LoveHKFilm - down for the count?

Discussions on Asian cinemas: Japanese, Korean, Thai, ....

LoveHKFilm - down for the count?

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:11 am

I'll admit I didn't check it too often -- thus my noticing the "We're Closed" sign on the front page just tonight, even though it's been hanging there since mid-June -- but I did admire the fact that they were practically the only English-language site to consistently keep up with reviewing the latest Hong Kong pictures, so in that sense it'll be a shame not to see them keep plugging away.

However, I've noted not-so-subtle remarks on their front page over the last year about the site's less-than-stellar traffic, which means this (possibly-temporary) vacation isn't really surprising. I suppose adSense doesn't amount to much if you're not attracting eyeballs.

Hope the site at least stays online for reference even if Kozo and others don't bother updating it. There's some valuable info and opinions there to be sure, though I can imagine that the task of penning an 800+ word essay for every movie that comes down the pike -- a not uncommon practice on the web -- probably takes its toll, especially when its largely the work of one person with couldn't have hurt. Here's hoping they won't be another slowly-deteriorating by-product of the ever-evolving internet landscape and the shorter attention-spans it leaves in its wake. Just one more reason I'm glad there are still people out there writing physical books on the subject, paper, electronic or otherwise, as well as folks contributing what they can for the cause over here . . . ;)
Brian Thibodeau

Re: LoveHKFilm - down for the count?

Postby ewaffle » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:03 pm

Even though I had "lovehkfilm" bookmarked and had visited it recently I also missed the closing notice, generally having gone straight to a review from a google search and not through the front door. An impressive accomplishment over the years--and as they mention eight years is a long time for a hobby type website with just a few contributors. I will miss the Kozo-esqe reviews of today's movies when I look for them in months to come.
"I stopped being half-witted and became sly whenever I took the trouble."
Samuel Beckett, "Molloy"
ewaffle

Postby Masterofoneinchpunch » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:56 pm

I didn't even notice that. I always visit http://lovehkfilm.com/features/awards_archive.htm (the awards archive) but I also never go in the front end.
My Amazon Reviews

“That’s Icky to Infinity.” – The Tick
Masterofoneinchpunch

Postby Stalmeister » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:03 am

don't think it is gone for good, kozo hinted as much on facebook
Stalmeister

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:31 pm

Stalmeister wrote:don't think it is gone for good, kozo hinted as much on facebook

The problem for a reader like me is his routine navel-gazing on the front page over the last couple of years about the lack of traffic making him feel like giving up, just no quality movies anymore, blah blah etc. I don't always agree with his reviews -- and I think he writes long to fill space/meet quotas rather than offer concise analysis or context -- but continually wondering whether his heart's really in it makes me take his (virtually always negative) reviews with an even larger grain of salt than in the past. He needs more contributors, not just extended vacations, but since it is just a "hobby" after all, I doubt that will happen. All I can say is, thank heavens for databases in this day and age.
Brian Thibodeau

Return to Asian Movies