More Alfred Cheung Kin-Ting movies like 'No Problem'?

Discussions about Hong Kong Movies

More Alfred Cheung Kin-Ting movies like 'No Problem'?

Postby wblaik » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:28 pm

Hi,

Just rewatched the excellent No Problem. It really has to be one of my favorite HK movies. Can you guys suggest any other Alfred Cheung films that might have the same kind of natural feeling, warmth, and charm this film possess? :)
wblaik

Postby Taijikid » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:18 pm

I have watched only two movies directed by Alfred Cheung, and I thoroughly enjoyed them both. The first installment of Her Fatal Ways was charming, and Carol Cheng was wonderfully innocent as the mainland police inspector baffled by the western ways of Hong Kong. I believe she won a HK film award for her performance. Although it is not a comedy and therefore may not be up your alley, On the Run is one of the best action movies in my collection and is definitely worth your time. Once again there is a very strong central female performance, this time by Patricia Ha. I can give both movies my strongest recommendation.
Taijikid

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:05 pm

I'd strongly second HER FATAL WAYS as great Alfred Cheung material (Do Do Cheng's repulsion with/temptation by mascara is a great gag). ON THE RUN is much darker, but also a very strong piece of work with believable relationships.

Although our one reviewer here found it a mixed bag, I think THE GROUP has much to recommend it, particularly the convincing relationships Cheung draws amongst a group of former orphans who plot a robbery in honour of the kindly priest who raised them. Some nice moments of subtle but sharp humour and a few good action bits, too.

One to avoid, in my opinion, is THE EXTRA, a rather self-indulgently banal 'insider' comedy that probably seemed funny only to the people who made it.

Brian Thibodeau

Postby wblaik » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:03 am

Thanks for the advice guys. I have seen On The Run/Paper Marriage/To Err is Humane and although the first 2 are great classic HK stuff, I was really impressed with the sensitivity of MMT. It's really nice to see this kind of natural film I'd expect to see in European cinema more. Is it harsh to say it's quite rare for HK cinema as a whole?
wblaik

Return to Hong Kong Movies