2010: The Digital Movie Bonanza

Discussions on Asian cinemas: Japanese, Korean, Thai, ....

Re: 2010: The Digital Movie Bonanza

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:15 pm

Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:Christopher Guest Collection (A Mighty Wind / Best in Show / Waiting for Guffman) (2003) (six dollars at Big Lots this was awesome)

I'm still kicking myself for not picking this up at Big Lots a couple of months ago. The store had one three-pack in one of the cheap DVD standees, so I figured I'd swing back around and pick it up after I rummaged through the various other racks in the store. And of course I forgot, and didn't remember until I was back in Canada. :? I've seen chunks of all three on TV, and I doubt I'd keep them, but I really wanted to see them in their entirety just to be sure. Snooze ya lose . . .

Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:All Criterion Baby:

I trust many of those were purchased during the recent Deep Discount sale. Prices were almost on par with the Barnes & Noble sale a few weeks back. I had three in my cart (LARGER THAN LIFE, LOLA MONTES and BLACK ORPHEUS) and hesitated just one day too many. Looks like I'm waiting until next year for those now. :cry:

Following: everything you need to know about Christopher Nolan can be found in his first film.

This is especially true in regards to MEMENTO and INCEPTION, and yet all three stand on their own merits, keeping Nolan from seeming like a one-trick pony who simply re-orders sequences for novelty's sake (well, the BATMAN films probably didn't hurt either). I did spot one continuity error in FOLLOWING that probably had me over-thinking the movie's timeline a wee bit too much, and it rather embarrassingly involved the "Young Man's" underwear. In the scene where he robs the safe and must tape the money to his legs and ankles (I believe he forgot a bag to carry it), he's wearing striped underwear, but when he gets back to his apartment to remove the money, he's wearing polka-dot underwear! Furthermore, during the confrontation between the two guys on the rooftop -- which takes place elsewhere in the timeline -- you can see the striped underwear hanging on the laundry line. I think I was applying INCEPTION-level concentration to a film that really didn't require it, as I'm not one to normally care about undergarments in cinema unless they're worn by the fairer sex. :lol: Speaking of which, I watched THE UNBORN the other night; the lead actress's underwear is about the most memorable thing on display (frequently) in that one. Still, onto the sell pile it went.

Shutter Island (2010): this film out to remind you of Inception in some ways :D

When we saw INCEPTION, and having seen SHUTTER ISLAND earlier this year, the one thing we both noticed was the similarity in the music. However, I later stumbled across this helpful little YouTube video that demonstrates that there's much, much more going on with the music in INCEPTION. I'm not a fan of what Hans Zimmer and his assembly line composers have done to cinema scoring overall, but I have to give him props for this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVkQ0C4qDvM
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Masterofoneinchpunch » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:27 pm

Brian Thibodeau wrote: ...
Following: everything you need to know about Christopher Nolan can be found in his first film.

This is especially true in regards to MEMENTO and INCEPTION, and yet all three stand on their own merits, keeping Nolan from seeming like a one-trick pony who simply re-orders sequences for novelty's sake (well, the BATMAN films probably didn't hurt either). I did spot one continuity error in FOLLOWING that probably had me over-thinking the movie's timeline a wee bit too much, and it rather embarrassingly involved the "Young Man's" underwear. In the scene where he robs the safe and must tape the money to his legs and ankles (I believe he forgot a bag to carry it), he's wearing striped underwear, but when he gets back to his apartment to remove the money, he's wearing polka-dot underwear! Furthermore, during the confrontation between the two guys on the rooftop -- which takes place elsewhere in the timeline -- you can see the striped underwear hanging on the laundry line. I think I was applying INCEPTION-level concentration to a film that really didn't require it, as I'm not one to normally care about undergarments in cinema unless they're worn by the fairer sex. :lol: Speaking of which, I watched THE UNBORN the other night; the lead actress's underwear is about the most memorable thing on display (frequently) in that one. Still, onto the sell pile it went.

Actually the Criterion was from the B&N sale; I just have not had time to put it down yet. You snoozed on Christopher Guest Collection :D.

Here's some comments I had on Following on Jim Emerson's blog (as usual he did not respond):

There are quite a bit similarities and themes between Following and Nolan’s later work besides the use of “the twist” and fragmentized chronology. These help not only explain Nolan but the movie as well.

The use of the mentor: Cobb becomes The Young Man’s mentor. Nolan has exploited this relationship later in Inception (the architects with an overriding father figure in Michael Caine) though Batman Begins with Henri Ducard (and Michael Caine as the father figure) is more similar with Ducard and Cobb both later becoming the antagonist. The mentor is also used in The Prestige as well as Michael Caine as the father figure.

The use of the Doppelganger: while Nolan has not used this device anywhere near Johnnie To’s use, it is still a device throughout many of his movies most well known with its literal use (and other implied elements) in The Prestige. The Young Man becomes Cobb through the film (its spelling out of why is another problematic reoccurrence in Nolan’s work as you mentioned earlier that everything is over-explained).

The combination of the mentor/Doppleganger in this film was used later to great affect in Fight Club.

The façade: Following is ultimately about what Memento, The Prestige and Inception (possibly) is about – that what we had thought is an illusion. This I think is why I feel his work can feel pessimistic. Whether we continue the illusion is a different story.

Now I like Nolan (have not seen Insomnia yet; the only one I have not from his directed movies; I am waiting to watch the Criterion release first then Nolan's version). Great catch on the underwear. I did not notice. I love catching continuity mistakes; but usually the only time I see them is when I've seen a film a whole bunch of times or check IMDB first for goofs.

The first time I see a film I usually don't pay as much attention to the score as I should (unless the score is overdone then I have no choice). I try to pay more attention to that in later viewings. But I will keep in mind those two scores later on if I rewatch those films (I will rewatch Inception when it comes to DVD).

I'm going to have to go through this earlier thread on Star Trek talk :D.
My Amazon Reviews

“That’s Icky to Infinity.” – The Tick
Masterofoneinchpunch

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:19 am

Fresh off the plane from Amazon UK (via Amazon FR for whatever reason). You positively can't beat some of the U.K. DVD and box set prices these days, especially after the VAT comes off. Got all of these for £32.77 shipped (about $52 CDN)

POWELL & PRESSBURGER COLLECTION (11 DVD set)
includes A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH, RED SHOES, COLONEL BLIMP, CANTERBURY TALE, I KNOW WHERE I'M GOING, 49th PARALLEL, BATTLE OF THE RIVER PLATE, ILL MET BY MOONLIGHT, THEY'RE A WEIRD MOB, TALES OF HOFFMAN and BLACK NARCISSUS
I've seen five of these via Criterion (and own two on Blu). Figured this would be an affordable way to see which other ones to pick up on Blu when and if they become available.
KNOWING ME KNOWING YOU + KNOWING ME KNOWING YULE with ALAN PARTRIDGE (2 disc)
I'M ALAN PARTRIDGE - SERIES 1 (2 disc)
I'M ALAN PARTRIDGE - SERIES 2 (2 disc)
Got tired of catching only bits of these brilliant shows during my visits home (parents have satellite TV; I don't). Long overdue purchases!

Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:Great catch on the underwear. I did not notice. I love catching continuity mistakes; but usually the only time I see them is when I've seen a film a whole bunch of times or check IMDB first for goofs.

Well, next time you look up the movie's goof's at IMDB, you'll know that's one (the only one, actually) that I've given them. ;)
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:23 pm

Some of you fans of the oldies (and the obscuries) will be happy to learn that Sony has now adopted the WB Archive model for what I assume will be much of their remaining back catalog moving forward. Just a heads up:

Some good stuff here:
http://www.sonypictures.com/homevideo/c ... filter=mod
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Bearserk » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:10 pm

Anything you would like to recommend? :)

Took a quick look through it and the only thing I have seen is the episodes from Hart to Hart, which although was fun when I was little, is not something I would like to ruin more than I already have by re-watching them now.
What little I have seen now is quit horrible :?
Bearserk
Chief Image Editor

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:30 am

Bearserk wrote:Anything you would like to recommend? :)

Took a quick look through it and the only thing I have seen is the episodes from Hart to Hart, which although was fun when I was little, is not something I would like to ruin more than I already have by re-watching them now.
What little I have seen now is quit horrible :?

I don't have a very many TV shows in my collection for this very reason, because I know they're part of a different time in my life, and I rarely need to revisit them again. That's not to say I don't have some TV collections, but most of them tend to be from the U.K., where they know the benefits of keeping top quality series relatively short so they don't have a chance to get run into the ground.

As for the Sony site, one title I'll definitely pick up (preferably on sale) is HOT STUFF, with Dom Deluise, Suzanne Pleshette and Jerry Reed. This was actually a modest hit when it came out in 1979, and it a fairly smart caper movie, with at least one classic Deluise bit, which I posted on YouTube from my old worn out VHS tape:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8bextcivUw

Another one I've long been after is A STUDY IN TERROR (1965) with John Neville as Sherlock Holmes:
http://www.sonypictures.com/homevideo/c ... 3396359543

There are also several noir-ish crime titles I'd grab if the price came down, including THE LONG HAUL, MICKEY ONE, PICKUP ALLEY, etc.

I'm also a sucker for B sci-fi movies like THE NIGHT THE WORLD EXPLODED! :D
http://www.sonypictures.com/homevideo/c ... 3396359604
and THE 27th DAY:
http://www.sonypictures.com/homevideo/c ... 3396354913

With Sony joining Warner, MGM and Universal in the discs-on-demand market, it's only a matter of time before Fox, Paramount and others join in, and THEN it's only a matter of time before all of these wonderful, obscure, never-on-DVD titles will simply be made available for streaming/downloading in some form or other. At the right price for that, I'd watch a lot more of the titles on the list so far.
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:42 am

By the way Bjørn, I saw a Finnish film shot in Norway tonight at the Toronto Film Fest called RARE EXPORTS. Have you heard about this one? Not sure if it's been released there yet, as it's more of a Christmas release, but what an utterly twisted treat! I had no inkling what I was in for, but this thing is epic! Gorgeous winter vistas, great faces across the board with a compelling little kid in the lead, and an utterly original vision of Santa Claus that blows anything American horror film directors (and Tim Burton) have ever done with the character. I'm hoping to get tickets to another screening of it so I can take someone else to see it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RQlikX4vvw
8)
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Bearserk » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:20 am

Not seen or heard about it, but it looked like fun so I will have to check it out when it comes :-)

The finnish are quite good when it comes to movie making, although I haven't strayed to far away from their war movies, apart from their superb Star Trek parody that is :lol:

Star Wreck

Well worth a watch. even for people that are not Trekkies :-)
Sorry about the horrible music they have put in on that trailer, but the other one I found showed way to much of the movie.
Bearserk
Chief Image Editor

Postby Bearserk » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:45 pm

Sherlock Holmes is always a treat, so will have to check out that one, and who can say no to some b-grade sci-fi movies :lol:

Think I will pass on Hot Stuff though, the clip annoyed me more than anything else.
Bearserk
Chief Image Editor

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:20 pm

Bearserk wrote:Think I will pass on Hot Stuff though, the clip annoyed me more than anything else.

Might still be worth seeing, as that clip isn't really indicative of the tone of the overall film, just a favourite among fans of the film. There's a worse clip on the listing for the DVD itself, for some strange reason. They should've at least made trailers available for the listings to give people a better idea of what they're buying. A lot of the clips are rather bland, and seem designed more to give you an idea of basic print quality than anything else.

That STAR WRECK is quite impressive. Looks like they blew their wad on those CGI effects and sets. The actors, I'm guessing, are amateurs, but I must give them credit for mounting such a lavish looking work on what must have been a tiny budget.
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Bearserk » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:24 pm

What annoyed me the most about that clip was the poor poor dubbing, that just seems to scratch me the wrong way each time.

Star Wreck is highly recommended if you have preferably both series, but can also be seen if you have just seen one, as it is mostly for the fans. Granted other people can also enjoy it, but they wont get all the in-jokes which goes on the series.
The acting leaves a lot to be desired to put it mildly, as no-one seems to ever have tried their hand at it before :P
But it is nonetheless great fun.
Bearserk
Chief Image Editor

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:33 pm

Bearserk wrote:What annoyed me the most about that clip was the poor poor dubbing, that just seems to scratch me the wrong way each time.

The movie's not dubbed, so it's probably just a flaw in my recording from crappy old VHS to DVD-R, or some bug in the YouTube playback. ;)
Brian Thibodeau

Postby cal42 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:27 pm

In a seemingly deliberate attempt to annoy everyone :) , I'll shift my ongoing bit on the "What Asian films..." thread to here.

My Kurosawa Fever is not letting up, and I've decided the only remedy is (like Shawn said) get some (more) Criterion releases. Therefore, today I ordered:

The First Films of Akira Kurosawa:
Sugata Sanshiro
The Most Beautiful
Sugata Sanshiro II
The Men Who Tread on the Tiger's Tail

And:

Postwar Kurosawa:
No Regrets For Our Youth
One Wonderful Sunday
Scandal
The Idiot
I Live in Fear

This has made me a bit more confident in having a decent viewing experience for these movies. I've also been given a few films thanks to doing some work on my blog:

14 Blades
Brother (Beat Takeshi)
City of Life and Death
Connected (Benny Chan)
Heroes of the East - the only blog in the world with the world famous Lam Suet-o-meter!
cal42

Postby Masterofoneinchpunch » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:18 pm

^ great films up there. I still need to see Kurosawa's earliest. I'm going to have to online them since no store near here has them for sale.

BL = Big Lots

The Good, The Bad, The Weird: Just noticed I never put this down on my list. Just watched.
Trouble Along The Way (1953) BL
Tycoon (1947) BL
The Getaway (1972) BD: This is an upgrade.
The Black Cauldron: 25th Anniversary Special Edition (1985): Best Buy came with an extra bag with it.
The Contract (HK): Looking forward to this one.
The Odd One Dies (HK) OOP
Fists of Vengeance - Martial Arts Collection: Got just for Crippled Masters
Derailed/In Hell/Wake of Death: 5 dollars at Best Buy, all full screen though.
The Return of the 5 Deadly Venoms aka Crippled Avengers (HK: Dragon Dynasty): Awesome of course.
Chaser (Korea): No idea
Raging Phoenix (2009: Thailand): I hope this has some good action like Chocolate.
War Wagon: Damn fun. Great western.
Cabiria (Kino)
Marvel Heroes Collection (Daredevil, Elektra, X-Men, X2, X-Men 3: The Last Stand, Fantastic Four & Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer)
Clean Slate BL: I think I've seen this a few times.
Tales of the Gold Monkey (TV Series): I originally saw this when it aired. I hope it is still good :).
Village of the Damned/Children of the Damned BL: Definitely important missing horror film from my collection/knowledge.
Café Lumiere (Taiwan) BL
The Duel (HK): The bodycount was insane. Cheh was exorcising some demons on this one.
Invincible Shaolin (1978: HK):Already seen Venoms films. Awesome.
Shaolin Prince (HK): Already seen; quite fun.
Centre Stage (HK): Really looking forward too.
Entre Nous: BL I think
The Kid Stays in the Picture: 75 cents at Marshalls
Deal (2008): 75 cents at Marshalls
Morons from Outer Space: 2 dollars at FYE
The Kennedy Mystique - Creating Camelot BL
Troublesome Creek (Documentary) BL
The Crook BL
Green Berets BL
Blood Alley/Sea Chase (1955) BL
The Last Wave (Criterion)
Coup De torchon (Criterion): This is my second OOP copy.
Russian Ark: The Masterworks Edition (2002) OOP
The Avengers - The Complete Emma Peel Megaset (2006 Collector's Edition) (1966)
Mongol BD: upgrade
House of Flying Daggers () HK/China BD upgrade
Wushu (2009: Hong Kong)
Legend of the Shadowless Sword () Korea
Memento (2-Disc): I bought just so a friend could borrow :D. I do like this film though.
Rio Grande (): Important John Ford/John Wayne film I was missing.
The Crucifer of Blood (): I know Charlton Heston is possibly out of his element, but still interested.
My Amazon Reviews

Masterofoneinchpunch

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:48 am

:D

Just logged in to list a nice little haul from Big Lots this past weekend, and it looks like someone else hit the BL bins as well! Wish some of your finds were at my MIchigan haunt. Still, I did find these:

THE KING OF KONG: A FISTFUL OF QUARTERS
BERRY GORDY'S THE LAST DRAGON (figured it was finally time to break down and watch this thing)
HORROR DOUBLE FEATURE: IT / THE SHUTTERED ROOM (Roddy McDowall / Gig Young)
THE FOLLOWING (my third BL copy - these $3 investments fetch $35+ up here! :lol: )
CHARLIE WILSON'S WAR (Tom Hanks)
POSSESSED (Joan Crawford, Van Heflin)
GOLD DIGGERS IN PARIS (Rudy Vallee, Rosemary Lane)
GOLD DIGGERS OF 1937 (Dick Powell, Joan Blondell)
3 GODFATHERS (John Wayne, John Ford)
BIG JIM McLAIN (was really hoping to find this one cheap some day - the Duke hunts commies in Hawaii! :lol: )

... and three more Elvis movies. Can't get enough of these! :D

JAILHOUSE ROCK (1957)
DOUBLE TROUBLE (1966)
IT HAPPENED AT THE WORLD'S FAIR (1963)

Just watching WORLD'S FAIR tonight and it's by far one of the best Elvis movies I've seen (and thanks to Big Lots and my own earlier pickups, I've seen quite a few!). Many of his collaborations with Norman Taurog tend to be his most entertaining, and this one's a fascinating time capsule, to boot, with major sequences filmed at the 1962 Seattle World's Fair. Instead of Elvis shooting his close-ups on Hollywood soundstages while a double walked around the fair (as was common in many of his movies), they actually took him on location, where he enjoys an eye-filling tour with adorable little Vicky Tiu, the future First Lady of Hawaii. Her triple-threat sisters Ginny, Elizabeth and brother Alexander were in Taurog's previous Elvis movie GIRLS! GIRLS! GIRLS!, where the sisters were a twisting-and-giggling addition to an already awesome climactic musical number set to the movie's title track. The foursome achieved a respectable level of success in the 60's as The Ginny Tiu Review, with at least six albums to their credit. I'll give the makers of the Elvis movies credit for their inclusive, non-stereotypical portrayals of Asians (and Latinos/Hispanics, among others) in movies like PARADISE HAWAIIAN STYLE, SPEEDWAY and the two movies mentioned above, even while other directors were amusing themselves with the likes of Mickey Rooney in bottle-bottom glasses and buck teeth.

Some recent Blu-Ray purchases:

BOGO at Deep Discount ($10 ea. or less):
PANDORA & THE FLYING DUTCHMAN (Kino; James Mason, Ava Gardner)
STEAMBOAT BILL JR. (Kino; Buster Keaton)
CLIFFHANGER (upgrade)
JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS
RESIDENT EVIL (upgrade)
CHARLIE'S ANGELS (upgrade)

$10 at Best Buy
THE MARINE (upgrade and shameful guilty pleasure)
WANTED
WATERWORLD (debating this one; might sell)

$7.99 at Best Buy
ERASER (upgrade)
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:05 am

More $3 Big Lots cheapness:

DECOYS (2003)
Watched this tonight; better than I would have expected for a Canadian film! :lol:
HOLLYWOOD HOTEL (1937; Dick Powell, Rosemary Lane)
OLD ACQUAINTANCE (1943; Bette Davis)
TOKYO GODFATHERS (2003; Japan; Animated)
THE HAND (1980; Michael Caine)
HOUSE OF WAX (1953; Vincent Price)
This also includes 1933 version of MYSTERY OF THE WAX MUSEUM -- mainly bought this for the latter, since the '53 version is included in one of my TCM 4 packs
PRESENTING LILY MARS (1943; Judy Garland; Van Heflin)
ZOMBIE STRIPPERS (2008; Robert Englund, Jenna Jameson) Well, wouldn't you?

$5.00 from BL:
IT CAME FROM BENEATH THE SEA (1955; Kenneth Tobey, Faith Domergue)
Would prefer this on Blu, but don't want the entire boxed set it's currently part of)

Also:

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST: DIAMOND EDITION BLU-RAY

EDIT: Forgot to include some recent Criterion sign-outs from the library:

GOMORRAH
IKIRU
BEAUTY & THE BEAST
PICNIC AT HANGING ROCK
ACE IN THE HOLE
COUP DE TORCHON

Might get BEAUTY (which I'd seen years ago) and IKIRU on Blu-ray if they ever become available, the rest were well worth seeing, but I'm happy with that.
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:51 am

Hong Kong/Asian purchases from the past couple of months.
Lots of scrounging to get decent prices on as much of this as possible:

Newer stuff:
HOT SUMMER DAYS (2010)
TRIPLE TAP (2010)
IP MAN 2 (2010)
ADVENTURE OF THE KING (2010)
THE JADE AND THE PEARL (2010)
THE FANTASTIC WATER BABES (2010 -- or is that 2008? ;) )
FLIRTING SCHOLAR 2 (2010) :|
LA COMEDIE HUMAINE (2010)
GALLANTS (2010)
THE LEGEND IS BORN - IP MAN (2010)
OCEAN HEAVEN (2010)
KUNG FU HIP HOP 2 (2010)
LOVE IN A PUFF (2010)
ZOOM HUNTING (2010; Taiwan)

More odds 'n ends (Legendary Collection DVDs):
CHINATOWN CAPERS (1974)
TRUANT HERO (1992)
MR. FORTUNE (1989)
PORKY'S MEATBALLS (1987)
SUPERNORMAL (1992)
FANTASY ROMANCE (1991)

A few more knowledge-gap fillers (definitely late to the party as usual with these oldies):
NOBODY EVER CHEATS (1994)
TIGER CAGE 3 (1991)
EVERY DOG HAS HIS DATE (2001)
THE CRAZY GROUP (1975)
ALL IN THE FAMILY (1975)

Some Shaw discs scrounged at three local haunts:
THE SHADOW WHIP (1971)
WEST CHAMBER (1965)
TWO CON MEN (1975)
VENUS TEAR DIAMOND (1971)
THE PROTECTORS (1975) A quick spin revealed this to be 62 minutes long! Hmmm . . .
THE ENCHANTING SHADOW (1960)
THE BLUE AND THE BLACK PART 1 (1966)
THE BLUE AND THE BLACK PART 2 (1966)
MR. FUNNY BONE (1976)
MR. FUNNY BONE STRIKES AGAIN (1978)
LES BELLES (1961)
A FRIEND FROM INNER SPACE (1984)
THE MONKEY GOES WEST (1966)
THE BIG STING (1984)
DESTINY'S CHAMPION (1984)

VCD's:
DEVIL SHADOW (2000)
MAD STYLIST (1997)
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:39 pm

I pre-ordered Arrow Releasing's upcoming BATTLE ROYALE 3-disc Blu-ray special edition from Amazon UK and figured it was worth sharing here as the price is liable to go up due to its limited availability of 5000 copies and what I've read is a tremendous spike in sales at Amazon now that the abundant special features and all-region status have been announced.

Amazon Listing
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003ZIZ2HK/
Price is £14.99, but drops a couple of £'s for North American buyers, bringing the final tally with shipping to £15.84 (just over $25 U.S.)

Contents (swiped from Cult Labs forums):
3 DISC LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY SET FEATURES:

- BRAND NEW RESTORED TRANSFER IN GLORIOUS HIGH DEFINITION 1080P OF BOTH FILMS

- BRAND NEW SUBTITLE TRANSLATION ON BOTH FEATURES

- LIMITED EDITION PACKAGING NUMBERED #/5000 WITH CERTIFICATE

- LIMITED EDITION EXCLUSIVE SPECIAL FEATURES

DISC 1 – THEATRICAL CUT: SPECIAL FEATURES

- ORIGINAL THEATRICAL TRAILER

- THE MAKING OF BATTLE ROYALE: THE EXPERIENCE OF 42 HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS

- CONDUCTING BATTLE ROYALE WITH THE WARSAW NATIONAL PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA

DISC 2 – SPECIAL EDITION [DIRECTOR’S CUT]: SPECIAL FEATURES

- SPECIAL EDITION TRAILER

- TV SPOT: TARANTINO VERSION

- SHOOTING THE SPECIAL EDITION

- TAKESHI KITANO INTERVIEW

- THE CORRECT WAY TO MAKE BATTLE ROYALE [BIRTHDAY VERION]

- TOKYO INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL PRESENTATION

DISC 3 – SPECIAL FEATURES

- OPENING DAY AT MARU NO UCHI TOEI MOVIE THEATRE

- THE SLAUGHTER OF 42 HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS

- PREMIERE PRESS CONFERENCE

- THE CORRECT WAY TO FIGHT IN BATTLE ROYALE

- ROYALE REHEARSALS

- MASAMICHI AMANO CONDUCTS BATTLE ROYALE

SPECIAL EFFECTS COMPARISON

- BEHIND THE SCENES FEATURETTE

- FILMING ON SET

- TV SPOTS, PROMOS AND COMMERCIALS

- KINJI FUKASAKU TRAILER REEL

36 PAGE BOOKLET INCLUDING:

- ‘A BATTLE WITHOUT AN END’ BY TOM MES, AUTHOR OF ‘THE MIDNIGHT EYE GUIDE TO NEW JAPANESE FILM’

- PRINTED INTERVIEW WITH DIRECTOR KINJI FUKASAKU

- ‘TODAY’S LESSON IS... YOU KILL EACH OTHER’ BY JAY MCROY, AUTHOR OF ‘JAPANESE HORROR CINEMA’ [LE EXCLUSIVE]

- EXTRACT FROM KOUSHUN TAKAMI’S ORIGINAL NOVEL [LE EXCLUSIVE]

- ORIGINAL PROMOTIONAL MATERIAL INCLUDING DIRECTOR’S STATEMENT, CAST AND CREW BIOGS [LE EXCLUSIVE]

16 PAGE BOOKLET INCLUDING:

- CONCEPT ARTWORK AND DRAWINGS FOR THE LIMITED EDITION SET [LE EXCLUSIVE]

5X7” POSTCARDS OF STILLS FROM THE FILM [LE EXCLUSIVE]

FOLD-OUT REVERSIBLE POSTER OF ORIGINAL ARTWORK
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Masterofoneinchpunch » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:43 pm

Eclipse Series 23: The First Films of Akira Kurosawa (The Criterion Collection) (Sanshiro Sugata / The Most Beautiful / Sanshiro Sugata, Part Two / The Men Who Tread on the Tiger's Tail): Finally bought.
Creature from the Black Lagoon - The Legacy Collection (Creature from the Black Lagoon / Revenge of the Creature / The Creature Walks Among Us): I have actually seen all three, but I wanted my own copy. Funny seeing Clint Eastwood in an early role.
The Richard Pryor Collection (Which Way is Up?/ Brewster`s Millions/ Car Wash/ Bustin` Loose)
Classic Quad set 17 (Fantastic Voyage, The Lost World, The Towering Inferno, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea)
Classic Quad Set 12: Desert Rats/12 O'Clock High/Von Ryan's Express/The Young Lions
How to Train Your Dragon BD/DVD: I'm actually looking forward to watching this.
Beauty and the Beast BD/DVD Target Exclusive: I saw this three times in the theater and once on VHS.
Flubber (1997): Haven't seen since theater.
The Wild Bunch BD: 3 dollars
Erik the Viking (The Director’s Son’s Cut): I've read many mixed reviews on this. I do like having ex-Python films though.
In Harm’s Way: an older copy, but still wanted to see an Otto directed John Wayne film.
The Sidney Poitier Collection (Edge of the City / Something of Value / A Patch of Blue / A Warm December): BL: awesome deal there. Six dollars.
Old Dogs (BD)
The Absent Minded Professor (Disney): Already seen, next will be Son of Flubber.
The Wings of Eagles: Bought in Anaheim during trip.
The Horse Soldiers: Bought in Anaheim during trip.
The 47 Loyal Ronin (Japan): Bought in Anaheim during trip.
The Lost World (includes the silent movie version): the silent movie version is a shorter version than the "other" restored Image release, but it does have different footage in some scenes.
Fanfan la Tulipe (Criterion)
Europa (Criterion)
The Defiant Ones (1958): OOP; actually quite expensive since Curtis's death. Great film though.
Vengeance Trilogy (Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance/Oldboy/Lady Vengeance) [Blu-ray]
This is Kung Fu HK?/China
The Picture of Dorian Gray (1945): This was quite awesome.
Dracula: Dead and Loving It (1995): Already watch again.
Satan’s Slave/Corpse Master (?/HK): OOP
The Omega Man BD: must have Heston sci-fi films in BD.
Along Came Polly / Reality Bites / Mystery Men (Triple Feature): BL. I want to rewatch Reality Bites, the other two I've seen several times.
Iron Man 2 Target Exclusive: already seen; not quite as good as the first but I still enjoyed it.

And forgot to add the Thai film: The Legend of the Tsunami Warrior. I'm looking forward to this more than I would like to admit :D.
My Amazon Reviews

Masterofoneinchpunch

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:55 pm

For those who don't mind pro-grade DVD-R's--which are pretty much the ONLY way you'll ever see these films until they're some day made available for streaming--WB Shop is having a fantastic sale on bundled sets of their Warner Archive titles, with most titles in the bundles working out to the magical $10 price point. Some nice silent collections in there too, Shawn. ;)

http://www.wbshop.com/Value-Paks/WAVALU ... d1=1&sz=44

My budget has allowed just one set so far, the Political Proganda bundle, mainly because of Glenn Erickson's informative reviews of three of them at DVD Savant:

CONFESSIONS OF A NAZI SPY
THE MASTER RACE
MISSION TO MOSCOW
THE MORTAL STORM
THEY WON'T FORGET
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:05 am

Just a heads-up (for those who still peruse this thread) that U.S. bookseller Barnes & Noble is having their semi-annual 50% Off Criterion Collection sale. If you buy via the "library" link below (one of many the company uses, each with differing benefits), you'll get an additional 10% off. They don't get much cheaper than this (although if you purchase a membership, I'm told you get $5.00 off in-store coupons, which makes them even more of a bargain). 8)

http://www.bn.com/library
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Taijikid » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:18 am

Thanks for the notification regarding the Criterion sale, Brian. I am definitely interested, although storage considerations and a slim wallet are real problems for me.

Please don't think that the forum posts go unread. I visit this site regularly and benefit from both the reviews and the goodwill. But I have to admit that after gazing at those long lists of acquisitions, sometimes I wonder whether you and your buddies still have space to sit in your homes.

Vicki
Taijikid

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:38 pm

Taijikid wrote:Thanks for the notification regarding the Criterion sale, Brian. I am definitely interested, although storage considerations and a slim wallet are real problems for me.

Please don't think that the forum posts go unread. I visit this site regularly and benefit from both the reviews and the goodwill. But I have to admit that after gazing at those long lists of acquisitions, sometimes I wonder whether you and your buddies still have space to sit in your homes.

Vicki

:D

Thanks for chiming in Vicki. Good to know there are more than just the handful of regular shoppers still lurking around!

Here's my "secret": I sell off most of what I buy!

A lot of what I list here are titles I buy ultra-cheap (thanks to endless U.S. online sales and the Big Lots bargain bins when I cross the border) just so I can finally see them and check them off both my mental and online wishlists! My "permanent collection" is more or less finished, and even then, I find myself increasingly willing to sell off bits and pieces of it if the price is right, while selectively upgrading key titles to Blu-ray (which will be the last disc-based format any of us will ever see) and selling the original DVDs. My Blu-ray collection is small, but very carefully chosen and almost entirely purchased during sales, price-reductions or at second-hand shops. I'd guestimate that I keep roughly 10% - 15% of everything else I purchase these days

With the DVD market dwindling, and Canada being a sparsely populated country where selection is anemic everywhere but in the big cities, I rarely wait long for someone from St. John's to Victoria to nibble at my listings on Amazon.ca's Marketplace, and the cheap prices I pay in the states for pretty much everything means I usually make a profit on resales because the Canadian site isn't as crowded as the U.S. one. I've got another five discs going out today as a matter of fact!

Another secret: Toronto's well-stocked library system makes it even easier to fill in knowledge gaps, as their entire inventory is online for reservations, and there's a branch across the street from my building. Most of the discs I've signed out (including some of their 300+ Criterions) look like they've been through the wringer :( , but as long as they play, I'm satisfied.

Most of my Hong Kong movies aren't stored in my home, so that saves space as well. Once I get back to watching them with more regularity (and upping my contributions to the database), they'll move back in, in waves, with most undoubtedly getting sold off (if that's even possible in a city still flooded with Asian bootlegs), donated to the library, or (I'm hoping) traded to some kind folks here for more obscure stuff I haven't seen (and yes, that's a bald-faced appeal to "Teddy Wong" and "Bearserk", among others! :lol: )

EDIT: I haven't splurged on the B&N Criterion sale yet, as my wallet gets pretty slim this time of year too! I've got six in my cart, and I keep staring at them a few times a day, but haven't pulled the trigger . . . yet! :lol:
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:52 am

Speaking of buying cheap . . .

A new-ish bargain bin of mostly low-grade DVD titles at a local Canadian Tire department store on the way home from work tonight yielded a few Asian dust-collectors for the princely sum of $1.67 per disc (part of a 3/$5 deal, but they all rang up at the individual price). As expected, these won't likely be kept once they're viewed, but for that price . . .

KUNG-FU THEATRE DOUBLE FEATURE (2-disc; BCI)
MR. X (19??) / NINJA CONNECTION (1986)
Two Godrey Ho patchwork jobs. The pictures on the sleeve for MR. X feature Michael Chan Wai-man and Jimmy Lung Fong, as well as "leading man" Joe Lewis. My curiosity is piqued!
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000B8IAIK/

EASTERN HORROR DOUBLE FEATURE (2-disc; BCI)
TALES FROM THE EAST (1990) / RETURN OF THE EVIL FOX (1991)
I've seen the first one, but not the second, nor have I been able to find it before now
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EGDARA/

SHAOLIN DOUBLE FEATURE (Rarescope-BCI)
SHAOLIN VS. TAI CHI (1983) / SHAOLIN VS. NINJA (1983)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0011YZVOO/

SONNY CHIBA DOUBLE FEATURE (2-disc; Rarescope-BCI)
FIGHTING FIST (1992) / SOUL OF BRUCE LEE (1977; aka SOUL OF CHIBA)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0012YO1LC/

CRIME TIME COLLECTION: FILM NOIR DOUBLE FEATURE (BCI - Crown International)
CARNIVAL OF CRIME (1964) / THE HOSTAGE (1967)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FGFUJK/
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:03 am

Picked these up a couple of weeks ago and neglected to include them in this thread earlier. As always, prices included in case anyone's looking for a good deal:

From the Big Lots racks:

BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI (2 disc SE) $5
THE TROUBLE WITH HARRY (Hitchcock) $5
A NEW KIND OF LOVE (Paul Newman, Joanne Woodward) $3
THE PRIZE-WINNER OF DEFIANCE OHIO (Julianne Moore) $3
Watched PRIZE-WINNER last night. Compelling little period piece based on the true story of a strong-willed housewife and mother-of-ten (Julianne Moore) who keeps the roof over her family's head almost entirely by dint of her knack at winning corporate jingle contests in the 1950's, no thanks to her self-loathing alcoholic of a husband (Woody Harrelson). Strong performances (even by Harrelson, who I'm not normally partial toward) and excellent attention to the detail of the era. The final sequence tips too far into schmaltz, but it's forgivable. I was impressed that they found such period-appropriate little villages to double as Defiance, as well as how much the locations reminded me of various villages I've been to in this region of Canada. Hardly surprising, then, that the movie was actually shot in several little towns I've visited not too far from Toronto. No wonder everything looked so familiar! :D

$9.99 each at Target:

FOX 75th 4-Film Collection:
FANTASTIC VOYAGE
THE LOST WORLD
VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA
TOWERING INFERNO

ON THE AVENUE
PIN UP GIRL
YOU'RE IN THE NAVY NOW
SOMETHING FOR THE BOYS

MOVE OVER DARLING
O. HENRY'S FULL HOUSE
RALLY 'ROUND THE FLAG BOYS
ON THE RIVIERA

$13 at Target:
NINJA ASSASSIN (Blu-ray + DVD Combo)
Saw this at the theatre and was rather impressed! As non-Japanese ninja movies go, it's probably one of the best, even if it is one of the few!

Recent library signouts:
HOPSCOTCH, DIVORCE ITALIAN STYLE, THAT OBSCURE OBJECT OF DESIRE, THE RIVER, SANJURO (all Criterion)
THE OLD DARK HOUSE (Kino SE)
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Masterofoneinchpunch » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:58 pm

Brian Thibodeau wrote:...Recent library signouts:
HOPSCOTCH, DIVORCE ITALIAN STYLE, THAT OBSCURE OBJECT OF DESIRE, THE RIVER, SANJURO (all Criterion)
THE OLD DARK HOUSE (Kino SE)

I have seen all but HOPSCOTCH of those films (I do own it though). DIVORCE ITALIAN STYLE was a big surprise for me. Great black Sicilian comedy. Actually all of those films are good in one way or another. THE RIVER is dated in some aspects, but the beauty of JEAN RENOIR's direction really does help. I'm a huge fan of THE OLD DARK HOUSE as well, but I think you know my love of Boris Karloff films and Charles Laughton (though I don't know if I've mentioned that here before).

I liked NINJA ASSASSIN for what it was (a lot more than several at KUNGFUCINEMA.COM; not always sure what their criteria for liking a film is). It ended up being a successful lend to a few people so I was happy about that as well. Do you lend much Brian (or Cal)? I try to as much as I can. Almost like I'm a library. But I always get a good feeling when someone opens up to something they might not have originally.

It is always interesting when you see places you know on film. So much of the San Francisco based film shoots locations that I'm quite familiar with. I do wish things were occasionally shot in Modesto :D. Yes even AMERICAN GRAFFITI (and the second) was not shot here (though Lucas used the street names in the film so I know where they all are). Heck even MONSTERS AND ALIENS took place in Modesto and nothing looked like Modesto while San Francisco looked like San Francisco (bastards) I know of at least one film that is shot in this county (DODGE CITY) but a heck of a lot has been shot in Tuolumne County (Sonora) mainly because of the old west atmosphere and steam engine train (the amount of times that train has been in film is amazing).
My Amazon Reviews

Masterofoneinchpunch

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:51 pm

Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:I have seen all but HOPSCOTCH of those films (I do own it though). DIVORCE ITALIAN STYLE was a big surprise for me. Great black Sicilian comedy. Actually all of those films are good in one way or another. THE RIVER is dated in some aspects, but the beauty of JEAN RENOIR's direction really does help. I'm a huge fan of THE OLD DARK HOUSE as well, but I think you know my love of Boris Karloff films and Charles Laughton (though I don't know if I've mentioned that here before).

Just watched DIVORCE last night, actually. Very cynical and highly entertaining. I would probably get a Blu-ray of that one if it ever makes the jump.

I actually watched the Bookmark documentary about Rumer Godden included on the DVD of THE RIVER before watching the film itself, which certainly added layers to the experience, as much of what's in the book/movie seem to correlate directly to her formative years in India. Not one I feel the need to own, but a superb package altogether.

Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:I liked NINJA ASSASSIN for what it was (a lot more than several at KUNGFUCINEMA.COM; not always sure what their criteria for liking a film is). It ended up being a successful lend to a few people so I was happy about that as well.

Ahh, the joys of internet discussion forums! So many differing levels of experience that you can hardly trust anyone! :lol: I knew going into NINJA ASSASSIN in the theatre that it would at least have the benefit of the largest budget probably ever afforded an American film dedicated to the subject (it's certainly the most expensive one Sho Kosugi's ever been in!), and a strong crew behind the camera. I thought the rigorous attention to detail/methodology/set construction was far better than just about any ninja movies I've seen outside of Japan, and possibly a great many I've seen from within Japan. I think Rain has limitations as an actor, but in the right roles -- such as this and SPEED RACER -- he holds his own, and he's surrounded here with a solid Asian-American cast, which is itself an impressive feat. I remember reading some reviews (forum comments somewhere perhaps?) beefing about the CGI blood, but I had no problem with it considering such geysers were inherently fake even when they did them with practical hose effects in the Japanese samurai movies of the 1960's and 1970's. Good fun, and it looks spectacular on Blu.

Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:Do you lend much Brian (or Cal)? I try to as much as I can. Almost like I'm a library. But I always get a good feeling when someone opens up to something they might not have originally.

Not much these days. In the early days of DVD, I shared a bit more with a couple of friends who were also building collections and took care of their s**t as well as I took care of mine. It helped that DVD was finally making movies available to us -- in the right aspect ration, with supplements, etc. -- that we'd been reading about for decades but were often unable to find on VHS (and in retrospect, I'm glad we didn't). I loaned movies to family members a handful of times, but when the tape boxes came back crushed or the discs came back scratched, which was every time, I cut them off! I even had to cut off my own girlfriend after constantly getting scratched-up discs back from her. :| I did loan my Blu-ray of CHOCOLATE to a co-worker on the strength of her raves for various martial arts movies she'd seen (she's no film junkie, but she at least appreciates international action movies, so that's cool enough in my book).
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:09 am

Found this for $7.98 at Wal-Mart tonight.

FIGHT DRAGON: THE COMPLETE SERIES (3-disc set; Mill Creek)

This is a 1974 Japanese TV series (aka TATAKAE! DRAGON) starring Yasuaki Kurata. The set contains 26 half-hour episodes and features such other "famous Japanese martial artists" as Bruce Liang, Yang Sze and Bolo Yeung (wow, both of them, no less?! :lol: ). The photos on the packaging and a couple of episode titles suggest this was at least partially shot in Hong Kong (hooray!) among other Asian locales.

Here's the opening credits . . .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czp1XBv4dHE

. . . and fight excerpts between Kurata and Liang.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkj83WHVwRc

I think this was briefly released by the late BCI at a higher price point about a year or two ago. Most of their Japanese TV shows have acquired by Mill Creek apparently, and occasionally condensed onto fewer discs, but for $8, I can't complain. The U.S. Amazon still lists this set at $14.99, but I'm betting it'll turn up on the bargain racks soon enough, just as it has up here. :D

Of note:
There's a very good review of the series at IMDB (the longer one of the two) that reveals that five episodes of this were edited into a "badly dubbed" feature film called THE FIGHTING DRAGON, which is in the HKMDB. Guess we can now add some additional information to it, and time permitting, I can get a gallery from the appropriate episodes that were used to make the movie.

Brian Thibodeau

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:28 pm

Oh my aching wallet. Gonna lay low in the new year, I suspect, but now that America's Black Friday has mutated from a day to a full week :shock: , there are just too many good deals to resist:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=s9_dnav_bw_ ... i=12917411

More deals at Amazon all week long, in all departments naturally. Why people line up at the stores on Friday is beyond me . . .

Hope you folks will find some goodies in that link. :D
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Masterofoneinchpunch » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:16 pm

Brian Thibodeau wrote:Oh my aching wallet. Gonna lay low in the new year, I suspect, but now that America's Black Friday has mutated from a day to a full week :shock: , there are just too many good deals to resist:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=s9_dnav_bw_ ... i=12917411

More deals at Amazon all week long, in all departments naturally. Why people line up at the stores on Friday is beyond me . . .

Hope you folks will find some goodies in that link. :D

Yeah no kidding. Thanks for the link though. I've spent a bit too much, but part of that is I've started on gifts as well (technically I start on gifts right after Christmas, but being doing more online this month for people).

The Magic Flute Criterion
…And God Created Woman Criterion
Only Son/There Was A Father Criterion
Night and the City Criterion
Fishing With John Criterion
3 Silent Classics by Josef Von Sternberg Criterion
The Red Shoes Criterion: Gift; already seen
For All Mankind Criterion: Gift; already have both DVD and BD.
Romper Stomper
Tales from the Crypt/Vault of Horror (Midnight Movies)
Jerry Lewis - The Legendary Jerry Collection (The Bellboy / Cinderfella / The Delicate Delinquent / The Disorderly Orderly / The Errand Boy / The Family Jewels / The Ladies Man / The Nutty Professor / The Patsy / The Stooge) (1964) OOP (this is my second copy; might be a gift; got it for about 10 dollars)
A Hero Never Dies (HK): Looking forward to; more Johnnie To for me.
Peking Opera Blues (Remastered Fortune Star): I'm actually looking forward to this; one of the more important HK films I have not seen.
The Scent of Green Papaya (R0 + Soundtrack): 2 dollars from HKFLIX (it was a spotlight sale, plus another sale on top of it)
Twin Dragons (R1): Already seen on VHS; but wanted US copy.
Fatal Move (2008: HK)
Yo Yo Girl Cop (Japan)
House by the River (Kino): Fritz Lang
Bob Hope Tribute Collection - Monsieur Beaucaire / Where There's Life Double Feature
The Gnome Mobile (Disney: 1967)
Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief [Blu-ray] (2010)
Marmaduke [Blu-ray] (2010)
Classic Quad 13 (On the Avenue, Pin Up Girl, Something For The Boys, You’re In The Navy Now)
No Way Out/Company Business
Fire (India): OOP
18 Fingers of Death: Have not heard good things about it.
Toy Story 3 (4-disc BD/DVD)
Joseph King of Dreams (Dreamworks)
Something Wicked This Way Comes (1983)
The Rescuers (Disney)
Classic Quad 16 (The Alligator People, The Cabinet of Caligari, The Fly, House of the Damned)
Birdman of Alcatraz/Elmer Gantry
The Bounty/Kings of the Sun
The Yellow Rolls-Royce
8 Diagram Pole Fighter (1984: HK): Great MA film
Fireball (2009: Thailand): Hope you read my review :D
The Karate Kid (BD/DVD): yeah yeah; JC; not sure when I will get to it.
My Amazon Reviews

Masterofoneinchpunch

PreviousNext

Return to Asian Movies