The Mission sequel: Exiled

Discussions about Hong Kong Movies

The Mission sequel: Exiled

Postby j.crawford » Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:11 am

Check it out!

http://www.mediaasia.com/eng/film_detai ... n=-2-&no=0

:evil: Sorry! this link has gone bad.
Last edited by j.crawford on Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
j.crawford
HKMDB Editor

Postby MrBooth » Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:24 am

MrBooth
HKMDB Immortal

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:32 pm

Funny, the press release snubs Roy Cheung and Lam Suet, who are both shown in the photos. It also doesn't mention whether Jackie Lui, who's not in the photos, will be repriging his role as the fifth member of the group (and whose character seems to figure prominently in that story synopsis linked in Simon's post! Surely it would't be the same without him...
Brian Thibodeau

Postby ewaffle » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:14 am

Excellent news. "The Mission" looked and sounded great, a very elegant movie. Should be a lot of fun to see the old pros and the (relatively) new pros get together again.
ewaffle

Postby Chinoco » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:55 am

Is Simon Yam in this movie?
Chinoco

Postby Chinoco » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:36 am

Well, to answer my own question- SEVEN MONTHS LATER :lol: .... YES, Simon IS in the film... I saw it in the trailer- which you can see as well.... I posted the link for the trailer in a seperate topic.

Once problem- this does NOT appear to be a sequel to the Mission AT ALL :x. Looks like the guys are playing entirely new characters. Watch the trailer and let me know what you think.
Chinoco

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:10 am

You're correct in assuming this isn't a sequel. These are definitely different characters, though they could just as easily have been the characters from THE MISSION considering the thematic similarities. And Simon Yam is amazing in this movie, so full of smarm and (largely justified) hatred towards Nick Cheung's character in particular and just about everyone else in general.

Very mild spoiler below, but it won't ruin the movie, I promise!

In typical Johnnie To fashion, one extended gunfight in a restauarnt (partly shown in the trailer at the movie's website) results in two major characters getting rather nasty wounds. One of the wounded men is driven to an "underground" medical clinic based in the doctor's apartment. Moments later, the other wounded guy, Simon, is brought to the same clinic and demands preferential treatment without realizing that the patient on the gurney he just pushed across the room is actually a guy he's wanted dead for ages, and that guy's pals are strategically hiding throughout the apartment, where another gunfight is about to explode while Simon's getting some stitchwork done to some very sensitive areas. ;)

And then there's this hooker that the doctor was schtupping just before everyone came in...gotta keep your eye on that one!
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Chinoco » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:50 am

Thanks for the info man- can't wait to see this one!!! :)

I am a little disapointed that it isn't a TRUE sequel to the Mission... THAT would have been amazing!
Chinoco

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:28 am

Well, you could pretend it's a sequel! :lol: The similarities are striking...
Brian Thibodeau

Return to Hong Kong Movies