Influential action films

Discussions about Hong Kong Movies

Influential action films

Postby KMGor » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:42 am

I've been trying to track down the more influential HK action films in the New Wave and after. Some of these didn't really have lasting impact, but spawned copy cats so I'm listing them. I have a good idea of some the major entries..

Films like:

Long Arm of the Law
Young Master/Drunken Master/Snake in Eagle's Shadow
A Better Tomorrow
The Club
God of Gamblers
A Better Tomorrow
Police Story
Iron Angels
A Chinese Ghost Story
Duel to the Death
Shaolin Soccer
In The Line of Duty series
Saviour of the Soul
Moment of Romance

Any other ideas? I know I'm missing plenty. I've also been trying to come up with some films that showcase the evolution from the old school editing style (emphasizing long takes in kung fu fights, or using similar techniques as American films for gun battles) to the hyper kinetic style that came to be dominant in the 80s - but for the life of me, it seems like it just developed all at once. Thoughts?
KMGor

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:35 am

I've long thought Sammo Hung's PRODIGAL SON was a nice example of a "transitionary" martial arts film.

YOUNG & DANGEROUS was extremely influential. Not an "action" film per se, though it and its followups do contain their fair share.
Brian Thibodeau

Postby cal42 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:44 am

It's all subjective, but personally I'd cite PROJECT A as much more influential than YOUNG MASTER. It's not that I don't like it, but I think it does show a definite progression of the genre.

I'm also not sure of the long lasting impact of IRON ANGELS, which seemed pretty dull to me. But as I say, it's all subjective and I could be missing something.

EDIT: Oh, and yes, PRODIGAL SON is a good call!
Heroes of the East - the only blog in the world with the world famous Lam Suet-o-meter!
cal42

Postby KMGor » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:33 pm

I'd agree on Prodigal Son, thinking back on it.

cal42 wrote:It's all subjective, but personally I'd cite PROJECT A as much more influential than YOUNG MASTER. It's not that I don't like it, but I think it does show a definite progression of the genre.

I'm also not sure of the long lasting impact of IRON ANGELS, which seemed pretty dull to me. But as I say, it's all subjective and I could be missing something.

EDIT: Oh, and yes, PRODIGAL SON is a good call!

I don't think Iron Angels had much lasting impact - just that it helped spawn the Girls With Gun sub-genre.

Project A is older than I was thinking for some reason. I'd have to say it's considerably more modern in feel than Young Master, and closer in structure and style to later action-comedy kung fu films.

I list Young Master as even though Snake in Eagle's Shadow and Drunken Master helped launch the modern style of kung fu comedy, Young Master seems the first to feel modern in its style of comedy with stuntwork. Then again, maybe it's just that I like Young Master a lot more :-P
KMGor

Postby Masterofoneinchpunch » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:39 pm

I also agree on Project A for going towards more modern MA action films (away from old school :)).

I'm not sure on Young Master though (I love the film, but doesn't seem to expand much beyond the Fearless Hyena influence and before).

Encounter of the Spooky Kind (1980) for its influence on the hybrid genre of Hong Kong comedy/kung fu/horror.
My Amazon Reviews

“That’s Icky to Infinity.” – The Tick
Masterofoneinchpunch

Postby cal42 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:43 pm

^ Another good call and pretty damn essential.
Heroes of the East - the only blog in the world with the world famous Lam Suet-o-meter!
cal42

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:51 pm

Though it was hardly the first action/comedy out of Hong Kong, ACES GO PLACES seems to have established a template that was kept in use for many years afterwards.

Tsui Hark's ZU also seems like another likely candidate, though arguably I'm sure.
Brian Thibodeau

Postby KMGor » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:08 pm

I'd agree with you on Aces Go Places. Well, I've only seen one of the sequels, but I assume the original is similar, and it's the oldest in that specific style I'm aware of. The series is also notable for pulling recognizable westerners into HK films, like Richard Kiel.

I'm not sure on Young Master though (I love the film, but doesn't seem to expand much beyond the Fearless Hyena influence and before).

I haven't seen Fearless Hyena. I'll have to grab it I think.

Encounters of the Spooky Kind is another good one (along with We Are Going To Eat You, same sort of deal).

Zu I'd call important if for nothing else for its pioneering (for HK film) use of effects, as well as its use of western technicians. Is it the first to employ significant amounts of Hollywood talent? I'm not aware of anything earlier, though I assume that's probably my ignorance not a lack thereof. I must say I didn't enjoy it much though, thought it bordered on incoherent.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Any more are always welcome.
KMGor

Postby cal42 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:40 pm

KMGor wrote:I'd agree with you on Aces Go Places. Well, I've only seen one of the sequels, but I assume the original is similar, and it's the oldest in that specific style I'm aware of.

It depends on which sequel you saw, but I'd say the original is definitely the best of the series and well worth a look. From memory, it's also the most "action packed" and probably a lot more relevant to your interests.

Going back to your original point, I'd say the one man who seems the most responsible for the hyper kinetic style of the 80's was Sammo. He seemed to be ahead of the game quite a bit.

I was a bit surprised that you mention Young Master for its use of comedy and stuntwork, as I kind of made a similar point with the much maligned Dragon Lord (don't hate me for liking it :P ). To reiterate, although I LOVE Young Master (as my review on this site will testify), if it had never happened I don't think the Hong Kong action film industry would have suffered to any great degree. Same for Dragon Lord, but I do think it was a step towards what would be lovingly known as "80's style action" in later years.
cal42

Postby KMGor » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:44 pm

cal42 wrote:
KMGor wrote:I'd agree with you on Aces Go Places. Well, I've only seen one of the sequels, but I assume the original is similar, and it's the oldest in that specific style I'm aware of.

It depends on which sequel you saw, but I'd say the original is definitely the best of the series and well worth a look. From memory, it's also the most "action packed" and probably a lot more relevant to your interests.

Going back to your original point, I'd say the one man who seems the most responsible for the hyper kinetic style of the 80's was Sammo. He seemed to be ahead of the game quite a bit.

I was a bit surprised that you mention Young Master for its use of comedy and stuntwork, as I kind of made a similar point with the much maligned Dragon Lord (don't hate me for liking it :P ). To reiterate, although I LOVE Young Master (as my review on this site will testify), if it had never happened I don't think the Hong Kong action film industry would have suffered to any great degree. Same for Dragon Lord, but I do think it was a step towards what would be lovingly known as "80's style action" in later years.

I think the one I saw was the Tsui Hark one, the 4th I believe. It was a long time ago.

As far as Young Master... I was thinking wrong. I just watched some fights from it on youtube (so much easier than pulling out the DVD, hah!). It has a few modern touches (some of the comedy seems more modern to me), but it's actually quite old school for 1980 as far as fight sequences go, just extremely well-executed old school. Probably the most lasting bit from it is the bit before the end credits with sequences from the film highlighted - which was wisely altered to the outtake reel in later Jackie efforts. Both are basically nods to the audience.

Haven't seen Dragon Lord, though I've heard of it from the legendary shuttle cock retakes. Maybe I'll pick it up next time I'm ordering some DVDs.
KMGor

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:39 am

cal42 wrote:It depends on which sequel you saw, but I'd say the original is definitely the best of the series and well worth a look. From memory, it's also the most "action packed" and probably a lot more relevant to your interests.

KMGor wrote:I think the one I saw was the Tsui Hark one, the 4th I believe. It was a long time ago.

ACES 1 and 2 are both quintessential Hong Kong action comedies, and near ideal textbook examples of the form and its uniqueness to the industry and culture of the day, though personally I'd give the edge to ACES 2, as it's that rare sequel (anywhere) that knows what worked the first time around and improves and expands upon it without seeming like a rehash. Everything just "clicks" better in it, I guess. ACES 3 is nearly as good as the first two in my book, and certainly benefits from a much wider scale as well as the aforementioned "international" cast (Kiel, and Peter Graves, not to mention the impersonators) and Tsui Hark's visual ingenuity and frantic pace. Part 4, the one KMGor probably saw, was where the series grew its long teeth. Still fun in fits and starts, but fleshing out the characters and their families didn't really seem necessary to me, but by a fourth film in THIS series, what more wackiness could they have dreamt up that hadn't been done in the first three films? Plus, Part 4 gets rather nasty in its second half, with poor Karl Maka hooked up to that torture machine. Part 5 was OK, but the bloom was off the rose by then and it kinda shows onscreen.
Brian Thibodeau

Return to Hong Kong Movies