Singer ID Me: LIVE HARD

Singer ID Me: LIVE HARD

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:44 pm

Here's the music credits from the closing moments of LIVE HARD, a cool little action flick starring Simon Yam. Just wondering if anyone can tell me who sings the song. I sort of recognize the voice from other songs, but I can't place the name!

Poor image quality brought to you by Widesight Entertainment!

Brian Thibodeau

Postby dleedlee » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:40 pm

Here's the listing from the HKFA:

'一無所有'. 主題曲.
'大約在冬季' / 主唱, 崔建 (即崔健). 插曲.

So, I think it's Cui Jian, the Godfather of Chinese Rock. The first song was the 'anthem' of Tiananman I believe. This is the song he traditionally performs with a red bandanna across his eyes. He rocks.

track 8 aka I Have Nothing
http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/c ... 003270473/

http://en.chinabroadcast.cn/349/2005/08 ... @14628.htm

If you mean the second song, it might be Tsai Chin/Cai Qin if the singer is female.
???? Better to light a candle than curse the darkness; Measure twice, cut once.
Pinyin to Wade-Giles. Cantonese names file
dleedlee
HKMDB Immortal

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:10 pm

Nope, Cui Jian's the one! That's definitely the song. After asking for help on this, I'm almost embarrassed to admit I have one of his albums! :oops: Unfortunately, this song isn't on it, but now I know what to look for on the next one. ;)

(incidentally, I don't recall a second song from that movie, and there's only one listed in the credits, as shown above)

This is one of the reasons I wish songs/singers were credited in the DB, but I realize what a chore that would be, so at best I'll probably post the odd screenshot of a singer who eludes me and see if anyone can help! Hong Kong pop in the movies deserves to be better accounted for!

By the way, what's up with those "DJ's" in that China Broadcast link. The main Chinese guy and the girl seem OK, but who's that third (possibly caucasian?) guy that comes on at the end and blows off the song? Nice.
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Chinoco » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:50 pm

Where did you get this movie? I love Simon Yam and LCW and have heard good things about it! Can't find it anywhere :x

Let me know.

Thanks!
Chinoco

Postby dleedlee » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:42 am

correction: 一塊紅布 is the red cloth Cui Jian song I was thinking of. Both are associated with Tiananmen.
???? Better to light a candle than curse the darkness; Measure twice, cut once.
Pinyin to Wade-Giles. Cantonese names file
dleedlee
HKMDB Immortal

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:42 am

Where did you get this movie? I love Simon Yam and LCW and have heard good things about it! Can't find it anywhere

Let me know.

I picked up the Widesight DVD about seven or eight years ago at a Toronto Chinatown DVD shop (and thankfully before the rise of the pirates, even though LIVE HARD wasn't exactly a prime title for bootleggers), but a quick check of the usual online retailers would seem to indicate it's not in stock anywhere or, more likely, has gone out of print.

And it is indeed a pretty kick-ass film with some phenomenal Yuen clan fight choreography and some very nice twists in the plot. The one review in the database is hardly fair in comparing it to watching a Wong Jing movie (which I'd STRONGLY argue it is NOT), or in calling it derivative largely because it plays off the title (only) of DIE HARD and features a plot involving terrorists. Those are two great reasons TO watch it, in my opinion, otherwise you'd have to avoid ALL movies featuring terrorists for fear they might be similar to DIE HARD or HIGH RISK or what have you. ;)

There are so many phenomenal movies from this period that just seem to fall off the radar while companies like Joy Sales and Hong Kong Legends and Megastar reissue the high profile titles for the umpteenth time... :cry:
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:43 am

correction: ???? is the red cloth Cui Jian song I was thinking of. Both are associated with Tiananmen.

I see. Well, regardless, the song you linked to at China Broadcast is definitely the song in this movie, and to these ears, it's a fantastic choice.
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Chinoco » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:26 am

Thanks for the reply man! I will continue to try and track it down.

You are right about the "one review". That's whats great about this site- usally there is more than one review for each movie. Everyone has different tastes. One man's 1 or 2 might be anothers 10.

In fact, I'm adding a couple reviews right now 8)

Later.
Chinoco

Return to Hong Kong Soundtracks and Songs