2009: The Digital Chivvy

Discussions on Asian cinemas: Japanese, Korean, Thai, ....

Re: 2009: The Digital Chivvy

Postby Masterofoneinchpunch » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:00 pm

cal42 wrote:Re: Curse of the Pink Panther
... I prefer to think of the franchise ending with Sellers' death. ...
No, I can't belive I said that either :P .

I tend to think of Revenge of the Pink Panther as the last (ignoring the put together scenes of Trail ...). On a side note Pink Panther Strikes Again is one of my favorite films of all time.

I also tend to think of Being There as his last film (ignoring the condition he was in for the Fu Manchu film :().

Does your dog bite? :D
My Amazon Reviews

“That’s Icky to Infinity.” – The Tick
Masterofoneinchpunch

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:27 am

cal42 wrote:Re: Curse of the Pink Panther
It's perhaps the most damning indication of the film's quality that that scene you're refering to, Brian, with the inflatable toy was used quite heavily to promote the film over here - I distinctly remember seeing it a few times on TV at the time. I prefer to think of the franchise ending with Sellers' death.

Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:I tend to think of Revenge of the Pink Panther as the last (ignoring the put together scenes of Trail ...). On a side note Pink Panther Strikes Again is one of my favorite films of all time.

CURSE is one of those rare movies that makes me more frustrated each time I think about it. I had to see it to be a completist, but what a sad, sad piece of work. Blake Edwards' best work was behind him at this point, and the films that followed this one were only modest improvements. But after the reasonable successes of 10, S.O.B. and VICTOR/VICTORIA, you'd think the last thing he'd need to do was try to squeeze more money out of the PANTHER series with such poorly-made efforts as TRAIL and CURSE. They're both equally bad in my eyes, but TRAIL has that unique distinction of posthumously integrating the Peter Sellers outtakes from the previous three pictures, which is fairly distasteful (as Sellers widow would eventually prove in court) although it undeniably gave us one last chance to see a master at work, if only in second-rate material. CURSE doesn't even have grave-robbing on its side, and it's done up with production values that might make you think the series was taken over by Cannon Pictures.

I have a feeling the new Steve Martin PANTHERs are technically adept, but as much as I like him in certain types of roles, there's absolutely nothing about Steve Martin's performance as seen in the trailers that makes me want to watch them. I just think the role should, at the very least, be played by a true European. No one will ever replace Sellers (except maybe in the minds of those too young to remember or appreciate his work in context), but at least having someone . . . continental in the role would be a step in the right direction, rather than an aging American snivelling around under a fake mustache. I actually thought Roberto Benigni was a clever and unexpected choice to inherit the series in SON OF THE PINK PANTHER (though the novelty of him certainly would have worn off if they had done more pictures in the series), and the film was a visual improvement over TRAIL and CURSE, but Edwards' sense of funny was about fifteen years out of date by 1993.

But basically, as you guys have said, the series ends with Sellers death. REVENGE wasn't the greatest, but it was significantly better than anything that came after it. Plus it was partly filmed in Hong Kong, so that should be a nice bonus for some of us here. 8)
Last edited by Brian Thibodeau on Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:49 am

More chivvy finds. A visit to the fambly at Easter allowed for another jaunt across the border, this time to the Big Lots DVD bargain rack (ohhh, the shame!) to pick up these factory-sealed originals at $3 (US) a pop :!: :

BRAINSTORM (1983)
EATING RAOUL (1982)
MEMORIES (Otomo) (1995)
PRINCE OF THE CITY (1981)
YEAR OF THE DRAGON (1985)
A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS (1966)
TSUI HARK'S VAMPIRE HUNTERS (2002)
CIRQUE DU SOLEIL: QUIDAM (1999)
STAN LEE'S MUTANTS, MONSTERS & MARVELS (2002)

All of these are odds 'n ends I hoped to see one day, and with the scarcity of decent rental options for older titles, these Big Lots dump racks are the bee's knees! The only title I wish they had in stock (and which I've read has turned up at several stores) is TO SIR WITH LOVE, which has long been OOP and fetching ridiculous prices online. It's a family favourite that we've been after for ages now, so hopefully an upcoming trip to Buffalo, N.Y. will set things right. It'd be really cool if Cirque's VAREKAI showed up there someday, too.

Also

THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL (1951) Blu-Ray (on sale at Future Shop for $10CDN, a very rare price drop in this country)
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Mike Thomason » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:46 pm

April started off a slow month for the old boy...

2 Fast 2 Furious SE (US) (DVD)*
3 Days of a Blind Girl (Hong Kong) (DVD)
Altered (US) (DVD)
Black Cat (Hong Kong) (DVD)
Botched (UK) (DVD)
The Cat (Hong Kong) (DVD)
Cold Prey: Resurrection (Norway) (DVD)
Cupid One (Hong Kong) (DVD)
Dead Meat (Ireland) (DVD)**
Death Tunnel (US) (DVD)
The Descent SE (UK) (2-DVD)
The Fast & The Furious SE (US) (DVD)*
The Fast & The Furious: Tokyo Drift SE (US) (DVD)*
Fatal Vacation (Hong Kong) (DVD)
The Ghost Snatchers (Hong Kong) (DVD)
The Good Shepherd (US) (DVD)
Hack! (US) (DVD)
House of Voices (France) (DVD)
The Howling SE (US) (DVD)
The Jammed (Australia) (DVD)
Life after Life (Hong Kong) (DVD)
Naked Comes the Huntress (Hong Kong) (DVD)
Pride & Prejudice (2004) (UK) (DVD)
Queen of Underworld (Hong Kong) (DVD)
Repo! The Genetic Opera (US) (DVD)
Resident Evil: Extinction SE (US) (2-DVD)
Shadow Puppets (US) (DVD)
Slither (US) (DVD)
Spider (Canada) (DVD)
Splinter (US) (DVD)
The Trail (Hong Kong) (DVD)
Tribe: Complete Series (UK) (6-DVD)
Underworld SE (US) (2-DVD)

...but picked up as the month rolled on... :wink:

* new "Supercharged" editions
** attempt # 2 at this elusive disc
Last edited by Mike Thomason on Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:47 am, edited 4 times in total.
http://eyeswidescreen.wordpress.com/ (Due for a sporadic return throughout 2010)
Mike Thomason

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:30 am

Tried an order with a company called inet video. They usually have very decent sales, and they briefly had a "free shipping over $50" code, plus they're partly based in Canada, where free anything is a miracle these days. I also once said I'd only buy Dragon Dynasty titles once they fell below the $5 mark, which was inevitable, really. Thus:

DD DVDs
(all $4.99; all duplicates of HK versions; all bought mostly for the extras)
SEVEN SWORDS 2-disc
LAST HURRAH FOR CHIVALRY
KING BOXER
KILL ZONE (>shudder<) 2 disc

BLU-RAY upgrades:
AUSTIN POWERS COLLECTION - Blu-Ray ($24.99 8) )
THE BROTHERS GRIMM - Blu-Ray ($7.77)

One more $4 DVD:
CATCH THE HEAT (1987; MGM)
I've been curious about this one for over 20 years, from when it first came out on VHS and I never got around to actually renting it. Vietnamese-born Tiana Alexandra in the lead role was the drawing card back then because all I remembered her from at that time was some cheesy aerobics video released before this and I wondered how she could suddenly pop up in a film opposite Rod Steiger. Turns out she had some small parts prior, but this was her first big break, and seemingly her last! Anybody seen this?

And then to Chinatown to get the following 2-for-1 as usual
(really hoping that deal holds out a while longer; saves me a lot on overseas shipping & customs fees):
TACTICAL UNIT - NO WAY OUT (2009; Universe)
TACTICAL UNIT - THE CODE (2009; Universe)
BASIC LOVE (2009; Universe)
ALL'S WELL ENDS WELL 2009 (2009; Panorama) ***
LOOK FOR A STAR (2009; Megastar)
RED CLIFF (2-disc; 2008; Mei Ah)
RED CLIFF II (2-disc; 2009; Mei Ah)
NARUTA (Japanese; 2006; Unicorn)****
(total was $59 CDN, plus no tax because, well, "forget it, Jake, it's Chinatown" :D)

**I have to take this one back unfortunately, as the disc is cracked :(
***I noticed in the shop that there's also a deluxe version that has both previous ALL'S WELL films included with the new one, for those so inclined)
****very pretentious, and sooooooo boring, even with boobs. Needed something to get an even number for the deal, but what a waste . . .

Heading downtown this weekend to sell off some more old stuff (books and DVDs) to keep this crack habit goin' :lol:

Edited to add:
RUSS MEYER COLLECTION (18 Disc U.K. edition)
This dropped in price at Amazon U.K. to a very favourable £37-39, depending on which day you caught it, which is nearly half their usual rate. For me it worked out to about $62 Canadian, shipped, which is about $3.44 per film, in this case a fair price. I'm not a huge fan of Meyer's stuff, but I've always wanted to see his entire output at least once (including the four I saw in the days of VHS) and this is by far the most affordable way to date. Sure beats the hell out of Meyer's own overpriced U.S. editions and the equally overpriced Australian box set with only three films in it. Those interested should take a look soon, as the price will likely shoot back up soon. It has once already.
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Harlock » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:15 pm

i Recently got:

Detroit Metal City

death note 1 & 2 (Misa Amane :D )

Harlock
HKMDB Immortal and Co-Developer

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:43 pm

Where's that DEATH NOTE set from? I've got the HK editions, but they're rather plain. Does this set have extra features, English subs (looks French), etc.?
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Harlock » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:51 pm

hey brian, french editon

Language, French, Japanese
Sub: French

some extras: 2 long behind the scene (1 for each movie), mini interview, movie premiere with the stars....

nothing exceptionnal but to me its the BEST japanese movie of all time :D
Harlock
HKMDB Immortal and Co-Developer

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:49 am

Thanks for the update. Guess I can pass on this one (despite my name :oops:)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Grabbed from a $3.97 Wal-Mart blowout display of (mostly) Columbia TriStar catalogue titles on the way home tonight:

DEAN MARTIN DOUBLE FEATURE (WHO WAS THAT LADY / HOW TO SAVE A MARRIAGE AND RUIN YOUR LIFE)
FAST FOOD NATION (really wish they'd made this a documentary instead of a feature; not expecting much)
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:50 am

Thanks for the update. Guess I can pass on this one (despite my name :oops:)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Grabbed from a $3.97 Wal-Mart blowout display of (mostly) Columbia TriStar catalogue titles on the way home tonight:

DEAN MARTIN DOUBLE FEATURE (WHO WAS THAT LADY / HOW TO SAVE A MARRIAGE AND RUIN YOUR LIFE)
FAST FOOD NATION (really wish they'd made this a documentary instead of a feature; not expecting much)

Brian Thibodeau

Postby cal42 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:54 pm

Worryingly, I'm still off my kung fu films. I even watched Crippled Avengers the other week and didn't enjoy it half as much as I should. I hope this doesn't mean I'm maturing.

Anyhow, I decided to check out some Korean films as I've only seen the (bleedin') obvious ones. I had to look around for reviews as I know next to nothing on the subject (and there doesn't seem to be a KMDB yet :P ) and only picked it if I could find a good review or two.

So I went for:

Bin-Jip
Tale of Two Sisters
My Sassy Girl
Il Mare
The Chaser
Heroes of the East - the only blog in the world with the world famous Lam Suet-o-meter!
cal42

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:38 pm

cal42 wrote:Worryingly, I'm still off my kung fu films. I even watched Crippled Avengers the other week and didn't enjoy it half as much as I should. I hope this doesn't mean I'm maturing.

You'll come back. Sometimes a break is nice. As long as you don't look down upon them, or your time with them, or the industry that created and still creates them, you'll know it's only temporary! :lol:

Anyhow, I decided to check out some Korean films as I've only seen the (bleedin') obvious ones. I had to look around for reviews as I know next to nothing on the subject (and there doesn't seem to be a KMDB yet :P ) and only picked it if I could find a good review or two.

So I went for:

Bin-Jip
Tale of Two Sisters
My Sassy Girl
Il Mare
The Chaser

All excellent choices, with plenty of good reviews and articles out there for backgrounder. I just watched CHASER a few days ago. Fantastic movie UNTIL a scene preceding the climax that requires a bit player to do something so obviously contrived and downright stupid as to take me right out of the picture--at least for a while, because I couldn't believe any writer or director would think people behaved this way, or that an audience would think it was dramatically convincing. I recovered, and the movie does too, but that's a near-fatal flaw that should have been handled differently. It's a scene set in a little convenience store, for those curious.

BIN-JIP (3-Iron) is a phenomenal movie, one of Kim Ki-duk's best, and I had the good fortune of watching it not long after reading a book about Buddhism (more a historical/cultural book than a pracititioner's guide; I find all religion ridiculous, but I like to understand that which I ridicule on a decent level, and Buddhism at least earns the least amount of scorn in my eyes due to it being more of a philosophy). Again, it was just dumb luck that I saw 3-IRON for what it was, but I was rather dismayed to find NO reviews online, after considerable reading, that addressed the film's true underpinnings. Not Variety or Hollywood Reporter; not the English-language Korean papers; not IMDB (over 100 reviews!); not even koreanfilm.org, whose opinions and scholarly writing I much admire. Anyways, I submitted a (slightly smart-assy) review of it at Amazon.com, if you're interested. Might have to view by most-recent or some such. A lot of web reviewers sense a "deeper meaning", but none articulate that feeling because, frankly, I don't think they really know what it is and instead try to interpret the surface qualities and performances alone. They definitely reach for the wrong metaphors, and use much pretentious veribiage to disguise their own uncertainty (much like I just did in this part of the sentence), but I suppose that's the joy of a Kim film. He knows precisely what he's saying, even if it seems to leave room for personal interpretation, though I have to wonder if some of what people write frustrates him sometimes.

I've just literally come off of a Korean DVD bender. I had nearly 100 in the "to watch" totes (thought it was around 85 originally; turned out to be higher) that kept being set aside for those times that my GF and I could sit and enjoy them together. But our wonky work schedules the past year haven't been conducive to this, so I got her permission to blow through them so I could get back to focusing on Hong Kong cinema (which explains my lack of real contributions around here the past few months). We managed to enjoy a handful of "absolutely must watch together" titles with each other, which was nice, but the rest I just needed to plow through so I could clear my plate AND make some room in my apartment! :lol: I'm writing some brief reviews of as many of these recent viewings as I can, so will share those soon, for whatever worth they might have. I'm still going to pick up Korean titles, but not so heavily, which is just as good, as the country's not cranking them out as much as they were a few years ago, so it should be a little easier to keep up. Of course, the cost of Korean DVDs being what they are, and the economy being the way it is, I must be judicious . . .

Incidentally, there is an old thread here that might provide some more possibilities
http://hkmdb.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=41556
It hasn't been updated in over two years, but I've been thinking of posting some capsule reviews there from this recent bender just for the sake of sharing.

Another good website is the Korean Film Council:
http://www.koreanfilm.or.kr/index.jsp

And Hancinema.net is another valuable resource, with publicity photos, reviews (most of the time) and links to related news articles, all nicely designed (if too slow to load):
http://www.hancinema.net/

And there actually IS a Korean Movie Database (KMDB). I believe this might have been started by HKMDB's Ryan Law, though not sure if he's still involved. Content is rather anemic compared to Hancinema, but I do wish the design of HKMDB was as crisp.
http://www.kmdb.or.kr/eng/index.asp
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:39 pm

cal42 wrote:Worryingly, I'm still off my kung fu films. I even watched Crippled Avengers the other week and didn't enjoy it half as much as I should. I hope this doesn't mean I'm maturing.

You'll come back. Sometimes a break is nice. As long as you don't look down upon them, or your time with them, or the industry that created and still creates them, you'll know it's only temporary! :lol:

So I went for:

Bin-Jip
Tale of Two Sisters
My Sassy Girl
Il Mare
The Chaser

All excellent choices, with plenty of good reviews and articles out there for backgrounder. I just watched CHASER a few days ago. Fantastic movie UNTIL a scene preceding the climax that requires a bit player to do something so obviously contrived and downright stupid as to take me right out of the picture--at least for a while, because I couldn't believe any writer or director would think people behaved this way, or that an audience would think it was dramatically convincing. I recovered, and the movie does too, but that's a near-fatal flaw that should have been handled differently. It's a scene set in a little convenience store, for those curious.

BIN-JIP (3-Iron) is a phenomenal movie, one of Kim Ki-duk's best, and I had the good fortune of watching it not long after reading a book about Buddhism (more a historical/cultural book than a pracititioner's guide; I find all religion ridiculous, but I like to understand that which I ridicule on a decent level, and Buddhism at least earns the least amount of scorn in my eyes due to it being more of a philosophy). Again, it was just dumb luck that I saw 3-IRON for what it was, but I was rather dismayed to find NO reviews online, after considerable reading, that addressed the film's true underpinnings. Not Variety or Hollywood Reporter; not the English-language Korean papers; not IMDB (over 100 reviews!); not even koreanfilm.org, whose opinions and scholarly writing I much admire. Anyways, I submitted a (slightly smart-assy) review of it at Amazon.com, if you're interested. Might have to view by most-recent or some such. A lot of web reviewers sense a "deeper meaning", but none articulate that feeling because, frankly, I don't think they really know what it is and instead try to interpret the surface qualities and performances alone. They definitely reach for the wrong metaphors, and use much pretentious veribiage to disguise their own uncertainty (much like I just did in this part of the sentence), but I suppose that's the joy of a Kim film. He knows precisely what he's saying, even if it seems to leave room for personal interpretation, though I have to wonder if some of what people write frustrates him sometimes.

I've just literally come off of a Korean DVD bender. I had nearly 100 in the "to watch" totes (thought it was around 85 originally; turned out to be higher) that kept being set aside for those times that my GF and I could sit and enjoy them together. But our wonky work schedules the past year haven't been conducive to this, so I got her permission to blow through them so I could get back to focusing on Hong Kong cinema (which explains my lack of real contributions around here the past few months). We managed to enjoy a handful of "absolutely must watch together" titles with each other, which was nice, but the rest I just needed to plow through so I could clear my plate AND make some room in my apartment! :lol: I'm writing some brief reviews of as many of these recent viewings as I can, so will share those soon, for whatever worth they might have. I'm still going to pick up Korean titles, but not so heavily, which is just as good, as the country's not cranking them out as much as they were a few years ago, so it should be a little easier to keep up. Of course, the cost of Korean DVDs being what they are, and the economy being the way it is, I must be judicious . . .

Incidentally, there is an old thread here that might provide some more possibilities
http://hkmdb.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=41556
It hasn't been updated in over two years, but I've been thinking of posting some capsule reviews there from this recent bender just for the sake of sharing.

Another good website is the Korean Film Council:
http://www.koreanfilm.or.kr/index.jsp

And Hancinema.net is another valuable resource, with publicity photos, reviews (most of the time) and links to related news articles, all nicely designed (if too slow to load):
http://www.hancinema.net/

And there actually IS a Korean Movie Database (KMDB). I believe this might have been started by HKMDB's Ryan Law, though not sure if he's still involved. Content is rather anemic compared to Hancinema, but I do wish the design of HKMDB was as crisp.
http://www.kmdb.or.kr/eng/index.asp

Brian Thibodeau

Postby ewaffle » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:25 am

Brian, Cal--

I completely missed the Buddhist context of "3-Iron" when I saw it a few years ago--it was the first Kim Ki-duk movie for me and it knocked me out on first viewing, although it made all the sense in the world once it was pointed out to me. One decent short review is here http://www.buddhistchannel.tv/index.php?id=12,1236,0,0,1,0 Under any circumstances it is hard to recommend too highly.

Not sure if "Samaria" (Samaritan Girl in the U.S.) is one you have seen. Also by Kim, it has a lot of overtly religious iconigraphy plus grotesque violence, sexual humiliation and bottomless despair. I loved it.
"I stopped being half-witted and became sly whenever I took the trouble."
Samuel Beckett, "Molloy"
ewaffle

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:19 am

ewaffle wrote:I completely missed the Buddhist context of "3-Iron" when I saw it a few years ago--it was the first Kim Ki-duk movie for me and it knocked me out on first viewing, although it made all the sense in the world once it was pointed out to me. One decent short review is here http://www.buddhistchannel.tv/index.php?id=12,1236,0,0,1,0 Under any circumstances it is hard to recommend too highly.

As I mentioned, were it not for my reading a "related" book prior to watching 3-IRON, I'd have been as much in the dark as almost everyone seems to be about it. But I still would have been immensely satisfied with it, even knowing that there was . . . something there that I just wasn't able to penetrate because of my lack of knowledge. Kim's other films are, for the most part, every bit as good as this one. I also recently watched TIME during my bender, and I think I understood it at all levels, though I wouldn't be surprised if there's more going on in that one as well. I suspect there is because, frankly, it has drawn the same kind of vague "this film has meaning" reviews as 3-IRON. In fact, most of Kim's movies seem to inspire reviews wherein people can't quite put their fingers on what being said, but they like it nonetheless, and the interpretations are often worthy, even when they're off-the-mark, as in the case of 3-IRON. He's certainly one of Korea's few true auteurs, and his movies, though they don't seem to make much money on home soil, will be remembered and dissected by future film buffs, unlike the vast majority of superflous (if enjoyable) Korean popcorn cinema.

Thanks for that Buddhist review. Figures that would be the last place I'd think to look! :lol: I'm not sure the writer really addresses the three-step process that the film lays out, but they do hit on certain touchstones that are definitely present, moreso than any other reviews I've found. I think the writer is also a little too taken with finding significance in the English title, when the translated Korean title--EMPTY HOUSE--is far more revealing. Still, a thought-provoking read. ;)

Not sure if "Samaria" (Samaritan Girl in the U.S.) is one you have seen. Also by Kim, it has a lot of overtly religious iconigraphy plus grotesque violence, sexual humiliation and bottomless despair. I loved it.

That's one of about seven ( :oops: ) of his that I haven't seen (the others would be COAST GUARD, BREATH, DREAM, THE BOW and his first three pre-99 features), but it sounds like a good companion piece to THE ISLE and BAD GUY, the latter one of my all time favorites of Korean cinema. I think one reason I'm drawn to his films is because Korean audiences seem uncomfortable with the subjects he chooses, which often reveal dark, dirty undersides of Korean society that Koreans have probably been a bit too willing to deny in their zeal to modernize, industrialize and, cinema-wise, prove they can play with the Big Boys. Or maybe not. :?
Brian Thibodeau

Postby cal42 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:29 pm

Thanks both for all that info. Quite looking forward to watching that one now. One thing, ewaffle: is that review OK for me to read now or should I perhaps wait until after I've seen the film?

Thanks for the links, Brian. I've had a scoot around and if I get into what I see in this batch, I'll be on the lookout for more. One thing I remember now: I was going to order Shiri and, like when I wanted to order Red Cliff, I bloody forgot. Actually, it never crossed my mind to order Red Cliff this time around either. Is 37 too early for the onset of senile dementia?

I'm of a similar mind on religion. I spent some time at a buddhist temple about ten years ago, and remember thinking what they were telling me they believed in was utterly bonkers. Then I got to thinking about what we were meant to swallow as kids and then it didn't seem that different. And I have to admit your average Buddhist is a lot more tolerant than followers of certain other religions (and I certainly include my own by saying that) and tolerance is a big thing in my book.

ewaffle wrote:Not sure if "Samaria" (Samaritan Girl in the U.S.) is one you have seen. Also by Kim, it has a lot of overtly religious iconigraphy plus grotesque violence, sexual humiliation and bottomless despair. I loved it.

Hey, now you're talking!
Heroes of the East - the only blog in the world with the world famous Lam Suet-o-meter!
cal42

Postby ewaffle » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:26 am

One thing, ewaffle: is that review OK for me to read now or should I perhaps wait until after I've seen the film?

It will make more sense afterwards--I really shouldn't have called it a review, more a discussion of the movie from a Buddhist point of view.
Samuel Beckett, "Molloy"
ewaffle

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:37 am

I agree that review is pretty safe. My own probably "gives more away" but since the film isn't really about twists or suspense per se, the more you know going in might be a good thing, since you might not feel as if you're missing the bigger picture (not to assume that you would have, of course! ;) )
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Mike Thomason » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:06 am

To be a hindrance with a completely unrelated question: has anyone seen the Fortune Star titles Vice Squad 633, Ironside 426 or Who Holds the Golden Key?...? Being Golden Harvest productions (I'm guessing, due to the fact they've been released under the Fortune Star banner, and they hold the GH library) I was wondering how they compare to the contemporary crime dramas that the Shaw studios produced around the same era?

These titles interest me, from both a historical and cinematic aspect. Any takers? :)
http://eyeswidescreen.wordpress.com/ (Due for a sporadic return throughout 2010)
Mike Thomason

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:01 pm

Some more Wa Yi finds:

Legendary Collection VCDs (2-for-1):

SPOOKY KOOKIES (1981) almost nothing in the DB on this one
BREAKING THROUGH THE BLACK WHIRL (1983; Taiwan??) ditto
GALLERY OF FOOLS (198?) No DB listing. I'm assuming for now this is a Hong Kong pic due to cast.
CONDUCT ZERO (1986)

Legendary Collection DVDs (2-for-1)
DADDY, FATHER AND PAPA (1981)
LIFE AFTER LIFE (1981)
TO HELL WITH THE DEVIL (1981)
BY HOOK OR BY CROOK (1980)

Other HK DVD:
IP MAN (2009; Universe single disc edition)
ANNA & ANNA (2007; Deltamac)
SOME LIKE IT HOT (2008; Panorama) Not in DB!
http://www.dddhouse.com/v3/product_deta ... uctID=9320

Other Asian DVDs (HK editions):
SUSPECT X (2008; Japan; Panasia)
NO EMERGENCY EXIT (1993; Korea; AV Video)
Another older Korean title. Not sure why I keep buying these since they invariably disappoint, but we'll see.
UDON (2007; Japan; CN)
FORBIDDEN FLOOR (2006; Korea; Winson)
This is Part 2 of the "4 Horror Tales" series co-produced by Ahn Byung-ki of PHONE and APT fame. I've only seen FOREST OF DEATH, which was abyssmal, but I've read better things about the other three, so here's hoping . . .

Vice Squad 633, Ironside 426 or Who Holds the Golden Key?

I know mike generally dislikes non-answers like this, but I'll just mention that I purchased all three of these for precisely the same reasons he's thinking about doing the same (and probably will anyways ;) ): historical and cinematic curiosity. I don't intend to watch them for a while, though. I've only done a brief skim of the first few minutes of each to get a feel for them, but I liked what I saw. Most places I've seen them for sale offer them rather cheaply too, so blind buys for the curious are that much easier to make. :D
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Mike Thomason » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:38 am

Brian Thibodeau wrote:I know Mike generally dislikes non-answers like this, but I'll just mention that I purchased all three of these for precisely the same reasons he's thinking about doing the same (and probably will anyways ;) ): historical and cinematic curiosity. I don't intend to watch them for a while, though. I've only done a brief skim of the first few minutes of each to get a feel for them, but I liked what I saw.

Is cool re: "non-answers" -- I am mellowing even more than before now that I am raising a little guy. Having a bub in the house kind of altered my vision of my world even further than it had been shifting prior. It's good to know that there are still some folk, your good self included, dabbling in the lesser-known and/or niche titles springing up these days; a positive word or two about initial impressions is a step in the right direction for my own purchase leanings. :)

There was a bit of social commentary in the Shaw contemporary films, as well as a moderately down-to-earth tone adopted by them (even if they did add in a dash of commercial flavour [blood and boobies] to appeal to their audiences); some of the Golden Harvest titles I've seen from the seventies could have almost passed for Shaw titles in their structure and general aesthetics. I'm guessing that the GH titles mentioned above, all reviewed in the DB btw, will have similar qualities -- thereby making them definite buys somewhere shortly down the less beaten track. ;)
Mike Thomason

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:38 pm

Mike Thomason wrote:It's good to know that there are still some folk, your good self included, dabbling in the lesser-known and/or niche titles springing up these days :)

My rule these days is if I haven't seen it, I should probably buy it, primarily to fill in those gaps in the chronology. Contemporary-set Shaw and Golden Harvest pictures (and those of other distributors) from just about any era hold a great fascination to me, reflective as they often are of the city's varied social issues, fashion and geography,; thus I've tried to grab as many as I can find and afford. I've also been plowing through non-HK discs in the hopes of clearing space and time to dig into the HK stuff properly, so hopefully at that point, I might be of more use regarding some of these lesser-known titles. ;)
Brian Thibodeau

Postby ewaffle » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:04 pm

Brian Thibodeau wrote:
Mike Thomason wrote:It's good to know that there are still some folk, your good self included, dabbling in the lesser-known and/or niche titles springing up these days :)

My rule these days is if I haven't seen it, I should probably buy it, primarily to fill in those gaps in the chronology.

Brian--based on the prices you sometimes mention, I would imagine that cost is not a factor but that space could become one. What seems to be an almost infinte number of linear feet in shelving can get filled up rapidly, even with relatively (relative, for example, to books) small objects like DVDs. I first discovered that when my collection of opera CD sets went from zero to over 1,000 in five years.

Mike--I can only assume that in addition to your primary residence you have a seperate house built of DVDs. Not only for your collection but constructed using the cases as building material--the mega-lists that you post regularly must take up a lot of cubic yards.
Samuel Beckett, "Molloy"
ewaffle

Postby Masterofoneinchpunch » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:35 pm

And speaking of neverending collection additions since I last posted:

The Brave Archer (1978: HK)
Full Moon in Paris (1984)
Three Times (2005: Taiwan)
German Horror Classics (Nosferatu (1922) / The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari / Waxworks / The Golem) (1929)
The Complete Thin Man Collection (The Thin Man / After the Thin Man / Another Thin Man / Shadow of the Thin Man / The Thin Man Goes Home / Song of the Thin Man / Alias Nick and Nora) (1947)
The Rainmaker
Bobby
The Assassination of Richard Nixon
The Wrestler (2008)
Vanishing Point
Bolt (2008)
Doubt (2008)
Rachel Getting Married (2008)
Jules and Jim (Criterion: France)
Grave of the Fireflies (Japan)
Futurama: The Beast with a Billion Backs
The Tale of Despereaux
Triumph of the Will
Chaplin
Budd Boetticher Box Set (Tall T, Decision at Sundown, Buchanan Rides Alone, Ride Lonesome, Comanche Station)
Buster Keaton - 65th Anniversary Collection
My Amazon Reviews

Masterofoneinchpunch

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Fri May 01, 2009 3:18 am

ewaffle wrote:Brian--based on the prices you sometimes mention, I would imagine that cost is not a factor but that space could become one. What seems to be an almost infinte number of linear feet in shelving can get filled up rapidly, even with relatively (relative, for example, to books) small objects like DVDs. I first discovered that when my collection of opera CD sets went from zero to over 1,000 in five years.

A thousand opera CDs? Now that's commitment! 8)

Price is definitely a factor with me, as you suspected. The other one is selling off or trading off stuff when I'm done with it. I came to the realization several years ago that it just made more sense to see as many movies as I possibly can in this lifetime (well, ones I want to see, naturally), but only keep those films that really deserve it (subjectively speaking). Granted, that means a sizable core collection of a lifetime's worth of favourites, but everything else I either rent, borrow from the library, or buy as ludicrously cheap as possible (see the Big Lots/Wal-Mart hauls above; I also take advantage of Blockbuster's ongoing "Buy 2 Get 1 Free" sales, but only on the $4.99 and $6.99 titles, which is where they all end up eventually).

I must sound so incredibly cheap, but when it comes to movies, and satiating that need to see virtually everything I'd ever wanted to see (made easier now that so much of it has turned up on DVD in the past decade), I do have to keep an eye on the budget and the space afforded by this apartment. I'm also nearing the tail end of a very long mental list, thank goodness. Falling and closeout DVD prices make the journey that much easier.

But if it weren't for the ability to sell much of this stuff off, I'd never be such a "blind buy" kind of guy at all. Thankfully, there are several used CD/DVD/Book dealers in this city who pay a fair price for used discs. Thus, a $3 Big Lots bin movie will very likely net me $2 to $3 (or more) when I sell it to one of these places, so I generally break even, at least for the time being, and that money, of course, can fund new purchases. I have to think many of you city folks probably have similar places available to you.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hong Kong cinema's a little different, though. That stuff's like crack.

I've realized for a while now that I'm living in a sorta-kinda-possibly temporary bubble in this city right now when it comes to Hong Kong movies. I have access to a lot of favourably-priced Hong Kong/Asian DVDs and VCDs, but the supply is undoubtedly finite. The bootleggers have all but forced the legitimate retailers to keep prices low and/or drop prices very quickly within a few weeks of release.

Sadly, this same kind of unfair competition has seen a lot of good shops close in the last five years, and now one of my long-time favorites (since '97), the Wa Yi Trading Co. in the downtown Chinatown (which I've mentioned here a few times) has begun a slowly-going-out-of-business sale, thus all the 2-for-1 VCD and DVD deals. But I know him, he'll milk it for a while yet.

Fortunately, the place where I scored a couple hundred VCDs for $1 - $1.50 each last year is still in business. Their VCD selection is no more, but their catalogue DVD selection is still quite large. One drawback to this place (as well as a couple of others like it), and it was probably by necessity, is that they started to sneak bootlegs into the mix alongside their legitimate product. The rips sit in little white CD envelopes beside the respective legit DVD they're ripped from, though this is mostly confined to newer releases and popular stuff from various eras. Perhaps because of this, they now have a permanent 2-for-1 deal on all their legit product. I'm probably a fool for not just buying the rips--and I will admit giving into temptation on rare occasions; how could you not?--but I still prefer a real disc in a real case, especially if I plan to sell or trade it later on, and these prices, as long as they hold, make it possible to stay relatively up to date for not a lot of money, and if I do like a particular title, I don't have to worry about a cheapo DVD-r that may or may not play in a couple of years.

There's also been an ongoing crackdown here on Hollywood bootlegs. They're still out there, but people buying them look like they're engaging in crack deals, so the audience has dwindled somewhat, and the sellers are left displaying Asian boots which, even here, will only sell so many copies, forcing many of them to fold virtually overnight. Those left behind aren't doing well from the looks of things. At least the cops have figured out the value of NOT advertising every new bust through the local newscasts.

Of course, if any of you folks (and Cal) are ever planning a visit to Toronto, you won't go home empty handed, at least not for a while, as there are still plenty of legit places sticking it out for as long as they can. You in particular, Ed, are not that far away, you know. And there's plenty to occupy the family while you rummage through Chinatown. :lol: But I digress . . .

Another key factor for me is the lowly VCD (at least for Hong Kong films anyways). They have their detractors, even here, but man are there a LOT of titles that are only available on this format. or that simply aren't worth getting on a higher-priced DVD that takes up even more space on the shelf. Plus, as I've repeatedly demonstrated throughout this thread (along with Bearserk and Teddy Wong in years prior), they're cheap both online and off, especially if they've been sitting on the dusty shelves of a Chinatown store for a few years. With Hong Kong movies, if I know going in that there's even a moderate possibility that it won't be a "keeper", or that the option is either no DVD or a pricey Euro import DVD I can't afford, then the VCD is my preference. I won't be out much money, and I can always trade them later on or, failing that, donate them to my old hometown library, which still has a fine collection of about 150 of my old castoffs. :lol:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Mike--I can only assume that in addition to your primary residence you have a seperate house built of DVDs. Not only for your collection but constructed using the cases as building material--the mega-lists that you post regularly must take up a lot of cubic yards.

I do recall Mike once saying that most of the stuff that made it's way to his place ended up staying there, so I've also pictured a very large house on occasion :lol: Mind you, his lists look more impressive because he only posts one every month and builds it up in secret, the tidy bugger. :lol: :lol:

I'm also tempted to nominate Shawn (masterpunch) as one of the true big spenders around here. The walls of his DVD house could be reinforced with boxed-set buttresses and the roof shingled with Criterions. :shock: 8)

Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:Vanishing Point

Good God do I love this movie! :D
Brian Thibodeau

Postby cal42 » Fri May 01, 2009 4:41 pm

Just ordered Samaria after seeing Bin-Jip, which was pretty ace. Thanks again for the tips :wink: .
cal42

Postby Masterofoneinchpunch » Fri May 01, 2009 9:10 pm

I'm also tempted to nominate Shawn (masterpunch) as one of the true big spenders around here. The walls of his DVD house could be reinforced with boxed-set buttresses and the roof shingled with Criterions. :shock: 8)

Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:Vanishing Point

Good God do I love this movie! :D[/quote]

If we ever go to Toronto we will visit you. Lunch is on Brian.

Am I the only one who has fear of their movies piles falling over them and killing them?

I just love movies. I am a collector and find this a little more fun than basketball cards etc... (my Dirk Nowitzki collection is pretty decent) I also love to go back to any scene, movie etc...; I just wish I put more time into writing about film. (funny you mentioned about giving to the library, my brother has done this a few times, but got upset when he found they threw away Moon Over Tao instead of using it; luckily I got that copy after he found it in the trash).

I average one HK film a week, but I really wish I had more time (I average 7-10 movies a week) since I have been going over so much. I do try to enlighten the art crowd to some success however they only seem to understand Wong Kar-wai and a few Johnnie To. :D
My Amazon Reviews

Masterofoneinchpunch

Postby cal42 » Fri May 01, 2009 9:38 pm

Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:
If we ever go to Toronto we will visit you. Lunch is on Brian.

Actually, I was hoping to go to Toronto on May 30 (my birthday) but there are some real-life complications at the moment and I don't know if I can go. Definitely want to go this year though.

Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:
Am I the only one who has fear of their movies piles falling over them and killing them?

Probably like a lot of people on here, I have seriously considered the possibility.

Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:I average one HK film a week, but I really wish I had more time (I average 7-10 movies a week) since I have been going over so much. I do try to enlighten the art crowd to some success however they only seem to understand Wong Kar-wai and a few Johnnie To. :D

People are surprised when I tell them I only go through 2 or 3 films a week, but it's true. The fact is, I have trouble keeping track of films nowadays, and I often watch films for the second time remembering little about what the film was about. This is a good thing in a way, but also somewhat annoying. It occured to me, while watching Rashomon, that I have absolutely no idea what happened at the end of Ran, and I really liked that film.
cal42

Postby Masterofoneinchpunch » Fri May 01, 2009 10:42 pm

cal42 wrote:...Actually, I was hoping to go to Toronto on May 30 (my birthday) but there are some real-life complications at the moment and I don't know if I can go. Definitely want to go this year though.
Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:I average one HK film a week, but I really wish I had more time (I average 7-10 movies a week) since I have been going over so much. I do try to enlighten the art crowd to some success however they only seem to understand Wong Kar-wai and a few Johnnie To. :D

People are surprised when I tell them I only go through 2 or 3 films a week, but it's true. The fact is, I have trouble keeping track of films nowadays, and I often watch films for the second time remembering little about what the film was about. This is a good thing in a way, but also somewhat annoying. It occured to me, while watching Rashomon, that I have absolutely no idea what happened at the end of Ran, and I really liked that film.

Um May 30 is my birthday :D (not kidding on this). This was Mel Blanc's b-day too. I have seen Ran at least 4 times (really like that film).

The better the fim is the more likely I am going to remember it. There are exceptions of course.

If you are interested in what I'm watching I keep up here: http://www.listsofbests.com/list/61675
My Amazon Reviews

Masterofoneinchpunch

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Sat May 02, 2009 3:51 am

Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:If we ever go to Toronto we will visit you. Lunch is on Brian.

But of course! ;)

cal42 wrote:Actually, I was hoping to go to Toronto on May 30 (my birthday) but there are some real-life complications at the moment and I don't know if I can go. Definitely want to go this year though.

No worries. I'm keeping tabs on the Hong Kong media retailers on everyone's behalf. :lol: If the situation gets truly dire, I'll let you know. And lunch will still be on me. Of course, if a bunch of you show up at the same time, that's a different story . . . :lol:

Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:Am I the only one who has fear of their movies piles falling over them and killing them?

Well, I suppose there are worse ways to die . . .

cal42 wrote:Probably like a lot of people on here, I have seriously considered the possibility.

This is why most of my collection is in storage totes. I used to display it on shelves, but gradually found it to be a rather unharmonious backdrop to my lifestyle. The totes may not be suited to easy reference or constant admiration of their contents, but the 22 gallon Sterilite Latchtop Tote-available in standard blue or a variety of seasonal colours at better retailers nationwide--holds a good 150 discs, isn't too heavy in the event of a future move (plus no messy packing up in cardboard), and they store nicely away in a big walk-in hall closet here. And no dust! Granted, if the mood strikes to watch something from my library, I might have to dig a bit, but I suspect even those who prefer shelves can't fit everything on them at some point, and thus have to do some searching of their own.

Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:I average one HK film a week, but I really wish I had more time (I average 7-10 movies a week) since I have been going over so much.

Hell one a HK film a week is better than me these days! I might buy a zillion a week, but I watch none. But that is intentional. I suppose I'm punishing myself for all the cinematic tangents I've gone off on, which have led to accumulated piles of discs I feel I need to get out of the way before I can hunker down with my Hong Kong goodies. The Korean marathon of late is probably the most obvious example, and I'm currently clearing away a much smaller stack of Japanese movies. This isn't to say I won't still buy Korean and Japanese movies, because I will, but just not in the numbers that I once did.

cal42 wrote:People are surprised when I tell them I only go through 2 or 3 films a week, but it's true. The fact is, I have trouble keeping track of films nowadays, and I often watch films for the second time remembering little about what the film was about. This is a good thing in a way, but also somewhat annoying. It occured to me, while watching Rashomon, that I have absolutely no idea what happened at the end of Ran, and I really liked that film.

I try to do one a night, but sometimes I get home so late that it becomes 1/3 of a movie at night, the next 1/3 over breakfast, and the last 1/3 the next night, which I generally dislike doing, but as I mentioned, the stacks just got too big and I had to get a move on so I could decide what was worth keeping and what was worth selling/trading while there was still some inherent "value".
Brian Thibodeau

PreviousNext

Return to Asian Movies