About genre :Martial Arts

Discussions about Hong Kong Movies

Re: About genre :Martial Arts

Postby pjshimmer » Sat Dec 23, 2000 4:35 am

Jet Li's abortion of HK cinema is indeed a great loss for the movie industry in HK, which is barely surviving these days, but what's more, it was a even bigger loss for us fans. Have you seen Romeo must Die or Lethal Weapon 4? I mean, these movies are Jet Li's worst; just horrible compared to the standards of FONG SAI YUK and THE TAI CHI MASTER.<br><br>I love martial arts just as much as any die-hard fan, but I have never been able to identify with Jackie Chan. When I say the word "martial-arts" or "kung fu", the only thing that comes to mind is period, historic Chinese kung fu and martial arts, not modern-day HK plane hijacking (Blacksheep Affair) or anything of Jackie Chan style. To me, kung fu is purely periodic, and should not have anything to do with present-day films.<br><br>
<b>"Film will only become an art when its materials are as inexpensive as pencil and paper."</b> -- Jean Cocteau

What's a good movie? <b>"You may love it; you may hate it. But let him who is not a ghost dare say that he has felt nothing."</b>
pjshimmer

Re: About genre :Martial Arts

Postby pjshimmer » Fri May 24, 2002 2:09 am

Well, the martial arts genre is pretty much dead in HK right now... (the industry in general is not very healthy) hopefully though, some visionary filmmaker will reinvent the genre OR take the genre onto new heights, like Bruce Lee did in the early 70s and like Jet Li Tsui Hark did in the early 90s.
<b>"Film will only become an art when its materials are as inexpensive as pencil and paper."</b> -- Jean Cocteau

What's a good movie? <b>"You may love it; you may hate it. But let him who is not a ghost dare say that he has felt nothing."</b>
pjshimmer

Return to Hong Kong Movies