Pls help me out I need some recommendations

Discussions on Asian cinemas: Japanese, Korean, Thai, ....

Pls help me out I need some recommendations

Postby Action » Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:15 pm

Hi, Im new in here Im looking for two different movie types:
(1)category:
Im looking for films in which there are brute/brutal fights. Uncompromsing full contact hits in fights between fighters.(I dont want you to post expressions like "watch UFC or Pride FC",I hate such Martial Arts events, and pls post only films which you think they are woth watching. So no boring films like Heroes of the east )
-The fights should look lifelike but spectacular violently clobbering like in Ong Bak,
Tiger Cage 2,Police Story 1,Rumble in the Bronx,
Fist Of Legend,a film with lots of brutal fights like the endfight in Pedicab Driver or such hard hitting fights--> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHL9kZo2KZk
But with high intensity of Action in every flick you call.And no much use of wirework.And good camerawork.I hate such a bad camerawork like in the film Enter The Eagles!
(I dont care by which country the films are produced )

If you could help me out I would really appreciate it.THX
When you call the titles then pls say to which category it belongs to because Im looking for two different types of films

(2) category:Im also looking for action packed films or Heroic Bloodshed like Hard Boiled, The Killer etc. But only with good camerawork.I hate such a bad camerawork like in the film Enter The Eagles!I want films with good gunplay and nice shootouts or dangerous stunts,fantastic car chases or hard hitting fights etc.Actually there should be good action and much action in films,but no boring films like Enter The Eagles,Bangkok Dangerous and Cannibal Mercenary.(such genres I dislike/only sometimes I like them: as little as possible horror, Sci-Fi,Fantasy films)(I dont care by which country the films are produced, but gangsterfilms or mafia films of that kind are desireable).

if you could recommend me those types of films I'd really, really appreciate it. :P
Last edited by Action on Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Action

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:16 pm

It's always good to see someone who likes a lean, mean fight scene.

Try these two battles from the recent movie SPL (aka SHA PO LANG, aka HARVEY WEINSTEIN'S KILL ZONE :roll: ), starring Donnie Yen, Jacky Wu Jing and Sammo Hung. The movie is also very well shot, so it might fit your requirements:

Watch this first:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fXxNOQCaCI

Then this (contains PARTIAL spoiler in the last 30 seconds, so you might want to stop before that):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip9qotTDnVw
Brian Thibodeau

Postby cal42 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:43 pm

Heroes of the East a boring film? :shock: :cry:

Eastern Condors is pretty brutal at times, and probably satisfies both of your categories.

Other than that, perhaps Ringo Lam's Full Contact?
cal42

Postby Action » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:48 pm

I already know Full Contact.Its a good film.Sha Po Lang has good fights but there isnt a high intensity of action.Eastern Condors is not bad but the fights were to short. Nevertheless THX.
Action

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:52 pm

I already know Full Contact.Its a good film.Sha Po Lang has good fights but there isnt a high intensity of action.Eastern Condors is not bad but the fights were to short. Nevertheless THX.

:shock:

Well, short of a documentary that compiles non-stop fights (like THE DEADLIEST ART), I'm not so sure we'll be able to provide recommendations after all. You seem not to care so much about plot or character, just the fighting, which can be a little limiting.

I can think of lots of lesser-known late-80s and early-90's Hong Kong action films like FATAL TERMINATION, MIGHTY GAMBLER, ANGEL TERMINATORS and stuff like that that deliver on the action quotient (though not always "brutally" per se), but those probably won't meet your production quality standards as they were made in the golden era of anything-for-a-buck, triad-influenced productions, so the budgets tended to go to action scenes and not crisp production values.

Maybe the first POLICE STORY?
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Action » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:44 pm

Brian Thibodeau wrote:
I already know Full Contact.Its a good film.Sha Po Lang has good fights but there isnt a high intensity of action.Eastern Condors is good but the fights were to short. Nevertheless THX.

Maybe the first POLICE STORY?

Sorry my fault. Eastern Condors was good.But sha po lang hasnt really a high intesity of the action.
Yeah Police story one is very good especially at the end :D
Action

Postby Action » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:12 am

Brian Thibodeau wrote:

FATAL TERMINATION, MIGHTY GAMBLER, ANGEL TERMINATORS

Are these films like Extreme Crisis? Extreme Crisis has also non stop action but its very boring.Its nothing special just standard action. But I do like well choreographed gunplay like Hard Boiled or The Killer.The plot isnt unimportant. Pls @all users help me out
Action

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:58 pm

See, I found EXTREME CRISIS rather entertaining. I realize it was very derivative of America "terrorists-take-over" moviemaking, and was generally populated with non martial-artists, but it kept me well-interested for a good 100 minutes.

The three films I mentioned are more or less part of the "Girls With Guns" genre which mainlined actresses like Moon Lee, Yukari Oshima, Sibelle Hu, Sharon Yeung, etc. Most of these ladies, at least in my opinion, kick serious ass, or at least can be made to look like they can kick serious ass. So plenty of gunfights and martial arts battles and car stunts in all three (FATAL TERMINATION has a rather famous one), but a lot of the action is staged in abandoned buildings, boatyards, and other places in which it was probably more economical to shoot a movie.

I recommend all three of them to most people who as me about Hong Kong action movies from that era, but I'm still not sure if they'll give you what you're looking for. If highly regarded fights in a classic of the form like EASTERN CONDORS are too slow, and those two now-famous fights in SPL were not intense enough ( :shock: ), and HEROES FROM THE EAST was boring, I worry that you might end up watching these movies on fast forward! :D

SHE SHOOTS STRAIGHT is another Girls With Guns classic that has some very intense action scenes, at least by my measure...
Brian Thibodeau

Postby chiangkamfan » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:35 pm

check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHL9kZo2KZk

i also recommend:

fist of legend
police story 1&2
where is officer tuba
chiangkamfan

Postby chiangkamfan » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:12 pm

sorry,i didn´t see that you already knew about sing wing lui...

i also recommend tony jaa´s debut movie "spirited warrior" from ´99
chiangkamfan

Postby Gaijin84 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:33 pm

Since you mentioned Ong Bak I assume you've checked out Tom Yum Goong already?
Gaijin84
HKMDB Immortal

Postby Action » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:39 am

yes I checked it already. I read that the old Born to fight film of Panna Rittikrai is very raw hard hitting brutal in combats.
Action

Postby Action » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:37 pm

http://hkmdb.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t= ... =bloodshed
http://hkmdb.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t= ... =bloodshed

There are pretty much bloodshed movies listed in one category (heroic bloodshed/bullet ballet/girls with guns). Which of them could fit to my second category.But with good camerawork and pretty action packed as well as good shootouts and well choreographed gunplay.
Action

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:43 pm

BORN TO FIGHT is a mean little action movie. The bad guys are real pricks, killing women and children and (nearly) cripples in a poor rural village with equal abandon to get one of their own out of prison, if I recall correctly. Very DIE HARD-y in that sense, but the action scenes are NUTS in this. I saw this very shortly after ONG BAK and it's clear the best Thai action choreographers were doing their thing long before ONG BAK came to us in the west. Lots of bodies flying into things, or breaking things on their way to the ground. Some fairly brutal fights, augmented with Jackie-style acrobatics and tricks, and some fun vehicle stunts, including a rather infamous fall between two moving transport trucks (although now that I've called it infamous, your expectations will not likely be met. ;) ). And don't buy all the non-wire claims by a lot of the internet reviews of this one. OF COURSE they use wires, just like they do in Hong Kong movies that convince people they don't. It's more for jerking bodies around in realistic ways though, and not having them defy gravity and stuff like that.

The Thai DVD, though not subtitled, is usually fairly cheap at place like www.ethaicd.com. I found a quick-speed second viewing helped me understand the plot a bit better.

Here's a nice HIGH-DEF French trailer for BORN TO FIGHT (in Thai with French subs)

http://www.allocine.fr/webtv/acvision.asp?nopub=1&cvid=18395567&emission=&player=ASF&debit=HD

or in regular crapvision if the HD doesn't work:
http://www.allocine.fr/webtv/acvision.asp?nopub=1&cvid=18395554&player=ASF&debit=H&emission=
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Action » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:24 pm

Brian Thibodeau wrote:BORN TO FIGHT is a mean little action movie. The bad guys are real pricks, killing women and children and (nearly) cripples in a poor rural village with equal abandon to get one of their own out of prison, if I recall correctly. Very DIE HARD-y in that sense, but the action scenes are NUTS in this. I saw this very shortly after ONG BAK and it's clear the best Thai action choreographers were doing their thing long before ONG BAK came to us in the west. Lots of bodies flying into things, or breaking things on their way to the ground. Some fairly brutal fights, augmented with Jackie-style acrobatics and tricks, and some fun vehicle stunts, including a rather infamous fall between two moving transport trucks (although now that I've called it infamous, your expectations will not likely be met. ;) ). And don't buy all the non-wire claims by a lot of the internet reviews of this one. OF COURSE they use wires, just like they do in Hong Kong movies that convince people they don't. It's more for jerking bodies around in realistic ways though, and not having them defy gravity and stuff like that.

The Thai DVD, though not subtitled, is usually fairly cheap at place like www.ethaicd.com. I found a quick-speed second viewing helped me understand the plot a bit better.

Here's a nice HIGH-DEF French trailer for BORN TO FIGHT (in Thai with French subs)

http://www.allocine.fr/webtv/acvision.asp?nopub=1&cvid=18395567&emission=&player=ASF&debit=HD

or in regular crapvision if the HD doesn't work:
http://www.allocine.fr/webtv/acvision.asp?nopub=1&cvid=18395554&player=ASF&debit=H&emission=

I thank you for your efforts.But it is not what I asked actually. There is another Born to Fight film of Panna Rittikrai. Made in 1986 (www.tonyjaa.org/panna_bio.shtml) . I wrote on purpose the old Born to Fight.The latest Born to fight movie sux :cry:
Action

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:23 pm

The latest Born to fight movie sux

Despte all my efforts, I had a feeling down deep that you would say that if you'd seen the movie. While I don't think it's the best action movie I've ever seen, I strongly disgree with your "critique."

As such, I'm afraid I won't give any more recommendations, as I think you're being entirely too hard (and somewhat superficial) on titles that are widely regarded as excellent examples of action cinema for any number of reasons. You do not appear to be looking so much for good movies as you are for fight scenes padded to feature length. Does such a thing actually exist outside of a documentary compilation?

I guess we only have ourselves to blame, really. You made it clear in your very first post that you're only after brutality, well staged and well shot. While I agree such sequences exist, your criticisms of the movies that sometimes contain them have lead me to think that you would be happier just watching the fights, in which case there's little need to offer opinions (yours or mine) about the rest of the movie (like SPL, for example). Your focus is simply too narrow for me, as brutality and cinematography are decidedly not the only reasons the majority of contributors here got into Hong Kong cinema in the first place.

I'm thinking actual martial arts forums might be more beneficial to you, as contributors there often discuss just the fight scenes in Asian movies without getting bogged down with niggling details like plot, characterization, action construction, etc.

I wish you luck in your hunt though, and would be curious to see the kinds of titles that 100% meet your criteria, should you find them and care to post them here after you've seen them. :wink:

As an aside, I should mention that I've always found HARD BOILED and THE KILLER, two of my favourite Hong Kong films and two you mention in your opening post, to be EXTREMELY over-choreographed and stylized, and rather unrealistic as a result. Sure, they're "hard-core" or whatever the kids might be calling it these days, but they're decidedly phony, and really only succeed if the viewer accepts the "realities" they create (as in, people FLYING through windows when shot with a pistol, or things behind them EXPLODING when a bullet passes through their bodies), which again makes me wonder what kind of film will meet your standards of realistic brutality.
Brian Thibodeau

Postby Action » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:55 pm

Its just the threads' criteria.It doesnt really mean I hate that movie. Ok I want to "add" a new category of movies Im looking for. Im looking for films like Bloodshed/Bullet Ballet but they should be raw hard authentic action with more melodramatic/tragic emotions in actionscenes and in dangerous scenes not like at the end of The Killer (The unknown gangsters get killed but you dont feel sorry for him cuz he is unknown).And you can feel pitiful and are thrilled while the shootouts and men get murdered.(All actiongernes, thrillers, and mafia (mob) genres are allowed). Besides where the villains or gangster (mafias) act sagaciously and astutely and all the men (or politician,Cops etc.) can be outsmarted by them through the use of their cleverness,intelligence and cunning. (high intesity of action is desireable, but I dont care about the place (continent) of the production.

THX
Action

Postby Gaijin84 » Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:31 am

Another idea, but I would not be surprised if you've seen these...

The 6-film "Lone Wolf and Cub" series from Japan is incredibly violent, bloody and brutal. Lots of dismemberments and high-pressure blood letting. In that same vein is the "Hanzo the Razor" trilogy, and to a lesser degree the two "Lady Snowblood" films. However, all of these movies are pretty much set in the feudal Japan era.
Japanese movies might be a good bet to explore, with shockers like Battle Royale and Takeshi Kitano's ultra-violent films. Not really martial arts brutality, but lots of gun battles.

Also, one more from Hong Kong would be the original, unedited version of Righting Wrongs.
Gaijin84
HKMDB Immortal

Return to Asian Movies