Red Trousers DVD

Discussions about Hong Kong Movies

Red Trousers DVD

Postby Gaijin84 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:24 pm

Although not a Hong Kong movie that can be put in the database, parts of it are quite interesting. The first disc consists of Robin Shou (Mortal Kombat) interviewing some established stuntmen like Ridley Tsui Bo-Wah(as the movie is supposed to be a documentary on the Hong Kong stunt industry) in short quips, but a lot of it seems to be a vehicle to promote a Shou film that came out years before called "Lost Time."
The real gem of the DVD is the second "Bonus Disc" which has extended interviews with Sammo Hung, Liu Chia Liang and aspiring child actors and actresses from mainland martial arts and acting schools. The dedication and pressure these kids are under to succeed are extraordinary and moving.
Recommended to fast forward to best parts of the first disc, but definitely watch the bonus disc in its entirety.
Gaijin84
HKMDB Immortal

Postby Bearserk » Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:06 pm

Seemed interesting enough, especially the second disc :)
What annoyed me a bit was that Sammo was talking in english, it just feels wrong, I would rather have him talk in his native tongue and then have it subtitled.

For those that want some more information, Here you can find some more along with some small clips from the interviews as well as a teaser and a trailer.
Bearserk
Chief Image Editor

Postby Gaijin84 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:01 pm

I totally agree - I felt that he couldn't express himself as well as he wanted to, especially in his story of his fued with Bruce Lee. That was great stuff!
Gaijin84
HKMDB Immortal

Postby MrBooth » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:21 pm

"Lost Time" was a film-within-a-film, wasn't it? i.e. it was shot to illustrate the stuff he was talking about in the documentary?

(or, more cynically, they didn't have the funds to shoot a full length feature so they padded it with documentary footage :p)
MrBooth
HKMDB Immortal

Postby Gaijin84 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:34 pm

I'll take the cynical explanation, because I thought the same exact thing when I saw it. Why go through all this production work just to put it in a documentary on stuntmen?
Anyways, it was interesting, so I'll accept it for what it is. :wink:
Gaijin84
HKMDB Immortal

Postby p.i.klein » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:18 pm

Recommended to fast forward to best parts of the first disc

I liked the interviews with the young students on the first disk very much. It gives you an idea of how young people in China think.

I agree that Sammo should have been talking Cantonese.
(Some stills and portrets can be found on HKCinemagic too :wink: )
Pieter, Leeuwarden, Holland
p.i.klein

Postby Phoenix11 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:45 pm

I'd like this documentary. It's very interesting.
Phoenix's Robin Shou Homepage
www.robinshou.wai-lung.com

Robin Shou Forum
www.robinshou.wai-lung.com/forum
Phoenix11

Return to Hong Kong Movies