My Wife Is A Gangster 3 (Variety Review)

Discussions on Asian cinemas: Japanese, Korean, Thai, ....

My Wife Is A Gangster 3 (Variety Review)

Postby dleedlee » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:51 am

"My Wife Is A Gangster 3"

Written by Derek Elley
Friday, 09 March 2007

"My Wife Is A Gangster"
("Jopok Manura 3") (South Korea)

A Showbox/Mediaplex release of a Hyunjin Cinema production. (International sales: Showbox, Seoul.) Produced by Lee Sun-yeol. Executive producers, Kim Woo-taek, Jeong Tae-seong. Directed by Jo Jin-gyu. Screenplay, Kim Eui-chan, Jeong Eui-mok, Gye Yun-shik.

With: Shu Qi, Lee Beom-su, Hyeon Yeong, Oh Ji-ho, Jo Heui-bong.
(Korean, Mandarin, Cantonese dialogue)

It's hardly fair to judge "My Wife Is a Gangster 3" by the franchise's standards as, effectively, it bears no relation to the two previous comedy-actioners starring actress Shin Eun-gyeong. But at any level, except as a vehicle for popular Korean comic Lee Beom-su ("Wet Dreams," "City of Violence"), pic is an over-long disappointment, showing the difficulties of merging the very different Hong Kong and South Korean action genres. Taiwan-born superbabe Shu Qi is sidelined in the title role, and action sequences are few and generally below par.

Biggest surprise is that pic was helmed by the 2001 original's Jo Jin-gyu. Korean B.O. straddling the New Year was a respectable 1.4 million admissions; but despite having been sold widely throughout Asia, pic looks likely to struggle offshore with non-Korean auds.

After ditching the original idea of actresses Shin and Zhang Ziyi (who had a cameo in "2") facing off in China, the story was totally changed, recast and relocated. Shu plays the half-Korean daughter of embattled Hong Kong crime lord Lim (Shaw Brothers vet Ti Lung). Until things cool down, she goes into hiding in South Korea under the "protection" of wannabe tough guy Gi-cheol (Lee).

With neither speaking the other's language, and Shu with a get-me-out-of-here look on her face, chemistry between the two leads is zero. Pic is largely a comic showcase for Lee's bumbling antics, with Shu showing her sexy action mettle only in a brief finale back in Hong Kong.

Wittiest perf actually comes from Korean actress Hyeon Yeong, as an interpreter who deliberately mistranslates the leads' confrontational dialogue. Final set-to in Hong Kong looks as though it's been helmed by other hands, with way more flavorsome lensing, color, pacing and choreography, hinting at what the movie could have been.

Camera (color, widescreen), Baek Dong-hyeon; editors, Park Gok-ji, Jeong Jin-heui; music, Park Se-jun; art director, Park Il-hyeon; costume designer, Diana Lee; sound (Dolby Digital), Jeong Gwang-ho; martial arts choreographer, Weon Jin. Reviewed at Berlin Film Festival (market), Feb. 11, 2007. Running time: 115 MIN.

http://www.varietyasiaonline.com/content/view/920/1/
Last edited by dleedlee on Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
???? Better to light a candle than curse the darkness; Measure twice, cut once.
Pinyin to Wade-Giles. Cantonese names file
dleedlee
HKMDB Immortal

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:58 pm

From that review:

Final set-to in Hong Kong looks as though it's been helmed by other hands, with way more flavorsome lensing, color, pacing and choreography, hinting at what the movie could have been.

I'd be very curious to know if there's any truth behind this, and why Hong Kong filmmakers didn't come up with this whole series in the first place! It would have been SO much better. :D
Brian Thibodeau

Postby MrBooth » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:13 pm

I loved the first film in the series, but thought the 2nd was an atrocity (already completely unrelated to the first, with memory loss being used as an excused for a complete character change). Not feeling very motivated to see the 3rd after reading this :roll:
MrBooth
HKMDB Immortal

Postby ewaffle » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:09 am

MrBooth wrote:I loved the first film in the series, but thought the 2nd was an atrocity (already completely unrelated to the first, with memory loss being used as an excused for a complete character change). Not feeling very motivated to see the 3rd after reading this :roll:

I agree. There were some hilarious bits in the first one, including Eun-Kyung Shin trying to keep new husband Sang-Myeon Park from seeing her naked since she has such large and highly detailed Traid tattoos. Both leads were terrific as were the gang underlings.

I kept waiting for the second one to take off, which it didn't--the burden of the silly memory loss device was just too great to overcome. Maybe they should have found a long lost twin sister, like a female Ken Lee as used in A Better Tomorrow II.

There hasn't been anything in the publicity material or reviews to make me think the third one would be worth getting.
ewaffle

Postby dleedlee » Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:39 pm

MrBooth wrote:I loved the first film in the series, but thought the 2nd was an atrocity (already completely unrelated to the first, with memory loss being used as an excused for a complete character change). Not feeling very motivated to see the 3rd after reading this :roll:

Hmmph, I guess Gangster 2 will stay in my pile for now, then.
???? Better to light a candle than curse the darkness; Measure twice, cut once.
Pinyin to Wade-Giles. Cantonese names file
dleedlee
HKMDB Immortal

Return to Asian Movies