49 and 428 in "Sexy and Dangerous"

Discussions about Hong Kong Movies

49 and 428 in "Sexy and Dangerous"

Postby ewaffle » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:13 am

In "Sexy and Dangerous" George is played by Francis Ng. He is identified with the number 49 and sometimes characterized by it--wearing a jersey with that number on it in one scene for example.

At the end of the movie he is being led to an ambulance and notices that the license number is "426" and comforted by that. He says that only government vehicles have such good numbers.

Is this one of those instances in which the number in Cantonese is a homonym for something important--life, death, taxes, etc?
ewaffle

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:05 am

"49'ers" are the lowest ranking triad members. A "426" is the top fighter (assuming the number in your question, and not the "428" in your thread title, is the correct one).

Here's some more info on triad "numbers," taken from the footnotes in this article (always wondered if bookmarking stuff like this would ever come in handy :lol: ):
http://www.primetimecrime.com/Articles/ ... ge%202.htm
;)

"5. All triad societies display some degree of hierarchy, and a typical triad has members organized by rank. Each rank carries a title and a numerical value, based on triad ritual. The leader of a triad is known as the "Dragon Head' or the Mountain Lord, and carries the rank "489." Other "office bearer" positions include the deputy head of a branch also known as Assistant Mountain Lord, who carries the rank "438". This rank goes as well to the Vanguard and Incense Master, both of whom officiate at ceremonies. The White Paper Fan, who holds the rank "415", is the advisor on administration, finance and organization of the branch. The Red Pole, who holds the rank "426", is the head fighter and battle strategist. The Straw Sandal, holding the rank "432", is responsible for organizing battle and meeting with other societies. He also delivers demand notes when necessary, for ransom or protection money. All other triad members are know as ordinary members or soldiers, and hold the rank of "49"
Brian Thibodeau

Postby ewaffle » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:58 am

Thank you--the simple but in this case slightly hidden to Western viewers (at least this Western viewer) answer and one that was on this site all along.

:oops:
I knew I had seen the 49 reference somewhere and if I had paid a bit more attention to Mr. Blue's review the first time I read it:
the weaselly George, who wears his "49" shirt (the number signifies the lowest rank in Triad society)
I would have figured it out.

I would imagine there are very few references, if any, that would sneak through the very fine sieve applied to HK movies here.
ewaffle

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:19 pm

Well, now when you submit your own review, you can reference the "426" and make us look even more hip! :D
Brian Thibodeau

Return to Hong Kong Movies