Last Hurrah For Chivalry

Discussions about Hong Kong Movies

Last Hurrah For Chivalry

Postby Kwai-Tjai » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:36 am

Although available through other companies, Hong Kong Legends released this title too. It comes with the original Cantonese soundtrack with removable English or Dutch subs and in its original aspect ratio 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen.

Below is a link to the original trailer.

[url]http://www.shaolinchamber.com/video_files/TRAILERS/last_hurrah_for_chivalry-export_trailer.wmv

Image[/url]
Kwai-Tjai

Postby KMGor » Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:15 pm

I hear the one character in Last Hurrah is the basis for Chow Yun-Fat's character in A Better Tomorrow. Is that right?

And I think I'll have to import this. Been wanting to see it for a while, and I'm happy to support HKL.
KMGor

Postby Beat TG » Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:48 pm

I hear the one character in Last Hurrah is the basis for Chow Yun-Fat's character in A Better Tomorrow. Is that right?

That's absolutely true.

I suggest you wait for the DD DVD instead.
Beat TG

Postby cal42 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:32 am

I watched the first 20 mins of this and had to switch off - it really wasn't my cup of tea. Can't fault the disc, though - or HKL for that matter. What's going to be on the DD DVD?
Heroes of the East - the only blog in the world with the world famous Lam Suet-o-meter!
cal42

Postby Masterofoneinchpunch » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:53 pm

KMGor wrote:I hear the one character in Last Hurrah is the basis for Chow Yun-Fat's character in A Better Tomorrow. Is that right?

I'm looking forward to this too (a good copy), but Woo (he's a huge Melville fan) has stated that a lot of that character (Chow Yun-Fat) was based on Delon in Le Samourai:

"I based Chow Yun-fat's performance, his style, his look, even the way he walked on Delon in Le samourai. " -- John Woo (Cahiers du cinema 1996)
My Amazon Reviews

“That’s Icky to Infinity.” – The Tick
Masterofoneinchpunch

Postby KMGor » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:40 pm

Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:
KMGor wrote:I hear the one character in Last Hurrah is the basis for Chow Yun-Fat's character in A Better Tomorrow. Is that right?

I'm looking forward to this too (a good copy), but Woo (he's a huge Melville fan) has stated that a lot of that character (Chow Yun-Fat) was based on Delon in Le Samourai:

"I based Chow Yun-fat's performance, his style, his look, even the way he walked on Delon in Le samourai. " -- John Woo (Cahiers du cinema 1996)

I think he mostly means Jeff from the Killer, not so much Mark Gor from A Better Tomorrow. Well, there's some in both, but it's much more obvious in the Killer.

Any fan of the Killer should see Le Samourai. Worth seeing in its own right, but you can see a lot of visual stuff from the Killer in it.
KMGor

Postby Masterofoneinchpunch » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:59 pm

Definitely agree about The Killer being more obvious :-D

Here are some more quotes from that article that is reprinted in the liner notes of Criterion version of Le Samourai.

"I've always tried to imitate Melville. Even in my first film, The Young Dragon."

Here's a couple of quotes about the Killer/Melville comparison from John Woo:

"I would say that The Killer is the one that stands out as the most 'Melvillian'."

"...during the promotion of The Killer, I remember talking to the press and saying that the film was a tribute to Melville."
My Amazon Reviews

“That’s Icky to Infinity.” – The Tick
Masterofoneinchpunch

Postby Taijikid » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:01 am

I love Last Hurrah for Chivalry and its breath-taking depiction of weapons-fu without the aid of stunt contraptions and altered film speed, but I am puzzled by the assertion that ABT's Mark is based on one of its characters. Are we talking about Damian Lau's drunken swordsman, perhaps?
Taijikid

Return to Hong Kong Movies