all of them, still a few that have not been confirmed yet.
What is sad though is that I am only adding to my pile of yet unwatched movies. There are just not enough time in a day to do all that I wish.

Nice to see that you have one of the movies on my list on your list as well :)
Checked the trailer for Poker King, and it might not be a movie for me. Mood just didn't seem right to me.
Which Perfect Match, lots of movies with that name ;)
Haeundae seemed kinda strange, first half of the trailer seemed hilarious and fun, and then they started to add more serious stuff in the last part of it. Yet another one of those tragic comedies? Seen a few of those and they have just never been that big a hit with me.
Simpsons, mmmm :) Around season 12 they were still good as I recall, it was around S15 that they started to become not so good.
Bearserk
Chief Image Editor

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:35 pm

Bearserk wrote:What is sad though is that I am only adding to my pile of yet unwatched movies. There are just not enough time in a day to do all that I wish.

It only gets worse as we age. You'd think it would get easier, but nooooo. :roll: :lol:

Which Perfect Match, lots of movies with that name ;)

This one: http://dddhouse.com/v3/product_details. ... ctID=10293. I think it may be Singaporean or Taiwanese. Not sure. On the packaging, languages are as Mandarin/Cantonese, with Mandarin first, which is sometimes a sign that it's the primary language, so I'm leaning toward Taiwanese. Guess I'll see. Haven't seen any reviews. LoveHKFilm has it on Terrence Yin's filmography as a 2005 film, so I'll have to do some screencaps to see just what the heck it really is! There have been other movies recently that seem to be delayed releases. PANDORA'S BOOTH comes to mind. Our DB says it's from 2007, but it just hit DVD this year. :?

Haeundae seemed kinda strange, first half of the trailer seemed hilarious and fun, and then they started to add more serious stuff in the last part of it. Yet another one of those tragic comedies? Seen a few of those and they have just never been that big a hit with me.

If you watch much Korean cinema, it should be exactly what you'd expect from a Korean disaster movie. In other words, plenty of melodrama, crying, "earthy" humour (i.e. "common folk" comedy) and some knockout special effects. It doesn't top anything Hollywood can do, but it comes closer than any Asian disaster film I've yet seen.

Did a review of HAEUNDAE on my blog, which I'm not that fond of because I don't think I write very well in long-form, but it might give you an idea of what lies waiting ;) :
http://persistentvisions.blogspot.com/2 ... -2009.html

Simpsons, mmmm :) Around season 12 they were still good as I recall, it was around S15 that they started to become not so good.

I haven't had cable TV since about Season 13-14 of the Simpsons (sad, I know). I've just finished the Season 12 set, and it has many episodes I missed the first time around because I worked on Sundays back then, so I got a lot of big laughs out of it. Got it for $20 in a "Boxing Week" post-Christmas sale here. Should've grabbed Season 11, too, but I procrastinated. Going forward, I'll continue to wait until the sets go on sale. If they all were as space-saving as the Season 20 Blu-Ray (two discs in one single-width case, but no extras), I'd probably start getting them all in that format.
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Bearserk » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:07 pm

Brian Thibodeau wrote:It only gets worse as we age. You'd think it would get easier, but nooooo. :roll: :lol:

Now now, don't you take away hope from me :P

Brian Thibodeau wrote:This one: http://dddhouse.com/v3/product_details. ... ctID=10293. I think it may be Singaporean or Taiwanese. Not sure. On the packaging, languages are as Mandarin/Cantonese, with Mandarin first, which is sometimes a sign that it's the primary language, so I'm leaning toward Taiwanese. Guess I'll see. Haven't seen any reviews. LoveHKFilm has it on Terrence Yin's filmography as a 2005 film, so I'll have to do some screencaps to see just what the heck it really is! There have been other movies recently that seem to be delayed releases. PANDORA'S BOOTH comes to mind. Our DB says it's from 2007, but it just hit DVD this year. :?

Seemed interesting enough. Those romantic comedies can sometimes become a bit to sugar coated, but if they keep the mood light enough and the comedy rolling they can be quite entertaining. Looking forward to your review on this one :)

Brian Thibodeau wrote:If you watch much Korean cinema, it should be exactly what you'd expect from a Korean disaster movie. In other words, plenty of melodrama, crying, "earthy" humour (i.e. "common folk" comedy) and some knockout special effects. It doesn't top anything Hollywood can do, but it comes closer than any Asian disaster film I've yet seen.

Did a review of HAEUNDAE on my blog, which I'm not that fond of because I don't think I write very well in long-form, but it might give you an idea of what lies waiting ;) :
http://persistentvisions.blogspot.com/2 ... -2009.html

First time I came across this was I think in Guns and Talks. I can be mistaken, been a while since I borrowed it from a mate of mine. I just couldn't deal with the emotional roller coaster as they went back and forth between outrageous comedy to the next second deep drama and sorrow. The genres is to far apart to be mixed well in my eyes.
Luckily there are good korean movies without it :D

Brian Thibodeau wrote:I haven't had cable TV since about Season 13-14 of the Simpsons (sad, I know). I've just finished the Season 12 set, and it has many episodes I missed the first time around because I worked on Sundays back then, so I got a lot of big laughs out of it. Got it for $20 in a "Boxing Week" post-Christmas sale here. Should've grabbed Season 11, too, but I procrastinated. Going forward, I'll continue to wait until the sets go on sale. If they all were as space-saving as the Season 20 Blu-Ray (two discs in one single-width case, but no extras), I'd probably start getting them all in that format.

I can't remember last time I sat down to watch TV. Not one for schedules. Much easier to have it available to watch whenever you feel like watching it and have the time.
Bearserk
Chief Image Editor

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:23 am

Bearserk wrote:First time I came across this was I think in Guns and Talks. I can be mistaken, been a while since I borrowed it from a mate of mine. I just couldn't deal with the emotional roller coaster as they went back and forth between outrageous comedy to the next second deep drama and sorrow. The genres is to far apart to be mixed well in my eyes.
Luckily there are good korean movies without it :D

It's definitely an acquired taste to the uninitiated. It's grown on me over the years, but it still prevents me from watching Korean DVDs with the regularity that I do Hong Kong DVDs. It's not that Hong Kong doesn't do good melodrama, it's just that they don't feel obligated to cram it into every genre the way they do in Korea. Of course, it's a quintessential part of Korean cinema as well as Korean culture, so i don't think it'll get toned down anytime soon! :lol:

Brian Thibodeau wrote:I can't remember last time I sat down to watch TV. Not one for schedules. Much easier to have it available to watch whenever you feel like watching it and have the time.

Yeah, I can't say I miss it, although on visits home, I tend to watch whatever shows my folks are into, and frequently find myself wishing I could tune in again next week. :( Just this weekend, I watched the four-hour premiere episodes of 24 and was hooked, but now I have to figure out if I can catch future episodes on line. Also caught the premiere (?) of a new show called HUMAN TARGET that was kinda fun, too. Noticed a DC Comics logo at the end, so I assume it's based on one of their titles.

And finally, another visit home means another trip across the border, and another stop at Big Lots (the crackhouse of DVD), where I picked up the following $3 titles:

THEY DIED WITH THEIR BOOTS ON (Errol Flynn; 1941)
CAT PEOPLE SE (1982)
SNL BEST OF ALEC BALDWIN (my all time favourite host)
MARKED WOMAN (Bette Davis; 1937)
WARNER HORROR DOUBLE FEATURE: CHAMBER OF HORRORS/BRIDES OF FU MANCHU (1966)
KNUTE ROCKNE: ALL AMERICAN (Ronald Reagan; 1940)
FOOTLIGHT PARADE (James Cagney; 1933)
HIGHER AND HIGHER (Frank Sinatra; 1943)
THE GRADUATE SE ("Decades Collection", includes 8-song CD)
CARRIE SE ("Decades Collection", includes 8-song CD)
THE CARDINAL (Otto Preminger; 1963)
HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL DOUBLE FEATURE (1959/1999) replacing old singles
LIVE A LITTLE, LOVE A LITTLE (Elvis Presley; 1968)
I LOVE YOU, ALICE B. TOKLAS (Peter Sellers; 1968)
THIRTEEN DAYS SE (Kevin Costner; 2000)
SOMEONE'S WATCHING ME (Lauren Hutton, John Carpenter; 1978)
SPIRIT OF 76 (David Cassidy, Olivia D'Abo; 1990) Longtime extra-guilty pleasure
EXORCIST II: THE HERETIC (Linda Blair; 1977) Ditto
NATURE OF THE BEAST (Lance Henriksen, Eric Roberts; 1995) Another guilty pleasure. Great movie, but the director's a creep in real life
LIVING IN OBLIVION (Steve Buscemi; 1995) Wanted this for years; great to get it at this price
GARBO SILENTS COLLECTION (FLESH AND THE DEVIL; MYSTERIOUS LADY; THE TEMPTRESS)
Last edited by Brian Thibodeau on Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Masterofoneinchpunch » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:41 pm

I felt the Simpsons started going downhill after/during the 8th seasons. It was a slow decline, but by the 11th season the episodes were not quite the same. I bought the 12th season and have seen most of those episodes when they originally aired, but it just isn't the same for me. I do quote constantly from the earlier episodes though.

FOOTLIGHT PARADE is one of the best musicals of the 1930s. It is in my top 50. The choreography is just amazing. I have seen three out of the Bubsy Berkeley first set. Big Lots has been selling WB singles out of sets for awhile -- though you can't always get what you are looking for :).

Jealous of GARBO SILENTS COLLECTION and THE CARDINAL. While I LOVE YOU, ALICE B. TOKLAS is not my favorite Sellers, I would have picked it up if I saw it.

You will notice that some of the below I got from Big Lots as well (I will mark with a BL with the ones I can remember). I was so happy to get Jabberwocky and Bangkok Dangerous at BL. This will also include gifts from Christmas (aka everything since my last post in the 2009 thread).

The Warrior (2001: Korea/China) BL
Bangkok Dangerous (2000) HK/Thailand BL
The Art of Action: Martial Arts in the Movies (2002) BL
Black Mask 2: City of Masks (2002) BL
Jabberwocky BL
102 Dalmatians (2000): this is going OOP soon.
G-Force (Three-Disc DVD/Blu-ray Combo +Digital Copy) [Blu-ray] (2009)
Disney Animation Collection 7: Mickey's Christmas Carol (1993)
The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes (1970)
Dodsworth (1936)
Stalker: Kino version 2-disc. For my pretentious side.
Sleeping Beauty (blu-ray): this is going OOP soon.
Disciples of Shaolin (HK: Shaw Brothers)
Five Element Ninjas (HK: Shaw Brothers)
Man With The Movie Camera (Russia)
101 Dalmations (1996): this is going OOP soon.
Treasure Planet
Walt Disney Treasures: Zorro - The Complete First Season
Walt Disney Treasures - Tomorrowland: Disney in Space and Beyond (1959)
Brad Stine - Conservative Unleashed (2004)
Chaplin's Essanay Comedies, Vol. 02: already watched a few. Not as good as his later material, but still interesting.
Dr. Seuss - The Cat in the Hat (Original Television Episode) (1971)
Saturday Night Live: The Best of Commercial Parodies
Sherlock Holmes Double Feature: The Spider Woman/Sherlock Holmes and the Voice of Terror
American Splendor
Unleashed
The Missing Gun (2002: China)
TCM Greatest Classic Films Collection: Western Adventures (The Wild Bunch / McCabe & Mrs. Miller / Jeremiah Johnson / The Train Robbers)
Vertigo (Universal Legacy Series)
Gangland Season 4
Dukes of Hazzard Season 5,6 BL (I didn't buy this).
The Pee-Wee Herman Show - Live at the Roxy Theater (1982)
Bedknobs and Broomsticks Enchanted Musical Edition (1971)
Ultimate Fighting Championship, Vol. 62: Liddell vs Sobral (2006) BL
Star Trek The Animated Series (1973)
Andy Richter Controls The Universe: totally happy about getting this.
The Silence of the Lambs Criterion: my second copy
Film Noir Classic Collection, Vol. 4 (Act of Violence / Mystery Street / Crime Wave / Decoy / Illegal / The Big Steal / They Live By Night / Side Street / Where Danger Lives / Tension)
Mongol: The Rise of Genghis Khan: watched this weekend.
Superman Returns (2006)
The Saddest Music In The World (2003)
Animaniacs, Vol. 2: Already watched the first disc. So many references to older material (some of it I didn't get the first time). Great stuff
Warner Home Video Western Classics Collection (Escape from Fort Bravo / Many Rivers to Cross / Cimarron 1960 / The Law and Jake Wade / Saddle the Wind / The Stalking Moon)
My Amazon Reviews

“That’s Icky to Infinity.” – The Tick
Masterofoneinchpunch

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:35 pm

Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:Big Lots has been selling WB singles out of sets for awhile -- though you can't always get what you are looking for :).

At this point in the era of DVD—which is evidently nearing its end—I'll take whatever I can get for these prices. If I was really smart, I'd buy doubles and triplicates of these $3 BIG LOTS titles because I usually get two to four times that much when (or if!) I resell them on the Canadian Amazon marketplace. Of course, if I end up liking them, I keep them and haven't spent a fraction of what I would have only a couple of years ago.

I can't count the number of "wanna see but maybe not own" titles that were on my Amazon wishlist for several years while I waited for price drops, sales, etc., and now they're turning up at Big Lots with stunning regularity. If that's not a sign that catalogue DVD is on its way out, I don't know what is. I'm betting you'll see a lot of these Warner titles go OOP within the next year or so, possibly to turn up on the Archive Collection (burn-on-demand DVD-R's) and eventually streaming. And I'm sure other studios will follow. Universal has already launched their own burn-on-demand service, through Amazon I believe. Feels like a stop-gap, to be honest, but still a good way to hunt down some rare pieces. And I have to wonder what will become of all the great extras Warner put together for their catalogue release. :(

Jealous of GARBO SILENTS COLLECTION and THE CARDINAL.

The store I was in only had one Garbo set, so it was a no-brainer. Not to sound cheap or anything (which I am), but it'd be very cool if the Chaney or Laurel & Hardy sets showed up at Big Lots at some point, or even the films in the Forbidden Hollywood sets.

The Art of Action: Martial Arts in the Movies (2002) BL

Bought this many moons ago for the exorbitant sum of $10. :lol: I think it's one of the best documentary overviews on martial arts cinema out there, very accessible to new fans yet well-researched enough for veterans. Although I do think the inclusion of McG as an interview subject was rather pointless.

Superman Returns (2006)

Noticed this on the $3 Big Lots rack on the weekend. Presumably you got it there? I think this one gets a bit of a bum rap from the online community as well as some critics. It's not perfect, but neither (increasingly :lol:) were the originals. I just liked how it stayed largely faithful to the feel of the Donner film(s).
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Masterofoneinchpunch » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:19 pm

At this point in the era of DVD—which is evidently nearing its end—I'll take whatever I can get for these prices.
I can't count the number of "wanna see but maybe not own" titles that were on my Amazon wishlist for several years while I waited for price drops, sales, etc., and now they're turning up at Big Lots with stunning regularity. If that's not a sign that catalogue DVD is on its way out, I don't know what is. I'm betting you'll see a lot of these Warner titles go OOP within the next year or so, possibly to turn up on the Archive Collection (burn-on-demand DVD-R's) and eventually streaming. And I'm sure other studios will follow. Universal has already launched their own burn-on-demand service, through Amazon I believe. ...

I have noticed tons of DVDs going OOP. While the end won't be near for awhile, many of these titles will never see the day on blu-ray (I think even more than VHS titles that have not seen the day on DVD). But I agree I have already seen many films that have increased in price (like Vertical Ray of the Sun) which I bought for three dollars at Big Lots.

I'm not sure what to think of the Archive Collection (we have a little discussion going on over at [url href="http://www.criterionforums.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=790"]criterionforums.com[/url] on that.

The store I was in only had one Garbo set, so it was a no-brainer. Not to sound cheap or anything (which I am), but it'd be very cool if the Chaney or Laurel & Hardy sets showed up at Big Lots at some point, or even the films in the Forbidden Hollywood sets.

That would be awesome. I do own and have already seen everything on the Chaney set (worth getting easily). But yeah those more expensive sets would be great :D. Don't forget the Keaton one (I have seen it but do not own).

SUPERMAN RETURNS was a gift from my bro. He upgraded his and gave me that one. I'm not sure my opinion on that film as it currently falls somewhere in the middle. But that's how I generally am. I see the good points in many films and nitpick as well. I think my biggest dissapointment with that film was the lead's acting, I liked most everything else. Brian, do you watch Smallville or have you seen the Lois & Clark episodes (I have seen the first three seasons and working on the fourth).
My Amazon Reviews

Masterofoneinchpunch

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:53 pm

Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:But I agree I have already seen many films that have increased in price (like Vertical Ray of the Sun) which I bought for three dollars at Big Lots.

Gee, I should've grabbed a few of those. They had a bunch at the Michigan Big Lots I go to, even as recently as this weekend. Perhaps next time . . . :lol:

Brian, do you watch Smallville or have you seen the Lois & Clark episodes (I have seen the first three seasons and working on the fourth).

My girlfriend is a huge fan of SMALLVILLE, and usually rents the season sets, so I've seen various episodes over the years, but I've never watched it on a continuous basis. Pretty good show. Watched a few LOIS & CLARKs back when it was on. Thought it was good, but never really cottoned to it (though I seem to recall it being on opposite something else I watched at the time). They had a lot of the L&C season sets in the big illegal Warner box-set dump at Big Lots earlier this year.
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:27 am

A few odds and ends from the Holiday season (technically these are from 2009, I guess, but I'll stick 'em here since I won't actually see them until some time this year :lol: )

TCM Greatest Classic Movies: American Musicals
BAND WAGON*/MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS/SINGIN' IN THE RAIN*/EASTER PARADE
TCM Greatest Classic Movies: Hitchcock Thrillers
SUSPICION*/THE WRONG MAN*/STRANGERS ON A TRAIN/I CONFESS
TCM Greatest Classic Movies: Sci-Fi
SOYLENT GREEN*/THE TIME MACHINE/FORBIDDEN PLANET*/2001*
TCM Greatest Classic Movies: WWII Battlefront Europe
KELLY'S HEROES*/WHERE EAGLES DARE/THE DIRTY DOZEN*/BATTLEGROUND
TCM Greatest Classic Movies: Holiday
A CHRISTMAS CAROL (1938)*/CHRISTMAS IN CONNECTICUT/IT HAPPENED ON 5th AVENUE/SHOP AROUND THE CORNER*
* sold off previous single-disc editions of these before these four-packs were released. Also have 2001 and SINGIN' on Blu, but don't mind DVD versions as backup. All of these TCM collections were only $12.83 CDN each at Wal-Mart, which is cheaper than U.S. pricing, a rarity in Canada!

G.I. JOE SEASON 1.1 (for nostalgia ;) )

Blu-Rays
MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN
LICENCE TO KILL
MOONRAKER
THE DARK KNIGHT

(got the Bonds & Dark Knight for $10 each at a Walmart Boxing Day sale)
POLTERGEIST - $10 (another Boxing Day bargain; never owned it on DVD, just VHS way way back)
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Harlock » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:42 pm

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Harlock
HKMDB Immortal and Co-Developer

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:34 am

Harlock wrote:Image

Still have to grab this at some point. Excellent movie. Amazon's got it for $16.99US right now, but I may hold off for another sale. Sooo tempting. :lol:
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:48 am

Went down to Chinatown again today. Against my better judgement. :lol: The Wa Yi put out some more 2-for-1 Shaw VCDs, so my wallet took a small but not insignificant pummeling:

THE TREASURE HUNTER
THE NEW SHAOLIN BOXERS
FIVE TOUGH GUYS
ROVING SWORDSMAN
FIVE SUPERFIGHTERS
THE ADULTRESS
THE KUNG FU INSTRUCTOR
SWORDSMAN AT LARGE
THE IMPERIAL SWORDSMAN
ONE WAY ONLY

I have a feeling that when I finally start watching all my Shaw discs, I'll be extremely grateful for Harlock's impeccable galleries! :D

Plus some other VCD odds 'n ends:

THE GHOST INFORMER
BUST FAMILY
NUDE FEAR
(think I already have this, but wasn't sure at the moment)
MR. VAMPIRE II
MR. VAMPIRE III
HOLLYWOOD, HONG KONG
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Harlock » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:23 pm

1$ each :D

ImageImage
Harlock
HKMDB Immortal and Co-Developer

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:31 am

Can't beat $1, but I did get the titles below for $3 each! I actually told myself this weekend that I would skip Big Lots this time around, but some unseen force of nature literally blew my car into the left-hand off-ramp from the Canada-U.S. bridge instead of the right-hand off-ramp and, well, there I was. A lot of these are revisits to movies I rented or owned on VHS, so it's great to finally see them with better A/V quality at this price.

SAN FRANCISCO (1936)
BLACKBOARD JUNGLE (1955)
HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME (1939)
GASLIGHT (1944)
I REMEMBER MAMA (1948)
ANGEL FACE (1952) 8)
PAT GARRETT & BILLY THE KID 2 DISC SE (1973)
EASTER PARADE 2 DISC SE (1948)
TORN CURTAIN (1966)
THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH (1956)
GOLD DIGGERS OF 1933 (1933)
HOLIDAY AFFAIR (1949) (this makes 3 of the 4 titles from the WB Classic Holiday collection have shown up at Big Lots).
NINOTCHKA (1939) 8)
RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY (1962)
HELEN OF TROY (1956)
JEZEBEL SE (1938)
SCI FI BOYS (2006)
FAR FROM HEAVEN (2002)
BACKBEAT SE (1994)
LOST HIGHWAY (1997)
THE MAN WHO WASN'T THERE (2001)
ROGER & ME (1989)
Last edited by Brian Thibodeau on Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:56 am

The HMV chain here is running a deal where you can trade any used DVD for $5 off any Blu-Ray. They've got a lot of $15 and $20 titles, and the trade-in doesn't have to be the same as the upgrade you're taking, so I took the opportunity to unload some ancient stuff and scuffed-up old ex-rentals (they'll take pretty much anything as it's all going to charity) and upgraded the following titles to Blu for $10 each:

TOWERING INFERNO
SHAWN OF THE DEAD
SUNSHINE
U-571
CONTACT
INDEPENDENCE DAY

and this one for $15:

THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM (Blu/DVD combo)
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Mike Thomason » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:24 pm

Yo! Special guest appearance, now that I'm back from my most recent trip to Malaysia and have a spare moment away from the little man while he’s sleeping to post something here (at last). I don't quite have the time I used to any more, as I've changed jobs twice since you all last read me and my wonderful little guy is now 18 months old as well as had his first trip abroad for CNY to meet all of his relatives. Am planning yet another change of job in the near future, as I'm not getting any younger and my family needs better financial support than what the retail industry pays -- but anyway, here's some Shaw Brothers titles* on DVD that I bought since my last post last year... :P

7 Man Army
The 14 Amazons
The 36th Chamber of Shaolin
The 82 Tenants
Ambush
The Amorous Lotus Pan (1963)
The Angry Guest
Apartment for Ladies
The Assassin
Auntie Lan
The Avenging Eagle
Bat Without Wings
The Battle Wizard
Behind the Yellow Line
The Bells of Death
The Big Holdup
The Black Tavern
The Bloody Escape
The Boxer from Shantung
Boxer Rebellion
The Brave Archer
The Brave Archer II
The Brave Archer III
The Brave Archer and His Mate
The Bride from Hell
Brotherhood
The Brothers
Brothers Five
Call to Arms
The Casino
Cat vs. Rat
Challenge of the Gamesters
Challenge of the Masters
Cherie
Chinatown Kid
The Chinese Boxer
Clan Feuds
Clan of the White Lotus
The Condemned
The Convict Killer
Crazy Shaolin Disciples
The Crimson Charm
Crippled Avengers
The Dancing Millionairess
Danger Has Two Faces
The Daredevils
Dead End
The Deadly Breaking Sword
The Deadly Duo
The Delightful Forest
Descendant of the Sun
The Devil’s Mirror
Dirty Ho
Disciples of Shaolin
Disciples of the 36th Chamber
Disco Bumpkins
The Dragon Creek
The Dragon Missile
Dragon Swamp
The Drug Addicts
The Duel
Duel for Gold
The Eight Diagram Pole Fighters
The Enchantress
The Eunuch
Executioners from Shaolin
The Fake Ghost Catchers
Fallen Petals
Fangs of the Cobra
Farewell My Love
Five Element Ninjas
Five Shaolin Masters
Five Tough Guys
The Five Venoms
The Flag of Iron
The Flying Dagger
The Flying Mr. B
The Forbidden Past
Four Riders
Friends
The Fugitive
Full Moon Scimitar
Gambler's Delight
Gang Master
The Generation Gap
Girl with the Diamond Slipper
Godfather of Canton
The Golden Knight
The Golden Lion
The Golden Seal
The Golden Sword
Gossip Street
Gun Brothers
The Happy Trio
Heads for Sale
Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre
Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre II
Heroes of Sung
Heroes of the East
Heroes of the Underground
Heroes Shed No Tears
Hong Kong Rhapsody
House of Traps
How to Pick Girls Up!
The Human Goddess
The Imperial Swordsman
The Imposter
The Informer
Invincible Enforcer
Invincible Shaolin
Iron Bodyguard
It’s All in the Family
The Jade Faced Assassin
Judgement of an Assassin
Kid from Kwangtung
The Kid with the Golden Arm
Killer Constable
Killer Darts
Killers Five
King Boxer
King Cat
King Eagle
King Gambler
The Knight of Knights
The Kung Fu Instructor
The Lady Hermit
The Lady is the Boss
Lady Jade Locket
Lady of the Law
The Lark
Legend of the Bat
Legend of the Fox
Legendary Weapons of China
Let’s Have a Baby
Let’s Make Laugh
Life Gamble
Lion vs. Lion
The Lizard
The Long Chase
Look Out, Officer!
Love on Delivery
Love Parade
Love Without End (Jenny Hu)
Lovers Destiny
Lovers’ Rock
Loving You
Man of Iron
Marco Polo
Martial Club
Masked Avengers
Melody of Love
Men from the Monastery
Mercenaries from Hong Kong
The Mighty One
Mist Over Dream Lake
Murder Plot
Murderer Pursues
My Son
My Young Auntie
Notorious Eight
Oath of Death
Ode to Gallantry
One Armed Swordsman Trilogy
- The One Armed Swordsman
- Return of the One Armed Swordsman
- The New One Armed Swordsman
Opium and the Kung Fu Master
Out of the Dark
Perfect Girls
Perils of the Sentimental Swordsman
The Pirate
Police Force
Prince Charming
The Proud Youth
The Pure and the Evil
Pursuit of Vengeance
Raw Courage
Rear Entrance
The Rebel Intruders
Rendezvous with Death
The Rescue
Return of the Sentimental Swordsman
Return to the 36th Chamber
River of Fury
The Savage Five
Scandal
The Secret of the Dirk
Sex, Love and Hate
The Shadow Boxer
The Shadow Boxing
The Shadow Whip
The Shaolin Avengers
Shaolin Hand Lock
Shaolin Mantis
Shaolin Martial Arts
The Silent Swordsman
The Silver Fox
The Singing Killer
The Singing Thief
Sons of Good Earth
Sorrow of the Gentry
Spring Blossoms
The Spiritual Boxer
Summer Heat
Sunset
Sweet is Revenge
The Swift Knight
Swift Sword
The Sword of Swords
The Sword Stained with Royal Blood
Swordsman at Large
Swordswomen Three
A Taste of Cold Steel
Ten Tigers of Kwangtung
That Fiery Girl
Thirteen
The Thunderbolt Fist
Tiger Killer
To Kill a Jaguar
Tragic Commitment
Trail of the Broken Blade
The Treasure Hunters
Twelve Deadly Coins
Twinkle Twinkle Little Star
Unfinished Melody
Valley of the Fangs
Vengeance is Golden Blade
Village of Tigers
The Wandering Swordsman
The Web of Death
The Water Margin
The Weird Man
What Price Honesty
Whatever You Want
Whose Baby is in the Classroom?
Winner Takes All
The Yellow Muffler
The Young Avenger
Young Lovers (Derek Yee)
Young Lovers on Flying Wheels
Young People
The Young Rebel

Y’know, I’ve never been a tremendous fan of martial arts films per se, but I found with my exploration of many of the catalogue titles from the Shaw library that the more Shaw films I watched, the more I wanted to see, irrespective of genre or era – to the point where Shaw films have been virtually the only Asian films I’ve watched in the last half a year or more (though I did see Johnnie To’s Vengeance on the plane up a couple of weeks ago; liked it enough to order the DVD when I got home). I just found a terribly addictive element to the productions of the studio’s output (which is fairly obvious, based on the above list!).

* was uber lucky in Malaysia! With many HK editions OOP, Singaporean distributor Scorpio East's DVDs are readily available in the region, and there was a whole host of (otherwise) OOP titles on the shelves for me to purchase for around $6AUD a piece. The discs are identical to the IVL editions, right down to the packaging in almost all cases! Yay for me! :)
http://eyeswidescreen.wordpress.com/ (Due for a sporadic return throughout 2010)
Mike Thomason

Postby ewaffle » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:29 am

but anyway, here's some Shaw Brothers titles* on DVD that I bought since my last post last year

Pardon the mess. After reading your list my head asploded. :shock: :D
"I stopped being half-witted and became sly whenever I took the trouble."
Samuel Beckett, "Molloy"
ewaffle

Postby Mike Thomason » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:09 pm

Interesting things I've observed from watching (seemingly) squillions of Shaw Brothers movies:

- Many of the highly revered "martial arts" stars were actually only actors (ie: David Chiang, Liu Yung, Bryan Leung Kar Yan) who harboured the ability to mimic, exceptionally, the styles and choreography of their action directors. Likewise, almost all of the Shaw repertory actors and bonafide martial arts stars were, at some point (if not often), extensively doubled by stuntmen for the more difficult choreography or intensive fight scenes. Kara Hui is a notably example of this...

- One of the more amusing aspects of the earlier martial arts epics, circa 1960s, is that the actors' fight scenes almost exclusively comprised of jumping up and down on the spot and waving their swords around in a variety of circular movements. Rather than being laughable by contemporary standards, I find much of this rather quaint -- the sixties also demonstarted that seamless wirework was a good couple of decades off. There were scenes in many of Lo Lieh's early works where I dreaded seeing his crash into walls or sets when the wires wrenched him off the ground and hurtled him airborne :shock:

- Although rather cutting edge with their contemporary productions in the seventies, by the advent of the eighties the Shaws were well out of synch with the film industry around them. Much of their eighties output has either dated terribly, or resembles much of the shoddy low budget productions that existed as programme filler of the era around them previously. It's not hard to see why they closed (cinematic) shop come the mid-eighties; much of their output were antiquities alongside the films of Cinema City or Golden Harvest.

- Surprisingly, the Shaw studios were way ahead of most of their (western) cousins when it came to either exploitative elements (cheeky bits and blood 'n' guts) or adult topics (extramartial affairs, single motherhood etc) of their productions, stretching all the way back to the mid-sixties. Some of the bloodletting in the sixties martial arts films really took me by surprise, as did the amount of bare skin here and there from the late sixtes through early seventies; their western counterparts were only dabbling in that kind of content during the era.

More anon. :wink:
http://eyeswidescreen.wordpress.com/ (Due for a sporadic return throughout 2010)
Mike Thomason

Postby ewaffle » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:30 pm

- Many of the highly revered "martial arts" stars were actually only actors (ie: David Chiang, Liu Yung, Bryan Leung Kar Yan) who harboured the ability to mimic, exceptionally, the styles and choreography of their action directors.

I have read--although I can't find the reference now, of course--that part of the training that Shaw Brothers contract actors received as a matter of course during their employment was in the cinematic version of martial arts. Not the actual discipline of the martial artist but how an actor impersonates on for the camera. This created a deep pool of supporting players plus stars like those you note who knew much of the basic movement vocabulary of the action directors. Another part of the production genius of the Shaws.
"I stopped being half-witted and became sly whenever I took the trouble."
Samuel Beckett, "Molloy"
ewaffle

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:38 pm

ewaffle wrote:I have read--although I can't find the reference now, of course--that part of the training that Shaw Brothers contract actors received as a matter of course during their employment was in the cinematic version of martial arts.

This is fairly well documented, actually, and shouldn't surprise by now, and it applies outside the Shaw universe as well, then as now. This is a key reason I'm puzzled when many contemporary performers (such as today's young pop star/actor crossover types) are criticized for essentially doing the same thing—mimicry—and often doing it exceedingly well under the guidance of experienced and innovative choreographers. The only surprise this late in the game is when relative newbies are unfairly compared to past performers who "did it for real" . . . apparently! :lol: Nothing new there . . .

Filmed records of (for lack of a better word) purebred martial artists demonstrating their abilities—docu-style clips, etc.—are often interesting, but rarely exciting or kinetic.
Last edited by Brian Thibodeau on Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Masterofoneinchpunch » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:55 pm

Brian Thibodeau wrote:
ewaffle wrote:I have read--although I can't find the reference now, of course--that part of the training that Shaw Brothers contract actors received as a matter of course during their employment was in the cinematic version of martial arts.

This is fairly well documented, actually, and shouldn't surprise by now, and it applies outside the Shaw universe as well, then as now. This is a key reason I'm puzzled when many contemporary performers (such as today's young pop star/actor crossover types) are criticized for essentially doing the same thing—mimicry—and often doing it exceedingly well when under the tutelage of experienced and inventive choreographers. The only surprise this late in the game is when relative newbies are unfairly compared to past performers who "did it for real" . . . apparently! :lol: Nothing new here . . .

Well to be fair many of the MA performers complain today about the newbies as well. Nothing new there though. Of course because of "child laws" many won't be tortured the way Jackie and Sammo were when growing up doing nothing but Peking Opera (and this is another form of mimicry :D). I think many who complain love the Lau Kar-leung dominated MA films where brilliant forms were put on display, real weapons were used etc...

For many of the Shaw performers the Shaw dormitories dominated their lives.

Actually HK was still a bit behind on Europe and North America cinema in dealing with nudity, violence (though really HK cinema was influenced heavily by the chambara cinema in several of these aspects) and adult situations. Bergman had been doing nudity and topics such as abortion since the late 50s. Swedish cinema helped push Europe (which also was ahead of America in those situations, not counting pre-code films of course) and North America to eventually get past the Hays Code (and once it was past it, mainstream nudity and violence kept pushing further and further). But the change through most of the world was happening quite quickly in the cinema of the 60s though.

I found this quote from David Bordwell's book Planet Hong Kong interesting: "To satisfy censorship regulations, kung-fu films circulated in three versions: the tamest cut went to Malaysia, Thailand and Taiwan; a stronger one was made for Hong Kong; and the bloodiest version went to Europe and North America, where censorship was lenient."
My Amazon Reviews

Masterofoneinchpunch

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:36 pm

Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:Well to be fair many of the MA performers complain today about the newbies as well.

Hardly the most objective critics, then . . . "These kids today, they just don't suffer the way we did, walking to school in a snowstorm, uphill, in bare feet . . . " :mrgreen:

Actually HK was still a bit behind on Europe and North America cinema in dealing with nudity, violence (though really HK cinema was influenced heavily by the chambara cinema in several of these aspects) and adult situations. Bergman had been doing nudity and topics such as abortion since the late 50s. Swedish cinema helped push Europe (which also was ahead of America in those situations, not counting pre-code films of course) and North America to eventually get past the Hays Code (and once it was past it, mainstream nudity and violence kept pushing further and further). But the change through most of the world was happening quite quickly in the cinema of the 60s though.

My own collection of mainstream and "exploitation" films from the era—many of which from the latter category crossed into the mainstream anyways—will certainly attest to this, as will much of the Criterion Collection, of course, with which Shawn is eminently acquainted, the lucky bugger. :D

I'd also posit that Hong Kong's blood and skin quotient in the 60's and 70's was on par with that seen in popular/populist Japanese cinema of the same period and even earlier (i.e. That Which Was Not Kurosawa™), an acknowledged influence on many Hong Kong filmmakers; in fact, it's not unreasonable to argue that Japanese films were ahead of Hong Kong in terms of subject matter and "exploitable" elements by a fair margin, while the latter was generally in line with developments in major cinemas worldwide.

I found this quote from David Bordwell's book Planet Hong Kong interesting: "To satisfy censorship regulations, kung-fu films circulated in three versions: the tamest cut went to Malaysia, Thailand and Taiwan; a stronger one was made for Hong Kong; and the bloodiest version went to Europe and North America, where censorship was lenient."

The characterization of North America as a bubble of puritanism has never been adequately established in contemporary times. Maybe in the 16th and 17th centuries perhaps, or in the heavily and obviously airbrushed reality that dominates whenever people look back upon the American 1950's . . . :lol: Granted, the Right®, as always, seems to have the biggest collective mouth, which invariably reinforces a certain stereotype in the eyes of many at home and abroad. If that bunch would zip it (and lock themselves in their churches), we'd probably be a lot more appreciated for our open-mindedness then and now. :lol:
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Masterofoneinchpunch » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:20 pm

Brian Thibodeau wrote:
Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:Well to be fair many of the MA performers complain today about the newbies as well.

Hardly the most objective critics, then . . . "These kids today, they just don't suffer the way we did, walking to school in a snowstorm, uphill, in bare feet . . . " :mrgreen:
I'd also posit that Hong Kong's blood and skin quotient in the 60's and 70's was on par with that seen in popular/populist Japanese cinema of the same period and even earlier (i.e. That Which Was Not Kurosawa™), an acknowledged influence on many Hong Kong filmmakers; in fact, it's not unreasonable to argue that Japanese films were ahead of Hong Kong in terms of subject matter and "exploitable" elements by a fair margin, while the latter was generally in line with developments in major cinemas worldwide.

It's one thing I see over and over again with many of the interviews of the past MA greats (I occasionally post what they state in the commentaries/supplements thread). I try to stick up for past, present and future cinema regardless, so I try not to be too harsh on newer actors, directors etc... What I find the funniest is when someone loves a particular past (let's say the 60s), makes fun or the older films and states that the newer ones are dross.

I do find it interesting how much Japanese film influenced the Shaw Brothers though using much equipment that was from Europe and America. Here's a great quote from Poshek Fu: "Beginning in the 1950s, the Shaw Brothers began the practice of hiring, on mostly short-term contracts, directors,cinematographers, sound recorders and special effects technicians from Japan ... to improve the standards and efficiency of its studio system and to try to open the Japanese Market." [CHINA FOREVER: 2008]

On a side note there is a nude scene in Red Beard (1965) for Kurosawa :D (operation scene). I believe that was first for Kurosawa (and I don't remember another one in his later films; though the violence could be extreme. And by the 70s it was nice not to see excess rape, violence in a Japanese film.
My Amazon Reviews

Masterofoneinchpunch

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:30 am

Gotta thank Big Lots for most of these items from the past month and a half. Their $3 close-out DVDs of classics from Warner, Universal and others have been an economical way finally watch movies I always wanted to see but which couldn't justify paying $15-20 a pop, and the nearly effortless resale through Amazon Marketplace has often netted a handsome ROI back in Canada on titles I'm not keen on keeping, which in turn helps fuel my HK cravings without draining the bank. :D

Anyways, . . . and some new stuff:

TO LIVE AND DIE IN MONGKOK (2009)
SHORT OF LOVE (2009)
ACCIDENT (2009) 8)
A DECADE OF LOVE (2008)
SEVEN 2 ONE (2009)
VAMPIRE SUPER (2007)
REBELLION (2009)
GIVE LOVE (2009)
252: SIGNAL OF LIFE (2008; Japan; HK edition)

. . . and some older stuff (some seen previously, some not), mostly price-reduced 2-for-1 shelf-sitters at Warden Music & Movie, but hey:

BELOW THE LION ROCK: FROM VIETNAM
BELOW THE LION ROCK: ROAD (+ BRIDGE)
LA LINGERIE (2008)
VAMPIRE SETTLE ON POLICE CAMP (1990)
(one of the first HK movies I ever saw on Toronto's Chinese channel while visiting back in the early 90's; waited this long to finally see the rest of it, I guess)
MAROONED (2000)
FASCINATION AMOUR (1999)
BANANA COP (1984)
PAINTED SKIN (1993)
KILLER 2 (2003)
QUEENIE & KING THE LOVERS (2000)
JUST MARRIED (1995)
GUILTY OR NOT (2000)
(gave this a brief skip-through but will watch in full later -- this is a remake of something, I can feel it. Neither reviewer here mentions anything, but I know this is a knock-off. Gotta think . . . )

Legendary Collection DVDs
SCHOOL ON FIRE (1988)
(nice to upgrade from VCD; too bad the film's the same)
ALL NIGHT LONG (1989)
GONNA GET YOU (1976)
(can't get that catchy theme song out of my head now! :lol: )
AND NOW WHAT IS YOUR NAME (1984)
YOUNG DRAGONS (1975)
CHELSIA MY LOVE (1976)
CONFESSION OF A CONCUBINE (1976)
(Discovered this fleshy period pic has no English subs after I got home, of course.)

. . . and finally, a couple Bearserk will undoubtedly want to borrow from me later on :lol: :
SOMETIMES, MIRACLES DO HAPPEN (1999)
FEARLESS (2007)
Last edited by Brian Thibodeau on Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Thibodeau

Postby dleedlee » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:23 pm

I want to hear about Seven 2 One and To Live and Die in Mongkok!
???? Better to light a candle than curse the darkness; Measure twice, cut once.
Pinyin to Wade-Giles. Cantonese names file
dleedlee
HKMDB Immortal

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:11 pm

dleedlee wrote:I want to hear about Seven 2 One and To Live and Die in Mongkok!

Me too! :(

I swear, if I could just clear out everything in my apartment save for my television, my sofa, my HK movies and some food, I'd be a much more reliable source of reportage. :lol: Of course, that might creep out the neighbours . . .
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Masterofoneinchpunch » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:04 pm

BL = big lots :D
There is lots of Asian films I'll be getting this month. But this is what I've got since my last posting. There is quite a bit OOP. A lot of the Studio Canal licensed movies from Criterion have gone OOP (I am caught up on those releases).

Sam Peckinpah's Legendary Westerns Collection (The Wild Bunch / Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid / Ride the High Country / The Ballad of Cable Hogue)
Happy Times (China) OOP
Ponyo (two-disc blu-ray/DVD Combo)
Warner Bros. Pictures Tough Guys Collection (Bullets or Ballots / City for Conquest / Each Dawn I Die / G Men / San Quentin / A Slight Case of Murder)
Last Holiday (Essential Arthouse) OOP
Gervaise (Essential Arthouse) OOP
Mayerling (Essential Arthouse) OOP
Le Jour se lève (Essential Arthouse) OOP
Coup de torchon (Criterion) OOP
Pierrot le fou (Criterion Blu-ray) OOP
So Close (HK: 2002)
T-Men (1947) Anthony Mann directed film noir.
Gordon Liu: 4 Film Collection
The Tom Hanks Comedy Favorites Collection (The Money Pit / The Burbs / Dragnet) (1989)
Jungle Book 2: OOP
Pajama Party (1964): Can you believe Buster Keaton is in this? OOP?
How To Stuff A Wild Bikini (1965): Can you believe Buster Keaton is in this? Not OOP :D.
Volver (2007: Spain): I've seen one other film from this director TALK TO HER which was outstanding.
Trafic (Criterion: France): OOP
Walt Disney Treasures - Elfego Baca and The Swamp Fox - Legendary Heroes
Walt Disney Treasures - Behind the Scenes at the Walt Disney Studio (1941): I believe OOP.
Walt Disney Treasures: Zorro - The Complete Second Season: Going to be OOP soon.
Man on the Moon (1999) BL
Bitter Victory (1958) BL
The Nude Bomb (1980) BL
The Man Who Wasn’t There (2002) BL
El Norte (Criterion: 1983)
Ong Bak 2 (2008: Thailand): Already seen
Demon Warriors (2008: Thailand)
The Bodyguard / Bodyguard 2 (Thailand)
Chocolate (2008: Thailand): Already seen
Paper Dragons (1996): This has Modesto born Jeremy Renner in it.
Used Cars (1980): Already seen
Here Comes Cookie / Love in Bloom / Six of a Kind (1934): Have seen all three. Six of a Kind has W.C. Fields (and I like Fields).
My Amazon Reviews

Masterofoneinchpunch

Postby Bearserk » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:07 pm

Brian Thibodeau wrote:. . . and finally, a couple Bearserk will undoubtedly want to borrow from me later on :lol: :
SOMETIMES, MIRACLES DO HAPPEN (1999)
FEARLESS (2007)

Several movies in there that I would be interested in borrowing, those two however I will let you keep all to yourself in case you feel the urge to see them more than once, hehe :)
Bearserk
Chief Image Editor

Next

Return to Asian Movies