Streaming legal Asian movies

Discussions on Asian cinemas: Japanese, Korean, Thai, ....

Streaming legal Asian movies

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:03 pm

I'd heard about this awhile back and found more info on Colin Geddes' blog about it. (http://kungfufridays.blogspot.com/ - you'll have to scroll down a bit).

From his blog:

Right now since Jaman is in a trial period, the rentals are free. In the future the price will be around $1.99 and if you want to keep the file on your drive to watch any time it costs $4.99.

Once you pick a film the app downloads the file in a bit torrent type method to your computer and you have a license to access it for 7 days. After the seven days are up, you can�t open the file, but can always renew the license.

Not sure if the trial thing is still in effect, and I believe it was invitation-only (which, of course, rules me out :lol:), but I'd be curious to know if anyone has tried the service yet. The site is legit, and offers an excellent selection of DRM-protected films from around the world, including 55 films from Asia, including a hefty (if far too period-heavy) selection of Celesital Shaw titles like KIDNAP, BLACK MAGIC 2 (:shock:), TWIN BLADES OF DOOM, BLACK BUTTERFLY, 14 AMAZONS, DANGER HAS TWO FACES, HEX AFTER HEX, SINFUL CONFESSION, etc. as well as films from Taiwan (including BETELNUT BEAUTY) and Japan.

List of films:
http://www.jaman.com/a/library/?theAction=grid_channel&channelType=2&channelID=3

Indian films as well:
http://www.jaman.com/a/library/?theAction=grid_channel&channelType=2&channelID=10

I'm kinda torn whether to give this a shot some day. I have virtually all of these (except BLACK MAGIC 2) on DVD or VCD, some picked up super-cheap and just as legit in recent months, so I guess I'd have to see what titles will be added over time. The price seems fair enough, but with the recent price reductions I've been reporting in the "Digital Scrounge" thread, I have to wonder how much use I'd get from this being someone who prefers to own. I'm also not fond of watching video on my laptop, but as Colin says in that blog, computers can be hooked up to televisions. Were I still living in my old home city, this might make more sense, as trips to Toronto were infrequent, but for those who don't have access to a Chinatown or don't prefer to order online from overseas, this might be a good deal when it's available to all (if it's not already!).

Thoughts, anyone?
Last edited by Brian Thibodeau on Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Thibodeau

downloading asian films

Postby steve_cole1 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:21 pm

while you mention this site there is a site i came across called direct2drive which has just put a number of films on i know its all jackie bruce lee e.t.c but there is a few old school kung fu films and hui brothers comedies which i havent seen
steve_cole1

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:37 pm

Interesting site, though I'm not sure $9.99 is a fair price to download movies that can be purchased on DVD for less than that from virtually any retailer. Good films, but they seem to be the same ones Fortune Star released a couple years back, many of them through Fox Video. Many of the thumbnails even match the Fox sleeve art:

http://www.direct2drive.com/buy-martial ... s-download

There is one on there, THE BEST OF THE MARTIAL ARTS FILMS, that I believe is out of print on DVD. Highly worth seeing, but I'm still not sure about paying that much for it.
Brian Thibodeau

Postby dleedlee » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:43 pm

I'm also not fond of watching video on my laptop, but as Colin says in that blog, computers can be hooked up to televisions.

I don't like to watch videos on my laptop either, except when I doing screen captures. Probably makes sense in the long run, given all the space videos take up in my home, but I'm a Luddite. Call me a Late Adapter! :?

Betelnut Beauty sure is tempting, though. Been looking for that on video for a long time.
???? Better to light a candle than curse the darkness; Measure twice, cut once.
Pinyin to Wade-Giles. Cantonese names file
dleedlee
HKMDB Immortal

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:50 pm

Probably makes sense in the long run, given all the space videos take up in my home, but I'm a Luddite. Call me a Late Adapter!

I know how it feels! :lol: But despite the endless mountains of movies tucked around my apartment (mostly in nice new totes, so they're not TOO distracting! :oops: ), there's a certain comfort knowing that, barring a fire or natural disaster, I'll always have something to watch in the blink of an eye. No download times, no potential playback issues, etc. And all from my big comfy couch!
Brian Thibodeau

Postby steve_cole1 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:12 pm

Are any of the films on the Jaman site any good im taliking from the asian section because my pre-1980s hk films is very rusty but if there are some good films i will have a look
steve_cole1

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:39 pm

From what I've read about them, as well as reviews I've seen here and elsewear, many of those Shaw movies are top-drawer stuff. I can only vouch for 14 AMAZONS, which was pretty damned cool, but otherwise I've yet to really wade into my accumulating piles of Shaw discs, but I'm sure others here could point you toward some choice material at Jaman.

I highly recommend BEST OF THE MARTIAL ARTS FILMS, too. Even if you've already seen a lot of the fights highlighted within it—mostly taken from well-known 70's and 80's Golden Harvest titles, including several Jackie/Sammo/Yuen Biao flicks—it's nice to see so many classic sequences in one place!
Brian Thibodeau

Postby steve_cole1 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:04 pm

i have just joined and got 3 free films so ill judge on them wether its a keeper or not and ive wanted to seem some of the old 70s hk films
steve_cole1

Postby steve_cole1 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:11 pm

it wont let me download films as it says its not avaliable in my area
good old dependable dvds
steve_cole1

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:31 pm

it wont let me download films as it says its not avaliable in my area

Ain't that always the way!? I had a similar experience about a year or two ago when I thought I might sign up for a U.S.-based movies-online service that had films from many of the major studios. The name of it escapes me, and I don't recall if it's still in business (it was big news at the time), but just trying to log on to the site from a Canadian computer got me rerouted to an unaffiliated Canadian site that only sent DVDs through the mail like Netflix, only with about a tenth of the selection. :evil:

I did notice this in Jaman's FAQ:

9. Why are some films not available to me? (Outside the US/North America)
Film rights are a complex business with multiple owners, channels, and geographic regions. Jaman tries to take all internet rights available. At times, North America may be the only territory available, or adding more territories may require a substantial fee. When large fees are involved, we may only take North America at first to try out the film, then add more rights later if it makes sense.

Some of our film owners have decided to try out Jaman in the US or North America only. We use your IP address to determine where you are and will restrict you from downloading the film, if necessary. You can still check out the film detail page, participate in the community, etc.

Right now, we are working on ways to improve how the site shows you which any films you will not be able to download. Until then, see the Cinequest and Tip Top Selections on the Categories & Genres page for films that can be seen (almost) anywhere in the world.

Sounds like there might be some films there that you can download, though probably not the ones you're after. Hopefully someday, a site like Jaman that offers world cinema will actually offer it to the world. ;)
Brian Thibodeau

Re: Streaming legal Asian movies

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:32 am

Thought I'd revive this old thread as the reality of a streaming world grows ever more likely. Most of you may already have heard about or visited it, but The Auteurs, a website with strong connections to Criterion (U.S.) Costa Films (South American), Celluloid Dreams (French) and Martin Scorcese's World Cinema Foundation, has a fantastic selection of international cinema available to stream for very reasonable prices. They've also got some goodies you can watch for free, including

THE HOUSEMAID (South Korea; 1960)
http://www.theauteurs.com/films/2039
Just watched this one on the weekend and was rather enthralled at the sexual frankness of it. Nothing too explicit—or anything like the Japanese were doing around the same time with nudity and sex—but still quite strong, erotic and increasingly dark-minded in its depiction of a family torn asunder, with typically Korean melodramatic flare (and wonderfully bombastic horror movie music stinging every revelation, every plot, every glare), by the arrival of a scheming, psychotic housemaid with designs on the man of the house, a piano teacher to the young female workers at a local factory. The second half of the movie is a delirious, emotionally draining slalom of suspicion, surveillance, accusation-hurling, attempted murder and actual murder that nearly matches anything Hitchcock was doing at the time. An excellent starter film for those looking to better understand the altogether unique style of Korean melodrama that dominates even today. This is actually the second film from this period that struck me in its upfront sexuality and forthright dissection of supposed Korean social norms; the other was A SEASIDE VILLAGE (1965). That film is on DVD. This one isn't, so The Auteurs is your best chance of seeing it, at least for now.
http://koreanfilm.org/kfilm60s.html#housemaid

Also streaming for free:

ONIBABA (1964) Criterion Version
http://www.theauteurs.com/films/665
Already have the DVD of this, but for those who don't and want to see a great movie . . .

Not Asian, but still cool:

EYES WITHOUT A FACE (1960) Criterion Version
http://www.theauteurs.com/films/950
Been wanting to blind buy this for years; nice to have a "preview" to help in the decision. :)

CARNIVAL OF SOULS (1962) Criterion Version 8)
http://www.theauteurs.com/films/607

SISTERS (1973) Criterion Version
http://www.theauteurs.com/films/377

Full list here, including other freebies:
http://www.theauteurs.com/films?viewable=1
Brian Thibodeau

Re: Streaming legal Asian movies

Postby Colin Geddes » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:49 pm

Curious to know about other sources for streaming of Asian films.

I was involved briefly with Jaman and tried to help them spread the word, but there seemed to be a turn over on their staff that I dealt with and the new staff didn't follow up.
Colin Geddes

Return to Asian Movies