Is that Joey Wong in Naked Poison 2?

Discussions about Hong Kong Movies

Is that Joey Wong in Naked Poison 2?

Postby Simon Yam » Tue May 29, 2007 10:07 pm

Hey guys,

Simon Yam here. Well not really. I recently bought Naked Poison 2 because I was under the impression the lovely Joey Wong was in it (briefly). Since I doubt she would appear in a cheap exploitation movie like this, I'm hoping some of you could confirm it's really her (or not). She's credited in the opening credits and on the DVD cover. Here are two screenshots I made:

Image Image

Is that her??
"Officer Cheung, your penis is over."
Simon Yam

Postby Young Master » Tue May 29, 2007 10:42 pm

The name in the credits belongs to Ruby Wong, I can see she's having a "Joey Wong"-alias in the database.

I don't know who's in your screenshots though, but it's not Joey Wong.
Your Kung-Fu just not any good...
Young Master

Postby Bearserk » Wed May 30, 2007 2:59 am

That would be Co Co Chow Ka-Yu if I'm not mistaken :)
Bearserk
Chief Image Editor

Postby Simon Yam » Wed May 30, 2007 10:35 am

Thanks for clearing this up, it was driving me nuts :) I would have looked it up in the database, but I have no permission unfortunately.
"Officer Cheung, your penis is over."
Simon Yam

Postby Mike Thomason » Wed May 30, 2007 1:32 pm

Yes, that's definitely Coco Chow. The "famous" Joey Wong hasn't really made a movie since Yonfan's Peony Pavilion some years ago -- there was another film more recently, but it was a bit of a flop and Ms Wong (apparently) gracefully bowed out of films, again.

I can see where the confusion may have come from though: low budget/exploitation actress Wong Cho Yi (or Wong Jo Ngai, if you like) alternately goes by the English names Ruby and Joey -- which gives her an English name very similar to two much more high profile, and famous, stars. Ironically, none of them seem to be doing much of anything anymore... :P
Mike Thomason

Postby dleedlee » Wed May 30, 2007 7:30 pm

Mike Thomason wrote:Yes, that's definitely Coco Chow. The "famous" Joey Wong hasn't really made a movie since Yonfan's Peony Pavilion some years ago -- there was another film more recently, but it was a bit of a flop and Ms Wong (apparently) gracefully bowed out of films, again.

You're probably referring to Shanghai Story, quite a good film, actually. But like many mainland films, it's not widely distributed. I caught it at the local filmfest a few years back. Joey Wang still looks marvellous by the way (and particularly fetching in suede thigh-high boots) and gives a fine performace . Josephine Koo is also featured in the cast. I've been waiting for a subbed DVD so I can rewatch it but, so far, none on the horizon. The film is part of Peng Xiaolian's so-called Shanghai trilogy, the middle film after Shanghai Story and followed by Shanghai Rhumba, neither, to my knowledge, available on subbed video. :cry:
???? Better to light a candle than curse the darkness; Measure twice, cut once.
Pinyin to Wade-Giles. Cantonese names file
dleedlee
HKMDB Immortal

Return to Hong Kong Movies