Jaman's Hong Kong Drama Festival

Discussions about Hong Kong Movies

Jaman's Hong Kong Drama Festival

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:21 am

Just got notification of this today. Looks like Jaman is finally adding more Hong Kong stuff to their catalogue via Fortune Star. Most of it will be familiar to a lot of folks here, but for those who are keen, the titles are pretty good (at least the ones so far)

http://www.jaman.com/a/download/?f=fortune-star

Brian Thibodeau

Postby Chungking_Cash » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:17 pm

"The Private Eyes" is one of a handful of popular Hong Kong films I have always wanted to see, but alas, never have. I just might give this a whirl unless people begin falling over one another to prevent me from signing up for the service.

I doubt, however, that Jaman will be picking-up some of the other titles on my list ("Dragon Gate Inn," "A Moment of Romance," "God of Gamblers' Return," "Young and Dangerous").
Chungking_Cash

Postby cal42 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:14 pm

All of the Hui Brothers films should be approached with caution as, like 90% of all comedies, they have aged a bit. It's been a while since I've watched Private Eyes (keep meaning to re-watch it!) but I was left feeling that it didn't live up to expectations. I would say that Security Unlimited (also included in that) is the one that holds up the best. I re-watched it the other week as it happens and have put up a review.
Heroes of the East - the only blog in the world with the world famous Lam Suet-o-meter!
cal42

Postby Chungking_Cash » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:58 pm

All of the Hui Brothers films should be approached with caution as, like 90% of all comedies, they have aged a bit.

Tell me about it. I have "Games Gamblers Play" on VCD. I picked it up primarily because it was the film that acted as the spring board for the Hui Bros. franchise. I don't remember laughing much though. Unfortunately, I think that has more to do with my very limited knowledge of Cantonese and less to do with the filmmakers' talent for comedy a la my hit-or-miss affection for Stephen Chow.

It's been a while since I've watched Private Eyes (keep meaning to re-watch it!) but I was left feeling that it didn't live up to expectations. I would say that Security Unlimited (also included in that) is the one that holds up the best. I re-watched it the other week as it happens and have put up a review.

I've looked at "The Private Eyes" trailer twice and laughed both times which is asinine once you've sat through the entire film, but until then...
Chungking_Cash

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:18 am

Chungking_Cash wrote:"The Private Eyes" is one of a handful of popular Hong Kong films I have always wanted to see, but alas, never have. I just might give this a whirl unless people begin falling over one another to prevent me from signing up for the service.

I don't know if anyone else here has bothered with the service yet, as a lot of the films there are (or were) available on DVD, VCD, etc., but since I'm the one who keeps mentioning it around here, I have to say I've had no troubles with it. Got my three freebies, and get the email updates, but no pressures or technical glitches at all so far. Downloads take about an hour at high speed, which is reasonable considering the size. Rental download prices are about $2 US which is fair for some of the decent stuff they do carry. I wouldn't rule out your other faves turning up there someday either. That deal with Fortune Star may be rather limited at this point, but it's a sign they're at least moving to add more HK cinema to their catalogue, and a lot of those titles you mention might be nearing the end of their usefulness on DVD and it remains to be seen just how much will make (or withstand!) the transition to Blu-Ray, so downloading services might be a more viable alternative for even some Hong Kong "classics." Guess we'll see. . .

Brian Thibodeau

Return to Hong Kong Movies