2007: The Digital Scrounge

Discussions on Asian cinemas: Japanese, Korean, Thai, ....

Postby Bearserk » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:02 pm

Since some of the titles I've ordered has gone OOP :cry: I had some more to use on other titles :)

Legend About Hunting Ghost Volume 1 - Just had to have these 4 little gems after Brian posted the cover for the second movie in the series
Legend About Hunting Ghost Volume 3
Legend About Hunting Ghost Volume 4
Legend About Hunting Ghost Volume 5
A Knife-Shooter [HKMDB] - Weird title, and it got Simon in it
Witchcraft VS Curse [HKMDB] - Another movie I had to have because of you Brian :)
A Friend's Wife - decided to get a few more of Simon's movies as well, since he's in the spotlight here these days
Heartbreak Motel - Another one
Dating a Vampire [HKMDB] - Also felt the urge for some more vampire flicks, so here are the first :)
Vampire Family [HKMDB] - Cover is kinda cheap in a bad way, but decided to give it a try anyway.
Vampire Settle on Police Camp [HKMDB] - Early 90's vampire movie with Sandra Ng, hopefully better than the HKFlix rating gives impression of
My Honeymoon With a Vampire - Sophie Ngan Vampire movie, which seems to be missing from the DB
The Vampire Combat [HKMDB] - Another Vampire movie
The Gigolo Revelation [HKMDB] - Good Old Charlie at it again :D
Pink Killer - Seems to be missing from the DB, though I haven't really checked that much for any of the titles
Mysterious Story 1 - Please Come Back [HKMDB] - Decided to round it all off with some movies with the king
Moods of Love [HKMDB] - Simon, Charlie and Elvis, this have to be a winner :D
Bodyguards
The Soft Rod [HKMDB] - One of the greatest titles ever :D
Modern Red Chamber Box Set - First of 2 box sets I decided t order despite not having english subs
Emperor in Lust
Xue Ren Shi Leng - Not quite sure what this is, but it has english subs and Elvis stars in it :)
Dynasty Tong Box Set
Bearserk
Chief Image Editor

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:03 pm

Mysterious Story 1 - Please Come Back [HKMDB] - Decided to round it all off with some movies with the king

At the warehouse store where I've been buying the cheap VCDs lately, they have a big stack of MYSTERIOUS STORY 2 discs, but nothing for part 1. Hmmm, perhaps you'll need to swap me for LEGEND ABOUT HUNTING GHOST 2, but then again, that's such a gem, I'm not sure I could part with it. :lol:

A Friend's Wife - decided to get a few more of Simon's movies as well, since he's in the spotlight here these days

Y'know, I suspect if we were to upload every movie that Simon's ever been in, we'd blow out Bob's server for sure. :P
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Bearserk » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:15 pm

Brian Thibodeau wrote:At the warehouse store where I've been buying the cheap VCDs lately, they have a big stack of MYSTERIOUS STORY 2 discs, but nothing for part 1. Hmmm, perhaps you'll need to swap me for LEGEND ABOUT HUNTING GHOST 2, but then again, that's such a gem, I'm not sure I could part with it. :lol:

hehe :lol: Mysterious Story 2 is kinda tempting even though I haven't seen the first yet.
I saw that PokerIndustries had Legend About Hunting Ghost 2 listed, so I just have to get back home, as I can't for the life of me remember the password to my account there, and ordered it :)

Brian Thibodeau wrote:Y'know, I suspect if we were to upload every movie that Simon's ever been in, we'd blow out Bob's server for sure. :P

Hehe, yeah he sure has starred in a lot, to bad so much of it is not subbed :cry: making it more or less unwatchable for me.
Bearserk
Chief Image Editor

Postby dleedlee » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:10 pm

Vampire Settle on Police Camp [HKMDB] - Early 90's vampire movie with Sandra Ng, hopefully better than the HKFlix rating gives impression of

I picked up a mainland version sometime last year. It was full frame and a snoozer. It was heavily cut too, some 13 minutes shorter than reported elsewhere.
???? Better to light a candle than curse the darkness; Measure twice, cut once.
Pinyin to Wade-Giles. Cantonese names file
dleedlee
HKMDB Immortal

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:37 pm

I picked up a mainland version sometime last year. It was full frame and a snoozer. It was heavily cut too, some 13 minutes shorter than reported elsewher

I have a "wishlist" at Poker that is loaded with cheap mainland DVDs of obscure (but often great) action movies from the 80's and 90's that have yet to be given official releases out of Hong Kong, but I've yet to add a single one to a cart, even during the latest sales. The running times so rarely match up to available statistics that I'd rather just find the Hong Kong VCD version if that's the best alternative. Plus, when I think of how awful the "mainland endings" were for films like SPL and INFERNAL AFFAIRS, I just cringe at thinking what little surprises these discs may hold in store! Hell, people in China probably don't buy these things! :lol:
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Bearserk » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:51 pm

dleedlee wrote:I picked up a mainland version sometime last year. It was full frame and a snoozer. It was heavily cut too, some 13 minutes shorter than reported elsewhere.

I've actually managed to order the WS edition, which off course doesn't have any subs, oh well, just have to order the other version later if the movie looks nice.

Just took advantage off the PokerIndustries sale to order a few more titles :)

Temptation of a Monk [HKMDB]
Yu Pui Tsuen 2 [HKMDB] - I've wanted this for quite a while, but have always put it on hold due to the price tag, so better make good use of the 40% off, now if I only could get hold of the first movie in the trilogy
Legend About Hunting Ghost 2 - The reason I decided to place an order with PokerIndustries in the first place, hopefully they have it in stock :)
Chase a Fortune [HKMDB]
Woman in Lust [HKMDB]
Bearserk
Chief Image Editor

Postby Bearserk » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:51 pm

Just had to have a few more :)

Raped By An Angel 4 - The Raper's Union [HKMDB] - Finally looks like I'll get hold of the 4th movie, which I've been missing for a long long time
Key To Fortune [HKMDB] - A few more Cat.3 flicks
Man of Nasty Spirit [HKMDB]
Stooges in Hong Kong [HKMDB]
Chicken Shooting Heroes - And to finish it all off, a movie which seems to be missing from the DB

There, that should keep me occupied at least till after summer :)
Bearserk
Chief Image Editor

Postby Masterofoneinchpunch » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:43 pm

Damn you guys for getting so much (Bearserk, Brian, everyone else :-D). Actually I'm more jealous on where you can find the time to watch so much. I'm usually happy getting one or more Asian film per week (especially since I've been catching up on Criterion; about 130 of those :-)).

This week got the rest of the Lone Wolf and Cub series I was missing (2,4,5,6). Watched the Lost Swordship (so far the worst film I've seen from the Rarescope series; just noticed there are no reviews here; maybe I'll write it after I finish my Police Story review :-D) and Sanjuro which I recommend for those who haven't seen this Jidai Geki film though it is not as good as Yojimbo.
My Amazon Reviews

“That’s Icky to Infinity.” – The Tick
Masterofoneinchpunch

Postby Bearserk » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:32 pm

Well, time is one of the bigger problems, have a rather huge backlog of titles to watch by now :)
But hopefully I will get to work through some of them during the summer, in the meantime I just have a few more titles to choose from when I do have the time :)
130 criterion titles :shock: I wish my collection of them where even remotely close to that, but my 14 or so Cirterion titles doesn't even come close, not that it matters though, haven't had time to watch the onces I own yet anyway :)
Bearserk
Chief Image Editor

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:43 am

Damn you guys for getting so much (Bearserk, Brian, everyone else ). Actually I'm more jealous on where you can find the time to watch so much. I'm usually happy getting one or more Asian film per week (especially since I've been catching up on Criterion; about 130 of those ).

Time's always a problem when you have an addiction like this! :lol:

During the better part of the past four years, my 60-hour-a-week job and my relationship managed to eat up such a good chunk of time that it would literally take me about three days to watch one single film—even some 90-minute potboiler from Hong Kong—in bite-size installments at breakfast and before I'd go to bed. On the weekends, I'd try to fit in a movie or two in one sitting, but more often I would end up outdoors in the nicer weather.

My new job nets me about 40 hours a week max, and my girlfriend, who's here in the city with me, lives about 15 minutes away and is busily involved in her business affairs as of late, plus my drive home is about half what it used to be, so the spare time has actually been absolute heaven! I try to watch a movie a night, sometimes in 2x speed if it's a real slog, and then a handful on the weekends. Of course, it's a super-shitty winter here at the moment, so that makes things even easier...

Now, Bearserk, on the other hand, that boy's got issues. :lol:
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Mike Thomason » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:59 am

Hey, remember me? I couldn't been a contender...and all that... :P

The Art Of Seduction (South Korea) (DVD) (2-disc SE)
Il Mare (South Korea) (DVD) (3-disc LE incl. OST)
The Legend Of Evil Lake (South Korea) (DVD) (2-disc SE)
Libera Me (South Korea) (DVD) (2-disc SE)
A Perfect Match (South Korea) (DVD) (2-disc SE)
Sympathy For Lady Vengeance (South Korea) (DVD) (2-disc SE with "Fade to B&W" version)

...it's almost getting to the "What's a Hong Kong movie?" stage! :shock:
Mike Thomason

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:53 am

...it's almost getting to the "What's a Hong Kong movie?" stage!

Heheh! Less competition for me, then! :lol: And so many undiscovered goodies (and baddies ;) ) out there that everyone seems to have missed over the past ten years, it's crazy!

I can understand the need to turn away from HK cinema now that it's kinda blown its course (seemingly) and Korean cinema's all the fashion (and often much better for couples to enjoy. Hint hint!), but having come off a long Korean bender awhile ago, and with all these recent bargain bin hauls, I sometimes find myself at the opposite stage to you, Mike: "What's a Korean film?" I think I simply bought and watched so many, and realized they have have nowhere near the diversity that Hong Kong cinema does (event though they're of a consistently higher quality), and had to come back to where it all started for me. Not that that has stopped me buying Korean movies for future viewing. My girlfriend would kill me if I did that! :lol: :lol:

Nonetheless, I decided to spend this week's "Free Thursday" (I work four days a week for the moment) at a nearby Chinese Mall. Well, actually, I'd planned on hitting about three of them, but ended up spending a good two hours in one store after I noticed the sign posted above the VCDs that said "7 for $10" and another above their DVDs that said "7 for $20." And this just AFTER I'd placed a big order with Poker using their 40% off coupon (more on that in a future post, perhaps). Mind you, this is stuff that's been sitting around for awhile, and I deliberately avoided the mounds of common stuff you can read about everywhere in favour of the usual mix of lesser-knowns, unknowns, and outright B's.

In fact, I dare say that this is arguably a GREAT time to get into Hong Kong cinema because the prices are dropping like crazy. I'm sure Mike and others would argue that that's because it's a dying form with dying interest (including his own, it seems), but really, the number of films that I saw there (only some of which I purchased) that aren't in this database or any other, or that are poorly defined and un-reviewed if they are, was staggering.

As I've said before in this thread, there seems to be a core list of maybe 200 to 300 films that everyone knows they must watch if they really want to appreciate Hong Kong cinema, and may be another hundred or two from the 60's/70's Shaw era, because they turn up in every book and website on the subject. But there's a lot of stuff I'm finding that I firmly believe fell through the cracks as everybody raced to get their hands on the "must haves."

True, a lot of these titles are far from "must haves," but others, such as FATAL PASSION, which I mentioned a few pages back, would surely be a must-have movie if someone had ever bothered to include it in a film book or do an in-depth review on a key website. But such is life.

As to these cheaper and cheaper prices, well, I can't imagine that this is a "Toronto Only" thing. Surely those of you who live in or near big cities—or could make a daytrip to one—might be rewarded by venturing into the nearest Chinatown to take advantage of similar sell-offs.

Anyways, here's this week's haul. 28 VCD's for $40 and 7 DVDs for another $20. The store was nice enough not to charge me tax, either, which is the first time they've ever done that, especially considering they're one of the few sellers of legit DVDs in the entire mall!

And for about $1.43 apiece, some of these can afford to suck. :lol:

DELTAMAC reissue VCDs:
MERRY CHRISTMAS (Leslie Cheung, Karl Maka)
WINNER TAKES ALL (Alan Tang, Olivia Cheng)
THE PERFECT MATCH (Frankie Chan)
MR. SMART (Kent Cheng)
COUP DE GRACE (Michelle Reis, Nat Chan, directed by Yeun Cheung Yan)
TO SPY WITH LOVE (Teddy Robin, Nina Li)
LOST SOULS (Bill and Lydia)
WHO'S THE CROOK (Anthony Tang, Sandy Lam)
THREE AGAINST THE WORLD (Teddy Robin, Andy Lau)

Also From Deltamac VCD
GIVE THEM A CHANCE (2003, Andy Hui, directed by Herman Yau) Saw a trailer for this years ago and thought it had potential.

From Mei Ah VCD
THE LION ROARS (Cecilia Cheung, Louis Koo)
RUN DON'T WALK (Ti Lung, Richard Ng, remake of THREE FUGITIVES, itself a remake, none of which bodes well, but we'll see)
TWINKLE TWINKLE LUCKY STAR (Anita Yuen, Nat Chan, Christy Chung)
KUNG FU KID (1994, Chin Ka-lok)
THE DAY THAT DOESN'T EXIST (Anthony Wong)

From Universe VCD
HOW DEEP IS YOUR LOVE (Charlie Yeung, Wu Chien Lien, Max Mok)
ONE EYE OPEN (not in the database. Yet. ;) )
THE SWORD OF MANY LOVES (Leon Lai, Sharla Cheung)
STAR RUNNER (Vaness Vu, Andy On)
TIME AFTER TIME (1992, not in the DB, though it came up in a recent thread regarding the mysterious credit "M.B.S." which appears here several times, as it does in a couple of other films from the period. This is a not-bad remake of Petersen's SHATTERED from the year before it)

From Megastar/ChinaStar VCD
YESTERYOU, YESTERME, YESTERDAY (Eric Tsang, Petrina Fung, plus I'm a huge fan of the director)
CRAZY WOMEN (Sandra Ng, Ng Suet Man, another title poorly represented in the DB. Hope to change that in the weeks ahead)
PUBLIC TOILET (Fruit Chan, ditto above)

Others
BOXER'S STORY (Yuen Biao, Gloria Yip)
THE SASSY CLASSMATE (beach-set horror comedy not in the DB. Watched it today; pretty bad, but lots of swimsuits, for what it's worth)
MY SASSY BOYFRIEND (Cheung Tat-ming, Fennie Yuen, directorial debut of editor Wenders Li) Kinda surprised this one's not in the DB, but I guess it will be soon.
STUNNING REVELATION (Gabriel Harrison, Nicola Cheung, not in the DB)
MY WIFE CAN FIGHT (Wayne Lai, Jade Leung, added VCD sleeve scan to the DB entry)
EYE FOR AN EYE (Angie Cheung, Michael Tong) This is one of the rare Hong Kong remake/steals that actually IMPROVES on the original in some ways, in this case the original being John Schlesinger's same-named 1996 movie starring Sally Field. Angie Cheung is fantastic in this!)

And of course, I just couldn't go shopping without picking up a little Simon Loui. In this case:

HONG KONG SPICE GALS (Simon Loui, Diana Pang Dan) Watched this yesterday. Horrible movie. Simon's OK as always, but what a complete mess this is. Desperately needed a Cat. III rating to make it even remotely interesting. Oh well, can't win 'em all, Simon!
SEAMY SIDE OF LIFE II: CRYING STARS (Simon Loui, Anita Chan)

And finally, the seven DVDs (all originals, factory sealed, at about $2.86 apiece. Is niiiice!)

TOUGH COP INSIDE (Modern; more Simon!)
GIGOLO & WHORE II (Universe; more Simon...YAM!)
MIDNIGHT CALLER (Widesight, Michael Wong, Diana Pang Dan) According to STSH's review, one needs to have the frame-by-frame button at the ready. :lol:
DREAM LOVERS (old Megastar; Chow Yun-fat, Brigitte Lin) Can't believe this still has the original $24.95 sticker on the back)
IRRESISTABLE PIGGIES (Mei Ah; Karen Mok, Michelle Reis)
HOCUS POCUS (Deltamac reissue; Lam Ching-ying, Stephen Tung) Not much in the DB for reviews, but looks like this was a modest box-office hit at the time)
NO COMPROMISE (Universe; Danny Lee, Do Do Cheng)

I really need to avoid this shop in the week ahead, but it will be difficult. Moreso if they further reduce the remaining stock. :roll:
Brian Thibodeau

Postby MrBooth » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:19 am

I had a look around a shop in SF Chinatown today that also has a bunch of VCDs and DVDs in cheap clearout sections (though still nowhere near as cheap as your local shops - probably because they've been through Tai Seng on their way). I saw lots of films I'd never heard of, and thought about picking up a bunch for research - but without an internet connection in the shop, I wouldn't know which are already well covered here or you've already picked up. Given that I don't even seem to get around to watching most of the films I already bought and really do want to watch, I can't quite bring myself to buy a bunch of VCDs I know for sure will never get seen (unless I send them to you :-p).

Maybe if they drop the price a bit further though... :wink:
MrBooth
HKMDB Immortal

Postby Bearserk » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:07 am

That was a very nice price indeed :D

Haven't seen or heard about most off them so looking forward to hear your opinion.

Merry Christmas, is a rather nice "silly" comedy with Karl Maka as a single father of 3 children, Danny Chan, Rachel Lee and Cyrus Wong, and with Paula Tsui as his love interest, I enjoyed this quite a bit, but I'm a sucker for these movies :)

The Lion Roars, this one was a real struggle to get through, had to try 3 times before I finally managed to get through the whole movie, horribly boring movie which didn't even managed to bring a smile to my mouth once. If you want a fun movie with Cecilia Cheung, then Honesty is a much better choice.

Hong Kong Spice Gals, one of the titles which was OOP when I ordered it, maybe it was fate :P

Many titles which sounded interesting, and you even managed to bolster your Simon collection quite a bit :D
Bearserk
Chief Image Editor

Postby Mike Thomason » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:08 am

Death Note 2 The Last Name (Japan) (DVD)
Marrying High School Girl (South Korea) (DVD)
Last edited by Mike Thomason on Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Thomason

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:46 pm

I can't quite bring myself to buy a bunch of VCDs I know for sure will never get seen (unless I send them to you :-p).

Hmmm...Not a bad idea. :lol:

As far as picking movies that have little coverage here or elsewhere, that's more of a side-effect of grabbing fistfuls of these things at a time, rather than being consciously aware of gaps that need filling. In fact, as my posts point out, I'll generally grab anything, so long as I haven't seen it yet. This has led to surprisingly few duplicates over the past few months as well, which is kind of shocking. Scary when you actually have somewhat of a mental catalogue going on in your head. :oops:

Maybe if they drop the price a bit further though...

I'd say that's likely. It might take a bit longer in San Francisco, but it's always worth checking back. It wasn't too many years ago that virtually everything I'm buying was minimum $10.

On an unrelated note, I watched a cool little sorta-heroic bloodshed flick called FINAL EDGE last night (another bargain VCD) and was very impressed. Phillip Ko executive produced and choreographed the battle scenes, and as one of the few people keeping the 90's HK spirit alive post-2000, he fared pretty well on this one, despite some story flaws. I tossed a review in the DB, but I have to say Ko seems to be one of the few guys who knew Lily Chung would look good kicking ass instead of just showing it off.
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Mike Thomason » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:13 pm

Brian Thibodeau wrote:I'm sure Mike and others would argue that that's because it's a dying form with dying interest (including his own, it seems)...

And to that I say: who saw Benz Kong's Twins Mission in the cinemas? Who's looking forward to the DVD releases of It's a Wonderful Life, Happy Birthday, Protege and Lady Iron Chef because he didn't have time to see them all in the cinemas when he had the chance? Yep, that would be me... :P

I'll never give up on Hong Kong cinema -- in fact, I'll continue keeping abreast of the majority of major (and minor) commercial theatrical releases from the region every year; I dare say that I saw MORE Hong Kong movies produced in the 2006 calendar year than anyone else here (including those working amongst my ex-editor team), and the same will go for the 2007 calendar year too.

But I am at an age and interest level where I need other things and different cultural slants to help prop up my interest in HK cinema in between films; my interest isn't fading...it's just being spread out amongst a wider scope of films from a wider range of Asian regions, that's all.

Man does not live on bread alone...etc etc etc...
Mike Thomason

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:04 pm

I dare say that I saw MORE Hong Kong movies produced in the 2006 calendar year than anyone else here (including those working amongst my ex-editor team), and the same will go for the 2007 calendar year too.

And I'd be willing to bet that I've got most, if not all, of those movies sitting in my pile for future viewing :oops: , despite not having contributed much to last year's thread, so while I may not be up to snuff when it comes to watching current fare (and I can only speak for myself)—beyond making sure as much of it as possible is in my grubby little hands for down the road—I dare counter that some of us have watched nearly as many, as many, and in some cases MORE actual Hong Kong movies in 2006 from across a variety of production years and levels of quality (including the ever present DTV stuff) including those years where the industry was still busy and it wasn't so easy to view Hong Kong's entire output. And from those years, I doubt anybody watched everything. And that's the stuff that's most in need of being recognized and isn't. So that's where I've been spending my time...

But I am at an age and interest level where I need other things and different cultural slants to help prop up my interest in HK cinema in between films; my interest isn't fading...it's just being spread out amongst a wider scope of films from a wider range of Asian regions, that's all.

This I can totally understand. :wink:
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Masterofoneinchpunch » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:38 pm

Bought Burmese Harp on Criterion (http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=379) from Japanese director Kon Ichikawa.

Deepdiscount has a Criterion sale going right now (ending the 16th I believe). Good chance to catch up on Ozu, Kurosawa and/or Suzuki (if you are into that).

Because of injuries got to see more Asian cinema this week than normal -- Ong Bak for the second time, Drunken Dragon, Seven Swords.

This has been asked before but has anyone seen the Tai Seng Seven Swordsmen series? I was a little disappointed with Seven Swords. For a film its length it feels hurried in storytelling. I cannot believe some compared this to Seven Samurai. I think a great movie could be made of the original story (unless it has already been done with the Seven Swordsmen series).

But Drunken Dragon was an interesting watch (yet another film with Phillip Ko). It is obviously a Jackie Chan influenced indie HK but it is rather strange. Where else do you get a candle-headed villain, a strip teasing grandmother played by a man, an eccentric uncle who talks to paintings and has a house a bit like Fearless Hyena 2 (and a gun with a Mercedes Benz symbol on it), legs being cut off, peeing jokes (ok there are lots of films with this) and a large kick-ass wife who makes cannibal like dishes. Quite bizarre until the third act which is the normal sifu/secret MA technique/revenge/cut-off-ending ending.
Last edited by Masterofoneinchpunch on Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Amazon Reviews

Masterofoneinchpunch

Postby dleedlee » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:49 pm

This has been asked before but has anyone seen the Tai Seng Seven Swordsmen series? I was a little disappointed with Seven Swords. For a film its length it feels hurried in storytelling. I cannot believe some compared this to Seven Samurai.

I bought it for my dad last year. I watched the first 30-45 minutes or so with him, so I can't really judge, the characters were just being introduced. I didn't care for the action scenes I saw. It was the tight closeup variety where you can't see anything or get a good sense of what was going on. Sorry, I can't be more helpful.
???? Better to light a candle than curse the darkness; Measure twice, cut once.
Pinyin to Wade-Giles. Cantonese names file
dleedlee
HKMDB Immortal

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:47 pm

But Drunken Dragon was an interesting watch (yet another film with Phillip Ko). It is obviously a Jackie Chan influenced indie HK but it is rather strange. Where else do you get a candle-headed villain, a strip teasing grandmother played by a man, an eccentric uncle who talks to paintings and has a house a bit like Fearless Hyena 2 (and a gun with a Mercedes Benz symbol on it), legs being cut off, peeing jokes (ok there are lots of films with this) and a large kick-ass wife who makes cannibal like dishes. Quite bizarre until the third act which is the normal sifu/secret MA technique/revenge/cut-off-ending ending.

Now THAT sounds entertaining. I've barely touched the "old school" portion of my collection—and there's a lot of it just sitting there these days—but this sounds like a kooky one to start with when the time comes. :lol: I assume that's the Rarescope DVD you watched? What's the quality like on that disc? I haven't heard overly great things about the series, but I have six of 'em nonetheless.

-------------------------

Just got back from an afternoon scoping out some of the smaller cities North of the big city here with my girlfriend (for business reasons), but we couldn't resist a visit to a couple of the Chinese malls. I actually didn't by anything—which was surprising even to me—but I was dismayed to learn one of my sources for $2 VCDs has been booted out of the mall they were in. Paper over the windows and even a notice on the door from the landlords. Too bad, cause they were one of the only places selling legit movies and music in the whole mall! Fortunately, they have two other locations in the city, one not too far from my apartment, so I'm hoping that onje or both of these shops might have taken on the excess stock. Thus I'm thinking I might take a quick trip down the street in a few minutes, just to satisfy my curiosity. :lol: It'd be a damned shame if the whole chain went under, but it wouldn't necessarily be surprising, considering the competition from bootleggers they've faced for the past seven years or so. :(

On the plus side, the Chinese mall next to the Chinese mall where this place closed up shop has a new video/music retailer in it that sells nothing but new product. I was quite happily stunned when I realized everything they were selling was legitimate, and at prices generally comparible to the average online retailers. In a mall absolutely jam-packed with bootleggers, I've gotta give them credit for even trying to stay above the board. I'll give them what I can, but I'll also likely be their worst vulture if they end up selling off stock cheap because they can't survive. :oops:
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Masterofoneinchpunch » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:22 pm

thanks dleedlee on reply; with little time as it is (and unless someone has wonderful things about the series; I probably will not buy)

Brian, I have four of the Rarescope (they vary in quality).

ON Drunken Dragon (Rarescope): video quality is OK (interesting film though; I forsee a future review :-D). Now there are two different versions (with very little quality difference; though I've read they only worked with one print so I'm confused at their approach to putting this on the DVD): one with Cantonese and subtitles; they are non-removable and are dubtitles and the other one has English soundtrack. You will notice that the cover states Cantonese (correct) while the disk states Mandarin (incorrect). Since they are on different tracks you cannot switch sound or subtitles (or turn them off).

The subtitles are not the worst burnt in titles I've seen like the ones that list Korean, Chinese and English characters and they tend to be below the picture which is good (dubtitles which is bad).

Now I did get some pixalization on the Cantonese track; I had no problems with the English track.

Now the extras are small but somewhat interesting. There is a demo by William Yen (who has a very very small role in the film) and an interview with Ko (though it looks like it was bought since it doesn't even mention this film). I find it funny that he practically disses all new (well newer) performers (though Chan has said the same thing).

I also forgot to mention the land rowboat fighting machine and esoteric Taoist practices in the film too.
My Amazon Reviews

Masterofoneinchpunch

Postby Mike Thomason » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:45 am

Another Public Enemy (South Korea) (DVD)
Cinderella (South Korea) (DVD)
Gangster High (South Korea) (DVD)
Marrying The Mafia 3: Family Hustle (South Korea) (DVD)
Time (South Korea) (DVD)
The Uninvited (South Korea) (DVD)
Woman On The Beach (South Korea) (DVD)
Last edited by Mike Thomason on Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
Mike Thomason

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:06 am

A few odds 'n sods from this past weekend, including an order from Poker's 40% off sale. Not unexpectedly, some of the items ordered were out of stock (including LEGEND ABOUT HUNTING GHOST 1, which I'm sure Bearserk probably scooped up the last one!), but the majority was still available. Probably helps that I seem to be in the minority when it comes to buying the non-martial arts Shaw titles.

The Poker Order

VCDs

BODY PUZZLE Patrick Tam, Kent Cheng (Deltamac)
GLASS TEARS Zeny Kwok, Lo Lieh (Mei Ah)
DIAMOND HILL Cheung Tat-Ming, Carrie Ng (Deltamac; have a strange feeling this is a duplicate, but for the price, I can live with that)

SHAW VCDs (Celestial IVL)
A TIME FOR LOVE Lily Ho
THE SUGAR DADDIES Tsung Hua (another duplicate, I fear, as I didn't check the saved cart close enough before checking out!)
SUMMER HEAT Jenny Hu
THE YELLOW MUFFLER Betty Ting Pei
WOMAN OF THE NIGHT Tanny Tien Ni
THIRTEEN Ling Yun, Chin Han
MURDERER PURSUES Danny Lee, Ray Lui
LITTLE DRAGON MAIDEN Leslie Cheung (I suspect I'm probably the last guy around here to actually pick up this early Shaw re-release)
THE HUMAN GODDESS Li Ching
THE SILENT LOVE Ivy Ling Po

Shaw DVDs
SEXY GIRLS OF DENMARK Li Ching
THE CALL GIRLS Danny Lee, Chen Ping (the sleeve says this is based on a scandal that "rocked the 70s movie world." Anyone know what that was?)
BRUCE LEE & I Danny Lee, Betty Ting Pei
THE LARK Peter Chen Ho, Carrie Ku Mei (this one came with the bonus 22-track Shaw Brothers Karaoke DVD that I've been trying to find for ages ever since I passed it up at a Chinatown shop)

Other DVDs
TO ERR IS HUMANE Joey Wong, Kenny Bee (Deltamac)
SECRET SOCIETY - BOSS
SECRET SOCIETY - THE BEST HACK
between them, these feature stalwarts Frankie Ng, Lee Siu-kei, Karel Wong, Michael Tse, Vincent Wan, Bobby Yip and on and on. I've seen some of Nam Yin's other video productions from this period lately and, to be honest, some of them are not bad. Not great either, but hardly DTV dreck when taken in context. If these are just OK, I'll be happy.
THE STING II Andy Lau, Tony Leung. Hated the first one (with Simon Loui no less!), but figured I should be a completist.
YES MADAM 5 Cynthia Khan (surprisingly enought, Ed Waffle's largely-negative review in the DB convinced me to finally spring for this cheapie. How screwy is that?)
YOU SHOOT, I SHOOT (Special Edition) Cheung Tat-ming, Eric Kot. This all-time favourite is a replacement for a loaned out DVD that never came back! :evil:

And, just to make sure I don't let Bearserk have all the fun, a few Cat. III DVD pieces:

GIGOLO CLUB Grace Wong, Ruby Wong
TEMPTATION SUMMARY II Tsui Man-wah, Li Chung-ling
FORBIDDEN WET TALES Emily Kwan, Serizawa Haruka (so bizarre to see a solid actress like Emily Kwan in so many B-movies like this, with a Japanese hardcore starlet, no less. Who'd she piss off earlier in her career? Then again, she DOES play a cigar-chomping lesbian nazi in the NIGHT PORTER homage in this, so...)

and Finally, another 7/$10 VCD sale batch from the Chinese mall up the street:

DUMBLY AGENT Kent Cheng (Modern)
THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE BANDIT Ray Lui, Simon Yam (Winson)
MONEY KILLS Lam Suet, Elle Choi, Ken Wong, Directed by Ally Wong (Times Production; not in the DB!!)
A JEALOUS SISTER Elvis Tsui, Gloria Yip, Ken Wong. Directed by Yip Wai-ying (Times Production; also not in the DB!!)
EXCESSIVE FORCE Fan Siu Wong. (City Connection) Simon's review of this prompted me to grab it, actually. And unlike the DVD, the VCD does have subs!
BEWARE OF PICKPOCKETS Dean Shek, Karl Maka (Deltamac Reissue)
DON'T LET THE SUN GO DOWN Wayne Lai, Emily Kwan. (Modern) Saw the trailer for this on Nam Yin's not-bad FREAKY STORY and figured it was worth a little attention. Plus Wayne and Emily are always fun to watch.
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Bearserk » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:08 pm

Brian Thibodeau wrote: some of the items ordered were out of stock (including LEGEND ABOUT HUNTING GHOST 1, which I'm sure Bearserk probably scooped up the last one!),

You can rest assured that I didn't rob you of your Legend About Hunting Ghost 1, I ordered it from somewhere else ;)
But of what I ordered from PI I only received 2 of the titles unfortunately :(

Brian Thibodeau wrote:YES MADAM 5 Cynthia Khan (surprisingly enought, Ed Waffle's largely-negative review in the DB convinced me to finally spring for this cheapie. How screwy is that?)

Cynthia is always a pleasure to watch, no matter how "bad" the movie is :)

Brian Thibodeau wrote:YOU SHOOT, I SHOOT (Special Edition) Cheung Tat-ming, Eric Kot. This all-time favourite is a replacement for a loaned out DVD that never came back! :evil:

Have this one laying around, and should really take the time to watch it, just need to find the time.

Brian Thibodeau wrote:And, just to make sure I don't let Bearserk have all the fun, a few Cat. III DVD pieces:

hehe :lol: the more the merrier :D

Brian Thibodeau wrote:GIGOLO CLUB Grace Wong, Ruby Wong
TEMPTATION SUMMARY II Tsui Man-wah, Li Chung-ling
FORBIDDEN WET TALES Emily Kwan, Serizawa Haruka (so bizarre to see a solid actress like Emily Kwan in so many B-movies like this, with a Japanese hardcore starlet, no less. Who'd she piss off earlier in her career? Then again, she DOES play a cigar-chomping lesbian nazi in the NIGHT PORTER homage in this, so...)

Ohhh, a Cat.3 movie I'm missing, need to put it on my list :)

Brian Thibodeau wrote:BEWARE OF PICKPOCKETS Dean Shek, Karl Maka (Deltamac Reissue)

And Karl Maka is always a pleasure to watch :D
Bearserk
Chief Image Editor

Postby cal42 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:46 am

I've just got back from NY, where I had the occasional jaunts to DVD shops and such. Sadly, due to sight-seeing fatigue, I only spent a couple of hours in Chinatown. However, I did manage to pick up some previously unwatched gems in a shop called Empire DVD:

Ashes of Time - No excuse for not seeing this before I suppose, but I just remember too much negative flack at the time so I never bothered. Will watch with an open mind.

Raining in the Mountain - Really excited about this! Never thought I'd be able to get my hands on a copy. To be honest, it was one of the highlights of the trip finding this nugget!

The Man from Hong Kong - I've had a quick skip through and man, this looks bad! Mind you, I love the occasional good bad film, and I'm quite looking forward to this, too. Will probably watch it tonight actually, as I'm severely jet-lagged and can't take anything too taxing.
cal42

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:37 pm

I've been wanting to see MAN FROM HONG KONG for ages now! I've been holding off waiting for the Australian special edition to come down in price, as it has some decent extras (commentary, newsreel footage, trailers, interviews), but it just never seems to happen. Is there another version out there, or is this the version you picked up?

(Incidentally, I've only seen bits of this years ago, and I didn't find it too bad. But then again, if you look back through this thread at my Shaw purchases, I tend to favour those with contemporary settings over the period martial arts stuff, not that I don't buy the latter, of course ;) )

ASHES OF TIME is a film I don't think ever really earned the negative feedback it received, especially in light of Wong Kar-wai's work both before it and after it. It always struck me that many viewers—especially newer fans of Hong Kong cinema in the west at that time, online and in print, fanzines, etc.—often seemed downright indignant that the film wasn't perfectly in league with all the other swordplay movies they'd seen up to then. As a result of reading before watching, my expectations were lowered by the time I finally got the LD (been a while, obviously!), which definitely made me more receptive to it on what I hoped was the level Wong intended. Each movie that he's made since then has basically confirmed it for me. So it's all in the approach, really... ;)
Brian Thibodeau

Postby MrBooth » Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:57 am

What label is your RAINING IN THE MOUNTAIN disc on? The only legit release I'm aware of is the French disc from <mumbles in unconvincing French>.
MrBooth
HKMDB Immortal

Postby cal42 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:30 am

Hmm, yeah, I'm not sure that Man from Hong Kong or Raining on the Mountain are strictly legit. In fact, I'm now pretty sure they're not. The MFHK had the commentary and the other extras, but was obviously cropped into 4:3. Raining in the Mountain looks a bit like my copy of Dragon Gate Inn from Red Sun, which I'm told is also a bit dodgy. I haven't watched it yet, but I've taken a look and it LOOKS all right.
cal42

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:29 am

Hey, at least you get to see it. The only other place I've seen it, at least online, is at this Australian government site, where it appears to be missing the once-steep price or any way of actually buying it.

http://shop.nfsa.afc.gov.au/prod3436.htm

Perhaps its out of print? Hell, if it wasn't for the pirates, I suppose it might have been gone for good! Curious to know your final thoughts on it, nonetheless.
Brian Thibodeau

PreviousNext

Return to Asian Movies