2010: The Digital Movie Bonanza

Discussions on Asian cinemas: Japanese, Korean, Thai, ....

Re: 2010: The Digital Movie Bonanza

Postby Masterofoneinchpunch » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:51 pm

Brian Thibodeau wrote:
cal42 wrote:And I have to admit a boob - I saw a Special Edition "Red Cliff" BD and whipped it off the shelf pronto when I saw it was in two parts. It's been chopped up horribly over here, and I assumed this was the original version, but it turns out there's still an awful lot that's been removed. Kind of wished I hadn't wimped out of buying the BDs in Toronto now!

Meant to ask Cal about this earlier. I've been thinking of picking up Magnolia's new Blu of the "original international version" of RED CLIFF from Amazon . . .
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0030A6ID0/
. . . but is this the version you suggest is still missing a lot of material? They list a run time of 288 minutes, which I believe was its length during it's Asian run, but you know how Amazon can be with run times on occasion, and your comments have me wondering if this is the version you got. :? I picked up the HK DVDs of this a while back, but have a friend who's willing to take both off my hands (for what I paid, no less) when I'm done with them, so I'd like to be sure I'm getting a worthy replacement. (by the way, those who poo-poohed Woo over his "relevancy" over the past few years can go pound salt, as they say . . . his Hollywood stuff did indeed bottom out, but RED CLIFF shows he never truly lost his mojo. :lol: )

I should be getting the two parts of Red Cliff from Magnolia soon (if not this week at FYE I'm just going to get it online). Best Buy and Target just had the Theaterical Release (the combination of the two -- Magnolia put out both versions).

I did like Face Off :). I have not seen his, wait I did see Paycheck, nevermind :D.
My Amazon Reviews

“That’s Icky to Infinity.” – The Tick
Masterofoneinchpunch

Postby cal42 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:11 am

I was under the impression (after I looked into it - briefly!) that the original Red Cliff parts were three hours each? This two parter is shorter than that I'm sure. Plus I've heard the subs are burnt it and quite difficult to read. Nice to know some things don't change in this era of HD :P .
Heroes of the East - the only blog in the world with the world famous Lam Suet-o-meter!
cal42

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:32 pm

cal42 wrote:I was under the impression (after I looked into it - briefly!) that the original Red Cliff parts were three hours each? This two parter is shorter than that I'm sure. Plus I've heard the subs are burnt it and quite difficult to read. Nice to know some things don't change in this era of HD :P .

That's seems dodgy. Most of the versions I've held seem to total about 288 minutes combined, so I'm curious if there ever was a six-hour duo released (500 minutes?!? :shock: ). Hard to believe a respectable company like Magnolia would put burned-in subs on a premium title like that. That doesn't sound right . . . :?
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Masterofoneinchpunch » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:20 am

Brian Thibodeau wrote:
cal42 wrote:I was under the impression (after I looked into it - briefly!) that the original Red Cliff parts were three hours each? This two parter is shorter than that I'm sure. Plus I've heard the subs are burnt it and quite difficult to read. Nice to know some things don't change in this era of HD :P .

That's seems dodgy. Most of the versions I've held seem to total about 288 minutes combined, so I'm curious if there ever was a six-hour duo released (500 minutes?!? :shock: ). Hard to believe a respectable company like Magnolia would put burned-in subs on a premium title like that. That doesn't sound right . . . :?

The HK releases of the film (check at HKFlix) seem to be at 140ish minutes per movie. I believe Magnolia has the correct time. I will check the subs when I get it this or next week.
My Amazon Reviews

Masterofoneinchpunch

Postby cal42 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:08 pm

Yes. Thanks both, I reckon this release is probably complete then, which makes me feel a bit better :) . I'm quite looking forawrd to watching it now - and I'm sure from my days of watching 3rd generation bootleg VHS tapes of HK movies I can handle the odd difficult to read subtitle!
Heroes of the East - the only blog in the world with the world famous Lam Suet-o-meter!
cal42

Postby Mike Thomason » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:32 am

He steps up to the plate. He swings the bat with precision...

The Dream of the Red Chamber
The Goddess of Mercy
Lady General Hua Mulan
Madam White Snake
The Magnificent Concubine
Three Sinners
West Chamber

...he scores another homerun. Carry on regardless... 8)
http://eyeswidescreen.wordpress.com/ (Due for a sporadic return throughout 2010)
Mike Thomason

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:47 am

Got it, got it, got it, need it but know where to find it, got it . . . :D Carrying on, I'm reasonably up-to-date on new stuff (well, amassing it, anyways. Just need decent deals on CONFUCIUS and ALL'S WELL 2010 when that comes out), so I scrounged some more dust-coated 2-for-1 HK odds 'n ends at the Wa Yi:

LAW DON (1979)
LUCKY DIAMOND (1985)
FOLLOW YOU LOVING YOU (2003) DB title is taken from the sleeve and is incorrect
18 SHAOLIN GOLDEN BOY (1996)
Also bought two other discs I later discovered I picked up previously (at the same place!) so back I go next weekend for a swap. It starts with the memory, they say.

I'm probably the last one here to notice this (as usual), but lo and behold, DDDHouse has finally added some different titles to their "Weekly Cheap Sale" as well as a Clearance Sale section with random old junk priced at HK$10 or US$1.28. :shock: Filled a box with these:

Clearance items
JULY 13th (1996)
LOVE AND SEX OF EASTERN HOLLYWOOD (2003) (replacement only; traded my original by mistake)
SEAMY SIDE OF LIFE: A BLACK CHICK (2003) (already have the other SEAMY picture; finally get to watch 'em both)
THE OCCUPANT (1984)
SPIRITUAL LOVE (1987)
Owned these last two years ago, and donated them to my hometown library before I got a chance to write them up. D'oh

from the revamped Weekly Cheap Sale:
LEGEND OF A PROFESSIONAL (2000)
NINTH HAPPINESS (1998)
A QUEER STORY (1996)
SNAKE CHARMER (2002)
SPIRITUAL TRINITY (1991)
SWORN REVENGE (2000)
THIS IS KUNG FU (1983)
THUNDER COPS (1989)
A TRAGIC ROOM (2003)
TRICKY KING (1998)
THE YOUNG ONES (1999)

Finally, a second and (for now) final batch from WBShop's 5/$55 sale on Warner Archive DVDs, placed under a secondary email address so I could use the two $5 coupons again :roll:
UNTAMED YOUTH (1957)
GREEN MANSIONS (1959)
I WAS A COMMUNIST FOR THE FBI (1951) 8)
UNSUSPECTED (1947)
BRAINSTORM (1965)

Off to the U.S. for the afternoon tomorrow. I'm almost afraid to go into Big Lots again . . . :lol:
Last edited by Brian Thibodeau on Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Harlock » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:48 pm

ordered not shipped yet (finger crossed)

IVL105999 The Flying Dagger (1969)
IVL105579 Judgement of an Assassin (1977)
IVL101472 My Darling Genie (1984)
IVL102493 A Friend from Inner Space (1984)
IVL104954 Let's Have a Baby (1985)
IVL103223 Shaolin Prince (1983)
IVL613036 Notorious Eight (1981)
IVL612428 legend of the bat
IVL106712 Five Tough Guys (1974) ebay
IVL612381 Lizard (1972) ebay
V-JSDVD3478 DVD-Inspector Wear Skirt II The
V-JSDVD3189 DVD-Manchu Boxer The (Fortune Star) (1974)

still 38 shaw dvd to get from dddhouse (15 really really wanted) :D the end is near :D
Harlock
HKMDB Immortal and Co-Developer

Postby Mike Thomason » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:55 am

Harlock wrote:...still 38 shaw dvd to get from dddhouse (15 really really wanted) :D the end is near :D

I'm around 30 or 40 off having all of the titles I wanted to collect as well. Excepting, of course, the titles I missed before they went OOP in HK, before I really got into the Shaw discs/movies and became addicted to the "Shaw fix"; with luck some of those will be released in Singapore soon and I'll pick them up next trip through. As for the others, I'm just hoping that they'll manage to hold out until I can afford them all -- titles were sporadic to go OOP prior, but now they seem to be disappearing more and more quickly... :(

Here's some other things I've bought of late, just to give some balance...

Antique (South Korea) (DVD)
Dead Snow (Norway) (DVD)
From Within (US) (DVD)
Orphan (US) (DVD)
Staunton Hill (US) (DVD)
Sunny (South Korea) (DVD)
Surviving Evil (UK/South Africa) (DVD)
The Unborn (US) (DVD)

...and as for the "carry on regardless" thing -- don't worry about that too much. It's not a dismissive; it's some old catchphrase from a British TV comedy -- but for the life of me I can't remember which one. Guess I'm getting on and the old memory's starting to fade in some respects... :shock:
http://eyeswidescreen.wordpress.com/ (Due for a sporadic return throughout 2010)
Mike Thomason

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:32 pm

Mike Thomason wrote:...and as for the "carry on regardless" thing -- don't worry about that too much. It's not a dismissive; it's some old catchphrase from a British TV comedy --

Wasn't worried in the least! I was actually just carrying on . . . :lol:

Don't recall a TV show, but there was a film bearing the phrase as its title in the early 60s. Not a bad entry, but I prefer some of the others.

Carrying on now . . .

Brian Thibodeau wrote:Off to the U.S. for the afternoon tomorrow. I'm almost afraid to go into Big Lots again . . . :lol:

As predicted, I went in again. Looks like they had a sale this past week on these $3, reducing them to $2.50 :shock: A lot less stock than two weeks ago (especially in those recent Paramount palettes), but still a few bits and pieces I can finally get around to watching.

GIRLS! GIRLS! GIRLS! (1962; another Elvis movie)
THE COUNTRY GIRL (1954)
HELLER IN PINK TIGHTS (OOP)
THE SPY WHO CAME IN FROM THE COLD (Paramount version)
KING KONG (1976)
LOVER COME BACK (1961)
SHE DONE HIM WRONG (1933; pre-code)
ROBOTECH: SHADOW CHRONICLES

Most of these are likely destined for resale. 8)

Also rented SHERLOCK HOLMES (2009) this weekend and I'm now kicking myself for not having seen it in a theatre. Thought it was exceptionally well done.
Last edited by Brian Thibodeau on Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Mike Thomason » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:06 pm

Managed to score another couple of OOP Shaws yesterday...

The Magnificent Trio
The Pearl Phoenix

...will look at picking up a few more (or dozen or so) other Shaw titles in a couple of weeks. :)
Mike Thomason

Postby Harlock » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:24 pm

some mores

Roving swordsman (ebay)
Corpse mania (amazon.ca because IVL is vcd only)
Heroes of the East
oily maniac*
swordsman an enchantress*
ghost eyes*
hex vs witchcraft*
Secret service of the imperial court*
non-shaw brothers
a massacre survivor*

*= got the full dvds by an evil way :D
Harlock

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:26 pm

Deep Discount is running a very good sale on Sony DVD boxed sets until April 19.
http://www.deepdiscount.com/save-up-to- ... -box-sets/

Picked up:
COLUMBIA PICTURES FILM NOIR CLASSICS VOL. 1 - $23.98
WILLIAM CASTLE COLLECTION (8 films) - $35.98
(this replaces all the singles I sold and adds several I've wanted to see for decades!)

Still debating three "Icons" collections (Toho Sci-Fi, Sam Katzman and Hammer Horror 4 film sets) . . .

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

On a digitally related note, I recently stumbled across a way to better my cinema education via the Criterion Collection thanks to the Toronto Public Library system, which has around 200 titles from the collection in circulation, probably more. I've long wished I could sample most of the Criterion catalogue before buying, and this finally allows me to do that without breaking the bank. While I'd love to have a collection that rivals Shawn's, that's just not feasible. Going forward, I'd like to upgrade my small CC collection to Blu-ray as they become available—I already have six—and then use the library collection to influence/justify future CC Blu purchases.

What I've signed out (and watched) so far:

A CANTERBURY TALE*
SULLIVAN'S TRAVELS
LA JETEE / SANS SOLEIL
MON ONCLE
GREEN FOR DANGER*

* = definite Blu-ray purchases if they even become available. The others I'm simply glad I finally got to see them.

Also have THE DISCREET CHARM OF THE BOURGEOISIE, RASHOMON and IF... on hand and will be watching those over the next couple of days.

The only downside of library copies: they aren't in very good condition, for the most part. Some are so covered in scuffs and scratches it's almost tragic. So far, they've all played fine, but I have to wonder if they replace them on a reasonably regular basis. :| Beggars can't be choosers, I guess. :lol:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Thoughts on MON ONCLE, since I believe it came up in a previous thread in regards to PLAY TIME: I think MON ONCLE makes me appreciate PLAY TIME even more, possibly because of the latter's overreaching folly than anything else, plus the fact that it seems to be the gloriously outsized culmination of Tati's rather narrow preoccupation with contrasting evil modernity against simple(-minded?) rusticity, or whatever one calls it. I suppose I still have to watch M. HULOT'S HOLIDAY (the library has it), but I just don't find Tati to be the comedic genius he's usually heralded to be, even within the context of his time. This isn't to say he wasn't funny; he was! I just think he could have been funnier for the period. I mean, I see the deadpan humour and social commentary in his material, and his Hulot character is rather unique (if undernourished in my book), but even by 1950's standards of comedy, I'm surprised he didn't come of as simply quaint or folksy, peddling the kind of humour that conservative, middle-aged parents of the day would have loved. After I watched it, I perused some reviews on the web and noticed, as an example, that many writers seem to point to the fountain in the sister's ultra-modern home as a source of absolute hilarity. Apparently it eluded me. The element of the fountain that I found cleverest—the sister turning it on or off depending on the importance of the person coming through her gate—gave me a subtle smirk the first couple of times it was used, less so each time after that, because it didn't lead anywhere so much as just . . . repeat. Outside of that, the main gag concerning the fountain seemed to be the hole Hulot accidentally punctures in the pipeline and his deadpan attempts to cover it up. This was not new material in 1958, and frankly, I think the comedians that rejiggered it post-Tati found ways to make it truly hilarious. Tati seemed insistent on staging everything in long shots, which often buries some well-devised gags in visually bustling or (admittedly gorgeously) production-designed frames, but eschewed closeup reactions and medium close-ups that could have embellished the gags—the closest he seemed to get to doing this was in the kitchen scene with the bouncing teapot, and his facial reaction is what makes that joke one of the more successful in the film. This distance makes his comedy a bit cold and aloof, at least to these eyes. Tati aficionados who maintain that viewers have to work harder to appreciate Tati's gags because they've been jaded by the styles of comedy that have followed in his wake (in which performers often expanded upon his gags) seem too willing to overlook the fact that Tati's bag of tricks was limited, even obvious, despite his keen eye for visuals and cutting. Once other European comedians started absorbing/stealing/riffing on his style, and intercutting the long shots with medium shots and especially close-ups (to humanize often similar characters, a la Python and even crass clowns like Benny Hill), that's when Tati's style of humour seems to have found a wide audience, but by then Tati himself had shot his financial wad on PLAY TIME and only had TRAFIC left in him before calling it a day. I'd still rate MON ONCLE very highly for a variety of reasons (maybe a 7 or 8 out of 10), but not specifically for its comedy elements alone. Guess I've still got aways to go in "getting" the man and his work! :lol:

Question for Shawn: do you know if Criterion ever got around to making replacement cases available for all of its crappy cardboard cases that were used on early Blu-ray releases? I ordered a THIRD MAN case from them back when it was the only one available, but have two more I need to replace and I'm wondering if I should just send them the money (rip-off! should be free! :lol: ) and hope for the best.
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Masterofoneinchpunch » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:56 pm

Brian Thibodeau wrote:While I'd love to have a collection that rivals Shawn's, that's just not feasible. Going forward, I'd like to upgrade my small CC collection to Blu-ray as they become available—I already have six—and then use the library collection to influence/justify future CC Blu purchases.

A CANTERBURY TALE*
SULLIVAN'S TRAVELS
LA JETEE / SANS SOLEIL
MON ONCLE
GREEN FOR DANGER*

* = definite Blu-ray purchases if they even become available. The others I'm simply glad I finally got to see them.

Also have THE DISCREET CHARM OF THE BOURGEOISIE, RASHOMON and IF... on hand and will be watching those over the next couple of days.

The only downside of library copies: they aren't in very good condition, for the most part. Some are so covered in scuffs and scratches it's almost tragic. So far, they've all played fine, but I have to wonder if they replace them on a reasonably regular basis. :| Beggars can't be choosers, I guess. :lol:

Question for Shawn: do you know if Criterion ever got around to making replacement cases available for all of its crappy cardboard cases that were used on early Blu-ray releases? I ordered a THIRD MAN case from them back when it was the only one available, but have two more I need to replace and I'm wondering if I should just send them the money (rip-off! should be free! :lol: ) and hope for the best.

Brian Thibodeau wrote:Deep Discount is running a very good sale on Sony DVD boxed sets until April 19.
http://www.deepdiscount.com/save-up-to- ... -box-sets/

Picked up:
COLUMBIA PICTURES FILM NOIR CLASSICS VOL. 1 - $23.98
WILLIAM CASTLE COLLECTION (8 films) - $35.98
(this replaces all the singles I sold and adds several I've wanted to see for decades!)

Still debating three "Icons" collections (Toho Sci-Fi, Sam Katzman and Hammer Horror 4 film sets) . . .

I will probably pick those up as well. I do own the Hammer Horror set already, but haven't seen it.

Brian Thibodeau wrote:Question for Shawn: do you know if Criterion ever got around to making replacement cases available for all of its crappy cardboard cases that were used on early Blu-ray releases? I ordered a THIRD MAN case from them back when it was the only one available, but have two more I need to replace and I'm wondering if I should just send them the money (rip-off! should be free! :lol: ) and hope for the best.

I have not tested them on replacement cases for blu-ray. THIRD MAN would most likely be a big no because it is OOP for the blu-ray. But (and this is the big butt) you can always email them and ask. They have usually been pretty good in the replacement category (they have replaced a defective second disc for me). But please tell me how it goes as I am, of course, interested in what happens.

I will comment more on Mon Oncle later (hopefully this week; unfortunately very busy this week).

Brian Thibodeau wrote:While I'd love to have a collection that rivals Shawn's, that's just not feasible. Going forward, I'd like to upgrade my small CC collection to Blu-ray as they become available—I already have six—and then use the library collection to influence/justify future CC Blu purchases.

A CANTERBURY TALE*
SULLIVAN'S TRAVELS
LA JETEE / SANS SOLEIL
MON ONCLE
GREEN FOR DANGER*

Also have THE DISCREET CHARM OF THE BOURGEOISIE, RASHOMON and IF... on hand and will be watching those over the next couple of days..

I'm definitely behind on Criterion blu-ray, not sure how many I have (will have a number later :D).

I have seen all the above except for IF (I do own though). I'm a big fan of GREEN FOR DANGER (heck I'm a Alastair Sim fan so that's a easy pick). I loved THE DISCREET CHARM OF THE BOURGEOISIE, but I do with most Bunuel. Really SANS SOLEIL is the only one above I could not get into. LA JETEE is great to see especially if you are a 12 Monkeys fan (or 12 minkees if you are Inspector Clouseau).
My Amazon Reviews

Masterofoneinchpunch

Postby Masterofoneinchpunch » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:55 pm

My latest purchases bwah ha ha cough cough:

Quantum of Solace (2008): for free
Creature Comforts - The Complete Second Season: Big lots.
3 Godfathers (1948): Marshalls.
Grizzly Man (2005): Marshalls.
The Three Stooges: The Three Stooges in Orbit (1962): Marshalls
Marley & Me (Three-Disc Bad Dog Edition) [Blu-ray] (2008)
The Protector [Blu-ray DD] (2006)
The Killer (HK: DD): yea yeah I have all DD DVDs.
A Place in the Sun (1951): this is on several lists I'm working on.
The Blue Kite (China: 1994): Definitely looking forward to this.
Keeping Mum (2005): was happy to find this.
Kung Fu Hustle (blu-ray:HK): have already seen several times. This was just a fun purchase.
Blood on the Sun (1945): supposedly first use of martial arts by an American in a Hollywood film.
Long Arm of the Law (HK): got the newest version.
It’s All True (1993)
The John Wayne Collection (El Dorado, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, The Shootist, The Sons of Katie Elder, True Grit): Watched The Shootist already.
Three Soviet Classics (Earth / The End of St. Petersburg / Chess Fever)
Great Directors: Volume 1 (Dersu Uzala / The Mirror / Les Bonnes Femmes / Il Grido / Circle of Deceit): Watched The Mirror already.
Sherlock Holmes (2009: Blu-ray combo): Watched. Enjoyed a lot. Yes he's no Basil Rathbone :D.
The Rundown (2003)
The 14 Amazons (HK: Shaw Brothers): already seen; good.
Shaolin Hand Lock (1978: HK: Shaw Brothers): already seen; OK. Shaolin Hand Lock = Rear naked choke.
Azumi (Japan)
The Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009) Blu Ray combo: I enjoyed this quite a bit.
Decision Before Dawn (1951)
Man Hunt (1941)
The African Queen (1951): Watched already. Classic. Also read the book that comes with the larger set (though technically I bought the book separately).
My Amazon Reviews

Masterofoneinchpunch

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:50 am

Recent odds 'n ends:

ICONS OF HORROR: SAM KATZMAN - 10.98
ICONS OF SCI-FI: TOHO COLLECTION - 11.98
ICONS OF HORROR: HAMMER FILMS - 10.98
(all from the ongoing Deep Discount sale. Excellent prices 8) )

And a couple more Blu-ray's via HMV's trade-in sale (gave them some awful old beat-up crap and got $5 off, so $10 each for these)

THE INCREDIBLE HULK (2008)
THE THING (1982)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Also acquired some more Criterions for the week ahead courtesy of the Toronto Library. Sadly, these must be returned, which is just as well, since many of them look like they've been skated on! :roll:

THE LADY EVE (1941)
A NIGHT TO REMEMBER (1958)
EYES WITHOUT A FACE (1959)
PANDORA'S BOX (1929)
THE RED SHOES (1948)

Fortuitous timing on RED SHOES. Reserved it online last week, and just today I discovered that Criterion is releasing both it and BLACK NARCISSUS on Blu in July. The latter is a no-brainer for me to upgrade as it's probably my favourite among all the Criterions I own. Guess I'll see whether RED SHOES warrants the same love.

From the previous batch, I watched THE DISCREET CHARM OF THE BOURGEOISIE and RASHOMON. Loved them both, but feel no need to upgrade either, although I certainly agree with most of the praise heaped upon them over the years—both are classics. I think I prefer EXTERMINATING ANGEL to DISCREET CHARM, though; there's definitely some overlapping ideology shared between them but I like the added dimension of ANGEL's protagonists being Mexicans sort of "playing at" being bourgeoisie, which is discussed in the excellent Bunuel documentary included in the DISCREET CHARM set (forget how they described it exactly, but that's the gist of it), something that makes the director's infliction of suffering upon those little "poseurs" all the more delightfully cruel to these eyes.

Hoping to watch IF... tonight, then move on to the newer batch over the next few days.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:The Killer (HK: DD): yea yeah I have all DD DVDs.

I'll pretend I didn't read that. :D Seriously, though, the reviews have not been kind toward that KILLER blu-ray, which, considering Dragon Dynasty's spotty history on both formats, doesn't surprise me in the least. It's a shame that it quite possibly will be the last R1 version of the film ever to appear on disc-based media. :( I can't imagine Dragon Dynasty will be around much longer anyways. They haven't acquired anything in recent months, and they're releasing catalogue titles on Blu-ray with the same indifferent quality control they applied to their DVD library. Something's better than nothing, but what I wouldn't have given for Criterion to re-acquire the rights to both KILLER and HARD BOILED and finally do them justice (and port over the superior commentary tracks from their old DVDs/LDs).
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Masterofoneinchpunch » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:11 pm

Brian Thibodeau wrote:...Also acquired some more Criterions for the week ahead courtesy of the Toronto Library. Sadly, these must be returned, which is just as well, since many of them look like they've been skated on! :roll:

THE LADY EVE (1941)
A NIGHT TO REMEMBER (1958)
EYES WITHOUT A FACE (1959)
PANDORA'S BOX (1929)
THE RED SHOES (1948)

Fortuitous timing on RED SHOES. Reserved it online last week, and just today I discovered that Criterion is releasing both it and BLACK NARCISSUS on Blu in July. The latter is a no-brainer for me to upgrade as it's probably my favourite among all the Criterions I own. Guess I'll see whether RED SHOES warrants the same love.

From the previous batch, I watched THE DISCREET CHARM OF THE BOURGEOISIE and RASHOMON. Loved them both, but feel no need to upgrade either, although I certainly agree with most of the praise heaped upon them over the years—both are classics. I think I prefer EXTERMINATING ANGEL to DISCREET CHARM, though; there's definitely some overlapping ideology shared between them but I like the added dimension of ANGEL's protagonists being Mexicans sort of "playing at" being bourgeoisie, which is discussed in the excellent Bunuel documentary included in the DISCREET CHARM set (forget how they described it exactly, but that's the gist of it), something that makes the director's infliction of suffering upon those little "poseurs" all the more delightfully cruel to these eyes.

Hoping to watch IF... tonight, then move on to the newer batch over the next few days.

Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:The Killer (HK: DD): yea yeah I have all DD DVDs.

I'll pretend I didn't read that. :D Seriously, though, the reviews have not been kind toward that KILLER blu-ray, which, considering Dragon Dynasty's spotty history on both formats, doesn't surprise me in the least. It's a shame that it quite possibly will be the last R1 version of the film ever to appear on disc-based media. :( I can't imagine Dragon Dynasty will be around much longer anyways. They haven't acquired anything in recent months, and they're releasing catalogue titles on Blu-ray with the same indifferent quality control they applied to their DVD library. Something's better than nothing, but what I wouldn't have given for Criterion to re-acquire the rights to both KILLER and HARD BOILED and finally do them justice (and port over the superior commentary tracks from their old DVDs/LDs).
j

EYES WITHOUT A FACE is the only one above I do not own (and have not seen) from Criterion. You will find it hard not to think of TITANTIC when watching A NIGHT TO REMEMBER :D (you should have watched the movie 4/14 through 4/15 :D). PANDORA'S BOX is really the only one I have trouble recommending (directed by Pabst). The movie is known for Louise Brooks's performance, but I'm really not sold on her. She certainly was a petulant person who seemed more of an arse then anything else (I did watch all the extras on that :D).

I love EXTERMINATING ANGEL so it is a hard choice. But I like most of Bunuel anyways. Bunuel was not happy with some of the results of EXTERMINATING ANGEL such as the actors did not know how to truly behave bourgeoisie and the fact they didn't fit their clothes (something the upper rich who would have had them tailored).

DD actually has the rights to lots and lots of films. They really do not have to acquire anything. They just need to put stuff out (which they will not do). THE KILLER DD has no commentary (which I thought Bey Logan had actually done one, but DD probably sat on that).
My Amazon Reviews

Masterofoneinchpunch

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:11 pm

I love EXTERMINATING ANGEL so it is a hard choice. But I like most of Bunuel anyways. Bunuel was not happy with some of the results of EXTERMINATING ANGEL such as the actors did not know how to truly behave bourgeoisie and the fact they didn't fit their clothes (something the upper rich who would have had them tailored).

I think this actually works in the film's favour, as it serves as another layer of criticism of Mexican bourgeoisie as wannabes, something I'd think Bunuel would have found worthy of his ridicule. Perhaps he didn't see it that way, but one of the interviewees in the documentary on the DISCREET CHARM disc also suggests it works in the film's favour.

DD actually has the rights to lots and lots of films. They really do not have to acquire anything. They just need to put stuff out (which they will not do). THE KILLER DD has no commentary (which I thought Bey Logan had actually done one, but DD probably sat on that).

I'm somewhat familiar with their laundry list of unrelease films, but the problem is most of those pictures will not likely be released by them now. They're on their last legs, their KILLER releases (both of 'em) are getting savaged, and rightfully so, which means the films they've yet to release probably aren't seen as viable in a disc-based marketplace that's on a slow decline, especially a market that constantly takes them to task for their corner-cutting and screwups. Perhaps the download era will see those films finally surface, but I'm sure they'll still find ways to give North American fans and newbies a compromised experience with each and every one of them. ;) The loss of a Logan commentary for the KILLER was a good thing in my eyes. He probably KNEW people would compare it to the ones John Woo and Terrence Chang recorded for Criterion and Fox Lorber and find it wanting.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

CRITERION UPDATE:
Watched IF. . . on the weekend. Most likely will get that on Blu if it's released. Saw the film on television when I was far too young to appreciate it, (and could barely remember it as a result), like 12 years old or something. A fantastic set of extras on this one as well. Extremely worthwhile commentary, and the extras (a newer roundtable discussion with surviving crew members and Malcolm MacDowell and an fascinating early educational film by Lindsay Anderson) provide ideal further context.

Also watched THE LADY EVE. I liked this a bit better than SULLIVAN'S TRAVELS, but won't need to own it. Sadly, this has one of the worst commentaries I've EVER heard on a Criterion disc. Marian Keane is a big old phony who tries to make her constant narration (which is all she really does) sound more educated and high-minded than it really is, and ends up teaching us almost nothing that could be verified by other sources because, for the most part, she's guessing and making stuff up. Sturges would probably have had a good laugh. She regularly overreaches in her "analysis" of what things mean, to the point of appearing to grasp at philosophical straws just to keep being heard: "But what does this photograph Henry Fonda is looking at tell us about people in photographs, and people in movies by association? It tells us that they're real people with real lives blah blah blah" :shock: :? Sheeeesh.
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Masterofoneinchpunch » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:57 pm

I have talked about my dislike of Marian Keane commentaries before. Most infamous was Notorious, but I've also heard her on Spellbound and 39 Steps. By the time I got THE LADY EVE I stopped listening to her commentaries.

Both THE LADY EVE and SULLIVAN'S TRAVELS I liked, but didn't fall in love with. I just could not believe Fonda's character could be that stupid in the film. Something about the work of the screwball comedies of Preston Sturges I have not got into. Believe it or not those are the only two films of his I have seen. I really need to see Unfaithfully Yours, The Sin of Harold Diddlebock, The Palm Beach Story and Christmas in July.

What I have seen from the Criterion collection lately has been Withnail and I, Essential Art House: Mayerling and The Browning Version.

Somehow I think Logan would have thought his commentary would have been better than Woo and Chang :D.
My Amazon Reviews

Masterofoneinchpunch

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:14 pm

Another trip home last weekend, another border crossing to Big Lots, another haul of $3 DVDs. This really seems to be getting out of hand now. :roll: :lol:

$3 at BIG LOTS:

PERFUME: THE STORY OF A MURDERER
HURRICANE
(Irwin Allen)
ZPG: ZERO POPULATION GROWTH (Oliver Reed)**
THE OPTIMISTS (Peter Sellers)
HANA: THE TALE OF A RELUCTANT SAMURAI (Hirokazu Kore-eda; Funimation edition)
FRAMED (Joe Don Baker)
NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD: RIFFTRAX EDITION
MISSILE TO THE MOON: RIFFTRAX EDITION

LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS: RIFFTRAX EDITION
KILLER SHREWS/GIANT GILA MONSTER DOUBLE FEATURE

FULL METAL ALCHEMIST: THE MOVIE (Anime)
TOKYO MAJIN: COMPLETE PART 1 (Anime)
PROJECT BLUE: EARTH SOS - COMPLETE SERIES (Anime)

As usual, most of these will likely end up sold later on, but few more gaps in my movie knowledge can finally be filled.

$3 at U.S. WALMART (new rack; mostly lesser stuff):

TALK TO ME (Don Cheadle)
FINAL CUT (Robin Williams)

$8 BLU-RAY UPGRADES at U.S. WALMART:

HARD RAIN
THE RELIC
THE RUNNING MAN

Also:

**ZPG was a nice find at this price, if only because it was a movie I've simply wanted to finish watching for about 20 years, ever since I rented a worn-out tape of it in my old home town and had it break in my VCR! :lol: Now having seen it, it was hardly worth the wait. Not a bad picture, just not a keeper. Interesting, but heavy-handed, grim and already listed on Amazon marketplace.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Library Criterion Update

Watched a few more of my sign-outs:

A NIGHT TO REMEMBER (1958): Definitely will upgrade this to Blu if they release it. I think I now prefer this to Cameron's TITANIC. Both have a LOT in common, thanks to being based on eyewitness accounts, but this one doesn't have the made-up love story padding it out, which keeps it firmly in the realm of docu-drama. Granted, the ship doesn't go down correctly, even though eyewitness accounts of the time have it breaking in two on the surface, but it's a small quibble in light of such excellent filmmaking.

THE RED SHOES (1948) Another definite upgrade to Blu, which is coming out in a few months with a newly remastered print. Not much I can add to the well-earned consensus on this one. Just phenomenal filmmaking for its time.

PANDORA'S BOX (1928). No need to upgrade, but an important movie to have seen nonetheless, with an excellent collection of supplements. I can understand Shawn's earlier comments about Louise Brooks, but I'm not sure she'd disagree herself, which makes the movie, and her place in the pantheon of cinema goddesses, no less worthy. The backstage sequence at the burlesque is a marvel of camerawork and editing.

EYES WITHOUT A FACE (1960). A possible upgrade to Blu. Loved the film, face-removal and all, but had a hell of a time with LE SANG DES BÉTES (1948), Georges Franju's short documentary included as a supplement. Thank gawd that piece was filmed in black and white; Franju even admits in one of the other supplements that it would have been ghastly in colour. It's a beautiful piece of work, but almost impossible to watch if you're the type who prefers not to think about the process that puts meat on your plate (even today!). It's also impossible to look away for long. Obviously this is largely self-criticism, not criticism of the film, which simply shows the unvarnished reality of life in the French slaughterhouses of the day and is near-perfect in that mission. I'm sure the only difference between then and now is mankind's reliance on machines (shudder) to do much of the "dirty work" for us.

Up next:
CONTEMPT

Still in queue:
L'AVVENTURA
JEANNE DIELMAN, 23, QUAI DU COMMERCE, 1080 BRUXELLES
BREATHLESS
PIERROT LE FOU
UN FLIC
Last edited by Brian Thibodeau on Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Masterofoneinchpunch » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:06 pm

Brian Thibodeau wrote:...Library Criterion Update

Watched a few more of my sign-outs:

A NIGHT TO REMEMBER (1958): Definitely will upgrade this to Blu if they release it. I think I now prefer this to Cameron's TITANIC. Both have a LOT in common, thanks to being based on eyewitness accounts, but this one doesn't have the made-up love story padding it out, which keeps it firmly in the realm of docu-drama. Granted, the ship doesn't go down correctly, even though eyewitness accounts of the time have it breaking in two on the surface, but it's a small quibble in light of such excellent filmmaking.

THE RED SHOES (1948) Another definite upgrade to Blu, which is coming out in a few months with a newly remastered print. Not much I can add to the well-earned consensus on this one. Just phenomenal filmmaking for its time.

PANDORA'S BOX (1928). No need to upgrade, but an important movie to have seen nonetheless, with an excellent collection of supplements. I can understand Shawn's earlier comments about Louise Brooks, but I'm not sure she'd disagree herself, which makes the movie, and her place in the pantheon of cinema goddesses, no less worthy. The backstage sequence at the burlesque is a marvel of camerawork and editing.

EYES WITHOUT A FACE (1960). A possible upgrade to Blu. Loved the film, face-removal and all, but had a hell of a time with LE SANG DES BÉTES (1948), Georges Franju's short documentary included as a supplement. Thank gawd that piece was filmed in black and white; Franju even admits in one of the other supplements that it would have been ghastly in colour. It's a beautiful piece of work, but almost impossible to watch if you're the type who prefers not to think about the process that puts meat on your plate (even today!). It's also impossible to look away for long. Obviously this is largely self-criticism, not criticism of the film, which simply shows the unvarnished reality of life in the French slaughterhouses of the day and is near-perfect in that mission. I'm sure the only difference between then and now is mankind's reliance on machines (shudder) to do much of the "dirty work" for us.

Up next:
CONTEMPT

Still in queue:
L'AVVENTURA
JEANNE DIELMAN, 23, QUAI DU COMMERCE, 1080 BRUXELLES
BREATHLESS
PIERROT LE FOU
UN FLIC

I easily prefer A NIGHT TO REMEMBER to TITANIC. I was surprised by how much was similar except for the romance which I felt was a bit silly in TITANIC.

I'm just not that much of a Godard fan. I've seen CONTEMPT, BREATHLESS, PIERROT LE FOU, but am always in the middle with them. He is always more about personally and filmatic references then a cohesive whole for his product (in my tastes). That is the same with L'AVVENTURA but for a completely different reason. I'm just not that enthralled with upper middle class malaise.

I need to buy JEANNE DIELMAN, 23, QUAI DU COMMERCE, 1080 BRUXELLES. I have UN FLIC (last Melville film), but there is no Criterion of that :D.

There's just so many films of 1929 I prefer to PANDORA'S BOX like The Cocoanuts, Spite Marriage, Hallelujah! hmmm I need to see Frau im Mond (luckily I do own it).
My Amazon Reviews

Masterofoneinchpunch

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Thu May 06, 2010 6:33 pm

Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:I'm just not that much of a Godard fan. I've seen CONTEMPT, BREATHLESS, PIERROT LE FOU, but am always in the middle with them. He is always more about personally and filmatic references then a cohesive whole for his product (in my tastes).

Based on my admittedly limited experience with Godard at this point (three films, including CONTEMPT, which I just watched last night), I've seen enough to share this sentiment. I'll certainly watch more of his films as I find them, albeit via the library, as I have no desire to own based on the three I've seen so far. I definitely "get" what he was doing in his approach to filmmaking/storytelling, but it leaves me cold. His insistence on calling attention to (deconstructing?) the artifice of cinema—i.e. subverting technical and thematic constructs normally more deeply-seeded in mainstream fare and thus taken for granted by mainstream audiences—seems the height of pretension, at least to me, mainly because I tend to think ANY movie viewer possessed of even a modest passion realizes that movies are inherently "constructed" and doesn't need an auteur like Godard to upend convention for us to "suddenly" see it for what it is. At the same time, I can understand how he earned his following, even if I'll never likely care to join it. I much prefer Truffaut, I suppose.

Speaking of Truffaut, I signed out a Canadian DVD edition of 400 BLOWS from the local library a few days back just to see a short film by Truffaut—his second—called LES MISTONS (1957; aka THE MISCHIEF MAKERS, or THE KIDS) included on the disc that should definitely have been included—but wasn't—on the Criterion version. The seeds of 400 BLOWS—and much of what would follow—are very much sown in this amazing little film about a group of budding French schoolboys attempting (and largely failing) to taunt an older girl they're secretly infatuated with and her boyfriend, ultimately a doomed pair. Many little ideas and shots are repeated and expanded upon in 400 BLOWS—including the stealing of a poster off the wall outside the cinema—making the two an ideal pairing. Too bad Criterion missed the boat on this (rights issues?).

Getting back to the Bonanza, or the Odyssey, or the Chivvy, as it were . . .

Some more Hong Kong stuff from recent weeks, mostly 2-for-1 deals, as usual, paid for in part by the proceeds from re-selling Big Lots DVDs after I've watched them! :lol:

Legendary Collection DVDs
LADY IN BLACK (1987)
A KILLER'S BLUES
WILL OF IRON (1991)
ITCHY FINGERS (1979)
POM POM STRIKES BACK (1986)
FURY (88) I've wanted to see this for ages. Nice to finally have it on DVD

One Shaw Bros. DVD (not enough to enter me into the recent Shaw DVD wiener-waving competition here, but it'll do . . . ;) )
STARRY IS THE NIGHT (1988)

And one newbie:
LITTLE BIG SOLDIER (2-disc) (not really a HK picture, but hey . . .)

And a couple of bargain-priced Blu-rays ($10 ea.)
KILL BILL (Canadian Blu+DVD Combo)
KILL BILL 2 (ditto)
Last edited by Brian Thibodeau on Thu May 06, 2010 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Harlock » Thu May 06, 2010 6:59 pm

Bonanza season 4 (no sub, english and deutch dub)

all in dvds because i dont trust chinese blu-ray since police story....

14 Blades
little big soldier
72 tenant of prosperity
ip man
founding of a republic
three kingdom
shinjuku accident
enter the phoenix
bodyguard and assassins (3 disc)
superfool (richard ng 1981)

Shaw Bros:

hong kong godfather
Buddha Palm (french edition)
IVL612510 The Knight of Knights (shipped)
IVL105166 Perfect Girl (shipped)
IVL612428 legend of the bat (1978) (shipped)
IVL106545 Heroes of the Underground (1976) (shipped)
IVL100949 Heroes Shed No Tears (1980) (shipped)
IVL102363 Hex (1980) (shipped)
IVL102035 Hex After Hex (1982) (ordered)
IVL100116 Emperor And His Brother (1981) (ordered)
IVL104022 Gambler's Delight (1981) (ordered)
IVL103858 Enchantress The (1983) (ordered)
IVL105500 Fast Fingers (1983) (ordered)
IVL100604 Little Dragon Maiden (1983) (ordered)
IVL101878 New Tales of the Flying Fox (1984) (ordered)
IVL101557 Les Belles (1961) (ordered)
IVL101342 King with my face (1967) (ordered)
Harlock

Postby Masterofoneinchpunch » Thu May 06, 2010 9:14 pm

Brian Thibodeau wrote:
Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:I'm just not that much of a Godard fan. I've seen CONTEMPT, BREATHLESS, PIERROT LE FOU, but am always in the middle with them. He is always more about personally and filmatic references then a cohesive whole for his product (in my tastes).

Based on my admittedly limited experience with Godard at this point (three films, including CONTEMPT, which I just watched last night), I've seen enough to share this sentiment. I'll certainly watch more of his films as I find them, albeit via the library, as I have no desire to own based on the three I've seen so far. I definitely "get" what he was doing in his approach to filmmaking/storytelling, but it leaves me cold. His insistence on calling attention to (deconstructing?) the artifice of cinema—i.e. subverting technical and thematic constructs normally more deeply-seeded in mainstream fare and thus taken for granted by mainstream audiences—seems the height of pretension, at least to me, mainly because I tend to think ANY movie viewer possessed of even a modest passion realizes that movies are inherently "constructed" and doesn't need an auteur like Godard to upend convention for us to "suddenly" see it for what it is. At the same time, I can understand how he earned his following, even if I'll never likely care to join it. I much prefer Truffaut, I suppose.

Speaking of Truffaut, I signed out a Canadian DVD edition of 400 BLOWS from the local library a few days back just to see a short film by Truffaut—his second—called LES MISTONS (1957; aka THE MISCHIEF MAKERS, or THE KIDS) included on the disc that should definitely have been included—but wasn't—on the Criterion version. The seeds of 400 BLOWS—and much of what would follow—are very much sown in this amazing little film about a group of budding French schoolboys attempting (and largely failing) to taunt an older girl they're secretly infatuated with and her boyfriend, ultimately a doomed pair. Many little ideas and shots are repeated and expanded upon in 400 BLOWS—including the stealing of a poster off the wall outside the cinema—making the two an ideal pairing. Too bad Criterion missed the boat on this (rights issues?).
...One Shaw Bros. DVD [size=75](not enough to enter me into the recent Shaw DVD wiener-waving competition here, but it'll do . . . ;) ...

Actually Criterion has released LES MISTONS, but it is in the Adventures of Antoine Doinel, The - The Criterion Collection set (which I have). Great little short (I have yet to see Une Visite his first short).

I have mentioned before, but Tarantino who is a Godard fan has stated that he is not a Truffaut fan. What is funny is how much his films have been directely influenced by Truffaut from Pulp FIction with Shoot the Piano Player to Kill Bill which has several direct references to The Bride Wore Black.

I have seen nine items from Truffaut and really liked all of them with Love on the Run being probably the least. However, you can see the direct influence that film had on Amelie (plot structure), but it ultimately had way too much flashback (though occasionally putting in scenes that were never used before and sometimes changing the meaning of certain scenes in previous Antoine Doinel films). But for me Truffaut is more humanistic than Godard and that gathers my interest. Not how many jump cuts you can use for effect (not the first film to do this, but possibly the first overuse in BREATHLESS :D) or the personal allegory behind the stabbing. While my favorite Godard is probably Band of Outsiders (with Alphaville being second), I still prefer to watch the characters from Louis Malle (the French director I have seen the most films from), Jean Renoir, Jean Pierre-Melville, Robert Bresson, and Truffaut.
My Amazon Reviews

Masterofoneinchpunch

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Sat May 08, 2010 3:19 am

Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:Actually Criterion has released LES MISTONS, but it is in the Adventures of Antoine Doinel, The - The Criterion Collection set (which I have). Great little short (I have yet to see Une Visite his first short).

Thanks for the clarification. Shows how limited my Criterion experience is, eh? :lol: Still, LES MISTONS is such an ideal companion piece to 400 BLOWS in particular that it still seems odd they wouldn't see fit to include it on the single releases of that film. Still, good to know they made it available somewhere.

I have mentioned before, but Tarantino who is a Godard fan has stated that he is not a Truffaut fan. What is funny is how much his films have been directely influenced by Truffaut from Pulp FIction with Shoot the Piano Player to Kill Bill which has several direct references to The Bride Wore Black.

Suddenly remembered this interview with Tarantino wherein he mentions his preference of Goddard over Truffaut, particularly when the interviewer brings up THE BRIDE WORE BLACK.
http://japattack.com/main/node/79

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

As today is payday, I picked up a few discs on the way home from work:

MY SON A-CHANG (early Bruce Lee)
A SON IS BORN (ditto)
AN ORPHAN'S TRAGEDY (ditto)
I recall these being mentioned either here or at another forum recently (possibly by Dennis?), but can't remember in what context (a/v quality, perhaps) or find the thread. :( One of my haunts was selling all three of these in a bundle for $23.99, so I'm at least hoping that was a fair price for them.

TRICK OR CHEAT (2009)
72 TENANTS OF PROSPERITY (2010)
CONFUCIUS (2010)
TRUE LEGEND (2010)

MY GIRLFRIEND IS AN AGENT (Korea; 2009)
I'm a shameless fan of Kim Ha-neul

20th CENTURY BOYS PART 3 (Japan; 2009)
I was pretty much befuddled by the second one, but I still have to know how it all ends. Here's hoping . . . and thankfully it was only $11.99.

And finally, two more Blu-ray upgrades on sale this week at Canadian Best Buy and HMV stores:
FINAL FANTASY: THE SPIRITS WITHIN $10
EQUILIBRIUM (Canadian edition) $8
Normally EQUILIBRIUM is not something I'd bother upgrading from DVD, but the price was more reasonable enough. Man, I hope that doesn't become a habit! :lol:
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Harlock » Sat May 08, 2010 3:29 pm

IVL103858 Enchantress The (1983) (ordered) is now out of print :(
Harlock

Postby Masterofoneinchpunch » Mon May 10, 2010 4:32 am

Brian Thibodeau wrote: ...MY SON A-CHANG (early Bruce Lee)
A SON IS BORN (ditto)
AN ORPHAN'S TRAGEDY (ditto)
I recall these being mentioned either here or at another forum recently (possibly by Dennis?), but can't remember in what context (a/v quality, perhaps) or find the thread. :( One of my haunts was selling all three of these in a bundle for $23.99, so I'm at least hoping that was a fair price for them.

Well I did do a review on The Guiding Light (aka A Son Is Born) here: http://hkmdb.com/db/movies/reviews.mhtm ... ay_set=eng and we had a little discussion in another thread (some boos on my review :D).
My Amazon Reviews

Masterofoneinchpunch

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Mon May 10, 2010 5:33 am

Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:Well I did do a review on The Guiding Light (aka A Son Is Born) here: http://hkmdb.com/db/movies/reviews.mhtm ... ay_set=eng and we had a little discussion in another thread (some boos on my review :D).

I noticed your review is of the Cinema Epoch edition, which sounds like it features a print that isn't in the best condition. Not that I really care about transfer/restoration quality with films this old—I'm just happy to see it, as always—but I'm curious to know if the HK version utilizes the same rough print. Guess I'll see . . .

I think that thread you mention is the one I'm looking for . . . but can't find! :(
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Thu May 13, 2010 4:08 am

Back to Big Lots last weekend. I'm far too predictable. :? The Michigan store rolled out about five more pallets stuffed with $3 studio DVDs, although it was mostly titles available previously, so I'm guessing these had been sitting in the back for some time. Still, i did find a few bits 'n pieces:

YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU (1938) 8)
TEXAS (1941)
A GOOD DAY FOR A HANGING (1958)
THE CAVE (2005)
MIDNIGHT EAGLE (Japan; 2007)

Also grabbed a few doubles of previous buys, strictly for reselling back home. ;)

And, for kicks:

ELVIS PRESLEY MUSICALS: 4 FILM FAVORITES (Warner):
(KISSIN' COUSINS; TICKLE ME; GIRL HAPPY; LIVE A LITTLE LOVE A LITTLE)
Previously bought the last title as a $3 Big Lots single; liked it enough to get this set when I found in a Canadian bargain bin for $8)
Last edited by Brian Thibodeau on Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Thibodeau

Dum-da-da-dum-da-da-dum-da-da-dum-Bo-nan-zaaaaaa!

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Sat May 22, 2010 2:21 am

Some more bin diving on the way home tonight. I finally convinced one of the regular ladies at Warden Movie & Music that Buy One Get One wasn't the same as Buy One Get One Half Price. Twice previously, she tried to give me the latter "deal" (despite signage to the contrary) and I ended up putting back a modest stack of older DVDs. Tonight, a very helpful co-worker straightened her out with me and all was swell. Thankfully, neither made any fish-eyes at the low-budget weirdness I was buying. :lol:

$5 each:
LOVE INSURANCE (2001)
SLEEPING WITH THE DEAD (2002)
THE ENEMY (2001)
THOSE WERE THE DAYS (1995; Eric Mo/Kent Cheng version)
. . . and, in honor of Bearserk:
TWILIGHT ZONE COPS: GHOST DRIVEN (2002)
TWILIGHT ZONE COPS: MY SPIRITED WIFE (2002)
had the third one, ANGELS MODEL, in my hand, but the packaging didn't say TWILIGHT ZONE COPS so I left it behind. D'oh!
Brian Thibodeau

PreviousNext

Return to Asian Movies