Upcoming changes

HKMDB.com announcements and news

Upcoming changes

Postby bkasten » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:51 pm

A couple of items:

1) I have one contribution from Harlock, and one subscription from Gaijin since last updating the contribution list in July. That's not so good. We are running well behind, and I am starting to have to consider alternatives. When we run behind, I don't turn the site off; I end up paying the bill myself!

2) The first of the "alternatives" under consideration would be a "contribution drive" where I take the site off the air until we reach the necessary commitment level.

3) Another possibility is the use of Google AdSense click-through ads. I have set this up, but I have not yet deployed it. I really want to avoid going from a contribution model or an garbage-ad-driven model, as it makes us lose credibility in my opinion. Again, contact me and let me know your thoughts (if you have not already done so).

4) OK, lastly, some good news, hopefully. After becoming frustrated with our current service provider (who provides our virtual server) I shopped around for a new one and have come up with one that will be potentially faster and definitely cheaper! I'll be moving things over the next week or two and will need some assistance in testing out the new server/site. My hope is that we will get back to the levels of performance I had a few years ago (when I physically hosted the server myself). Again, I invite feedback on this.

5) Site redesign. Yes. I know this is the big one, and I have been working on some prototypes and options again for a site redesign. The idea is to give us a leaner/snappier, completely modern, and overall better looking site. My anticipation is that a changeover to a completely new site with full functionality could take up to 6 months and would require assistance from several of the HKMDB's key contributors. More on this over the next few weeks.

6) Handheld application. I am considering writing a handheld application for HKMDB. The application would be for iphones and android phones, and proceeds could be used to help to fund HKMDB. Some feedback here is welcomed as well.

Still alive and kicking,
Bob
The HKMDB Admin
bkasten
HKMDB Administrator

Re: Upcoming changes

Postby bkasten » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:58 pm

I just wanted to thank everyone for their responses and opinions--some of which were quite lengthy and detailed!

A couple of things came out of those responses:

1) I will try to use advertising for the next few months and see what sort of revenue it generates. That seems to be the majority preference. We are on the order of 1-2 million page impressions per month. So, in theory, that could cover our expenses. We'll see...

2) A number of people asked me to post more details on costs of running the site. There's not a lot of detail, but here it is:
The site currently costs 69.95USD per month for a Debian GNU/Linux VPS (a virtual server with 40GB of disk, 1024MB RAM, and 1000GB of bandwidth per month). Given the current traffic demands, this is a moderate specification for running the HKMDB. (Note that the site requires purchasing a lot of bandwidth, and requires a custom OS because of its use of now-uncommon technologies like Mason and embedded perl.)

3) I have, in the past week, successfully shopped for another cheaper vendor, and will attempt to use a lesser spec. I am currently in the process of migrating the website, and will switch over within 3 weeks. The new virtual server will cost only 29.99USD per month!

4) I have, thus far, received: two heroic $80 contributions from Harlock; an ongoing subscription contribution from Gaijin84; and a $25 contribution from Susan Gordon. If I assume a zero balance, accountingwise, for 2010, we have enough cash to run the site through mid-March, which will be enough time to complete the conversion to the new server, as well as enough to get some ad revenue.

5) Keep in mind that I am not charging back anything for my professional services to run and maintain the server services necessary to run this site. I am doing it for free, and have been doing so since 2003.

6) Additional site developments are still under consideration.

Bob
bkasten
HKMDB Administrator

Return to Announcements and News