Hong Kong Film Awards

Discussions about Hong Kong Movies

Hong Kong Film Awards

Postby steve_cole1 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:07 pm

I had to laugh when i saw the nominees for Best Actor I saw Lau Ching Wan Chow Yun Fat leung chu wai and then i saw Arron Kwok how the **** could he be in the same league as the ones mentioned and if he wins the other well known actors might as well retire to be beaten by one of the worst actors ive seen(this is only going on the films ive seen with him in) but in fairness i havent seen the nominated film so i could be horribly wrong but i thought it was funny
Also how does the exiled soundtrack not get nominated that was awesome?
Also how does Battle of Wits get a nomination for best visual effects when the CG was done on a PC in the stone age ?
steve_cole1

Postby dleedlee » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:21 pm

I haven't see After This Our Exile yet either but Aaron did win Best Actor at Taiwan's Golden Horse Awards. Here's the field from Taiwan:

Best Leading Actor   
Sam LEE Dog Bite Dog (Hong Kong)   
Francis NG Wo Hu (Hong Kong)   
KWOK Fu Shing - winner After This Our Exile (Hong Kong)   
CHANG Chen The Go Master (China)
???? Better to light a candle than curse the darkness; Measure twice, cut once.
Pinyin to Wade-Giles. Cantonese names file
dleedlee
HKMDB Immortal

Postby MrBooth » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:04 am

Aaron Kwok has improved a lot lately (though I never thought he was as bad as other people seemed to!)
MrBooth
HKMDB Immortal

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:00 am

(though I never thought he was as bad as other people seemed to!)

I'm with you on this one. I've seen plenty of Kwok's movies and I've yet to find enough reasons to hate his work as some viewers have seemed to. His choice of projects in the past, on the other hand, have too often erred on the safe side to better exploit him to his teen-girl fan base—PARA PARA SAKURA comes to mind right away—but again, playing to your primary audience shouldn't automatically earn you vilification for it. Doing it too often, as Kwok seemed to in the 90's, can be wearying to an uninitiated viewer, though, so I can kind of understand WHY some people might react harshly, but I also think they tend to overreact when it comes to Aaron Kwok.

Dude's not a bad singer, either. The dancing and costumes, though? Well, whattayagonnado? :roll:
Brian Thibodeau

Postby steve_cole1 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:04 pm

my only experience of him is 2000AD and China Strike Force so maybe im being harsh but cant see him as a serious actor or in the same league as the others nominated but he must of been bloody great in that film or there has been so many bad performances this year in hk film which i doubt.
steve_cole1

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:30 pm

In fairness to Kwok, 2000AD and CHINA STRIKE FORCE are both in league with the kinds of films I'm talking about in my previous post: bubblegum fare aimed at the choir, despite their techno-trappings and American rap artistes :lol:. Neither film would have stretched the capabilities of any actor had they taken Kwok's parts, though certainly other actors may have found room to improvise while Kwok plays it relatively safe in both films.

I'd agree that he's not the greatest actor around, but he's far from the worst (come join me in the land of Hong Kong DV B-movies to see that action), and since he's one of many "triple threats" in the HK entertainment industry who sing, dance and act—like Leon Lai, Andy Lau, Jacky Cheung, and countless actresses (all of whom have done tolerably sub-par film work at various points in their careers—I'm willing to cut him some slack that I probably wouldn't cut for actors like Lau Ching-wan, Simon Yam, the Tony Leungs, and others who generally don't have popular mega-watt musical careers to keep them from honing their craft.

I've also heard good things about AFTER THIS OUR EXILE. I ordered it recently, but haven't had time to watch it yet. I've actually been a long-time fan of Charlie Yeung, so getting this one was a no-brainer, anyway.
Brian Thibodeau

Return to Hong Kong Movies