Wing Artist: DVD question

Discussions about Hong Kong Movies

Wing Artist: DVD question

Postby Mike Thomason » Sun May 13, 2007 2:18 pm

Has anyone bought any of the following Wing Artists DVDs?

Amazing Stories
Angel Delight
Devil Angel
Fatal Termination
Master Of Zen
Part Time Lady
Le Peintre
Vampire Family
Witchcraft Vs Curse

I'm curious how the quality of these discs are? I've read conflicting feedback on them, but most appear to be video-master sourced and/or fullscreen with original theatrical subtitles. As most of them are pretty trashy films anyway (apart from Master of Zen and Le Peintre) I guess the quality issue is largely moot, but I'm still curious nonetheless -- as, if it weren't for Wing Artists, a lot of this low-grade program-filler rubbish probably wouldn't have seen the light of day on DVD (and I'm sure source materials are probably only limited to video masters now anyway). But it's a bit of harmless fun to revisit crap sometimes regardless...especially when online HK retailers throw them in the discount bins! :wink:
Mike Thomason

Postby Bearserk » Sun May 13, 2007 3:18 pm

Low-grade........ Crap....... :shock: these are art my friend, pure art ;)

Took a few quick screenshots from 3 of them, quality differs, and can't exactly be called great, but it's watchable :)

Angel Delight
ImageImage

Devil Angel
ImageImage

Part Time Lady
ImageImage
Bearserk
Chief Image Editor

Postby Mike Thomason » Sun May 13, 2007 3:33 pm

Bearserk wrote:Low-grade........ Crap....... :shock: these are art my friend, pure art ;)

Took a few quick screenshots from 3 of them, quality differs, and can't exactly be called great, but it's watchable :)

Thanks, champ! :D

At least you've confirmed for me that Angel Delight is letterboxed, whew! I saw the film in cinemas originally (uncut, no less, even though our censorship board had requested the removal of the rape scene; Chinese language cinemas in Oz seldom did what they were told when it came to censorship here -- which is probably why most of them eventually closed down) and saw it later again on fullscreen VHS through my local TVB outlet.

Agreed -- watchable indeed, and marginally better than VCD at least. They all look Betacam-video master sourced, but seeing the image on a PC screen isn't always indicative of how a film will look on a "proper" display (as computers tend to over exaggerate deficiencies in the image due to their very nature alone). I'll probably pick most of these up now, as I can live with the image quality if this is how they are.

Admittedly, I don't view any of these titles as "art" (and I know a lend was being had), but they are affectionate memories of the past when I used to frequent both of Perth's Chinese language cinemas, twice a week, for a twin set of double (sometimes triple) features. There was lots of low-rent program-fillers back then, and like any cult movie enthusiast I like to wind back the clock every now and then for a laugh... :wink:

Thanks kindly for the screenshots!
Mike Thomason

Postby MrBooth » Mon May 14, 2007 4:55 am

Fatal Termination is another VHS-style release - watchable if you really want to.
MrBooth
HKMDB Immortal

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Mon May 14, 2007 5:55 am

Fatal Termination is another VHS-style release - watchable if you really want to.

I will rue the day I ever sold my widescreen laserdisc for this without making a back-up DVD! :evil: Stupid stupid stupid!! And I have to side with Bearserk (naturally!) on some of these: they're not quite crap.:lol: OK, maybe not high art, but the worth of some of these titles, and especially this one, could be easily defended, and most are certainly worthy of better treatment than Wing Artist has given them. And, just to make sure I stay on topic, I do recall reading that FATAL was indeed full frame to boot. Shudder. But alas, I suppose we should be grateful to have 'em at all. :?
Brian Thibodeau

Return to Hong Kong Movies