State of the Site ...

HKMDB.com announcements and news

State of the Site ...

Postby bkasten » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:30 pm

I thought I would update everyone on the site's hosting financials since instituting limited advertising on some of the site's pages about three weeks ago.

It's good news.

While things are still a little bit in flux, I think we are on course to have the current advertising arrangement cover the expenses for hosting.

I am currently running two virtual servers. One acts as the primary system, and one acts as a standby, and a backup to the primary. The combined cost of these two servers is now at ($70USD + $26USD) per month. I am going to be phasing out the current primary system, and switching over to the backup, and then bringing in a new and less expensive backup.

At this point, ad revenue is extrapolating out to anywhere from $45USD to $125USD per month (it varies quite a lot). And while this will just about cover expenses at the low end, it also opens an opportunity to get the site on a fully dedicated server as it ran from 2006-2007. This will give us vastly improved performance. I consider the site's current performance on the virtual severs to be marginally acceptable (and I have no way of purchasing SLA guaranteed I/O from these commodity vendors, so I have no options there).

I will continue to evaluate over the next two or three months on this last issue. If the revenue is there, I will switch the site over.

Nonetheless, it's good news. We are on target for the site's hosting expenses to fund themselves now.

And remember, KEEP CLICKING ON THOSE ADS!!

Bob
bkasten
HKMDB Administrator

Return to Announcements and News