DVD Beaver Comparison of Seven Samurai

Discussions on Asian cinemas: Japanese, Korean, Thai, ....

DVD Beaver Comparison of Seven Samurai

Postby bmwracer » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:20 pm

This looks to be the 2006 DVD release of the year. :D

http://www.compare.dvdbeaver.com/film/D ... amurai.htm
bmwracer

Postby cal42 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:46 pm

Funnily enough I just watched this film for the first time this weekend (I know, I know, it's shocking isn't it?).

The version I went for was the BFI release. It was OK, but there were a lot of subs missing, which really annoyed me. I thought the film was good, but not quite the best film in the world ever.
cal42

Postby bmwracer » Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:42 am

cal42 wrote:I thought the film was good, but not quite the best film in the world ever.

It grows on you.
bmwracer

Postby cal42 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:24 am

Yeah, that's certainly possible. I think what may have lessened my enjoyment was my previous knowledge of the Magnificent Seven and one of Stephen King's Dark Tower books, which were based on the same story, obviously.
cal42

Postby bmwracer » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:51 pm

cal42 wrote:Yeah, that's certainly possible. I think what may have lessened my enjoyment was my previous knowledge of the Magnificent Seven and one of Stephen King's Dark Tower books, which were based on the same story, obviously.

Yeah, as a kid, I saw more than my share of The Magnificent Seven on TV and didn't realize until high school where it evolved from. Now it's up there with Citizen Kane, Casablanca, and Singin' in the Rain as one of the great all-time movies.
bmwracer

Postby bmwracer » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:04 pm

Got my copy of this three-disc monster and it lives up to DVD Beaver's billing... The restoration is excellent and there's a wealth of extras for aficionados of this great film.

Highly recommended.
bmwracer

Return to Asian Movies