Postby stooges0 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:15 am

stooges0

Postby doverfund » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:08 pm

i agree
doverfund

Re: old classic movies

Postby stooges0 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:09 pm

sorry, somehow the message got wiped out

the message was it would be nice to see all old classic movies being remastered before it is brought out onto dvd this not only save history and let the next generation know that hk had many good actor/actress in the 1900 it also give fans a treat and they probably will sell more dvd if they remaster them 1st like the sb movies. Many people don't buy the old classic movie because manufacturer let the bad quality stay and at the high $ they charge for it people gets disappointed

HK government should put up grant to support and help preserve this subject it is history.
stooges0

Postby cal42 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:48 pm

Couldn't agree more, but I don't think it's likely on the whole. I kind of get the impression that it's only westerners who are interested in the preservation of these old movies.

I am constantly baffling my Chinese friend by watching "old movies" - movies made as little as three years ago. Anything over ten years old is considered ancient and not worthy of comment. I once explained about Alfred Hitchcock, who he'd never heard of. I showed him the shower scene from Psycho, and he just couldn't understand why someone would want to watch a black and white movie that was so old. He doesn't seem to be the only one, either, sadly. I think this attitude is quite common.

As part of the cultural exchange, I also showed him modern classic English popular music (Radiohead). He just said they looked old, which is worrying as they're not much older than me :( .
Heroes of the East - the only blog in the world with the world famous Lam Suet-o-meter!
cal42

Postby Masterofoneinchpunch » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:14 pm

cal42 wrote:Couldn't agree more, but I don't think it's likely on the whole. I kind of get the impression that it's only westerners who are interested in the preservation of these old movies.

I am constantly baffling my Chinese friend by watching "old movies" - movies made as little as three years ago. Anything over ten years old is considered ancient and not worthy of comment. I once explained about Alfred Hitchcock, who he'd never heard of. I showed him the shower scene from Psycho, and he just couldn't understand why someone would want to watch a black and white movie that was so old. He doesn't seem to be the only one, either, sadly. I think this attitude is quite common.

I also agree. I have trouble pushing black and white on people here in the states too (unless they are older than 50 and/or have great movie knowledge). Luckily there are always a few (regardless of age) that like Cinema in general.

Casual movie conversation with people also drives me batty. I remember one check out teller who spoke French was discussing how Amelie (2001) was her favorite film. I asked what did she think of Truffaut or Godard and her reply (after I then explained who they were and their time period) that she did not like old movies.

Now try getting people to watch silent film :D.
My Amazon Reviews

“That’s Icky to Infinity.” – The Tick
Masterofoneinchpunch

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:16 am

I think in Hong Kong, and for people from Hong Kong, everything is so five minutes ago . . . :D
Brian Thibodeau

Return to Hong Kong Movies