Twins Mission (and Contemporary HK Cinema discussion)

Discussions about Hong Kong Movies

Postby Contrai » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:24 pm

I don't think he nailed it, coz a LOT of the arguments are just dull.
The people should change their taste, and then the movies are fine ?!? Thats silly.
It wasn't me bemoaning the old days are gone and the folks are away and praising Phillip Ko - gosh, i like his movies, but has nothing to do with the recent situation. And i mentioned the april starters, with Super Fans being the most compromising ! I wouldn't even talk about that some yrs ago.
Still i'm spending my money on the contemporay products. Watched Bet to Basic, Dating a Vampire, Don't Open Your Eyes and so on.
Out of hope and curiosity.

Anyway, good luck with KF Mahjong 3.
Contrai

Postby Mike Thomason » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:59 pm

Contrai wrote:I don't think he nailed it, coz a LOT of the arguments are just dull.

That's funny, isn't it? Likewise I found your condescending response "dull" too, and exactly the kind of thing I have come to expect. "Dull" to me is putting forth a denigrating statement like "being overly euphemistic, see things through rose-colored glasses and talking about crap" in response to the suggestion that there is an ideology out there that dictates since Hong Kong isn't making the kinds of and/or genre depth of product that overseas fans want to see anymore that their industry is in some kind of regression or decline. You can say whatever you like about what you do with "your money", but it seems apparent from the genre-centric titles that you've cited that I spend far more money on contemporary Hong Kong cinema than you do. But then, I don't limit myself to select genres and am more interested in seeing a wider depth of product from the region -- accordingly, we diverge in tastes and interests (and, obviously, expenditure as well). But to interject into the middle of a discussion with a fistful of negative verbiage, seemingly because someone has stated a difference of opinion that is an affront to your train of thought, is quite frankly dull as dishwater to me.

Contrai wrote:The people should change their taste, and then the movies are fine ?!? Thats silly.

I do believe that I said no such thing anywhere in any of my posts -- so obviously you must have been reading deeper than I was writing and looking for hidden meaning between the lines where there was none. To repeat myself: the marketplace in Hong Kong has changed as far as its brand of cinema goes and you, as a foreign viewer, either have to accept that, or you don't. Doesn't really matter which way you adopt what is happening in Hong Kong to its film industry -- it only means as a foreign follower of the industry you will either invest more or less of your money in sourcing the films as they're released onto digital mediums, that's all. You obviously have your interests, and people here have theirs -- but I don't see any of the regulars here using their own interest specific thoughts and opinions as justification to denigrate others for holding differing viewpoints, or as a platform for thinly veiled condescension and sarcasm.
Mike Thomason

Postby bkasten » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:27 pm

I am going to lock this thread for a while.

Let's move on...
bkasten
Administrator

Previous

Return to Hong Kong Movies