Tony Jaa --> Tom Yum Goong

Discussions on Asian cinemas: Japanese, Korean, Thai, ....

Tony Jaa --> Tom Yum Goong

Postby Gaijin84 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:22 pm

Got to see this movie a couple nights ago and thought I'd share some thoughts and get some opinions from others who might have seen it.

First off, the main reason (only reason?) a lot of people are going to see the movie is for the martial arts. Due to the quality and inventiveness in Ong Bak, I went into the movie with incredibly high expectations. That being said, I was still blown away by the scenes in Tom Yum Goong. There is an initial melee that was par for the course, but after that they kept building and building. I don't want to have any fight spoilers, but a few highlights:

1) Tony's fight with the Capoeira fighter Lateef Crowder: When I've played Tekken, I always thought that Eddy Gordo was kind of a cheap player and his moves were very unrealistic. Watching Lateef Crowder fight is like watching a true life version of Eddy. His ability to string together sweeps and kicks while in contorted, inverted stances makes you get good use from your slo-mo button. The speed, flexibility and power of both fighters is fascinating to watch.

2) The now famous 4 minute, 1 take shot with Tony wreaking havoc in a four story brothel. He works his way up the winding staircase systematically destroying everyone in his path. The camerawork is great in this scene and the preparation to pull it off without a cut must have been overwhelming.

3) One of the final scenes when Tony takes on what seems to be an endless supply of dressed-in-all-black baddies. He incorporates a supposed ancient form of Muay Thai that was used during wars with neighboring countries. When the king of Thailand would ride into battle on his elephant, four special soldiers were designated to protect the legs of the elephant (one for each leg). This form of Muay Thai (called Muay Kotchasan) uses lots of manipulation of the opponent's limbs and subsequent breaks. This awe-inducing scene is one of the most brutal and wince-inducing parts of a movie I have ever seen. I really hope the stuntmen used have been paid the lion's share of the profit. :wink:

I haven't even mentioned Tony's insane fights with the mammoth Nathan Jones - another highlight!

As for the bad parts of the film, they are the ones to be expected. The story doesn't make much sense and honestly it doesn't have to. It would have been nice to have a coherent plot to follow, but as in Ong Bak, after the first fight scene you are simply looking forward to the next rumble. There were also gratuitous product placements in the film that were very distracting. I watched the movie with my girlfriend (who is Thai) and she explained that a bunch of Thai companies had helped produce the movie and therefore had their product displayed. Although this could have been accomplished subtely, it is instead very confusing (watch for the blatant use of a Thai energy drink).
The acting is not a strong point either, but Tony Jaa does seem to be improving a bit. He can actually show a bit of emotion other than extreme rage. Petchthai Wongkamlao is limited in his role and his thick accent garbles a lot of his English lines (he plays an Australian cop) which hinders his comedic aspect. My girlfriend was dying of laughter when he spoke Thai, so I must have missed something.

Defintely a movie to see if you are fan of martial arts, and also to see the maturation of Tony Jaa, who could be a major, major action star if he handles his career well. He now has two very good, introductory films under his belt, so the next one will the real indicator of his future.
Gaijin84
HKMDB Immortal

Postby MrBooth » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:27 am

How'd you see this? VCD? Waiting for a DVD myself... would like to see it on the big screen, but don't want to wait 12 months to see if the Weinsteins actually follow through and release it when they said they will...
MrBooth
HKMDB Immortal

Postby Gaijin84 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:36 pm

Saw it on VCD - the picture quality was quite dark, so I'm also looking forward to the DVD
Gaijin84
HKMDB Immortal

TYG

Postby Beat TG » Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:13 am

I saw it two days ago (only the fights) and it was incredible! it still has some issues, even in some of the fights (Jaa vs Nguyen/John Foo/Nathan Jones.)
Beat TG

Tom Yum Goong

Postby steve_cole1 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:32 pm

i have an official DVD of this film I think that JAA is amazing but it would be good if he could be put in a film with a story but seeing him kick ass is worthwhile
steve_cole1

Postby Brian Thibodeau » Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:42 pm

Where'd you get your DVD, Steve? I've been looking for it for awhile now and would love to get ahold of it. I've only seen VCD releases so far.
Brian Thibodeau

Postby steve_cole1 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:39 pm

I got it off ebay this guy who has an ebay shop his name is anisaki_18
the shops name is HK Cinema Club
The Price is little expensive but for this film worth it
It is region 0
steve_cole1

Postby MrBooth » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:35 pm

Not a legitimate/official DVD I'm afraid - no such thing exists.
MrBooth
HKMDB Immortal

Postby Gaijin84 » Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:05 am

Yeah - I don't beleive the official Thai DVD (which will be the 1st real official one) is due out until early 2006.
Gaijin84
HKMDB Immortal

Postby mcmoinsen » Sun Dec 25, 2005 1:16 pm

MrBooth wrote:Not a legitimate/official DVD I'm afraid - no such thing exists.

The Korean DVD has already been released. If the Thai DVD won't have any subtitles, we'll have to wait for the HK DVD. But then the HK DVD might be cut once more. OK, so we wait for a western cinema release. Even if this means the movie to be shortened to 90mins we can still buy the 2DVD Edition with all cut out scenes and create our own, partially unsubbed DVD... hm. I think I'll learn Thai. Seems the fastest way to enjoy the movie.
Last watched: King Arthur
mcmoinsen

Postby gordo » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:36 am

I saw it recently as well and must say I enjoyed it more than Ong Bak. Better production quality and towards then end when he breaks around 30 arms and legs is worth owning this movie alone.
gordo

Postby PAUL MARTINEZ » Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:51 pm

I have seen some bootleg dvd copies of a movie called Bodyguard with Tony Jaa's name on the cover? Thats not the same film is it?
PAUL MARTINEZ

Postby MrBooth » Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:00 pm

PAUL MARTINEZ wrote:I have seen some bootleg dvd copies of a movie called Bodyguard with Tony Jaa's name on the cover? Thats not the same film is it?

Different film:

http://www.brns.com/thaifilms/pages/thairev66.html
MrBooth
HKMDB Immortal

Postby sbxabyss » Sat May 20, 2006 7:46 pm

Does anyone know if there is a version of TYG with english commentary on the fight sequences. i know the thai vcd i tried to watch in thailand earlier this year had the commentary with the director talking about that steadicam sequence but it was in thai and could not really watch it cuz my dvd player would not play vcds. my thai is rudimentary at best. i meant to bring it back with me from thailand but forgot it.
sbxabyss

Return to Asian Movies