Flashpoint (City With No Mercy) - making of!!!

Discussions about Hong Kong Movies

Flashpoint (City With No Mercy) - making of!!!

Postby Beat TG » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:29 pm

Last edited by Beat TG on Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Beat TG

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:13 pm

Nice. 8)

When a behind-the-scenes video, shot WITHOUT a lot of editing and/or camera tricks or slick cinematography, looks as exciting as it does in that clip, it's tough NOT to be stoked. I can only hope that this might turn up at the Toronto Film Fest this fall. Since fest organizer Colin Geddes seems to have disappeared from these boards almost as soon as he'd arrived, perhaps that means he's scouting out some new goodies for midnight madness.
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Gaijin84 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:16 pm

That looks absolutely great. Hard not to notice once again the impact Tony Jaa, Ong Bak and the recent popularity of MMA has had on Donnie. Much more of a brutal type of action film. Those stunt men are unreal!
Gaijin84
HKMDB Immortal

Postby Beat TG » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:35 pm

Well, at least Donnie is putting out new stuff for each new movie. That's not the case for Jaa has does the same thing almost the whole time.
Beat TG

Postby Gaijin84 » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:49 pm

Well, at least Donnie is putting out new stuff for each new movie. That's not the case for Jaa has does the same thing almost the whole time.

True, but to be fair, that's really only 2 films and I don't think he had quite as much creative control over the film as Donnie does. I'll give Jaa a few more chances before I pigeonhole him. 8)
Gaijin84
HKMDB Immortal

Postby chiangkamfan » Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:09 pm

Gaijin84 wrote:

True, but to be fair, that's really only 2 films and I don't think he had quite as much creative control over the film as Donnie does. I'll give Jaa a few more chances before I pigeonhole him. 8)

if you didn´t already see other movies with tony jaa,check out the trailers on youtube.it´s really always the same :|
chiangkamfan

Postby Gaijin84 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:55 pm

if you didn´t already see other movies with tony jaa,check out the trailers on youtube.it´s really always the same

The only other videos I found are those scenes from "Spirited Killer," in which he had a relatively small role. I think if someone is to blame for the similarity of the action in Jaa's movies, it's probably Panna Rittikrai. He's been the action director for the two big releases as well as Spirited Killer. If Ong Bak 2 (or whatever the final title will be) turns out to be the same type of action and martial arts, then I'll agree with you in that Jaa is a one-trick pony.

Don't get me wrong, Donnie Yen is fantastic and City With No Mercy looks incredible, just looking for influences and the path action films are taking in the future... :)
Gaijin84
HKMDB Immortal

Postby Beat TG » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:48 pm

True, but to be fair, that's really only 2 films and I don't think he had quite as much creative control over the film as Donnie does. I'll give Jaa a few more chances before I pigeonhole him.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really glad Tony Jaa emerged into the scene after the decline of HK action movies, it's a good thing Donnie took notice and look what he and Wilson Yip have accomplished... a new trend. The thing that annoys me about Jaa though is that most people around the world are praising him WAY TOO much which is nice but too exaggerating. Two movies aren't enough so yeah he should do more new stuff in order to earn that particular respect and praise.
Beat TG

Postby chiangkamfan » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:23 pm

i think the same,i don´t want to run down tony jaa,i like his movies,but my opinion is his skills aren´t enough to call him "the ultimate action star" or "the new jackie chan" like many people do.

here´s a trailer from his next movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS5eCNWjAOY
chiangkamfan

Postby Gaijin84 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:15 pm

I totally agree - Jaa is not in the same realm as Jackie Chan at this point and he has a long way to go to even get close. I do think he was a breath of fresh air though. I hope he continues to innovate and bring new things to the table.

BTW, that's not Tony Jaa in that film, it's Dan Chupong from Born to Fight. Here is more info on it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamite_Warrior
Gaijin84
HKMDB Immortal

Postby chiangkamfan » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:20 pm

Gaijin84 wrote:I totally agree - Jaa is not in the same realm as Jackie Chan at this point and he has a long way to go to even get close. I do think he was a breath of fresh air though. I hope he continues to innovate and bring new things to the table.

BTW, that's not Tony Jaa in that film, it's Dan Chupong from Born to Fight. Here is more info on it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamite_Warrior

:oops: sorry, got this link from a german forum
i didn´t realize that it´s not tony jaa :?

thanks for the clarification 8)

I hope he continues to innovate and bring new things to the table.

i hope so

http://www.tonyjaa.org/film_sword.shtml
chiangkamfan

Postby chiangkamfan » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:11 am

more informations about flashpoint

http://www.wu-jing.org/News.php
chiangkamfan

Preview!!!

Postby Beat TG » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Here's a preview of the movie (taken from the press conference):

http://www.donnieyen.net/htm/gnnews/20070321531.htm

DAMN!!! :shock:
Beat TG

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:38 am

Lookin' cool...8)

I assume FLASH POINT is the official title of this now, judging from the gigantic wall mural in that footage? Perhaps its time for a title/alternate title switch in the database for this one.
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Gaijin84 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:46 am

Agreed... I've made that switch
Gaijin84
HKMDB Immortal

Postby Beat TG » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:59 am

Brian Thibodeau wrote:I assume FLASH POINT is the official title of this now

The Cantonese title has also been changed. It's now called Dao huo xi (means Fuse literally) instead of Po Jun.
Beat TG

Postby Gaijin84 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:09 pm

Switched
Gaijin84
HKMDB Immortal

Postby Beat TG » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:11 pm

Here's the preview in much better quality: mms://vod.tom.com/ent/200703/70322daohx.wmv
Beat TG

Return to Hong Kong Movies